Bills working out FA receiver Andy Isabella tomorrow UPDATE: SIGNED

Roundybout

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Speed wins! I have confidence Beane knows what he's doing. One or more of these guys should produce at a high level. The Bills coaching staff and schemes will help these guys excell. Lastly, Allen can make these guys great! 

Trust the process. 

Heck, he can even be a legit WR2 for the team. 

Speed don’t win if it’s your only attribute. You gotta do more then just run. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Every single summer since we drafted Josh, they’ve kicked the tires on epic speedsters.

The guy is not even that fast.

And I don't care what he ran on a track in college 5 years ago. Every corner in the NFL can probably run him down in pads.

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Not sure why.. Fans want Hopkins.. we bring in Isabella.. kind of par for how we look at the Wr room but I’m not sure where anyone not named Hopkins fits. We already have Davis, Harty, Shakir and Sherfield..or maybe he is a special teams ace? 

It doesn’t really matter to me anymore as I’m all about lining up Kincaid on the field as much as possible. He is going to be a star. 

he fits in that you need like 10 guys to run routes in the first team, second team plus a few of those guys playing special teams reps. 

he’s a warm body to functionally run a full practice, and anything more is free money 

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

The guy is not even that fast.

And I don't care what he ran on a track in college 5 years ago. Every corner in the NFL can probably run him down in pads.

If he is close to his combine self (admittedly a big if), his 4.31 forty yard dash gathered a 9.91 RAS. That’s pretty fast.

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If he is close to his combine self (admittedly a big if), his 4.31 forty yard dash gathered a 9.91 RAS. That’s pretty fast.

I seriously don't care what he ran on a track in college 5 years ago.

If you watch him on an NFL field in pads, he is not fast.

He's got some quicks, but his long speed is middling in this league.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

What’s the combined reception total between Sherfield, Harty and Izabella.  They must have about 12 years between them all, my guess would be below 175 without looking up stats. Speed means nothing if they can’t produce

You're right on that combined reception total, but that comparison is actually pretty much unfair to Sherfield and Harty IMHO

In Harty's lone less injured season as a WR, he had 36 receptions for 570 yds.  He was also an all-pro KR/PR as a rookie and put up top numbers.

(64 receptions total)

Sherfield has been a ST regular (gunner) and still has 67 receptions for 844 yds.  Best year 30 receptions 417 yds.

Andy Isabella has 33 receptions in 4 years.  IOW, his reception total in 4 years, is about the same as Harty and Sherfield had in 1 year. 

Both Harty and Sherfield were undrafted guys who had to fight their way onto a roster as STers and then do whatever they could to contribute while waiting for their chance.

Isabella, on the other hand, was a 2nd round pick who was a lock for a roster spot for his first 3 years and was given every opportunity to succeed.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How is $13 million even close to the minimum that we were able to pay him

It is and isn’t on Beane. 

A lot of fans didn’t want it pick up the option on Oliver. 

We brought back Poyer (on the cheap) but against the cap, not so much. 

We found some money for Leonard Floyd. 

Matakevich, Neal and Hines (pre-injury) are mainly ST’s guys and when added up  aren’t cheap. 

I’m not saying those were wrong decisions, but Hopkins would be on this team if we didn’t invest so heavily in cap dollars on defense. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Matakevich, Neal and Hines (pre-injury) are mainly ST’s guys and when added up  aren’t cheap. 

I’m not saying those were wrong decisions, but Hopkins would be on this team if we didn’t invest so heavily in cap dollars on defense. 

Exactly SC Beane just took his resources and put them elsewhere. He had the money for DHOP and looking at the deal he signed with Tenn. I think if the Bills got to 10 plus incentives that would have been enough. There is no right or wrong answer to what he’s done just he wanted to put his money in different places like special teams.

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Speed don’t win if it’s your only attribute. You gotta do more then just run. 

Think Marquise Goodwin here. Allen can utilize his speed as a weapon. Dorsey will scheme him open. Beane has a plan here. Trust the process fans. 

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree. I'd rather have Dhop here than any of those guys the Bills signed as a result. 

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Exactly SC Beane just took his resources and put them elsewhere. He had the money for DHOP and looking at the deal he signed with Tenn. I think if the Bills got to 10 plus incentives that would have been enough. There is no right or wrong answer to what he’s done just he wanted to put his money in different places like special teams.

I am in the corner of wanting Dhop. Disappointed Beane chose not to. 

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can you imagine Beane properly addressing the WR position in FA/draft so he doesn’t have to bring in flyers in late July/August? 😅

this would make an interesting popcorn topic on its own.. I mean really... we are split with positive and negative reactions to this post.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

still really good talent there.  

Really?  Only currently rostered player in NFL is an OT with Panthers. Last full time starter in league was Vlad Ducasse.  And he was drafted in 2010. 

UMass record is 2-26 in games played since 2020!

Not exactly a big pipeline to NFL.  

Edited by freddyjj

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Nothing wrong kicking the tires, but what in his 8 career KR makes you think he's a better return man?  And better than who?

He could be better than the TBD whipping boy fave McKenzie as a WR, but he's had 4 years and he hasn't even made it to the same level.

I think Isabella is a better return man than McKenzie was, aka Mr. Butterfingers.

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Really?  Only currently rostered player in NFL is an OT with Panthers. Last full time starter in league was Vlad Ducasse.  And he was drafted in 2010. 

UMass record is 2-26 in games played since 2020!

Not exactly a big pipeline to NFL.  

Not saying NFL, but those guys are great football players.  Also, Isabella smoked Georgia. Interested to see what he can do on a well run team that is not the AZ dumpster fire 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Kitchen? You don’t even have a functioning coffee pot!!! I hope one day you can have a light bulb. 

I used duck tape on the pot, it works but the coffee tastes like glue

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

More like people who are tired of the years-long doom campaign waged by certain posters 

On a case by case basis that should not be held true.

Further there is reason for doom. After the 2nd playoff loss in Houston there have been more questions than answers from this team.

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Isabella is a better return man than McKenzie was, aka Mr. Butterfingers.

You can think whatever you like, but how would you know?

Isabella has returned 9 total kicks in his 4 year career: 1 punt, 5 kicks 1st year, 2 second year, 1 third year, 0 4th year.  That's less than 1/10th the 108 returns McK had, and if we assume McK 10 fumbles were all on returns (they weren't, and 6 were his first year), math says Isabella's data set isn't big enough to tell.

Either way, it's irrelevant to the Bills to compare him to McKenzie, who wasn't our return man last season.  We traded for Hines to fill that role

So the real question is, is Isabella a better return man than someone already on the roster - Harty (all pro) Evans, or Shakir?

Evans has 10 KR for 223 yds.  Isabella has 8 for 166.  Advantage, Evans.

Shakir has 3 punt returns ave. 7.6 yds and 1 KR for 34 yds.  Data set too small.

Harty is a former all-pro with 152 KR and PR, KR ave 25.4 y/r - Advantage, Harty.  Harty has fumbled 9 times in those 152 returns - but we don't have a large enough sample size from Isabella to tell if he'd do better

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

On a case by case basis that should not be held true.

Further there is reason for doom. After the 2nd playoff loss in Houston there have been more questions than answers from this team.

So all the teams that don’t win the super bowl every season for whatever reason are in a state of being doomed by your and a few others here’s logic, that’s just gotta be the most awful way  to pretend to enjoy a sport / team that one professes to be a fan of, just bloody amazing…, 

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So all the teams that don’t win the super bowl every season for whatever reason are in a state of being doomed by your and a few others here’s logic, that’s just gotta be the most awful way  to pretend to enjoy a sport / team that one professes to be a fan of, just bloody amazing…, 

... On a case by case basis.

Then you say "all teams."

🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.