Report: Bills allegedly privately open to trading Diggs "under the right circumstances"

Big Turk

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

If this report is true, what do you think the "right circumstances" would be?

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Dislike 5

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

"apparently" "allegedly"... what do You think the right circumstances would be on this hot take?

1 minute ago, T&C said:

"apparently" "allegedly"... what do You think the right circumstances would be on this hot take?

I mean it's coming from LaConfora clone Benjamin Albright, so probably not great, but on the small chance it's true...

• Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I had previously posted this report on another thread.  It seemed worthy of noticing.  But not worthy of its own thread.  At least, that's how I added it up. 

It's probably BS.  Diggs' contract makes a trade hard.  And he's too important to the offense.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Didn't they just pay him a ton of money?  His cap hit would be huge

Yes.  Most insiders concede Diggs contract makes him untraceable this season.  It’s somewhere above $40M of dead cap.  

Remember there is no “post June 1” designation for trades, I’ve personally made that mistake

With the exception of Allen, he is our best player on offense. If the Bills were rebuilding and looking to acquire picks, then I could see it. But they are trying to win a Super Bowl so it's not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Given the massive dead cap we'd incur the next 2 seasons by trading Diggs there's really no "right circumstances" that we can trade him. 

The situation would have to deteriorate to the point that he's sitting out or sabotaging his on field play. At which point we trade him for whatever we can get and live with the dead cap

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

. what do You think the right circumstances would be on this hot take?

1. NFL eliminates the salary cap

2. Minnesota offers Jefferson straight up

3. Secret love letters to Kirk Cousins are found in Diggs locker

Other than that, I think this thing is a go.

• Haha (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean it's coming from LaConfora clone Benjamin Albright, so probably not great, but on the small chance it's true...

A Bills gossip forum would be great here... this is nothing at all.

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  Most insiders concede Diggs contract makes him untraceable this season.  It’s somewhere above $40M of dead cap.  

Remember there is no “post June 1” designation for trades, I’ve personally made that mistake

He's going to disappear after the bye this season too???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

THUMBS DOWN. I'm not buying this. The idea stretches credibility as far as Im concerned. NOPE. From team leader to cancer? I don't think so.

The financials just don't add up either

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Nonsense. 

^^^^^

This.

A $45M cap hit to release or trade him this year and $30M next year. He's tied to the team for at least the next two seasons. He'll be 31 after the 2024 season so they may ready to move in another direction at that time but not before then. 

• Like (+1) 1

With the recent news surrounding Buffalo Bills superstar WR Stefon Diggs, the Denver Broncos are rumored to be one of several teams interested in trading for the disgruntled receiver, if he were to become available, per Benjamin Allbright on Broncos Country Tonight.

HE IS NOT AVAILABLE, NOR WILL HE BE 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh boy - there are so many odd things floated at this "dead" time of the year for real NFL news - this sure seems to fall under the category of "nonsense".

On the other hand - maybe they could trade Diggs straight up for Tyreek Hill - he seems like a real "Process" type & an all-around good guy too. 

Training camp can't get here soon enough - until then I'll just try to enjoy Summer. 

I mean, they would be open to trading any player "under the right circumstances".

If KC wanted to trade us Pat Mahomes and 10 first round picks for Josh Allen, I'm sure we'd do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

As Beane has always said: "I'm not doing my job if I don't look at ways to improve the team"  That includes everyone is available (except a franchise QB)

Meh .. Diggs is elite, but if his contract wasn’t such a mess to trade, I’d be open to it. 

Allen is elite.  If we did fix the OL, he should be able to elevate those around him. 

Allbright floated Sutton and a 2nd or 3rd.  That’s a no for me.. in fact, I’m hanging up the phone and not even responding to that offer.  

However, Sutton, a 1st and another pick?  Ok, I’m listening.  

Denver gets Diggs on a great contract for them.  We eat cap and lose an elite WR, but load up for our next window, while still having enough talent to win this year. 

I just don’t see how we do anything with the way his contract is structured. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Do people not understand what the cap hit would be if we traded Stefon Diggs?

We are talking about literally $40 million on next year’s cap. That is what we would pay whether he was on our team or not.  It is literally money we have already paid him.

Come on, let’s do some research, brothers and sisters

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Diggs could just come out and say he absolutely has not requested a trade.  

Considering I’m told everything is fine.  

Even if he says something, it won't be until late July 

Why would Diggs want to play with "Mr. Unlimited"  that guy is a wreck and a circus 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Do people not understand what the cap hit would be if we traded Stefon Diggs?

We are talking about literally $40 million on next year’s cap. That is what we would pay whether he was on our team or not.  It is literally money we have already paid him.

Come on, let’s do some research, brothers and sisters

It would have to be someone sending back cheap players and picks. 

I don’t know enough about the cap to know if a team could do some kind of offset on a players contract so they eat most of it to send him to us in order to take back Diggs with us eating so much dead cap?   

Because that would have to be the deal … a WR1a/WR2 type WR who we don’t owe much of anything to this year and next, plus picks. 

I mean, pretty much everything/everyone is available to trade "under the right circumstances". Except maybe Josh.

But yes, as the old business saying goes, "Everything is for sale at the right price".

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs could just come out and say he absolutely has not requested a trade.  

Considering I’m told everything is fine.  

It's not on the players to address every stupid rumor that the talking heads come up with in order to generate clicks in June. Fans should be smarter, but...

• Thank you (+1) 1