Report: Bills allegedly privately open to trading Diggs "under the right circumstances"

Big Turk

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, pretty much everything/everyone is available to trade "under the right circumstances". Except maybe Josh.

But yes, as the old business saying goes, "Everything is for sale at the right price".

At  Negative 40 Million to our cap, it would need to be a 1st and a truly elite player or multiple 1sts 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

At  Negative 40 Million to our cap, it would need to be a 1st and a truly elite player or multiple 1sts 

Sure, we could all come up with ridiculous scenarios that would fit within "under the right circumstance". And it would likely have to be one of those ridiculous, not-happening scenarios. @MJS posted a good one on the previous page.

10 1sts and Mahomes would probably get it done. Maybe even just the 10 1sts. Likely tho?

• Agree 1

Dead Cap hit is massive.  It is not happening this year or next…unless he stands in front of McD, BB, and Pegula and tells them all to F off, and he angrily states he will never play another snap as a Buffalo Bill.  Even then, they probably keep him and suspend him until he backs down. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not on the players to address every stupid rumor that the talking heads come up with in order to generate clicks in June. Fans should be smarter, but...

Agreed unfortunately this ***t sandwich is entirely the players making stemming from the last game to now late June with a “no show/excused” from practice and subsequently letting your QB take all the bullets.  

The Bills could defuse that talk if they chose they don’t have to say anything imo.  

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

With the recent news surrounding Buffalo Bills superstar WR Stefon Diggs, the Denver Broncos are rumored to be one of several teams interested in trading for the disgruntled receiver, if he were to become available, per Benjamin Allbright on Broncos Country Tonight.

HE IS NOT AVAILABLE, NOR WILL HE BE 

Always important to remember to pay attention to how things are worded.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only way would be for him to add years to his deal, void or not, to get back to a comparable number of what he’s counting against this years cap.  The restructure was a really bad move if he gets traded.  That said, if they got decent compensation for him, because it’s after June 1, the dead cap hit sucks some this year (ok a lot), BUT it could be squeezed in if you get creative.  His cap his is insane next year anyway, so the 2nd half of it is t actually that prohibitive.  If they got him to add 2 years of voidable time to his deal, they could thin it out to about a 10M loss (vs what he’s taking up now anyway).  Then next year still sucks, but it hurts less now.  

The big thing is, you basically are throwing in the towel if you trade him, they don’t have enough on offense now, so they would have to bring a player back for him and work out a contract that makes their cap hit this year negligible.  In order for all of that to happen they are going to have to take way less in talent to get any team to take it on.  Although, his base salary is almost minimum, so a team could eat part of whatever they send back, by converting that salary to bonus and making the cap hit work for Buffalo.   Lots to make happen and the only way I could see it happening is for a last year of a contract guy like Higgins who is going to cost more than a team wants to spend next season, but still, not going to be great to take on Steph’s base etc going forward. 

I can’t see it happening.  Would be really bummed if that’s what it comes to. 

Everyone on the team is tradable under “the right circumstances” this is off season boredom inspired…, 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The only way would be for him to add years to his deal, void or not, to get back to a comparable number of what he’s counting against this years cap.  The restructure was a really bad move if he gets traded.  That said, if they got decent compensation for him, because it’s after June 1, the dead cap hit sucks some this year (ok a lot), BUT it could be squeezed in if you get creative.  His cap his is insane next year anyway, so the 2nd half of it is t actually that prohibitive.  If they got him to add 2 years of voidable time to his deal, they could thin it out to about a 10M loss (vs what he’s taking up now anyway).  Then next year still sucks, but it hurts less now.  

The big thing is, you basically are throwing in the towel if you trade him, they don’t have enough on offense now, so they would have to bring a player back for him and work out a contract that makes their cap hit this year negligible.  In order for all of that to happen they are going to have to take way less in talent to get any team to take it on.  Although, his base salary is almost minimum, so a team could eat part of whatever they send back, by converting that salary to bonus and making the cap hit work for Buffalo.   Lots to make happen and the only way I could see it happening is for a last year of a contract guy like Higgins who is going to cost more than a team wants to spend next season, but still, not going to be great to take on Steph’s base etc going forward. 

I can’t see it happening.  Would be really bummed if that’s what it comes to. 

Im sorry, but I don’t view Diggs as the make or break for a Super Bowl run. 

If that’s the case, then Allen isn’t elite.  

We can’t trade him for nothing, but if somehow circumvented the cap nightmare of trading Diggs and got back someone like Sutton or Jeudy, plus picks, I’m still expecting this offense to be elite.   ….I’m expecting that because Allen is elite, and there would be enough talent (provided the OL is better) to accomplish that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Albright is not a hack reporter and I don't think he is making stuff up.  Not sure this is something that could happen given the cap constraints and I doubt any team would offer significant value for Diggs given what has happened with him in Minnesota and Buffalo. Seems really unlikely to me, so we should all prepare for more drama in the future.

Edited by jahnyc

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

Albright is not a hack reporter and I don't think he making stuff up.  Not sure this is something that could happen given the cap constraints and I doubt any team would offer significant value for Diggs given what has happened with him in Minnesota and Buffalo. Seems really unlikely to me, so we should all prepare for more drama in the future.

Well...it seems like he didn't start out as one but has become increasingly like LaCanfora where he just throws a bunch of stuff at the wall and hopes some of it sticks.

9 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Heavy.com is one of the more absurd sports (if you can use that term with them) sites on the internet. They blow up everything and anything, just to get users. 

But they’re quoting Benjamin Albright from a podcast interview - that isn’t nothing. 

It absolutely could be nothing.  

If you believe after Diggs exit from our last game, 2 heated meetings with management that led him to being excused right before mandatory practice, the HC bizarre public explanation, that everything is all good now then there is nothing to this.  

Edited by Big Blitz

11 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Heavy.com is one of the more absurd sports (if you can use that term with them) sites on the internet. They blow up everything and anything, just to get users. 

Has there ever been a situation where a player with a massive cap hit converted signing bonus into salary to help facilitate a trade?

Not saying this should be done; just curious if ever a player who wanted out of a team did this to lessen dead cap and make a trade doable.

53 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

^^^^^

This.

A $45M cap hit to release or trade him this year and $30M next year. He's tied to the team for at least the next two seasons. He'll be 31 after the 2024 season so they may ready to move in another direction at that time but not before then. 

Whether we like it or not we're stuck with him until the end of the 24 season. We're not taking the dead cap hit. So we either mend the fences or hope JA can calm him down. 

29 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Was just coming here to say this.  Saw an article from them about Mitch Morses comments on Josh dating Hailee Steinfeld and it was a comment that the writer made referencing Mitch's comments about "Josh Allen, who is allegedly dating Hailee Steinfeld".

Clickbait garbage from them.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1