Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

49 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What unwelcome news?

I think @BADOLBILZ was the poster. It was never specified.  But one can draw his own conclusions based upon recent tabloid fodder. That news, I suspect, relates to the OPPD visit to the Allen homestead at some point toward or at the end of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh what’s that now?

So diggs waited a whole year to show his displeasure for Dorsey?

I'm not advocating for Dorsey but normally when I'm mad about something, someone is going to know quick.

Still not sure about the whole Hall situation though.  

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I am not hijacking this thread with this comment, but that is where "journalism" overall is today. Poor headlines all over the place...

I agree with your comment

It’s not Poor headlines at all. 

they are very much strategically, crafted, headlines, a.k.a. Clickbait headlines  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I just listened to the whole thing

He's explaining what he could possibly have done differently to avoid this. You are not accurately representing what's been said

So he’s taking blame for his own faults? Good for him. He’s not assuming blame for things that are Diggs fault, which is what the other guy said.

Just now, The Wiz said:

I'm not advocating for Dorsey but normally when I'm mad about something, someone is going to know quick.

How do you know he didn’t and the bills just said too bad this is our guy?  

Can you also blame the leader ship of this team a.k.a. the Coach and GM for also not helping resolve this issue or is that not allowed?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Diggs loves Dorsey. Read some comments from Diggs on Dorsey last year.

I think Diggs wants a seat at the table. Meaning he wants in on decisions like Josh Allen is. My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't agree with this assessment. 

He's merely saying most fans are content with the team's results. 

This is the hill you’re trying to die on?  That fans are just ok with the playoffs and not a Super Bowl?  It’s absurd.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's a 3 day mini camp in June.  Call me when he misses any training camp/real time.

This is just another "snap judgment" thread, free realm for speculation and pointing fingers.  Speculate away, but seeing alot of ppl placing blame mostly on Diggs or somehow McD.

McD was asked directly if he was concerned, I think his direct response (albeit unpopular for some here), let's Diggs and his camp he's taking their discussions seriously.  Blowing it off/dismissing it/lying/downplaying the situation, isn't a good solution when you know a player is clearly upset.  

On Diggs side, who knows what's bothering him...it could be a combination of everything speculated, and maybe he's bottled up/not communicated well with the staff and front office.  That communication goes both ways.

One thing for sure, I'd take a Stef Diggs caliber player/competitor at every position on our team. I have faith that whatever the rift is, gets sorted out, given the other player leadership to "bridge" the situation to help as needed, and his dedication to the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Diggs loves Dorsey. Read some comments from Diggs on Dorsey last year.

I think Diggs wants a seat at the table. Meaning he wants in on decisions like Josh Allen is. My 2 cents.

He could have lost that love based on horrible playcalling the 2nd half of the year. But that's JMO.

It seems likely to me that Diggs is trying to make a point (what exactly is unclear) and will be in the fold and bought in when the season begins. But he's laying down a marker that in his opinion the current trajectory of the Bills is unacceptable. Whether any of this is helpful or a smart way of going about things is of course highly questionable 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

continuing this line of inquiry, and incorporating today's stuff [i havent thought this to conclusion yet.  but it seems fertile ground]:

Does Diggs think / believe / know that JA has a substance problem and isnt getting the treatment that JA promised Diggs he would get?

Why is Diggs not out with tweets or medie leaks that he also LOVES JA?

Doesnt JA sound apologetic, a bit?  Doeth he protest too much?

Doesnt JA sound like Favre used to (when he was addicted to painkillers) a bit?  Big, Broad, He-Man statements with zero substance.

Is that why Diggs showed up, saw all he needed to see, and broke out?

Does this explain why Diggs has not asked for more money and has not asked to be traded?  Diggs wants to WIN.  this place is perfect.  As long as QB1 is all in.

Is this why McD sounded defensive and/or angry.  That he doesnt want stuff about JA to get out there?  Or that McD is Also annoyed at JA but prefers to handle it in house.  Diggs sees that McD's 'handling' isnt working

Is this why JA's girlfriend left?

We've finally reached peak speculation in a ridiculously speculative thread.  Oof. 

Maybe Josh is really a replicant sent here by Aliens? I MEAN WE JUST DON'T KNOW!! 🤣 

SMH...

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

So he’s taking blame for his own faults? Good for him. He’s not assuming blame for things that are Diggs fault, which is what the other guy said.

Yes I think he's trying to take responsibility for some of the things that may or may not have led to this situation w Diggs

Which imo is a little silly because Allen doesn't really have anything to apologize for re:Diggs on the face of it, so it's just another layer of weird

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'd take a Stef Diggs caliber player/competitor at every position on our team

Probably wouldn't be great if all 53 players were pointing fingers on the sidelines in a playoff game and skipping out on day one of mandatory minicamp. There's a fine line between being an intense competitor and being a distraction. Diggs clearly is being a distraction right now. There's no way to minimize him missing practice today, certainly not after the messaging we saw from him the last time he was in the spotlight. Anyone pretending this isn't a big deal is lying to themselves. It's not the end of the world but it is a thing and nobody knows where it's headed.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh what’s that now?

Based on the interviews from Josh, Sean and Von. This makes the most sense. Itll explain the reasoning when Josh Allen says its not all about football and teamwork/communcation should be better. Itll explain why Sean is a little peeved as he doesnt want player putting their input into his coaching staff. I think Stefon Diggs just wants some input in the team direction and especially when it effects him personally. The WR coach was also involved in the meeting.

I dont think it has anything to do with Dorsey... but feel maybe we ignored Diggs request of a WR coach or maybe wasnt even asked at all.

• Like (+1) 1

You might have to face it that Digg's ego is and could be his worst attribute.  Wanting to win is one thing but you can't throw your QB under the bus on national TV for everyone to see.  Putting on a show for everyone to see and to throw a tantrum about it does not help him or his cause.

Yes be a fierce competitor but keep your BS in check.  You can't have respect from your teamates, if you dont respect them.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How do you know he didn’t and the bills just said too bad this is our guy?  

Can you also blame the leader ship of this team a.k.a. the Coach and GM for also not helping resolve this issue or is that not allowed?

For the first question, it would definitely be a drastic change from what the staff has been saying and doing since they arrived to build a team and be a leader of men.  

Obviously we don't see behind closed doors but how McD has been praised for how the treats his players makes me doubt it.

For the second, absolutely they could be.  But again, this doesn't seem like the type of situation that they would want lingering on so the meeting they had this morning before diggs left could have been a sour meeting from both sides.

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

Based on the interviews from Josh, Sean and Von. This makes the most sense. Itll explain the reasoning when Josh Allen says its not all about football and teamwork/communcation should be better. Itll explain why Sean is a little peeved as he doesnt want player putting their input into his coaching staff. I think Stefon Diggs just wants some input in the team direction and especially when it effects him personally. The WR coach was also involved in the meeting.

I dont think it has anything to do with Dorsey... but feel maybe we ignored Diggs request of a WR coach or maybe wasnt even asked at all.

If they didn’t want that, maybe they shouldn’t have let Josh Allen then handpick Dorsey for the OC?

also, I think they would be the only team that doesn’t talk to star players about coaches they want to hire

32 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

The fans coddling Diggs are just homers and a big reason why we never won a superbowl…they can’t say anything bad about the Bills and that’s not a true fan. A true fan demands better

Yes, please tell us about true fans, FNG.  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Probably wouldn't be great if all 53 players were pointing fingers on the sidelines in a playoff game and skipping out on day one of mandatory minicamp. There's a fine line between being an intense competitor and being a distraction. Diggs clearly is being a distraction right now. There's no way to minimize him missing practice today, certainly not after the reaction we saw from the last time he was in the spotlight. Anyone pretending this isn't a big deal is lying to themselves. It's not the end of the world but it is a thing and nobody knows where it's headed.

I mean, Von said today “minicamps aren’t that important” so I’m gonna go with that and I don’t think I’m kidding myself. If this continues then yes I agree with you it becomes a problem.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes I think he's trying to take responsibility for some of the things that may or may not have led to this situation w Diggs

Which imo is a little silly because Allen doesn't really have anything to apologize for re:Diggs on the face of it, so it's just another layer of weird

Josh being a leader and supporting a teammate, an important one at that.

That's how I read into it.  Josh is very diplomatic with public comments, I think he's genuine most of the time, also realizes he's the most important player voice...so he's careful/calculated with his comments.

Too many ppl (media) reading into him taking blame/etc, he's just bringing perspective and saying everyone can do better.  Josh and Von both trying to help ease/support Stef, that's a captain or leader taking responsibility upon themselves, different than what espn was trying to headline

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CountDorkula said:

Or is it entirely possible that he has a legitimate beef with some thing and this is pretty much the only way he can show his displeasure outside of requesting a trade?

Do we know if any conversations were had over the off-season about this how did the bills staff let it get to this point if so?

They had an entire off-season to do something and help ease the storm a little bit yet here we are. 

I’m in the Camp of all parties probably share blame

He might very well be drawing attention to himself for a legitimate reason.

What we do know is that he loves to be in the spotlight.  

10 minutes ago, Heitz said:

We've finally reached peak speculation in a ridiculously speculative thread.  Oof. 

Maybe Josh is really a replicant sent here by Aliens? I MEAN WE JUST DON'T KNOW!! 🤣 

SMH...

at least some of us are doing our part to hit 300 pages, sir.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

I mean, Von said today “minicamps aren’t that important” so I’m gonna go with that and I don’t think I’m kidding myself. If this continues then yes I agree with you it becomes a problem.

It isn't Von's job to tell the truth. Every player should give that same answer in public. But the reality is the head coach publicly called out Diggs for missing mandatory minicamp today. It can't be hand waved away.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

This is the hill you’re trying to die on?  That fans are just ok with the playoffs and not a Super Bowl?  It’s absurd.  

It sounds simply insane to me. I’d rather be in the hunt every year for a decade and maybe win one or two than go “all in” to win it THIS year and be looking forward to the draft in October again. Going “all in” just improves your chances a little bit, and briefly. 

You don’t win the SB if you are not in the playoffs. The winner is often the team that peaks at the right time, and NEVER the team that went “all in” a few years ago and did not make the playoffs. I am NOT saying you can’t be aggressive and take your shots, and I think Beane has done that albeit mostly on D, but there are limits. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Capco said:

He might very well be drawing attention to himself for a legitimate reason.

What we do know is that he loves to be in the spotlight.  

Couldn’t he have just started a charity for inner city kids or helped an old lady across the street? 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't Von's job to tell the truth. Every player should give that same answer in public. But the reality is the head coach publicly called out Diggs for missing mandatory minicamp today. It can't be hand waved away.

Oh I know - McDermott handled it badly and I am not waving that away.

And I am not going to assume Von is lying just because he’s not obligated to tell the truth all the time.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Josh being a leader and supporting a teammate, an important one at that.

That's how I read into it.  Josh is very diplomatic with public comments, I think he's genuine most of the time, also realizes he's the most important player voice...so he's careful/calculated with his comments.

Too many ppl (media) reading into him taking blame/etc, he's just bringing perspective and saying everyone can do better.  Josh and Von both trying to help ease/support Stef, that's a captain or leader taking responsibility upon themselves, different than what espn was trying to headline

Yes I know but unless they're going to get into personal stuff and we know they aren't...there's just nothing to apologize for. Is Allen supposed to be sorry for turning Diggs into a perennial All Pro candidate? Is Diggs supposed to apologize for being one of the best receivers in football? It's just weird imo I don't understand what's going on at all

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott shouldn’t have made it public

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It sounds simply insane to me. I’d rather be in the hunt every year for a decade and maybe win one or two than go “all in” to win it THIS year and be looking forward to the draft in October again. Going “all in” just improves your chances a little bit, and briefly. 

You don’t win the SB if you are not in the playoffs. The winner is often the team that peaks at the right time, and NEVER the team that went “all in” a few years ago and did not make the playoffs. I am NOT saying you can’t be aggressive and take your shots, and I think Beane has done that albeit mostly on D, but there are limits. 

Of course.  That being said, there’s going to be a few who completely misinterpret this for no other reason than to have a new griping point.  Not to say there’s nothing to he critical of, but this is a good team.   A good team that hasn’t accomplished what it needs to yet, but a good team.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Probably wouldn't be great if all 53 players were pointing fingers on the sidelines in a playoff game and skipping out on day one of mandatory minicamp. There's a fine line between being an intense competitor and being a distraction. Diggs clearly is being a distraction right now. There's no way to minimize him missing practice today, certainly not after the messaging we saw from him the last time he was in the spotlight. Anyone pretending this isn't a big deal is lying to themselves. It's not the end of the world but it is a thing and nobody knows where it's headed.

I could care less these guys are running around in June, but I get your point.

My general comment is not specific to today's practice, but the overall mindset this team's needs to take moving forward. Stef is a fierce competitor with a huge edge, these situations happen (not good for Stef or team), but he also raises the bar for every WR/CB and surrounding teammates.  This is all hypothetical.

Nobody has all the information, is the main message right now.  Speculate sure, overreact and act like you're done with Diggs, Coach, or whomever is just childish/snap judgment behavior.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is the most logical explanation and particularly with how the offense sputtered out last season. Then Hall moves on, or isn’t retained or something to that effect, and it piles on with his somewhat random replacement. Seems like something these guys would bicker about.

1 minute ago, teef said:

Of course.  That being said, there’s going to be a few who completely misinterpret this for no other reason than to have a new griping point.  Not to say there’s nothing to he critical of, but this is a good team.   A good team that hasn’t accomplished what it needs to yet, but a good team.  

And honestly I believe if the Bills somehow win the superbowl, these same people would be spewing there hate if they then went out next year and didn't win another one lol. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.