Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

Just now, John from Riverside said:

There is nothing to say that that would happen

You're absolutely right, but like they say "The definition of madness is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

I don't think Frazier was horrible, but a change is needed. He never performed well in the post-season.  Our post-season success is Allen going superman on teams, and herculean efforts by individual players (Taron Johnson's 98 yard pick six).

Frazier turtled in the big moments. I feel like we need somebody a bit more bold.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

That's not it for me.  But our D has collapsed in the playoffs consistently.  I'm not saying that entirely on Frazier, and we have faced great offenses - but I'm more interested to find out if someone else CAN be better, than possibly seeing more of the same year in & year out.

This might be a smart move by Frazier.  Like it or not, true or false, there's a belief that deficiencies in play calling and scheme that have resulted in some big failures are on Leslie.  So he takes a year off.  Now we'll find out if its Leslie or Sean.  If the Bills defense continues to make these scheme and play calling gaffes with a new coordinator then we can be pretty sure its on McDermott.  And Frazier can go into next season looking for work and rightly claim its not on him.  The danger is the Bills improve in those areas and it is him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

He may have fielded a consistently good defense on the field during the regular season but they've also consistently fallen flat against top caliber teams in post season.   Fans here want someone who might get us over that peak isntead of always 10ft short of the summit.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nope. Because the new DC might not be able to stop the rest of the league. 

Yes, because the entire team will be so depressed that Leslie is gone they won’t be able to play anymore…

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is really weird timing, and not too long after Chad Hall decided to leave. What is going on with the coaching staff?

https://www.king5.com/article/sports/nfl/seahawks/seahawks-fire-offensive-coordinator-brian-schottenheimer/281-15c625cd-b3d6-4e1d-a4b3-76c1cb1da4b4#:~:text=The Seattle Seahawks fired offensive,%2C citing "philosophical differences."

Sometimes you need to shake things up even when things look good statistically. 

• Agree 1

Hope springs eternal!

Frazier has been a good coach/DC throughout his career. It has been no different in his time with the Bills.

But it was definitely time for a new DC. We need a scheme that compliments our offensive scheme more, and with all the turnover/changes to this year's defensive roster, it's the perfect time.

I wish Frazier the best, but defensive play calling has been such a HUGE problem as soon as we get to the playoffs every year for the past 3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Losing your 2 defensive captains and DC is a mighty big shake.

I hope it’s not health related. I hadn’t even really considered that until I saw it mentioned here.

Personally, I still think this was McDermott’s “classy” way of moving on from Frazier. When they say he intends to be back next season I think they mean as an NFL coach, not necessarily in Buffalo.

I think he may have been looking for another DC job behind the scenes and when all those roles were filled they moved to this “take a year off” thing.

well, whatever the reason he’s leaving I wish Frazier well! I thought it was time to move on. I thought he took us as far as he could. But I still feel bad for him. I’ve did a lot of good here and seems like a great man. Hope he’s able to find a DC role next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Frazier won’t be back after the one year hiatus unless it’s in a senior analyst role. 

This was a nice way of we’re moving on but probably have an internal candidate they’re going to give the job to.  I hope it’s someone who wants to be more aggressive like Spagnuolo who gets crushed sometimes but always dials up the right one or two calls to get a stop when they need it

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean I get it because we have Super Bowl aspirations and the bar is set higher. But Frazier by every metric is better at his job than 90% of the world is at theirs. He obviously has flaws but what was he supposed to do this year? All the safety injuries, Miller, Tre White not being Tre yet, and spending high picks on d linemen who just might not be that good. 

easy thing in the world is to blame the coach. What if the talent isn’t really that good?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Now we’ll see if Beane can make a move to improve our defense. “Bend don’t break “ has been the mantra in the Frazier era. Now with the potential loss of two productive starters, Poyer and Edmunds, we are in danger of taking a step back unless personnel moves and a new coaching philosophy are meaningful. Please no more Carolina retreads.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This thread is sad. Never seen a classy guy who  constantly had a top 10 unit get so much hate. 

celebrating a good guy not doing the thing he loves to do (and not knowing the reason) seems like very bad mojo. 

“Classy” and “likable” mean nothing in sports if the job isn’t getting done. It’s a cutthroat industry, all that matters is results. If Frazier was a total d*ck, but called a defense that played above the talent he had on the field. No one would care. 

McD has now parted ways with both of his initial coordinators. Our HC is classy and likable as well, but if the Bills don’t show progress, guess who’s next on the chopping block?

• Like (+1) 2

Well it seems as if Frazier may be on here and reads how much the Bills Mafia B**CH's about him so he''s taking a year off to clear his head & let those fans B**CH about someone or something else as far as the D goes .

It will be interesting to see what happens this will either prove 1 of 2 things that Frazier calling of the game was better than the fans here ever would give him credit for & the drop off this season will be noticeable .

Or the D will stay the same & be almost as good as it has been which will give those here that complain a "See I Told You SO" moment .

• Like (+1) 1

For me, this is a positive if we can focus on these key components:

1. Continue to keep the same core defensive principles and scheme that has resulted in consistently strong regular-season defenses.  "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"
  2. Be able to PROACTIVELY prepare and respond to how playoff opponents with strong coaching staffs might plan to attack you.  When 72,000 fans in the stands can see that the problem is not having your DB's playing 10 yards off, that's an issue
  3. Have someone on the sidelines with some fire in their belly - who can ATTACK when needed, and get the players focused and fired up.  Nothing bothered me more than seeing Frazier stand there with no expression like Jauron 2.0
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

This thread is sad. Never seen a classy guy who  constantly had a top 10 unit get so much hate

celebrating a good guy not doing the thing he loves to do (and not knowing the reason) seems like very bad mojo. 

I haven't seen anyone giving "hate", although I haven't read the entire thread...but from what I have seen is posts stating while they acknowledge the fact of a top 10 regular season, post season not so much. 

If that's what you would consider "getting hate", then I just don't see it

2 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

"Since 2017, the Bills have allowed an average of 20 points per game (3rd in the NFL over that span), 315 total yards per game (1st), 202 passing yards per game (1st), 107 passing touchdowns (1st), have racked up 99 interceptions (2nd) and 158 takeaways (2nd)."

Imagine being upset about this.

He was/is a great regular season DC. 

53 minutes ago, Beast said:

He had his moments. He frustrated Lamar Jackson. The defense rose to the occasion at KC last season. It feasted on lesser opponents.

Unfortunately when I think of Frazier, and even McDermott, 13 seconds is at the forefront of my memories.

wuttttttt lol are you talking the reg season game that nobody cares about?

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

What quality DC is going to accept a job for one year??  This is an odd move. If they're serious that he'll be back in 2024 then they'll probably just look to fill his shoes from within.  This is so weird it’s almost dysfunctional. 

It’s certainly not one year away and he’s back. It’s a polite “thank you for your time” from a class organization with abundant patience.   Just as I see it

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Weird.. 

Doesn’t change anything probably but weird to take a year off 

It’s convenient and respectable way to move on. Much like a “mutual decision to part ways.” I’d be shocked if he wasn’t done in Buffalo.

Thanks and so long.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.