Like many here, Jim Kelly says JA can’t do it all. Here’s his solution

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Get a star RB.

I think most here would agree with JK’s statement about needing to take some pressure off of JA. But, there could be different opinions on how to most effectively make that happen.

Many here this off-season have wanted us to get a star RB and many here have wanted us to get a star #2WR (or #1bWR).

While both pieces would be nice, which is a more vital piece in your opinion to taking more pressure off of Josh and getting us a Super Bowl victory?

JK obviously knows offense. Because he played QB, if there’s anyone that knows what will take pressure off of a QB, it’s him. Is he right, is the more vital piece a star RB?

On the other hand, JK played in an offense from a different era where the RB position was a lot more important. Is the more vital piece a star #2WR?

Thoughts?

If you want to hear JK’s thoughts, click on play. Go Bills!

He also played the majority of his career without a salary cap. Teams were constructed differently then. You can’t allocate money for a star RB the way you used to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Get a star RB.

I think most here would agree with JK’s statement about needing to take some pressure off of JA. But, there could be different opinions on how to most effectively make that happen.

Many here this off-season have wanted us to get a star RB and many here have wanted us to get a star #2WR (or #1bWR).

While both pieces would be nice, which is a more vital piece in your opinion to taking more pressure off of Josh and getting us a Super Bowl victory?

JK obviously knows offense. Because he played QB, if there’s anyone that knows what will take pressure off of a QB, it’s him. Is he right, is the more vital piece a star RB?

On the other hand, JK played in an offense from a different era where the RB position was a lot more important. Is the more vital piece a star #2WR?

Thoughts?

Sounds like Jimbo wants McCaffrey too:wub:

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Burrow is a better processor. He is the best of the three of them at reading a defense in a split second. And even then I think him getting there with the line he had in 2021 was a bit of an anomaly tbh. I don't think a running back is more important than protection. Certainly not for this team and not for this QB. 

IMO, Josh Allen is John Elway reincarnated, but better looking. The arm strength, the size/mobility. Elway won SBs once he got a bonafide threat at RB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Mccaffrey was there for the taking... pretty good chance we would've hosted a parade in February if it did

now the defense is in decline and the division is tougher. Window closed. sad

100 percent chance we would've won:cry:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Eyeroll 1

Rinse and repeat. We did this last year and the year before.

A couple of weeks before the draft, suddenly we were all over Etienne, Harris. Last year it was Breece Hall. I really believe all this RB stuff comes from OBD as it is so easy to rile up the draft business with this stuff. Suddenly we are in on this Gibbs guy? It's silly stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah just keep building the line and try to find another impact WR. The running game was already good enough last year to take advantage of all the light boxes they faced. If you want the the RBs to take more pressure off Josh then just run the ball more and actually use Cook/Hines as check down options.

In Jim Kelly's era this is 100 percent true, I just saw a KC Chiefs team win the SB with a 7th round fill in, The Eagles had a 2nd rounder in Sanders but far from an all pro, The Rams won with I'm not even sure who at RB, Malcolm Brown? The days of needing Thurman Thomas are over imo. You need a solid to dominant OL and DL, that's why I say keep building the OL, in no way shape or form should we be content with McGovern and Stewart as upgrades to the OL. I think the DL is solid, Groot will become the man while Miller heals himself, solid secondary when healthy. Build the OL , protect Allen and open up holes for both Harris/Cook and we should be golden.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The one player answer is obvious.........get him a star WR2.

Another SB has passed and another team that won without a star RB.........it was a "trend" 18-20 years ago(when teams started going to split carry backfields)..........now it's blatantly obvious that you don't need or even want a star RB taking the ball out of your stud passers hands.

McBeane should really clam up about Allen running too much if they don't intend to get him a better receiving corps............only an idiot thinks that Josh Allen running is a result of the RB's not producing.........he doesn't run on run downs he runs on passing downs...........he runs because the receivers aren't open, are dropping passes or the pass pro broke down.

This

It's not the 90s anymore

• Like (+1) 1

Agree wholheartedly.  Sure, it's fun to watch Josh throw it 45 times per game, but I don't think that's the Bills recipe for sustained success as far as winning a Super Bowl.

Josh needs his Emmit Smith (Aikman)/Terrell Davis(Elway)/Corey Dillon(Brady)

That is, if you want to make his life easier. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Now if only McB could understand this concept. They've had 5+ years to improve the OL and they failed miserably. Andy improves his OL in one off season.  If I identify my qb as a generational superstar,  I'm sure as hell going to surround him immediately with weapons & OL.  Not dick around picking failed D lineman.

To be fair, Polian/Butler didn't have to deal with a salary cap until 1994, which is exactly when our roster (most notably our offensive line) and standard of play began to markedly diminish.  In 2020 you had the no. 2 ranked offense and the 14th ranked defense.  It only made sense for Beane to be focused on defense during the past two drafts - especially when you consider that our offense was essentially unstoppable during the 2021-2022 playoffs.

Kelly said the exact same thing when he got to Buffalo...that he couldn't do it alone. 

The Bills drafted Thurman Thomas when all other teams were afraid of his injury (tore his ACL)and the pounding he took in college (897 rushes for 4,595 yards). The Thing is...Barry Sander was his backup at OSU and when Thurman was injured, Barry took over. When Thurman returned the next season Barry went back to the bench. 

Finding a Thurman Thomas will be a difficult task considering the current scouts with the team.

The other part of this is the elite players that Bills GM Bill Polian found for that '90s Buffalo offensive line.  LT Will Wolford, LG Jim Ritcher, and C Kent Hull were all top players that were with the team all those glory years. A big reason Thurman was so good and they made it to 4 super bowls. Some holes so large an 18-wheeler could drive through. 

I'm really getting tired of Buffalo signing these retread-average joes for the O line. An average O-line is not going to get this team to a super bowl!! 

Watching Josh Allen run for his life against the Bengals with little run game to help him out...

Then watching Patrick Mahomes O line not allowing one single sack against the 2022 best-pressure, sacking team in the NFL, the Philadelphia Eagles.

Does anyone else correlate why one team lost and the other won? KC in trading away their most lethal WR weapon in Tyreek Hill and... it... didn't... matter! 

Brandon Beane, stop screwing around!  BUILD THAT OFFENSIVE LINE! We all saw what happened in 2021 when Josh had time in the pocket... perfect games! 

Also, Buffalo needs to find some scouts that know how to evaluate WR, O line, and RB talent. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Another SB has passed and another team that won without a star RB.........it was a "trend" 18-20 years ago(when teams started going to split carry backfields)..........now it's blatantly obvious that you don't need or even want a star RB taking the ball out of your stud passers hands.

McBeane should really clam up about Allen running too much if they don't intend to get him a better receiving corps............only an idiot thinks that Josh Allen running is a result of the RB's not producing.........he doesn't run on run downs he runs on passing downs...........he runs because the receivers aren't open, are dropping passes or the pass pro broke down.

everything here. 

jim is bringing answers from his career but it’s a drastically different era. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Jim would know. Those offenses from the Super Bowl era were led by Thurman. Jim even mentioned at the time that when Thurman was having a good game (which was most of the time) that it opened everything else up. Jim also played behind a good OL. Allen doesn't.

The Bills win Super Bowl XXV if Jimbo is willing to hand the ball to Thurman more often. That’s the thing, in order to run effectively, you have to be willing to try running. Go figure!  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The new free agency structure appeared in early 1993 as I recall, and the first thing that new structure did was kick the Bills organization in the face and then follow that up with a curb-stomping. I'm talking about the Will Wolford contract shenanigans. That was ridiculous.

Yep and the first thing that went around the league were the offensive lines.........which made quick hitting west coast offenses almost a necessity........which allowed the DC's to bring out concepts like "zone blitz" that would have been laughable against say, the 1983 Redskins offense.

Imagine if this board existed back when UFA first started and the NFL immediately awarded the Cardinals a 1st round pick for not even attempting to re-sign safety Tim McDonald........and initially gave the Bills nothing for losing stud LT Will Wolford who they had tried to retain but were duped by an escalator clause that required Wolford to be the highest paid offensive player on the team.    A year later the Bills got a measly 2nd round comp pick for a stud LT out of that fiasco.   TSW freaks out about 3rd round comp picks now. 🤣

Incidentally, there was an Ed Kilgore thread on here recently.   Anyone who feels bad for those old farts who are casualties of the internet and 24 hour news cycle needs to remember that those days SUCKED when it came to following the league.    Nobody talked about that Wolford BS at all.    There was a passing mention that the Bills would get some kind of comp pick next year then nothing in the media thereafter.    It got close to that draft and there was still nothing.   So I called Ed up at his desk and he was pissed that I asked him to look into and mention such an inconsequential issue.   He had no clue about it.  Imagine the local news not knowing if the Bills were going to be awarded a draft pick now.  😆

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We took a running back in the second round just like we did Thurman 😄

Cook looked pretty good to me in his limited roll last season and I feel he can easily perform as good and likely better than Devin

in the roll of the 60% snap RB.  I think he is more explosive and has a higher ceiling than Singletary had.  

With Damien Harris as a true compliment with different skills and running style, I'm actually pretty hyped with what the backfield can

do this coming year.  Sprinkle in some specific plays designed for Hines and I don't see a problem.

It's up to Dorsey to dovetail the playcalling to maximize their skills and potential.  That's with both the passing and running games.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Totally agree. That's why these knuckleheads failed Josh by not getting him a dynamic OL.  The OL should've been #1 on the grocery list.  Disappointments like Ford, Saffold,  Brown & Quessenberry only validate how Beane is locked in to desperate dumpster dives or guys from an "OL powerhouse"🤭 like Northern Iowa?

.....and yes Josh deserves better than Gabe (Wr3) Davis.  They somehow thought grabbing Diggs was all they had to do?  Stupid and irresponsible strategy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

everything here. 

jim is bringing answers from his career but it’s a drastically different era. 

Not really, it's just the trend that everyone is following. 

Kyle Shanahan features his RBs and is successful doing it. He just needs someone a little better than Garopollo at the helm. 

I prefer his offensive scheme over anything I've seen here in the past 5 years.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Kyle Shanahan features his RBs and is successful doing it. He just needs someone a little better than Garopollo at the helm. 

I agree completely,  but you have to keep the team full of talent, and to his credit he does.

Which is why he can't pay a QB, but his team isn't dependent on any one player.

Hard to duplicate though.

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Same as when the Pats went to 2 athletic TEs. No other team was doing it at the time and it worked because defenses weren't constructed to deal with it.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Get a star RB.

Thoughts?

Respect his opinion, but the league has changed since the no-huddle K-gun with Thurman Thomas.  Super Bowl winning teams of the last decade have not had nor needed pro-bowlers at the RB position.

The best way to help Josh is through more weapons at receiver, a much improved o-line, and smart play calling.  

11 minutes ago, BillsClinton said:

James Cook was quietly a very good multi-purpose back, but we basically never used him.

After watching that I just want to say that all of the "experts" here who beat the drum that Cook can't run between the tackles were wrong.

His vision makes him good at that and I don't want to hear it anymore.

Looking forward to his first season as the top bill RB!

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Totally agree. That's why these knuckleheads failed Josh by not getting him a dynamic OL.  The OL should've been #1 on the grocery list.  Disappointments like Ford, Saffold,  Brown & Quessenberry only validate how Beane is locked in to desperate dumpster dives or guys from an "OL powerhouse"🤭 like Northern Iowa?

.....and yes Josh deserves better than Gabe (Wr3) Davis.  They somehow thought grabbing Diggs was all they had to do?  Stupid and irresponsible strategy. 

I'm more in on the playmaker aspect because the unfortunate reality is that you can't keep offensive lines together.   There is a reason that there aren't any memorable offensive line driven teams in the past 20+ years.

The closest thing to one is the Patriots........and while they had maybe a HOF level line coach they were more a product of a QB who got the ball out lightning quick than they were some kind of dominant blocking unit.  

And that's it.

We just saw a tremendous OL in Philly last season........but two years from now they could be trash(like Tampa last year versus their SB unit).

QB and receiver combo's can be kept together for long stretches........making them all the more worthwhile to invest in.

On the OL the clear formula for not being undermined by that unit seems to be a good LT and two solid guards gets the job done.   C and RT can be JAGs or even a bit less as blockers.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm more in on the playmaker aspect because the unfortunate reality is that you can't keep offensive lines together.   There is a reason that there aren't any memorable offensive line driven teams in the past 20+ years.

The closest thing to one is the Patriots........and while they had maybe a HOF level line coach they were more a product of a QB who got the ball out lightning quick than they were some kind of dominant blocking unit.  

And that's it.

We just saw a tremendous OL in Philly last season........but two years from now they could be trash(like Tampa last year versus their SB unit).

QB and receiver combo's can be kept together for long stretches........making them all the more worthwhile to invest in.

On the OL the clear formula for not being undermined by that unit seems to be a good LT and two solid guards gets the job done.   C and RT can be JAGs or even a bit less as blockers.  

What do you think of the FA guards they signed? This is apparently a particularly weak draft. I doubt they are going to find a LT. Where would you concentrate the day one and two picks?

53 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I agree completely,  but you have to keep the team full of talent, and to his credit he does.

Which is why he can't pay a QB, but his team isn't dependent on any one player.

Hard to duplicate though.

SF has a different approach for sure.  But give me the Diggs/ Hopkins and gang - throw it all over the  yard and blow teams out approach all day long.  Much more exciting.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The year after Wolford left, Thomas went from being a guy who averaged nearly 5 ypc every season between 1988-1992 to a guy averaging 3.7 in 1993. And his yards per reception, which had always been between 10.2 an 11.6 up to that point, shrank to 8.1. It was the line. Wolford was a HOF quality LT who left after 1992, and in 1993 both Hull and Ritcher missed games too. Thomas went from being elite to a decent player. They made the SB that season not because of the offense but because the defense generated 47 turnovers. To be fair, the Bills' line steamrolled the Chiefs D in the championship game, but that's because the Chiefs' d-line was made up of pass rushers. As people may recall, Derrick Thomas was benched midway through that game.

Anyway, Kelly is a HOF player, but I think the line is a lot more important than the RB (not that RB quality doesn't matter).

Escalator clause 😠

• Like (+1) 1

When things aren’t going as you hoped, you need to be able to run the ball. Instead the Bills have been doubling down on the hero ball passing game which has not always worked out too well.it puts it all on JA which is maybe what JK is saying

Edited by bmur66

No way in hell. I’m still recovering from the CJ Spiller disaster. Build the freakin O-Line even if they have to reach a little bit, maybe even trade down. Protect your 100 million $ QB. Buffalos weapons are adequate enough to get it done. Watch everyone improve when you give Allen some decent protection, watch the running game vastly improve. I can’t believe anyone would even consider wasting a 1st rounder in a RB. Actually it blows my mind. This isn’t the 90s anymore, Jim. Unless there’s a Saquon Barkley level prospect then I would jump on board, but there isn’t. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.