Tua ruled out vs Buffalo, Skylar Thompson expected to start

Process

8 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m taking everything for granted.  The bills will roll.    Jinx this and jinx that.   I’ll punch my wife publicly if the bills lose. 

I’ll punch her in the face if we lose too!

B0D779B5-804D-4B9E-97E0-497D99372AA2.jpeg

Edited by Beast
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m taking everything for granted.  The bills will roll.    Jinx this and jinx that.   I’ll punch my wife publicly if the bills lose. 

Welrd, I read this as “pubicly”. But maybe that’s what you meant?

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Exactly.  I watched the Jets - Dolphins highlights, and Thompson had no problem dinking and dunking, and based on how we made Mac Jones look last week, Thompson will have easy completions if we play the same way.  Their goal will be to control the clock with long boring sustaining drives to try and keep the game close.

6 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Fair point Simon.

I wouldn't totally agree that they dominated both sides of the ball THROUGHOUT the game, but certainly I agree that they did early on and at various points in the game. I think our defensive scheme to take away the middle of the field led to part of the issues you mention. I also feel like we were able to run at them at key moments (from a keep the chains moving perspective), and elminate guys like Chubb in pass protection.

Cover1 has some good reviews of the film from that game. Josh certainly was the biggest factor late.

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I understand your point, but I just don't think this team is built like that. I don't think they look past anyone. There's not one game this year, won or lost, that I have gotten the sense they underestimated their opponent. I also think with Skylar's ineffectiveness moving the football through the air it will allow us to focus more on the run game early. If we get up by two or three scores in the first half, which is completely possible, then Miami is going to be forced to throw the football with their rookie QB. A rookie QB in his first Playoff start, in one of the most hostile environments in the NFL for opposing teams at that. I like our chances. :thumbsup:

I'm probably just subconsciously playing devil's advocate but watching the front 6/7 get blown off the ball for 3 qrtrs a few weeks ago gives me dangerous visions of McCarthy for once in his career not outthinking himself and instead continuing to hammer at the ground game to suck up clock, wear down a banged-up DL and limit Allen's possessions.

Also a little uncomfortable at never having even seen Skylar play and not knowing what he can do well enough to be on an NFL roster. Does he have a light arm but a lightning release that can create problems for us when we're giving Waddle/Hill big cushions on early downs? Does he have fast feet if they decide to show us a bunch of read option that we're not likely to be spending much time prepping for? Is he the kind of sneaky athlete that makes guys take bad angles when they haven't seen him and we end up getting Blake Bortled all day? Or having known all week they won't have Tua or Mostert, are they going to have been practicing to spring a bunch of jet sweeps and bubble screens on a team that usually tackles well, but not always?

I agree that McDermott will have them ready as he seems to be getting better at that aspect of the job the longer he's here. And there's really nothing on paper that would make you think that we're going to lose a game where we limit penalties, avoid turning the ball over and don't run around with our rifle pointed at our feet.

I think I've just got those playoff nerves mixed with a bit of a belief that we're ultimately fated to bow out earlier than we'd like and unnecessarily worried that it will be against a division rival. 

Paranoia, the destroya... :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Sorry, but I can't take a Tua-less Miami team seriously.  We should thump any team that rolls in here with their 3rd-string QB.  If the Bills somehow lose this game, I'll be able to sleep like a baby knowing that there's no way were getting past the Bengals or Chiefs so there's no need to play "what if?" in the back of my mind.  

BINGO to the bolded red.

And to the bolded black  me either. At Home?  they are NOT going to lose this game. I'd be frankly shocked at any other outcome  besides BIG DUB

Is Nyheim Hines finished scoring in these playoffs? Their special teams are going to be playing us scared. And with #17 healthy we can score points. Will the Bills defense stop the Fish? Playing again at home and for #3 I say YES

squish em Squish em GOOD😊 GO BILLS!~!~!!!

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Feel bad for Tua - guy has been nothing but nice and mature in his career, and he has been derailed by early season hype and poor medical support.  Guy is a decent QB when healthy.

I expect the line to move to Bills -15 or HIGHER.  Hopefully we win this game and keep injury free as we move to divisional.

What we have seen from the Bills over the years - they FEAST on below average QBs.  Their defense is great at making QB's play well and make good throws consistently.  I expect Skyler to struggle

How was he derailed by early season hype. He played elite football when healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Simon said:

The phish average over 7.5 yrds a carry against the Bills front; Buffalo's ballcarriers averaged less than half of that.

We trailed by 8 in that game with less than 10:00 left and if Ma Nature had not started firing snowballs in Miami's grill, we may have lost to them.

If McCarthy had not lost his mind and started chucking the ball around while they were successfully hammering it down our throat, we would have lost to them.

I agree there is potential for a big win here, but there is also some potential for the Bills to walk out there overconfident, get pushed around and find themselves in the kind of dog fight they weren't prepared for coming in.

It isn't just about Skyler Thompson. Their entire OL is banged up. Waddle and Hill are nursing injuries.  Mostert is unlikely to play. I would actually be very nervous about this game if we were facing the same squad from a few weeks ago. With this injury ravaged crew facing off against a fully healthy and motivated Bills team I don't see how they stand a chance. So yeah I still consider it almost as good as a bye week, earlier results in the season notwithstanding. They'll put up a fight but they aren't going to push us around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, klos63 said:

How was he derailed by early season hype. He played elite football when healthy.

Not him specifically, his team.  Once Miami bought into their hype at 3-0, they decided they had to play Tua after the Bills game to keep pace as the division leader.  Then Tua gets a second concussion, and never really recovered

5 hours ago, RG Murdock said:

A lot of gloating going on here. Not a good look. The Bills could easily be in this position some day. If the Bills can't stop the run, it might be a moot point. Go Bills, but don't overlook the rest of the significant offensive talent on Miami's roster. There are PLENTY of instances, where a banged up, underdog team won a big playoff game when they were huge underdogs. It's a huge motivator for an otherwise extremely talented roster. And the Bills have been playing DOWN to the level of their inferior opponents all year... BEWARE!!!    

lol.

lmao.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand why some of you people watch football. Do you actually enjoy the sport or is it a chore?

Bills will be up 7-3 in the first Q and these folks will be screaming about how 'we took them too lightly" on our way to a 38-6 romping.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

My brain read this as “Tua Salad”.

Tu(n)a

Ta(n)govailoa

7 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I haven't used the "cake walk" phrase lately because it seemed like it was starting to become a curse. I refuse to speak of it at playoff time. Circumstances with Fins QB be damned

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Welrd, I read this as “pubicly”. But maybe that’s what you meant?

http://bouldertherapist.com/html/humor/MentalHealthHumor/rorschach.html

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Not him specifically, his team.  Once Miami bought into their hype at 3-0, they decided they had to play Tua after the Bills game to keep pace as the division leader.  Then Tua gets a second concussion, and never really recovered

Actually, he never got over the first concussion because some quack declared him ready to play. He still had the concussion going into the Cincy game. So in reality, he's only had two this year. It was really bad management by the doctors and the Dolphins. 

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Do much do you pay monthly for your subscription to the Gwinnett Daily Post?

Edited by HappyDays

10 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

If one is to believe McDaniel:  "It's a serious injury; it's hard to know if he'll be able to play this week," McDaniel said. "I never put anything past Raheem Mostert ... but it is a significant break of his thumb."

Playing one handed as a RB definitely has disadvantages!  This seems like another break for us. 

It seems like it's destiny for the bills and Bengals players to get here do over 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

McDaniel thinks their season extends beyond Sunday

Time to blight those hopes.

I'm not seeing, at least in that tweet, where McDaniel thinks they'll be playing past Sunday.  I think he's saying they'd rather have Bridgewater be the backup on Sunday than Mike Glennon.  I would too.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Just my opinion but I think Tua will hang them up or at least should, that is alot of head trauma in 1 season.

He should but I'll bet he returns for next season.  Unless he's suffering permanent symptoms.

• Like (+1) 1

The Fins are going to run it, WR screen it, and slant us to death.  Their QB won't hold the ball.  It's going to be on us to make sure we tackle well which has been a major issue for us all season.  I have never seen a worse tackling team than we have been this season.  That said, if the offense can put up 28+, and get up really early, we should win comfortably.  But this is the NFL.  It's a division opponent that has played dirty at times.  Regardless of the spread, we will need to be on our game if for no other reason than to get out of the game healthy.  Bad things can happen if you are not 100% engaged in the game.  Stay focused on the task at hand and survive and advance.  That is what the Playoffs are all about.

• Like (+1) 1

Skylar isn’t anything special but he doesn’t have to be. All he needs to do is to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers, and let them do the rest. We don’t have a great cover scheme, and Hill kills us with slants and crosses. I can see them running the ball mixed with short routes that get their receivers in space.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Skylar isn’t anything special but he doesn’t have to be. All he needs to do is to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers, and let them do the rest. We don’t have a great cover scheme, and Hill kills us with slants and crosses. I can see them running the ball mixed with short routes that get their receivers in space.

They could be missing 3 starting offensive linemen too…tough to get guys in space in that situation.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not seeing, at least in that tweet, where McDaniel thinks they'll be playing past Sunday.  I think he's saying they'd rather have Bridgewater be the backup on Sunday than Mike Glennon.  I would too.

Sounds like they’re gonna try to start teddy and they don’t want him takin reps in practice to keep him healthy.  I feel like teddy is gonna start and this Skylar Thompson stuff has been a smokescreen 

the quote about Skylar has been ‘they’re preparing like he is gonna be the starter’ 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

The Fins are going to run it, WR screen it, and slant us to death.  Their QB won't hold the ball.  It's going to be on us to make sure we tackle well which has been a major issue for us all season.  I have never seen a worse tackling team than we have been this season.  That said, if the offense can put up 28+, and get up really early, we should win comfortably.  But this is the NFL.  It's a division opponent that has played dirty at times.  Regardless of the spread, we will need to be on our game if for no other reason than to get out of the game healthy.  Bad things can happen if you are not 100% engaged in the game.  Stay focused on the task at hand and survive and advance.  That is what the Playoffs are all about.

Never seen a worse tackling team? Ever? Idk about that lmao

6 hours ago, sven233 said:

And the bills know that Miami’s office is going to be extremely limited because they don’t have a quarterback that can push the ball down the field to their lethal weapons

Let’s keep in mind that before they barely beat the Jets they lost like five straight games

I’m not saying taken lightly, but I’m not afraid of them either

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t see how this game will be competitive without Tua.  I’m not worried about the beginning of the game.  This team under McBeane has gone from terrible in game adjustments to one of the best.  How many times have we been close in the first half to pulling away in the second half.

It'll only be close if the Bills can't stop the run and Miami converts RZ opportunities into points.

I don't see it happening.

Side note: keep Phillips on the sideline; he can't stop the run with that gimpy arm.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.