Rodgers Reworks deal, takes $33 million cut, and creates $33 million of cap room for Jets.

Shaw66

This is a savings on 2024's contract, according to Spotrac the Jets are sitting at 13.3 million in cap space with Rodgers cap number at 8.8 million. Next year Rodgers cap hit which was slated to be something crazy like 75-100 million now comes down to a high but manageable 45.1 million. This is good news for the Jets longer term as it maybe gives them a shot to run it back with Rodgers once more, but the impact on this years cap is not there. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is a savings on 2024's contract, according to Spotrac the Jets are sitting at 13.3 million in cap space with Rodgers cap number at 8.8 million. Next year Rodgers cap hit which was slated to be something crazy like 75-100 million now comes down to a high but manageable 45.1 million. This is good news for the Jets longer term as it maybe gives them a shot to run it back with Rodgers once more, but the impact on this years cap is not there. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

thanks - yeah I’m surprised a little that they did this already but it was inevitable. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

thanks - yeah I’m surprised a little that they did this already but it was inevitable. 

I think for Rodgers it was a show of good faith and to maybe get players he is with now to commit to this as a 2-3 year window instead of a one-and-done type deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

His cap hit is 107 million next year. This is just kicking the can down the road. 

Well yeah. That’s why they did this they assume they have a little window here with Rodgers for 2 years so that’s what they’re going to do obviously.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Did he actually give up money?  From my understanding, most of the money on the contract was ballooned crap for cap purposes.

I had the same thought but It seems like he did actually give up guaranteed money, at least according to the ESPN article.

Rodgers, 39, signed a two-year, $75 million contract that is fully guaranteed, a source said. He was due to make close to $110 million in guarantees on his previous contract. This is an uncommonly large pay cut, one that will provide financial flexibility for the organization over the next two years.

If this is accurate, it’s very unlike Rodgers. He squeezed Green Bay for every penny. I’d be kind of pissed if I were a packers fan.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

thats a lot of dough.... who they getting? cause thats not safety net- in season $$

It's moreso next year , he'll still have a huge cap hit

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

He’s definitely getting paid under the table. 

Always wondered if this happens.  I mean you can just have a b.s LLC send said player x amount of dollars or transfer funds to a family member or agent

23 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Always wondered if this happens.  I mean you can just have a b.s LLC send said player x amount of dollars or transfer funds to a family member or agent

Win in NY and he will have $100m’s in endorsements and other deals now and after he retires. That money will be much more than what he is giving up in this $35m. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

It's moreso next year , he'll still have a huge cap hit

Alot of people to keep quiet/tax records/etc.

The NFL would come down hard on any team "cheating the cap", wouldn't surprise me if it included titles/season revoked, future drafts or cap room penalized, etc.

Too many risks and we'd have the next Dan Snyder on our hands.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.