Matt Milano Appreciation Thread

Beck Water

It's kind of weird.  The Bills have been a high-profile team since McD and Josh came to town.  And yet Milano - despite his superior play being pointed out by announcers - hasn't seemed to have gotten the respect nationally that he deserved.  

Good to see that changing.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Some tidbits on Milano:

First, in terms of passer rating against defensive players, he was 13th best in the entire NFL last season, and that includes all CBs and safeties: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm. QBs had only a 62.6 rating against him (sort the page by passer rating).

Secondly, in PFR's equivalent of WAR/VORP for the NFL -- AV (approximate value) -- Milano was rated a 19 last season. That was third overall: Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts tied for first at 20, and Milano was tied for third at 19 with Mahomes. 

Bottom line: he is ELITE. 

Finally, https://theathletic.com/4727127/2023/07/28/nfl-draft-franchise-defensive-players/ (great piece overall, but paywalled; I'm including the bit on Milano):

'Let’s finish with the second level of defense: linebackers and slot defenders. On the former, what does it take to succeed at that position in the modern game? On the latter, what kind of nickel defender do you prefer: a third corner, safety or off-ball linebacker?

Baumgardner: We don’t have a Luke Kuechly playing right now, I don’t think. Closest to that would be San Francisco 49ers LB Fred Warner — no disrespect to Bobby Wagner, who is still getting it done. Another guy I love is Bills standout Matt Milano. The thing all these guys have in common is that they are coverage assets.

It’s so hard to find guys who can take the physical burden you’re asking in the box while maintaining stamina and focus to be functional coverage players. This position, to me, is as mental as any on the field. Its offensive counterpart today is more tight end than running back. There’s a lot going on, so on top of being athletic enough, the player has to be insanely dependable from an IQ standpoint.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's kind of weird.  The Bills have been a high-profile team since McD and Josh came to town.  And yet Milano - despite his superior play being pointed out by announcers - hasn't seemed to have gotten the respect nationally that he deserved.  

Good to see that changing.  

Idk, a couple ProBowls and an All Pro would signify otherwise. I know WE love him and he’s missed every game he hasn’t suited up for- which, thankfully, hasn’t been often the last couple seasons.

The man is a BEAST!

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

No QB is calling milk checks on Matty Milano

LOL.  That was actually one of the funniest parts of the Mlik Check segment on Bussin with the Boys.

One of the boys asked Josh something like "you call that on Matt Milano?"

Josh says "He's Italian"

No Milk Check on the Guido Torpedo

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/28/2023 at 7:45 AM, Nextmanup said:

A guy like Milano makes you rethink the NFL's reliance on numbers and the combine.

He is a LB the size of a strong safety, but it doesn't really matter.

If you can play, you can play.

Smaller LBs have gotten it done for years and years, so I don't think Milano is changing anything within the professional sector. 

NFL professionals know the ideal numbers and that the combine is good for such data. They also know how to evaluate play on the field and that advanced metrics add substance to an evaluation.

I think the reliance on numbers and the combine is all media and fan driven. Non-football types are the ones who use those as crutches.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:45 AM, Nextmanup said:

A guy like Milano makes you rethink the NFL's reliance on numbers and the combine.

He is a LB the size of a strong safety, but it doesn't really matter.

If you can play, you can play.

True, but I think they might have whiffed hoping that Terrel Bernard could replicate Milano’s success.  I think we might see the Bills try to swing a trade before the regular season to find someone who can reasonably play along with Milano.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

True, but I think they might have whiffed hoping that Terrel Bernard could replicate Milano’s success.  I think we might see the Bills try to swing a trade before the regular season to find someone who can reasonably play along with Milano.

Well possible of course but it's equally plausible they got the players that can compliment each other and practicing against our new plsymakers will keep them ready to shut down opponents.  I can see our defense raise their recent game and I can see the Bills offense right there with them and I don't think Bills new offense is gonna be stopped by any defensescout there.  No one has the defensive horses to stop them and I dont see the Bills vets regressing they are still very hungry and I think they are more focused and players will be as healthy as Bills trainers usually keep them fit with all the therapies they offer players on getzingnover bumps and bruises.  Last year they were overwhelmed.  This year they will overwhelm other teams as Josh and company claim their rightful place.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think the point is more it is only the last 12 months that a lot of the league has woken up to how good he is.

Beg to different, GB. I’m positive every team who’s played us knows he’s great. Outsiders? Pffft.. who cares.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, Starr Almighty said:

When we 1st got him I liked him but never thought of him becoming what he has become. Dedication and hard work has worked in his favor. 

In Buffalo he has been working solo with a Chinese martial arts teacher who does not want publicity.  Last year he worked on his core and it shows.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Tre White, too, probably.

Maybe 2019 Tre.  Gotta see it to believe it at this point.  Sounds like Tre might be back to form, so there’s a chance.  Based on Milanos 2022 season- I think he’s a better LB than tre is cornerback 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.