Bills working out FA receiver Andy Isabella tomorrow UPDATE: SIGNED

Roundybout

I remember really wanting him in the draft, but he's been a complete turd in 4 NFL seasons since.

He did have 102 catches for 1698yd & 15 TDs in his senior year at UMASS.

His final college game vs Georgia: 15 catches, 219yd, 2 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

It's just due diligence.  Beane and his staff continue to scout players by bringing them in for tryouts.  The more Beane does that now, the more he knows who to sign when we have injuries later in the season.  Particularly, in this case, if Harty gets hurt.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One of the MOST overhyped draft prospects ever. Should have gone rounds 6 or 7. Went round 2. Mental.

Yup. I liked him that late for his speed alone. Didn't the Cardinals cut him in the middle of having a ton of WR injuries? Not a great sign 

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can you imagine Beane properly addressing the WR position in FA/draft so he doesn’t have to bring in flyers in late July/August? 😅

People who down vote this are just butthurt delusional that this team can do no wrong. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yup. I liked him that late for his speed alone. Didn't the Cardinals cut him in the middle of having a ton of WR injuries? Not a great sign 

Yea if someone had taken a flier in say round 4 I'd have thought "bit rich but I get it".  Round 2 was mental. Small school receiver, used as a gadget guy and, 5'9, 180 something? Wow.

• Agree 1

Worth it on his speed and athleticism alone. From his draft profile:

Competitive, well-rounded receiver possessing both elite quickness and long speed to go with solid play strength. Isabella has the feet and fakes to uncover in a hallway closet, and the former high school sprint champion proved to Georgia that his ability to win deep should not be underestimated. Isabella could become a menace on option routes with the ability to add vertical routes from the slot, but he must improve his pass-catching consistency and smoothness into his breaks in order to transition all that speed to the NFL.

Ceiling is a Beasley/Welker/Edelman type slot guy. Could be the slot yin to Kincaid’s yang, so to speak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not seeing much in the way of upside with this guy, the kick returner mention up thread would be his only way in, if at all.

A few thoughts about Andy Isabella:

- That was quite a jump to go from UMass to the NFL, let alone to be drafted in the 2nd round, and then needing to meet the expectations of a 2nd round draft choice, (Producing sooner rather than later).  I'm willing to bet he's learned a lot about an NFL offense (Which he likely saw nothing of at UMass) in the last few years and he's much more ready to contribute.

- The Cardinals organization isn't exactly a place where players become the "best version of themselves" as is often something our Bills often pride themselves on and which our team has the "system" in place to allow this to happen.

- I'm not so sure the types offense employed in Arizona and Baltimore were a best fit for Andy.  I think the Bills offense, quarterback, and the role they have in mind for Andy will be a much better fit than at his previous stops.

Conclusion:  Getting Andy in for a mere try-out at this point is an excellent investment by the Bills.  Hopefully it leads to something productive for him and our team.

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
additional info
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I have wanted this guy for like 3 years. 
Just go deep kid, one route. His speed paired with a big armed quarterback has to be good for at least 3 or 4  30+ yard touchdowns a year. The offense has lacked speed for years. McKenzie imo never figured out how to use his speed against decent defenses, and seemed to trip on his own feet a ton. 
I’d be happy to sign Isabella and let him battle it out for a spot or small role of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

One of the MOST overhyped draft prospects ever. Should have gone rounds 6 or 7. Went round 2. Mental.

4.29 speed with D1 production won't last till round 6-7

You can kick the tires on a 4.3 guy with ZERO production and get him late..  but he had production 

Hindsight is 20/20 but he wasn't lasting till the mid 4th let alone 7th

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

4.29 speed with D1 production won't last till round 6-7

You can kick the tires on a 4.3 guy with ZERO production and get him late..  but he had production 

Hindsight is 20/20 but he wasn't lasting till the 4th let alone 7th

Well clearly he didn't. But he should have.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well clearly he didn't. But he should have.

Well absolutely

But speed kills and speed with production is hard to pass up for NFL teams ... He wasn't my favorite prospect... I wasn't too high on him

But I can see why teams liked him coming out... They were hoping for desean Jackson but he isn't that guy

28 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Worth it on his speed and athleticism alone. From his draft profile:

Competitive, well-rounded receiver possessing both elite quickness and long speed to go with solid play strength. Isabella has the feet and fakes to uncover in a hallway closet, and the former high school sprint champion proved to Georgia that his ability to win deep should not be underestimated. Isabella could become a menace on option routes with the ability to add vertical routes from the slot, but he must improve his pass-catching consistency and smoothness into his breaks in order to transition all that speed to the NFL.

Ceiling is a Beasley/Welker/Edelman type slot guy. Could be the slot yin to Kincaid’s yang, so to speak.

That was 4,5 years ago. Hasnt worked out so well for him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.