Former Bills WR Mike Williams passes away from injuries sustained in construction accident

Bermuda Triangle

This is a sad day for his family, friends, and Bills fans.

I also just need to mention Mike Williams is not to be confused with Mike Williams, the OT, whom the Bills drafted 4th overall in 2002:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Williams_(offensive_lineman)

Or the Mike Willams, also a WR, who played for Detroit, Oakland, Tennessee, and Seattle in the oughts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Williams_(wide_receiver,_born_1984)

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Jesus man, the thought that these guys have to work in a construction site after playing football professionally is saddening. 

May he rest in peace 😔

I respect that he didn’t have a big enough ego to do it. But this is really sad to me. I worked construction a few summers and remember being in a lift bucket 5 stories and having to use a ladder to climb on a roof. I was just thinking I don’t want to die doing this job. There are some crazy things on construction sites.

Buffalo kid made good. His last catch I believe is an 80 yard td. So sad. 😞

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Every single college athlete should be required to take a class in finance during their freshman year. Most high schools don't , or at least don't require it, and if you don't come from background where you can acquire that knowledge informally it's really easy to blow through that amount of money in a short period of time. Without even thinking about it, reduce that 15 million figure by at least 50%. Then get into his agent's fee, his lawyer, any houses, cars, jewelry, business ventures, loans and gifts to friends, etc.  Hell, it's downright easy to spend 7.5 million over a 10 year span.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Man I really liked the talent EJ had. 

First of all, RIP to that young man.  Way, way too young.

Second, I agree with you.  Marrone just ruined him.  EJ’s psyche needed a coach like Sean Payton or Andy Reid, and he got a douchebag instead.

That’s not an excuse for EJ, but it is an explanation.  Different guys need different buttons pushed to reach their potential.  The Bills failed EJ, and EJ didn’t have the mental makeup to overcome it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Every single college athlete should be required to take a class in finance during their freshman year. Most high schools don't , or at least don't require it, and if you don't come from background where you can acquire that knowledge informally it's really easy to blow through that amount of money in a short period of time. Without even thinking about it, reduce that 15 million figure by at least 50%. Then get into his agent's fee, his lawyer, any houses, cars, jewelry, business ventures, loans and gifts to friends, etc.  Hell, it's downright easy to spend 7.5 million over a 10 year span.

do you think some finance course will make a difference?  these guys are selected for their ability to play a game, not for their smarts or wisdom.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HomeTeam said:

Jesus man, the thought that these guys have to work in a construction site after playing football professionally is saddening. 

May he rest in peace 😔

He didn’t make the big money that players do now, and perhaps his financial planning skills were lacking, but he still lived his dream briefly … RIP Caveman Mike 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He didn’t make the big money that players do now, and perhaps his financial planning skills were lacking, but he still lived his dream briefly … RIP Caveman Mike 

He made more than $11M over the course of his career, which ended nearly 10 years ago (back when $11M was a lot of money 😜).  He was a big strong man who could certainly manage working in construction, and if that's the path his life took, he apparently made the best of it.  

The news stories about his death started with a report from a Buffalo TV station, as far as I can tell, but I haven't seen anything that says specifically where the accident occurred that led to his death.  Was it somewhere in the Buffalo area?

12 hours ago, HomeTeam said:

May he rest in peace 😔

My father who was a project manager was murdered while working at a construction site in Niagara Falls along with others, poison like from Love Canal. Construction sites are high risk in more ways than one and to see he had to work that kind of a job to make ends meet is sad.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

He made more than $11M over the course of his career, which ended nearly 10 years ago (back when $11M was a lot of money 😜).  He was a big strong man who could certainly manage working in construction, and if that's the path his life took, he apparently made the best of it.  

The news stories about his death started with a report from a Buffalo TV station, as far as I can tell, but I haven't seen anything that says specifically where the accident occurred that led to his death.  Was it somewhere in the Buffalo area?

Was that $11M before taxes, his agent, business manager, etc all get their part of it or $11M he actually put in his bank account?  And its not like 100% of that money is just there when his career ends, I mean they spend money during their career especially when they believe their career is going to keep continuing, and that doesn't mean they are blowing money either.  

I mean if it was before all that stuff, then he probably got closer to $5M and that is not a lot of money (nor was it then) to support your family for life.  And that isn't taking into account any money spent on things while he was playing and had contracts thinking his career was going to continue.  

Just because he was working construction doesn't mean he was broke living pay check to pay check.  He could have still had assets like real estate they owned, had money in the bank or invested, etc.  He would still need to work to pay bills because the worst thing he could do is not work and just live on the money only.  

Most NFL players needs to work when their careers are over and won't have enough money to just live on for the rest of their life unless they reached a higher tier of success in their NFL career.  

13 hours ago, chongli said:

This is a sad day for his family, friends, and Bills fans.

I also just need to mention Mike Williams is not to be confused with Mike Williams, the OT, whom the Bills drafted 4th overall in 2002:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Williams_(offensive_lineman)

Or the Mike Willams, also a WR, who played for Detroit, Oakland, Tennessee, and Seattle in the oughts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Williams_(wide_receiver,_born_1984)

My wife, who doesn't know much about Bills history told me last night that Mike Williams died.  I asked her, the 1st round offensive tackle from Texas?  She said yes.  So I was thinking it was him until I got to this thread this morning.  It's terribly sad when any former Bills player or any person passes this young.  RIP Mike and condolences to your family.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

It sounds like it was in Tampa and steel beam fell on his head. 😞 https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12485131/amp/Ex-NFL-star-Mike-Williams-dead-36-Former-Buffalo-Bills-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-wide-receiver-suffered-fatal-injuries-construction-site-accident.html

also, stupid lazy media has a picture of Aaron Williams. You would think they would double check it.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.