Worst game of Allen’s career

eball

Daboll was always good at getting through to Josh and correcting his detrimental tendencies, highlighting his strengths. Clearly Dorsey does not have this Midas touch, and the QB room is hardly filled with “cagey vets” who could take him aside for a few timely pointers. Maybe Daboll will get fired after this season and the Bills can re-hire him? 🤷🏼‍♂️

51 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Jacksonville 2021

That game had 4 backups on the OL, Jags were getting instant pressure rushing three. Josh didn't have a good game but that was largely why. Given where he is in his career, he has not had a game come close to this one. Horrifying, embarrassing, and I am having worries I never thought I would have again during his tenure.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Do you really believe this? How stupid

Ok fair - 4 options 

He was careless - or could care less - explain the emotionless blank stair on the bench

He reckless and just threw the ball down field with out looking at the defense - doubt it - he is pretty good at reading the field

He is just a really bad QB - which he is not

Or

He threw the game 

3 minutes ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Ok fair - 4 options 

He was careless - or could care less - explain the emotionless blank stair on the bench

He reckless and just threw the ball down field with out looking at the defense - doubt it - he is pretty good at reading the field

Or

He threw the game 

Dude, this is ridiculous.

Obviously Allen is immature. He was embarrassed by the first couple of picks, then pressed and lost control. That's all.

Given he’s entering year 6 … I’d say it could be his worst. 

-“Every possession needs to end in a kick”.   Proceeds to give the Jets the ball 4 times.

-“I need to get better with taking care of myself”.   Literally seeks out contact 5 yards past or short of the sticks for no reason. 

They’re just words at this point.  He doesn’t learn.  And he has no one coaching him correctly because Daboll left, we have a defensive minded HC and while the OL wasn’t awful, they weren’t great, and Allen is regressing due to his lack of trust in them over the the past year. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, SCBills said:

Given he’s entering year 6 … I’d say it could be his worst. 

-“Every possession needs to end in a kick”.   Proceeds to give the Jets the ball 4 times.

-“I need to get better with taking care of myself”.   Literally seeks out on contact 5 yards past or short of the sticks for no reason. 

They’re just words at this point.  He doesn’t learn.  And he has no one coaching him correctly because Daboll left, we have a defensive minded HC and while the OL wasn’t awful, they weren’t great, and Allen is regressing due to his lack of trust in them over the the past year. 

^^^^^^ This.

2 minutes ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Ok fair - 4 options 

Or

He threw the game 

Emotionless stares usually suggest not being in the headspace to think clearly and logically. That would tie in with the way he played in the second half up to the final drive.

I don’t get what switched though. The first half was fine from him.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Simon said:

It was certainly the worst half.

I thought he was all right in the first except for a couple poor decisions.

He was JP Losman in the 2nd.

I was really happy at halftime.  He wasn't lighting it up - but he was playing well, against a really good defense.

The wheels just came off.  But ultimately, it was just one bad half.

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m a huge Allen homer, you all know that. What I’m missing is his obvious fire and will to win that he always used to wear on his sleeve and inspire teammates with—I haven’t seen that since before the Bengals game—just a lot of emotionless/blank sitting on the bench when you should be getting in guys’ faces and pumped up for the next shot—Peyton pointed this out too in the manningcast towards the end of the game. What gives??

Agreed.  Not sure what the deal is.  He’s just different now

• Agree 1

Considering his age (27), and the fact Allen is in the supposed prime of his career this has to be the worst game. Allen’s lack of composure and situational awareness was evident tonight, and it cost us the game. Don’t take my words on it, take Allen’s. He said he cost us the game. He certainly did. It was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

45 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

In fairness to him though, can you really paint him for his 2018 rookie season games where the likes of Kelvin “burner” Benjamin were running excuses of routes for him out there? Also his rushing was off the charts back then…

41 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I prefer to call him Kelvin "1 KFC biscuit short of being a TE" Benjamin. 

Just pointing out that Allen has had quite a few worse games than this one. 

Ah yes, Kelvin Benjamin.  I forgot about him.

I recall the enthusiasm this board showed for him the day it was announced we acquired him.

I was urging caution saying he's not particularly good...and taking flak for it....as usual....

• Haha (+1) 1

If anyone has his 1st half and 2nd half stats post them, because that was a bizarre transformation. Forcing deep balls into double coverage, not going out of bounds to get an extra yard, etc, etc, it was just insanely aggressive to do that against a backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

I just don’t understand it. He has ALLLLL the tools to be successful. He just plays like he has a Cam Newton brain half the time. Like needing flash cards on the sidelines dumb. He makes some of the most questionable decisions ever and yet has some of the most physical gifted displays you will ever see. He is such an enigma. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

and then he randomly remembered who he was for the last drive of the 4th quarter.

Thank YOU.

He still got them into position to tie at the fickle finger of the Football God's doing. They had other plans in OT.

But... That was a trip! YET I would have rather lost on punt return than a kick! 😕 

BUT... Always a chance something else happens if they call the penalty they should have!

Just get us off that horrible field in New Jersey without any injury! The loss I can get over!

Dunno if worst, but he was pretty awful. Dude needs to stand in the pocket and dice a defense with accurate darts not this hero ball slopfest. 

That said, I do think tonight we got a top 5 NFL defense amped for opening night with Rodgers and then re-amped to rally around his injury. This is correctable stuff and overwhelmingly resides between Allen’s ears. 

6 hours ago, Simon said:

It was certainly the worst half.

I thought he was all right in the first except for a couple poor decisions.

He was JP Losman in the 2nd.

Good observation! Josh's panic and crumble, double fumble and 2 horrible overthrows were Losman-esque. I didnt realize that I had any memories of that guy until you mentioned that point!

It is his worst game because it's year 7.  There are no excuses why he should have played that badly. I'm going to die on the hill that something is wrong with this young man and it goes beyond football, and if the Bills FO can't recognize this and help him get it fixed, it is only going to get worse.

• Agree 1

I'm really beginning to think Allen would rather lose than play dink football. He equates winning with the big play, not the score at the end of the game. He'll feel bad for awhile now--and go back to the same pattern. What's different now? Humiliation on national TV? Been there done that. High-stakes game? Ditto. A long offseason to get his act together? He's had several. 

If the Bills go all the way, it will only because other teams don't or can't follow Saleh's blueprint. 

He was LOST last night. Tunnel vision mixed with poor decision-making. Josh lacked any sort of presence in the pocket. He turned it over 5 times (fortunately they blew one dead). Twice he could have run for huge gains and he threw a pick on one and an incompletion on the other. I’m comfortable saying that’s the worst that I’ve ever seen him. 

Also, Dorsey sucks. Can someone tell me why they never move the pocket?? They should have him moving every play. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was LOST last night. Tunnel vision mixed with poor decision-making. Josh lacked any sort of presence in the pocket. He turned it over 5 times (fortunately they blew one dead). Twice he could have run for huge gains and he threw a pick on one and an incompletion on the other. I’m comfortable saying that’s the worst that I’ve ever seen him. 

Also, Dorsey sucks. Can someone tell me why they never move the pocket?? They should have him moving every play. 

We're at the WYSIWYG point with Allen.  Fun, nice, affable guy.  Reckless and casual on and off the field.  It is what it is.  

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He also had a potential pick dropped by CJ Mosley. Last night, he looked like an unholy combination of Trent “Captain Checkdown” Edwards and Ryan Fitzpicksix. Also, the coordinator is really not good. That game plan made no sense, particularly the situational aspect. I have quite low expectations for this season. I am expecting 9 or even 8 wins. 

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep.  It’s like he didn’t know where he was on the field half the time too.  The TD to Diggs was pure luck his back heel was on LOS.  He wanted to pass on another play when he was 7 yards past LOS.  He consistently ran right into their D-Linemen when there wasn’t pressure, and inexplicably took hits when there was no reason too.  That was about as bad as you can play QB mixed in with a handful of wow plays.  

It’s clear Dorsey needs to go.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.