Report: Bills allegedly privately open to trading Diggs "under the right circumstances"

Big Turk

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

And who do you replace a top 5 WR with?? 

And please don't say Hopkins,  we don't realistically have the resources to give him a multi year , close to top $ deal if this happened with Diggs

Just embrace his greatness and will to win

He's a 2× ALL PRO

3× pro bowler 

since arriving here

He'll be at least a 2x SB champ by the time he leaves

And that swap would be terrible regardless 

Diggs has 14 more games, 1,500 more yards and 12 more TDs since both got traded to young QBs in 2020

I am frustrated with Diggs. I don’t like the idea of losing him. But also, this isn’t Madden, and if a guy is a problem the FO might not have much of a choice. The last two times he’s been required to put on a Bills jersey he’s been in the headlines for throwing tantrums. 

My intent was to correct a few posters on Diggs cap implications no tell them one we should or shouldn’t. 

But….if the team were to move on from Diggs. I’d probably knock on Tampa’s door for a one year rental for Mike Evans. And even in that situation I don’t love it. 

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

This is not "breaking" news, it's reporting on comments that may be second or third-hand. 

I don’t  think it is much if anything. Honestly, the last two times Diggs was required to be in the building his behavior put him in the national news. The team said they were concerned then went into full PR mode. Any logical person could surmise that the Bills would be open to trading Diggs for the right price. Whether or not they’re shopping him is another conversation. 

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Everything you wrote is speculation based on speculation. It's your "feelings" - nothing is based on fact.  Please provide evidence that Diggs "clearly thinks his QB is doing him wrong" or "Now Allen has to force throws his way."

Or perhaps you are privy to conversations that Bills reporters have not heard. 

You are factually correct, everything I wrote is based upon my observations which I shared here.  I opened that up for debate to see who may share the same views, or have an opposite point of view.  you know, civil discourse.  I have no evidence, or inside knowledge, other than the statements we have seen from the team in the media, to which I formed an observational opinion.  Happy to discuss further.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

I think it is quite overblown and that Diggs has consistently proven when it comes to game time he plays. This is honestly the fanbase just looking for conflict and it is spurred on by the media who knows fans even outside of the Bills fandom will eat it up.

There's no doubt we are only seeing a very myopic view of the internal reality, but let's go back to the end of the playoff game.  Was that behavior in any way going to lead to anythnig remotely positive?  I havent ever seen a positive outcome.

7 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

You are factually correct, everything I wrote is based upon my observations which I shared here.  I opened that up for debate to see who may share the same views, or have an opposite point of view.  you know, civil discourse.  I have no evidence, or inside knowledge, other than the statements we have seen from the team in the media, to which I formed an observational opinion.  Happy to discuss further.

There's no doubt we are only seeing a very myopic view of the internal reality, but let's go back to the end of the playoff game.  Was that behavior in any way going to lead to anythnig remotely positive?  I havent ever seen a positive outcome.

I'd say the demeanor of the rest of the team upsets me more. They looked beaten and mentally checked out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I'd say the demeanor of the rest of the team upsets me more. They looked beaten and mentally checked out.

It’s tough, because I’ve heard some compelling evidence from trauma experts that what we saw in the playoffs was entirely predictable .. but, at the same time, it also feels like an excuse for a team that continues to disappoint in the playoffs-relative to expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s tough, because I’ve heard some compelling evidence from trauma experts that what we saw in the playoffs was entirely predictable .. but, at the same time, it also feels like an excuse for a team that continues to disappoint in the playoffs-relative to expectations. 

I refuse to believe MOST of the things on fans' long list of "stuff that went wrong last season" actually had an impact on the team.  At the top of that list would be the Tops shooting on the East Side, which I'm sure had literally zero impact on the games the team played after the tragedy.

Damar's situation improved very quickly and when everyone here was freaking out and wildly unstable and emotional, I was quietly pointing out that the same thing happened to a Danish soccer player and a few days later he was smiling from his hospital bed and making Youtube videos for his fans.

I don't think Damar had squat to do with the playoffs.  He was in good shape by then.  If anything, he should have been an inspiration for team.

We were straight up whipped by a better squad on both sides of the ball (Bengals) and played very iffy ball against the Fish with their 3rd string QB, winning by 3 points on home turf.

The Bills were "not right" practically the last half of the season.  I kept waiting for us to throw the playoff switch and go back to lights out ball.  It never happened.

Why exactly that is, no one outside the team is going to know.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I refuse to believe MOST of the things on fans' long list of "stuff that went wrong last season" actually had an impact on the team.  At the top of that list would be the Tops shooting on the East Side, which I'm sure had literally zero impact on the games the team played after the tragedy.

Damar's situation improved very quickly and when everyone here was freaking out and wildly unstable and emotional, I was quietly pointing out that the same thing happened to a Danish soccer player and a few days later he was smiling from his hospital bed and making Youtube videos for his fans.

I don't think Damar had squat to do with the playoffs.  He was in good shape by then.  If anything, he should have been an inspiration for team.

We were straight up whipped by a better squad on both sides of the ball (Bengals) and played very iffy ball against the Fish with their 3rd string QB, winning by 3 points on home turf.

The Bills were "not right" practically the last half of the season.  I kept waiting for us to throw the playoff switch and go back to lights out ball.  It never happened.

Why exactly that is, no one outside the team is going to know.

I think you used the right words. You "refuse to believe" it.

But regardless of what you are willing to believe, it extremely likely had a real effect.

Fair enough they weren't right. Particularly the last two or three games. These traumas were almost certainly a real part of the reason why. Though of course the injuries on defense and particularly with Von Miller were certainly another very real bit of it.

Oh, and Hamlin wasn't in good shape by then. They knew he wasn't going to die, but "in good shape" is overstating it. He was brought into the stadium on a golf cart as I remember it. Nor does trauma just go away when you learn the person is going to live. And Knox's brother wasn't in good shape.

After the game several guys separately talked about a lack of energy and juice and just not being able to get started. "Guys were exhausted during the week." "You almost run out of gas." Players “haven’t been able to take a breath since the Damar situation.” The Bills have played badly a few times but this was the first time we've heard stuff like that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

This is not "breaking" news, it's reporting on comments that may be second or third-hand. 

You have interesting standards for claiming the Bills press corps is among the best in the NFL.  They don't break news and thats apparently irrelevant to you, yet their content creation prowess impresses you?  Odd.

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

Diggs d0ing what he did 0pens the d00r t0 all this n0nsense.

This stuff will c0ntinue until camps start and s0me new st0ry gains m0re attenti0n am0ng the lazy nati0nal writers and talk sh0w h0sts.

S0me0ne is b0und t0 beat their wife and kids, slap a stripper ar0und 0r s0mething these guys are always d0ing that will grab s0me 0f the attenti0n away.

How does this 'o' to '0' thing even happen what is going on in this place

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree but I also think he's going to be a major distraction. Similar to the Minn situation. Hope I'm wrong. 

$45MM cap hit the next two years of Diggs is moved. Not. Happening.

14 hours ago, Mango said:

We don’t lose $20M. We gain $1M this year, and it is about $3M to have him off the roster than it is to have him on. 

Of course $30M is a lot of cap space tied up in a guy not on the team. But $27M is also a lot for a guy who sounds like he might not want to be here. And the last two times he put on a jersey he caused a scene. 

Move Diggs and you bought a $45MM cap hit the next two years. You want that? 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:42 PM, Big Turk said:

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

If this report is true, what do you think the "right circumstances" would be?

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

The problem with this comment is that it so so vague it can be open to much interpretation.

Really, almost any player sans a few QB’s could be traded “under the right circumstances.”  

As far as the Bills go, I don’t believe they would have exercised the option in Stef’s contract if they weren’t 100% comfortable with him on team.  Could what he said on day 1 of minicamps have changed that?  Probably not.  

On 6/22/2023 at 1:42 PM, Big Turk said:

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

Right circumstances would be not a dead cap hit of $40M, and say the Bills grant Diggs alleged desire to play with his brother. Then the right circumstances would be we're getting Ceedee Lamb and a pick back. 

It will never happen because of Diggs' age, but the whole reason he is here is because he was a known commodity. I would think the Bills would want the same thing again in a trade. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Right circumstances would be not a dead cap hit of $40M, and say the Bills grant Diggs alleged desire to play with his brother. Then the right circumstances would be we're getting Ceedee Lamb and a pick back. 

It will never happen because of Diggs' age, but the whole reason he is here is because he was a known commodity. I would think the Bills would want the same thing again in a trade. 

We would probably have to send Dallas a pick due to Diggs age and Lamb's upside. 

• Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

$45MM cap hit the next two years of Diggs is moved. Not. Happening.

Move Diggs and you bought a $45MM cap hit the next two years. You want that? 

No not at all. I'm not advocating that. 

I'm saying I think Diggs is going to be a disgruntled player. That might lead to some issues. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm saying I think Diggs is going to be a disgruntled player. That might lead to some issues. 

I'm not worried. Throw him the ball a lot. Win games. Everyone's happy.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not worried. Throw him the ball a lot. Win games. Everyone's happy.

Diggs has shown via his past that winning isn't going to muzzle him. 

I think we all should be concerned. 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course you do

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

CeeDee Lamb would put up some numbers with Allen throwing him the ball, but yeah not gonna happen. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I think we all should be concerned. 

If we're winning and fighting for a Super Bowl Diggs can talk all he wants - it will be like background music.

All this is dumb anyways.... but for Ceedee? No way! $45m dead cap to acquire a dude whos contract is going to demand more than Diggs makes? lol

throw in Micah Parsons and a free night with a Cowgirl of my choosing, and we'll talk. I'll even send a conditional 7th if I last over 5.25mins lol

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think we all should be concerned  

If you mean concerned about Josh’s extra curricular activity causing him to no be totally focused on a playoff game, I concur. Diggs wasn’t the issue last year. 

12 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I think it’s safe to say that demeanor also didn’t make Diggs any happier. I’m sure he acted the way he did for several reasons, but just think about his upset we the fans were then imagine someone like Diggs who is on the team and is as passionate about winning and playing to the max every snap. Could he have handled it better? Sure, but atleast he showed some fire that no one else seemed to have. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/22/2023 at 10:42 AM, Big Turk said:

I thought it was stated several times while Diggs missed that one day of mandatory mini camp that his contract is un-tradable? Obviously anything could happen, but realistically speaking it’s not a possibility. 

During that mini camp saga I remember reading somewhere that there was speculation his frustration was in regards to not being able to freestyle on the plays as much. Which I can understand (honestly from both sides in regards to free-styling). However being adaptable seems to make more sense to me, although it does require more coordination and everyone being on the same page, thus harder to achieve. However, it seems to me when you have pro’s pro’s in Diggs/Allen being adaptable like that would more dangerous. But I’m not an x&o’s person so I wouldn’t know. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Tanoros said:

I think it’s safe to say that demeanor also didn’t make Diggs any happier. I’m sure he acted the way he did for several reasons, but just think about his upset we the fans were then imagine someone like Diggs who is on the team and is as passionate about winning and playing to the max every snap. Could he have handled it better? Sure, but atleast he showed some fire that no one else seemed to have. 

exactly what i thought at the time watching Diggs blow up at Allen.   the team as a whole looked so lethargic,  so uninterested in the game,  that i was fine with Diggs acting like a player who gave a s&#t compared to the rest of them.   not saying they didnt,  but man it looked bad.

• Agree 1

On 6/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, Ya Digg? said:

Didn't they just pay him a ton of money?  His cap hit would be huge

Right, this is all nonsense. 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:43 PM, newcam2012 said:

A 45 million dollar cap hit will lead to some issues as well. 

• Agree 1