Former Bills WR Mike Williams passes away from injuries sustained in construction accident

Bermuda Triangle

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

A bit more info on Mike WIlliams:

Two people close to Williams said his on-the-job accident was not initially thought to be life-threatening. He was hit in the head with a beam while doing electrical work on Aug. 21, a friend said, but his situation took a turn when his laceration became infected. Williams was hospitalized on Sept. 1 and eventually had to be induced him into a coma.

Williams, 36, had been on life support this week after suffering complications from a workplace accident. He was taken off a ventilator Thursday evening but is surviving and remains responsive, according to Tierney Lyle, the mother of Williams’ 8-year-old daughter.

Link to WIVB article

So is he really paralyzed from the waist down?

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No idea.

I've never heard of paralysis in the lower extremities being the result of an infected head wound.

I couldn't even begin to guess if that's possible.

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Apparently this was written by his father on the GoFundMe page they created:

A steel beam falling on his head caused massive injuries but he never gained consciousness. After suffering a “massive” head injury, he also had massive swelling on his brain and would be paralyzed.

“As a result of this accident, there was swelling on his brain and swelling on his spinal cord that was ruptured,” Williams’ father said. “These injuries resulted in complete paralysis in his right arm as well as his lower body from the waist down.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Apparently this was written by his father on the GoFundMe page they created:

A steel beam falling on his head caused massive injuries but he never gained consciousness. After suffering a “massive” head injury, he also had massive swelling on his brain and would be paralyzed.

“As a result of this accident, there was swelling on his brain and swelling on his spinal cord that was ruptured,” Williams’ father said. “These injuries resulted in complete paralysis in his right arm as well as his lower body from the waist down.

This entire story is confusing; I just pray for the best for the young man.

I wonder if this was supposed to say "never lost consciousness?" 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

This entire story is confusing; I just pray for the best for the young man.

I wonder if this was supposed to say "never lost consciousness?" 

Probably, considering that he didn't end up in the hospital until a week later.

Agreed on the confusion. The reports are not necessarily contradictory, but they just don't seem to mesh into a coherent narrative.

Can't do much but hope for the best at this point.

On 9/7/2023 at 6:40 AM, John from Riverside said:

Financial planning is a must for a professional athlete

An aside: a former Bill (fairly well known) is a financial planner for athletes, and doing quite well.

He told me that he saw too many players pissing away their money--plus he had a college internship at a financial institution--and thus he got into this market niche.

19 hours ago, Simon said:

Probably, considering that he didn't end up in the hospital until a week later.

Agreed on the confusion. The reports are not necessarily contradictory, but they just don't seem to mesh into a coherent narrative.

Can't do much but hope for the best at this point.

Sounds like his dad embellished (being kind here) for the purposes of donations.

Williams had a non life threatening head laceration that got infected, probably got septic/intubated/extubated/recovering.

Man I remember watching Riverside play my highschool in playoff basketball with Mike Williams and Johnny Flynn on their team. 

Pre-game warmups looked like the NBA Slam Dunk competition.

After the opening tip off, Mike Williams gets the ball and immediately shoots a 3-pt shot from behind the half court line and swoosh, down 3-0. That's when the game ended.

Edited by Kaenon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, MJS said:

It does require a shift in perspective and self identity, for sure, and that would probably be even more pronounced for a former pro athlete. I'm sure a big part of his identity is rooted in his athleticism and physical strength.

But people can make that shift and find happiness even in the face of tremendous physical adversity, and part of that comes from the realization that you are more than your physical body and physical abilities. You have value in many other areas.

Christopher Reeve is a good example. He accomplished a lot after his accident and even continued acting.

I am not Christopher Reeve, however. There are many who could do it, but I am not that person. Robin Williams wasn't that person either. It's not a bad thing to have differing opinions on how a person would handle being almost completely paralyzed.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

4 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Man I remember watching Riverside play my highschool in playoff basketball with Mike Williams and Johnny Flynn on their team. 

Pre-game warmups looked like the NBA Slam Dunk competition.

After the opening tip off, Mike Williams gets the ball and immediately shoots a 3-pt shot from behind the half court line and swoosh, down 3-0. That's when the game ended.

Flynn went to Niagara falls

10 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I am not Christopher Reeve, however. There are many who could do it, but I am not that person. Robin Williams wasn't that person either. It's not a bad thing to have differing opinions on how a person would handle being almost completely paralyzed.

I hear you man.  I don't think I could do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I didnt go through the whole thread. Did anyone ever report the details of the accident? What happened exactly?

Seems like he got hit in the head with a steel beam that laid him open. Then didn't treat it properly and nearly a week later it became infected and ended up with him in the hospital. May have been so bad that they induced a coma and had him on life support. Removed him from life support about 4 days ago and he was breathing on his own.

Mush of this is inferred from incomplete reports but it's about all I've got.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Former Bills WR Mike Williams passes away from injuries sustained in construction accident
  • 3 months later...

https://www.wkrn.com/news/national/former-nfl-player-mike-williams-cause-of-death-confirmed-by-officials/

"Former NFL player Mike Williams’ cause of death confirmed by officials"

"Williams, who played college ball at Syracuse before being selected in the 4th round of the 2010 NFL draft, was working on a construction site when he sustained injuries after heavy supplies landed on his head.

While initially believed to be non-life-threatening, Williams was hospitalized after his symptoms worsened that week, his mother told News 2’s sister station, WIVB.

The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Department said his death was caused by “Bacterial Sepsis with Cerebral Abscesses and Necrotizing Lobar Pneumonia due to multiple Dental Caries and retained tooth roots.” Officials also listed Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease as a contributing factor.

A cerebral abscess is a collection of pus the develops in the brain due to infections, according to John Hopkins Medicine. It can cause your brain to swell and restrict blood flow. Bacterial sepsis is a life-threatening medical emergency caused by the body’s extreme response to infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said. If not treated in time, it can cause tissue damage, organ failure, and death."

Buffalo released some videos of Mike Williams' time at Buffalo two weeks ago:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/mike-williams-comes-full-circle-13397417

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/mike-williams-it-s-going-to-be-surreal-13523518

His cause of death is scary. A few cavities becomes an abscess and sepsis. RIP.

Edited by chongli
  • Sad 2

The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office in Florida said Thursday that Williams’ cause of death was “bacterial sepsis with cerebral abscesses and necrotizing lobar pneumonia due to multiple dental caries and retained dental roots,” according to ESPN, which is a rare condition linked to poor dental health that leads to infections.

Wow

7 hours ago, chongli said:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/national/former-nfl-player-mike-williams-cause-of-death-confirmed-by-officials/

"Williams, who played college ball at Syracuse before being selected in the 4th round of the 2010 NFL draft, was working on a construction site when he sustained injuries after heavy supplies landed on his head.

While initially believed to be non-life-threatening, Williams was hospitalized after his symptoms worsened that week, his mother told News 2’s sister station, WIVB.

The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Department said his death was caused by “Bacterial Sepsis with Cerebral Abscesses and Necrotizing Lobar Pneumonia due to multiple Dental Caries and retained tooth roots.” Officials also listed Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease as a contributing factor.

A cerebral abscess is a collection of pus the develops in the brain due to infections, according to John Hopkins Medicine. It can cause your brain to swell and restrict blood flow. Bacterial sepsis is a life-threatening medical emergency caused by the body’s extreme response to infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said. If not treated in time, it can cause tissue damage, organ failure, and death."

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/mike-williams-it-s-going-to-be-surreal-13523518

Wow, sepsis is no f****** way you want to go.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Sad man. You know a lot of people who know Williams. He was definitely a bit of a knucklehead (and when you’re a multiple sport star like he was you get full of yourself) but he grew up a lot. To think he was working construction and earning an honest living and got this from work is really sad. 

I also believe his last catch in the nfl was an 80 yard td from EJ. Sad story. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, chongli said:

Poor healthcare kills

• Sad 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, Mr. WEO said:

That's the sad part?  The mere thought of it?

What if you work construction without having played pro football (nearly everyone in construction)? Should those people feel better or worse after reading your comment?

Working 12-16 hr shifts in a paper mill gives me little sympathy for someone who burns through nfl paychecks or lottery winnings.  I do sympathize with him for the injury.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Working 12-16 hr shifts in a paper mill gives me little sympathy for someone who burns through nfl paychecks or lottery winnings.  I do sympathize with him for the injury.

I've always wondered if it smells the same inside as it does outside?

If so, do you stop noticing it eventually?

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've always wondered if it smells the same inside as it does outside?

If so, do you stop noticing it eventually?

I used to drive a buddy home from work after long days working as a fishmonger. I never got used to that smell, and my car took a few days to get over it. Regardless of weather, the windows were down.  🤢 🤮 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I used to drive a buddy home from work after long days working as a fishmonger. I never got used to that smell, and my car took a few days to get over it. Regardless of weather, the windows were down.  🤢 🤮 

Somebody, somewhere, is driving my Wrangler with Wild Turkey puke still unfindable all up in there...🤣

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Do you work at the mill in Niagara Falls?  I used to work for Valmet and staffed the maintenance team over there about 10 years ago.

23 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Dental insurance isn’t a “real insurance” as your costs don’t skyrocket very much (vs. cancer)

It’s sad because it was likely prevented, with merely a couple thousand dollars. People generally don’t realize it

I would think the pain from numerous cavities that have advanced to such a point that they are anywhere near bacterial sepsis would bring a person to an emergency dentist at the hospital. Scary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.