Former Bills WR Mike Williams passes away from injuries sustained in construction accident

Bermuda Triangle

On 9/5/2023 at 10:23 PM, HomeTeam said:

Jesus man, the thought that these guys have to work in a construction site after playing football professionally is saddening. 

May he rest in peace 😔

Well those that didn't set aside any of their nfl money have to work.  Gronk was smart he banked invested his nfl money and just lived on the money he got with endorsements.   For all the talk about Diggs yearning for strip clubs...   anyone else see his Instagram post in offseason where he was fixing his daughters hair like a pro.  Think he has different priorities than  strip clubs.

23 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Every single college athlete should be required to take a class in finance during their freshman year. Most high schools don't , or at least don't require it, and if you don't come from background where you can acquire that knowledge informally it's really easy to blow through that amount of money in a short period of time. Without even thinking about it, reduce that 15 million figure by at least 50%. Then get into his agent's fee, his lawyer, any houses, cars, jewelry, business ventures, loans and gifts to friends, etc.  Hell, it's downright easy to spend 7.5 million over a 10 year span.

Yea. I think every agent should be setting up a proper financial plan for the v player to set aside a percent a ge in trust for that players future housing needs plus a small allowance for food and utilities.  Easy to afford a acceptable modest home with the money they earn in  nfl.  While 0laying they can even rent out the home for extra money in their trust.  If they have a 2nd career in whatever interests them then the trust is still getting income from his house if he does not need it. Maybe prefers a apartment. 

59 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

So many crazy reports. 

Think they mixing up a couple different Mike Williams.  

Edited by AuntieEm

From CBS:

Williams, 36, had been working in Hillsborough County when he was injured last week, according to the mother of his 8-year-old daughter, Tierney Lyle. The former NFL player was mostly nonresponsive when visited Wednesday afternoon, and while the plan is reportedly for Williams to be removed from life support in the ICU, that has yet to occur.

"They were waiting on me and Tierney ," Lyle said. "We're here and still trying to figure it out.

"He was asleep when we went in there and he woke up when he heard our voices and his daughter's voice. And he looked around, and he blinked and he was crying, but he can't move."

• Sad 12

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

no but sacrificing your body for generational wealth and then losing that retirement money and having to go back to the grind in a tough labor role is a bit of a bummer, no? 

I hand you $15m today and in 2030 you are working construction and I think we can both agree it’s not one of the outcomes you’d be most happy to see. 

I had forgotten about the big contract but he earned 11.8M in the nfl which is more than I was thinking but it’s also not that hard to squander when you have no clue.  He could have beeen set up reasonably well 

34 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I had forgotten about the big contract but he earned 11.8M in the nfl which is more than I was thinking but it’s also not that hard to squander when you have no clue.  He could have beeen set up reasonably well 

Financial planning is a must for a professional athlete

Or a mama that they listen to

• Agree 1

So if he's not dead and almost completely paralyzed (below the waist and right arm), how is that living? Personally I would not want to be alive if that happened to me, period. I simply cannot process this update going from dead to almost complete paralysis it makes me so sick and is extremely heavy on my soul after finding this out. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-former-nfl-wide-receiver-mike-williams-suffered-complete-paralysis-from-waist-down-from-life-threatening-accident/ar-AA1glN0B

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Well those that didn't set aside any of their nfl money have to work.  Gronk was smart he banked invested his nfl money and just lived on the money he got with endorsements.   For all the talk about Diggs yearning for strip clubs...   anyone else see his Instagram post in offseason where he was fixing his daughters hair like a pro.  Think he has different priorities than  strip clubs.

I think those two sides of him very clearly co-exist but it’s a strange strange place for that discussion. 

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So if he's not dead and almost completely paralyzed (below the waist and right arm), how is that living? Personally I would not want to be alive if that happened to me, period. I simply cannot process this update going from dead to almost complete paralysis it makes me so sick and is extremely heavy on my soul after finding this out. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-former-nfl-wide-receiver-mike-williams-suffered-complete-paralysis-from-waist-down-from-life-threatening-accident/ar-AA1glN0B

He could still have a wheelchair to get around controlled by his good arm. 

it’s certainly not ideal but I think a lot of folks would rather be around still. Big moments with their kids, etc… is a lot of incentive to struggle through the care needed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

There’s an old study that compares the level of happiness in accident victims and people who win the lottery. If you don’t think you could have a happy/productive life as a paralyzed person it’s because you don’t have to. If you did, you could. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/690806/

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Exceptionally well*. He could have earned 360k per year in interest alone on 6 million of those career earnings. That doesn’t even count the fact that he would still have the principal. That’s assuming he paid 6 million to taxes, agent, squandered a reasonable amount on garbage. 

On 9/5/2023 at 10:23 PM, HomeTeam said:

Jesus man, the thought that these guys have to work in a construction site after playing football professionally is saddening. 

That's the sad part?  The mere thought of it?

What if you work construction without having played pro football (nearly everyone in construction)? Should those people feel better or worse after reading your comment?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Exceptionally well*. He could have earned 360k per year in interest alone on 6 million of those career earnings. That doesn’t even count the fact that he would still have the principal. That’s assuming he paid 6 million to taxes, agent, squandered a reasonable amount on garbage. 

COuld have earned plenty in the market....where woudl he have gotten better than 5% interest the last 15 years?  

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's the sad part?  The mere thought of it?

What if you work construction without having played pro football (nearly everyone in construction)? Should those people feel better or worse after reading your comment?

I work in construction xD

A bit more info on Mike WIlliams:

Two people close to Williams said his on-the-job accident was not initially thought to be life-threatening. He was hit in the head with a beam while doing electrical work on Aug. 21, a friend said, but his situation took a turn when his laceration became infected. Williams was hospitalized on Sept. 1 and eventually had to be induced him into a coma.

Williams, 36, had been on life support this week after suffering complications from a workplace accident. He was taken off a ventilator Thursday evening but is surviving and remains responsive, according to Tierney Lyle, the mother of Williams’ 8-year-old daughter.

Link to WIVB article

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:45 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It does require a shift in perspective and self identity, for sure, and that would probably be even more pronounced for a former pro athlete. I'm sure a big part of his identity is rooted in his athleticism and physical strength.

But people can make that shift and find happiness even in the face of tremendous physical adversity, and part of that comes from the realization that you are more than your physical body and physical abilities. You have value in many other areas.

Christopher Reeve is a good example. He accomplished a lot after his accident and even continued acting.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.