Bills working out FA receiver Andy Isabella tomorrow UPDATE: SIGNED

Roundybout

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well absolutely

But speed kills and speed with production is hard to pass up for NFL teams ... He wasn't my favorite prospect... I wasn't too high on him

But I can see why teams liked him coming out... They were hoping for desean Jackson but he isn't that guy

Yeah I agree, speed kills. But I don’t like how he catches the ball with his body and a lot of drops. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Can you imagine Beane properly addressing the WR position in FA/draft so he doesn’t have to bring in flyers in late July/August? 😅

Can anyone imagine @ScottLaw actually understanding what a GM’s job is?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, wppete said:

Yeah I agree, speed kills. But I don’t like how he catches the ball with his body and a lot of drops. 

He's a camp body at this point but if josh can make Robert foster flash for a while... He might be able to get something out of Isabella 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well absolutely

But speed kills and speed with production is hard to pass up for NFL teams ... He wasn't my favorite prospect... I wasn't too high on him

But I can see why teams liked him coming out... They were hoping for desean Jackson but he isn't that guy

But it was production at a low level. If his production had been in a power 5 conference I can completely see look at the speed, look at the production, ignore the usage and ignore the size. 

But there were more cons than pros for me. I never got it then and I still don't.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But it was production at a low level. If his production had been in a power 5 conference I can completely see look at the speed, look at the production, ignore the usage and ignore the size. 

But there were more cons than pros for me. I never got it then and I still don't.

I know to a hardcore guy across the pond you see UMASS and say low level ...

But I promise you EVERY SINGLE D1 FOOTBALL PLAYER has immense skills and talent 

We aren't even talking FCS / D1AA which are still really really good football players.. top HS players in the country 

I'd call D3 a lower level ... And there's still talent there .. having played D1... I have the utmost respect for ANY D1 player from UB to UMASS to Alabama

Every kid on UB is insane ... That just shows you how good the kids at Georgia are 

Every football player grows up wanting a D1 scholarship.... Whether from Georgia southern or Georgia ... You got a shot..  and it's incredibly hard to get either 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We aren't even talking FCS / D1AA which are still really really good football players.. top HS players in the country 

I'd call D3 a lower level ... And there's still talent there .. having played D1... I have the utmost respect for ANY D1 player from UB to UMASS to Alabama

Every kid on UB is insane ... That just shows you how good the kids at Georgia are 

Every football player grows up wanting a D1 scholarship.... Whether from Georgia southern or Georgia ... You got a shot

UMass likely headed back to FCS per reports.  Only been in FBS for less than 10 years and don’t belong there 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Every football player grows up wanting a D1 scholarship.... Whether from Georgia southern or Georgia ... You got a shot

Prime example - Andre Reed.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Every football player grows up wanting a D1 scholarship.... Whether from Georgia southern or Georgia ... You got a shot..  and it's incredibly hard to get either 

Of course. And I'd be willing to ignore that if it was the only red flag. It wasn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

UMass likely headed back to FCS per reports.  Only been in FBS for less than 10 years and don’t belong there 

You could say the same about UB... It took 25 years and they are still building

Top 5 NFL pick..  THAT NO OTHER D1 SCHOOL WANTED 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course. And I'd be willing to ignore that if it was the only red flag. It wasn't. 

I agree

I agreed he wasnt my favorite and I think he's a camp body ... But 5 years ago there was some potential of he was coached up

Just not a naturally good catcher and can't vary route speeds to get DBs outta there comfort zone ..  not a QB friendly target 

Edited by Buffalo716

54 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Worth it on his speed and athleticism alone. From his draft profile:

Competitive, well-rounded receiver possessing both elite quickness and long speed to go with solid play strength. Isabella has the feet and fakes to uncover in a hallway closet, and the former high school sprint champion proved to Georgia that his ability to win deep should not be underestimated. Isabella could become a menace on option routes with the ability to add vertical routes from the slot, but he must improve his pass-catching consistency and smoothness into his breaks in order to transition all that speed to the NFL.

Ceiling is a Beasley/Welker/Edelman type slot guy. Could be the slot yin to Kincaid’s yang, so to speak.

I see him more as a Jordy Nelson, Chris Hogan, Adam Thielen type.

The guy has been a bust in the NFL so far, but he has speed, so there's no harm in kicking the tires.  Maybe he's a camp body, maybe he's a practice squad guy, maybe he "figures it out" and displaces someone else and makes the team.  Maybe he tries out and the Bills say "no thank you" and he moves on.  The bottom line is that there's no harm in taking a look at a guy.  Worst case, it costs the team the cost of a flight and a ride to and from the airport.  Maybe a lunch too.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane likes to get a shot at guys that he liked in Previous Drafts but missed out on. I like the idea of bringing in guys who were highly touted coming out of College and were Day 1-2 Draft Picks and seeing if there's something there that can be capitalized on with a change of scenery. Low risk, potentially high reward - even if the potential for high reward is a small one. Been a lot of that this offseason between Shane Ray, Darrynton Evans, Jace Sternberger, Cameron Dantzler, and now potentially Andy Isabella. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beane likes to get a shot at guys that he liked in Previous Drafts but missed out on. I like the idea of bringing in guys who were highly touted coming out of College and were Day 1-2 Draft Picks and seeing if there's something there that can be capitalized on with a change of scenery. Low risk, potentially high reward - even if the potential for high reward is a small one. Been a lot of that this offseason between Shane Ray, Darrynton Evans, Jace Sternberger, Cameron Dantzler, and now potentially Andy Isabella. 

Whaat? No "Speedy" Stevenson regurgitation? 

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

That was 4,5 years ago. Hasnt worked out so well for him

Right, that’s why he is available 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I see him more as a Jordy Nelson, Chris Hogan, Adam Thielen type.

Might be onto something there. More Nelson and Hogan (apt comparison w/ lax background) than Thielen but maybe I’m just used to Thielen having lost a step and winning more with his physicality lately. His 40 is more elite than his short speed drills per this RAS:

https://ras.football/2019/12/20/andy-isabella-ras/?amp

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t tell if you’re serious anymore

Don't you remember Isabella catching bombs for TDs? Allen would likely have him reach his full potential. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

One of the MOST overhyped draft prospects ever. Should have gone rounds 6 or 7. Went round 2. Mental.

I believe the Bills can coach him up. His full potential can be reached with Allen and Dorsey. He was a 2nd rounder for a reason. He's young and full of uncorked potential. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I have wanted this guy for like 3 years. 
Just go deep kid, one route. His speed paired with a big armed quarterback has to be good for at least 3 or 4  30+ yard touchdowns a year. The offense has lacked speed for years. McKenzie imo never figured out how to use his speed against decent defenses, and seemed to trip on his own feet a ton. 
I’d be happy to sign Isabella and let him battle it out for a spot or small role of the offense. 

He can be the Gabe Davis in the Chiefs playoff game. A deep threat and multiple TD games. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

The guy has been a bust in the NFL so far, but he has speed, so there's no harm in kicking the tires.  Maybe he's a camp body, maybe he's a practice squad guy, maybe he "figures it out" and displaces someone else and makes the team.  Maybe he tries out and the Bills say "no thank you" and he moves on.  The bottom line is that there's no harm in taking a look at a guy.  Worst case, it costs the team the cost of a flight and a ride to and from the airport.  Maybe a lunch too.

he’s a “we need to have 90 of them, and doesn’t hurt to have a fast guy learn the playbook in case the injury bug hits” signing.

nothing wrong with that. But nothing to really celebrate either. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Floor is an Andy Isabella type.

That was wonderfully brutal, 😂

Not sure why.. Fans want Hopkins.. we bring in Isabella.. kind of par for how we look at the Wr room but I’m not sure where anyone not named Hopkins fits. We already have Davis, Harty, Shakir and Sherfield..or maybe he is a special teams ace? 

It doesn’t really matter to me anymore as I’m all about lining up Kincaid on the field as much as possible. He is going to be a star. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Cole Beasley redux!

Not even fit to carry Beasley's L cleat

Guy was drafted in the 2nd round, played Kyler Murray's 1st 3 years when it looked like he had something (and defenses hadn't adjusted), and could hardly see the field.

15 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

4.3 speed = KR replacement for Naheem???

IMO the living embodiment of the maxim that playing speed differs from 40 time

He's returned a grand total of 8 kicks in 4 years (mostly his 1st year)

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Better return man who could be McKenzie like as a WR. Nothing wrong kicking the tires.

Nothing wrong kicking the tires, but what in his 8 career KR makes you think he's a better return man?  And better than who?

He could be better than the TBD whipping boy fave McKenzie as a WR, but he's had 4 years and he hasn't even made it to the same level.

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

What’s the combined reception total between Sherfield, Harty and Izabella.  They must have about 12 years between them all, my guess would be below 175 without looking up stats. Speed means nothing if they can’t produce

Speed wins! I have confidence Beane knows what he's doing. One or more of these guys should produce at a high level. The Bills coaching staff and schemes will help these guys excell. Lastly, Allen can make these guys great! 

Trust the process. 

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Nothing wrong kicking the tires, but what in his 8 career KR makes you think he's a better return man?  And better than who?

He could be better than the TBD whipping boy fave McKenzie as a WR, but he's had 4 years and he hasn't even made it to the same level.

Heck, he can even be a legit WR2 for the team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.