Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Why do you hope Holcomb isn't DC?  Seems like he did a good job when he took over the Panthers' DC role...

Because I think it will be more the same.. I want a new scheme , but that’s probably not going to happen.. I just want a more aggressive approach , I’m willing to sacrifice a big play to try and force the Qb into a mistake. I think you can play that kind of defense , the way our offense can score. 

• Agree 1

As many have already said, Frazier won't be returning here if he returns. The defense has completely failed us on the biggest stages the last 3 years. Yes, they look decent in the regular season, but the Playoff gaffes have brought us to this point. Hopefully this means we are going to be heading towards more of a Jim Johnson style of defense. If so, that explains a bit about what we are going to be looking to do defensively with our offseason moves. 

Edited by H2o

1 minute ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Wasn’t there rumors last year the Daboll was going to leave the Bills last year even if he didn’t get a head coaching job? Something about butting heads with McDermott? And now a season later our DC, after basically all the coaching changes and coordinators positions have been filled, decides to ‘take a year off’? 
Odd. Very odd. 

Gotta love those rumors

• Haha (+1) 1

As someone has already stated, hopefully everything is well in the health department. That's priority #1.

If he is fine, this is good news, not so much because Frazier was the only or even the main reason for the lack of success when it really mattered, but because it may (hopefully) be a sign of a willingness to change, to do things differently from McBeane that may carry on during the draft and free agency.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Because I think it will be more the same.. I want a new scheme , but that’s probably not going to happen.. I just want a more aggressive approach , I’m willing to sacrifice a big play to try and force the Qb into a mistake. I think you can play that kind of defense , the way our offense can score. 

I wonder if people understand that whenever you make an entirely new defense often you need entirely new players, which means that the defense is going to take a step back for a year while they get those players in position

Just something to think about

1 minute ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Wasn’t there rumors last year the Daboll was going to leave the Bills last year even if he didn’t get a head coaching job? Something about butting heads with McDermott? And now a season later our DC, after basically all the coaching changes and coordinators positions have been filled, decides to ‘take a year off’? 
Odd. Very odd. 

The organization has always treated Frazier like he’s the Buddha or something.  From giving the defense every possible resource to the constant drumbeat of saying it’s a travesty he ain’t a head coach to this weird-ass way of firing/not firing him.  Weird all the way around.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wish Leslie well. He is an unfairly maligned scapegoat for way too many fans. 

Excellent coach, even better person. Has done a great job here over the past 6 years.

He has built a great regular season defense. But it was time for a change.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

What’s the quicker path to OC, Dorsey being fired or Super Bowl winning OC/Head Coach Doug Pederson being fired?  This wasn’t about a quicker path to OC.

Do you want to learn from a 1st year coordinator or a Super Bowl winning offensive coach? 
Davis Webb followed Daboll and yet took a coaching job with Denver. He learned from Daboll and now gets to learn from Payton. All about gaining experience and the smart ones learn from multiple coaching trees. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if people understand that whenever you make an entirely new defense often you need entirely new players, which means that the defense is going to take a step back for a year while they get those players in position

Well, I wouldn't say "entirely" new players, but definitely would need a few

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

This defense, which is McD's, depends on getting pressure with the front 4.  When that doesn't happen, you get the results we got against good teams.  The scheming isn't going to change as long as McD is here.  Unless they can generate a better pass rush with the front 4, I don't see much changing. Maybe a little more aggressive play calling, but that's only going to go so far.

Hopefully it will go far enough, 🤞

like I said in the post you responded to, “maybe” McDermott realizes his scheme needs adjustments, 🤞 and we all know Leslie is not one to make adjustments ever. Fingers crossed that it will be change for the better, 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don't think we see a new scheme as long as McD is here.  Same D, different play caller.  Sometimes, that's all it takes to have vastly different results.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not saying we need to switch to a 3-4 or anything. But you can call plays different with the players we have. And we probably will have a few different players next year because of the cap. But I get what you’re saying. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wish Leslie well. He is an unfairly maligned scapegoat for way too many fans. 

Excellent coach, even better person. Has done a great job here over the past 6 years.

“Great” could describe his regular season accolades, “average to poor” could describe his postseason failures. If the bolded were true in terms of the entirety of his stay, I’d surmise he wouldn’t be taking a year off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

I'll take a slide down in the regular season if it means better post-season performance with better situational playcalling when it matters. 

• Agree 2

Current job opening at OBD:

Summary: Come in and be the face of a defense that you have no actual control over because it's run by the head coach, without saying as much to anyone.

Qualifications:

- ability to take misplaced blamed from fans who should know better

- cover for head coach's idiotic and static defensive scheme

- keep quiet and look around aimlessly when said head coach is wasting challenges and timeouts whilst figuratively $hitt**g all over himself in any pressure situation

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This board is hilarious.   Guy gets his team in the top 10 for all but one year he is here and you guys automatically think the next guy will be better.   Grass isnt always greener.  

This board loved a scapegoat. Presently Leslie is it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How did he do in the playoffs last 3 years? That important? But ohh those regular season stats...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People thinking the next DC will be able to stop the Chiefs are in for a rude awakening.

Well, being that our most recent DC couldn’t, it a push then isn’t it…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.