Report: Bills allegedly privately open to trading Diggs "under the right circumstances"

Big Turk

47 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Buffalo has one of the best press corps in the league, and not ONE reporter has hinted at this possibility.  Just stop. 

Interesting take.  What Bills-related stories do you recall the local press corps breaking before national outlets?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Ok I will play...J Simmons, Surtain, Jeudy and 3 1st rounders. 

The only thing I would take for him would be another ultra-top-elite WR as good as he is.

There aren't that many guys like that out there...and of course, you aren't going to be able to get any of them anyway.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The only thing I would take for him would be another ultra-top-elite WR as good as he is.

There aren't that many guys like that out there...and of course, you aren't going to be able to get any of them anyway.

We are signing DHop too. So Its DHop and Jeudy. 

Whatever it is we know that it's not football related, we were told so.  

Who knows, maybe Diggs got in on the tranny action, changed his gender, and it's just that time of the month.  

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

A distraction for who? Albright and the fans?

For some reason you and others do not think he has been a distraction. 

If that really is your view, I cannot help you see the light.

As an aside, how many threads and how many pages on here have been devoted to this guy's antics this off season?!? 

If the guy truly wants to be a leader and win, he should:

- stop with the cryptic messages on social media;

- not have skipped out on voluntary practices (if he REALLY wants to be a leader); and

- have attended the first mandatory practice. 

Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

If this report is true, what do you think the "right circumstances" would be?

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

the word “report” in your title is inaccurate, since Allbright flat out said himself he was not reporting anything. He was merely responding to a hypothetical. Maybe change that.

Is it still possible that a player could give his signing bonus back, etc?  I know I've read a number of times, admittedly not as much in past few year where a player suddenly retires/quits and the team considers going after him to return the money he was given.  As best as I know it's rarely if ever successful.

But could see it were to get to situation where Diggs says, "I want out, end of discussion" the Bills could say great give us back the money then we can try and make it happen.

Are the team captains voted on by the players or picked by the coaches or a combination of both?  If picked by the players, would the players be so bold as to not choose him this year?  Seem to recall couple years back  Diggs was elected by the players to be a captain??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A distraction for who? Albright and the fans?

Don’t you have some work to do?    😋

It sounds like it’s not financially feasible, but by all means feel free to carry on. There’s no football to watch. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Publicly they continue to say he isn't for trade, but apparently privately they would be open to it under the right circumstances...allegedly. 

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-privately-open-traiding-stefon-diggs/amp/

I can’t wait for the season to start so this type of BS is replaced with real information.

• Agree 5

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I can’t wait for the season to start so this type of BS is replaced with real information.

So, you don’t think they will do that thing they can’t do? 

WE NEED FOOTBALL!!!

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  Most insiders concede Diggs contract makes him untraceable this season.  It’s somewhere above $40M of dead cap.  

Remember there is no “post June 1” designation for trades, I’ve personally made that mistake

Spotrac - Diggs

If the Bills traded Diggs today they’d gain $1.7M in cap space this season. (Current cap hit of $14.9M less $13.2M dead cap.) The 2024 dead cap would be an absolutely brutal $31.1M however. That may seem completely unmanageable - and it’s very bad - but Diggs currently is set to have a cap hit of $27.9M in 2024 - or only $3.2M more than if he got traded. So, while it would be painful, the Bills could make the numbers work.

The other cap addition related to this would be part of the bigger problem. It is, of course, replacing Diggs on the field. Some player’s salary would be added to the cap in his place. That player would likely need to be a stellar WR. Those are usually not cheap. So that’s where this goes from unlikely to nearly impossible.

Technically some team could trade a stud WR on their rookie deal or eat a bunch of a vet WR’s salary to acquire Diggs. But why would any team do that?

I remember students joking about bribing me for a better grade. I'd say "No," and they'd come back with "Everyone has a price." My answer: "That's true, and if you could afford my price, you wouldn't need the degree you're working on."

In the same vein, whatever price Beane has put on a Diggs trade is higher than any reasonable GM would go.

Next week: "Breaking news! Diggs traded to the Raiders." (My first thought was the Browns, but they have nothing to trade.) 

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Heavy is worse than the National Enquirer. Probably shouldn’t even be allowed to link to that trash here. Just a suggestion.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Are there any teams looking for an offensive coordinator?  I kid, I kid!

2 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

I think he was just speculating and Heavy made it into something more per usual. 

Not what it says here Ben:

“I talked to some people in Buffalo on the condition of anonymity and they said that, ‘Publicly, we’re not moving him. Privately, we would consider it under the right circumstances,’” Albright said.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Heavy.com?

LOL… 😂

• Agree 1

The condition is like when Ditka made trade for New Orleans Saints - trade for your entire draft.

I doubt it's true. The Bills cap won't allow it.

I have no idea if this report is true, but I would not find it shocking.  Diggs clearly has issues about something relating to the Bills.  His reporting to mandatory sessions with the team did not go smoothly, and I am sure McD was not pleased with the overall look for the team or needing to backtrack from his original comments about the situation.  This has been a long simmering issue (since the playoff loss to the Bengals) and it bears watching. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1