Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

My belief:

He saw McD be unable to adjust with his rookie OC or step in.  Diggs is probably of the mind we need an offensive OC

13 Seconds and the scapegoat is essentially Frazier 1 year later.  And Coach Hall is gone for some reason.  

Inability to get another WR. 

Deep down believes window is closing - unfortunately it’s not about him and not everyone wins a SB Steff…

Now this is NOT how you handle this.  

That said I understand if this is what he believes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This is probably going to get worse, not better. You are between a rock and a hard place now. There is no solution besides placating him, but that feels like a temporary salving of a gaping wound.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He's just a leader with a lot of fire....

He's a me first guy who has consistently acted in his own best interest.   Leaders show up to camp, mandatory or not.

This will be his last year in Buffalo.

HUH?  He's under contract.  First potential out comes in 2025.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Your refusal to see a massive issue is not analogous with me over dramatizing.

The head coach himself said he is very concerned. Is he over dramatizing as well?

Dude…you couldn’t wait to run here, call everyone a homer, and talk about an iq score.  It’s wonderful. 

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Not calling you out, I haven't been on a lot like I have in the past. How did you manage to come across what you know (without giving up sources etc)  I'm just trying to catch up and am hoping your info is legit. 

IIRC, @HappyDays said something very similar shortly after the Bengals loss based on a contact he has on the team. (At least I think it was HappyDays, who is quite reliable.) He reported that the player told him that the beef between Allen and Diggs was real and that Allen was fed up with the tantrums. He had held his tongue for a long time, but he was sick of it by that point. (Correct me if I'm wrong, @HappyDays.)

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's my response to you being a child about it. You seem to have some weird agenda with trashing him despite him being a top 5 player at his position and putting together the best receiving seasons in Bills history.

I don't give a ***** about a 3 day minicamp in early June. I just hope the dude is ok. If he misses time in September, I'll be concerned about it.

Diggs is being childish.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Can’t imagine him being voted captain again this year.  I get sick of dealing with sensitive people always pouting about this and that where you constantly have to worry about their emotional state. 

Do you think that's a product of the communist system you grew up in?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's my response to you being a child about it. You seem to have some weird agenda with trashing him despite him being a top 5 player at his position and putting together the best receiving seasons in Bills history.

I don't give a ***** about a 3 day minicamp in early June. I just hope the dude is ok. If he misses time in September, I'll be concerned about it.

If I send you a picture of your avatar in the mail, will you sign it and send it back?  I would like to have the autograph of the toughest guy on the internet.  I would hang it on my workout room wall next to Johnny Lawrence.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

That's true. 

He does get that zombie look sometimes.

I'm the President of a company. I have risen to heights that most can only dream of. My IQ is tested. I am the opposite of a joke.

And I'm certainly smart enough to see that the homers have their teeth out today, as they have been proven disastrously and humiliatingly wrong.

Hey my IQ has been tested too!

They said I scored a 90.... so no big deal but I'm an A student which is PRETTY GOOD if you ask me.  My mom tells me how proud she is of me when she is done wiping the tears from her eyes!

• Haha (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

None of this really makes sense from a football perspective.  

Most holdouts are contract related.  But Stefon Diggs is already one of the highest paid receivers in football, just signed his extension a year ago and even agreed to a restructure in March.  He hasn't made any hints about being unhappy about money.  And nothing in his agent's statement suggested he was looking for a new contract.  So you can probably rule that out.

Some of have suggested his problem is usage related.  But this also makes no sense.  He's caught 100 passes each of the last three seasons with the team and has been the focal point of the passing game for that entire time.  Considering our additions at the WR position that surely isn't going to change in 2023.  Unless the guy expects to catch 150 balls every year, I can't imagine him being upset with this either.

Another idea is that he's not happy with someone on the team, especially after the playoff loss to the Bengals.  Maybe Ken Dorsey.  Maybe Josh Allen.  Maybe Sean McDermott.  Although I think that's a certainly a reasonable possibility -- it really doesn't make sense from Diggs perspective.  How does missing Day 1 of training camp fix the situation?  We can't go back and replay the Bengals game.  We can only move forward and hope to be better when the 2023 season and 2023 playoffs roll around.  

And if Diggs is hoping to demand a trade... it's already been stated numerous times that our cap situation would actually be WORSE to cut/trade him, than if we just let him sit the bench.  It isn't going to happen, no matter how many tantrums he throws.  He must know this.  Not to mention, why wouldn't he have formally requested a trade during the offseason?  Why be cryptic and quiet for months, and then surprise everyone the first day of camp?  And why would he have then shown up in Buffalo yesterday, met with Beane/McDermott and then left again this morning?  Just seems to be an irrational way to go about things.

Really nice post!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Diggs holds all the cards here and he knows it. 

What cards?  What is Diggs actually hoping to gain from holding out?  What is he trying to leverage?  

That's what makes zero sense in this whole thing.

If he's upset with the coaching staff, is he expecting the Bills to suddenly fire Sean McDermott or Ken Dorsey at this point in the season?  What good is holding out of camp going to do for anyone?  

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This…..I can’t disagree at all fans still have their head in the sand on how damaging 13 seconds was.  

Imo Diggs doesn’t trust the coaches anymore.

How he’s dealing with that in the locker room I have no idea.

That's an interesting proposition.  I've opined in the past that given that all the fans see the coaching shortcomings, that there's no way that the players don't.  That of course was typically met with the "it doesn't matter" mindset and that McD and his "Process," for however ill-defined much less evident that it is, still has the full respect and belief by the players. 

I'm with you, IMO that's a looming issue that has yet to play out.  That's why IMO this is a pivotal season.  

I've questioned my girls' soccer coach, who doesn't know WTF he's doing from a soccer perspective, but he's a great cheerleader.  How much more would I question a staff that left me flat after that "13 Seconds" debacle.  And a debacle it was.  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, teef said:

Dude…you couldn’t wait to run here, call everyone a homer, and talk about an iq score.  It’s wonderful. 

Would you like me to conform with the crowd.

Everything is great! Everything is fine! What a wonderful team we have! Diggs is only missing because he is out buying the entire team buffalo wings! McD was joking about being concerned.

If I'm purely speculating between what coach said, what the posters here with "inside info" said... maybe this lines up:

Diggs tells agent and trainer he's reporting to camp and plans to practice.

Diggs reports to buffalo/camp

They havent spoke about the end of season antics since January.

Diggs is still frustrated but planned to talk it out/practice

Coach and Beane discuss removing his C

Diggs is mad and leaves before practice, throwing everyone including his agent/trainer off

He shows up in a few days or never....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.