Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Right but why did he have a heartbeat but not breathing at the hospital ??

With this arrest , it is pretty standard to be intubated so high concentrations of oxygen can be delivered and sedated to allow his brain to require less oxygen as it attempts to recover.  You can have a heartbeat on your own or maintained with medications , but breathing on your own depends on the status of your nervous system. It will take time for them to know and assess his brain activity as we can assume there was some period of compromise while getting cpr.  Right now he is given sedation meds to rest the brain and that lets it require less oxygen as it begins to recover /function.  So far this is standard with an arrest.  Time is important now and he is in a great hospital.   Associated with med school and residencies I believe so that’s very good.  Hope that helps.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well sure looks like those doctors opinions are looking more and more likely given it was announced he did suffer cardiac arrest after sustaining the hit.  

So again, hating on the many doctors who came out and explained what this was and why it’s was a very plausible explanation of what happened seems not only off base, but unnecessary.  

Whatever.  You are a great asset to this board. But you are arguing about silly stuff that is opinions. Get real. 

2 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

The defibrillator is used to shock the heart back into a rhythmic beating , so it can effectively pump blood with oxygen to the brain, heart, and all organs.  It is only used when the heart is beating in a non life sustaining rhythm or if it already stopped as in asystole.  It does not stop the heart but synchronizes the electrical impulses so the heart chambers all contract as they do normally to be an effective pump.  The heart has two types of tissue, muscle and electrical conducting tissues., but simply put , it is a pump and had to contract in synchrony to work as a good pump.  Hope that helps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What an absolutely demoralizing night, and I'm just a fan. Corny but I love all you guys, and love our love for our team... And tonight put into perspective how short life is and how unimportant the game is itself in the grand scheme of things.. this is a game, Damar is a human with a family. Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

The defibrillator is used to shock the heart back into a rhythmic beating , so it can effectively pump blood with oxygen to the brain, heart, and all organs.  It is only used when the heart is beating in a non life sustaining rhythm or if it already stopped as in asystole.  It does not stop the heart but synchronizes the electrical impulses so the heart chambers all contract as they do normally to be an effective pump.  The heart has two types of tissue, muscle and electrical conducting tissues., but simply put , it is a pump and had to contract in synchrony to work as a good pump.  Hope that helps. 

So is 5-10 minutes a long time to get the electrical impulses in the heart going again and get a pulse?

what’s the stats on recovery

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

So is 5-10 minutes a long time to get the electrical impulses in the heart going again and get a pulse?

They ain't good...

Hope our guy makes a bunch of liars

Edited by loyal2dagame

Just now, loyal2dagame said:

Whatever.  You are a great asset to this board. But you are arguing about silly stuff that is opinions. Get real. 

That’s just it though, I’m not arguing his opinion.  I’m not even arguing any opinion.  He isn’t even arguing an opinion, he just shared a possible cause based on what was known at that time.

All I am saying is I don’t see the harm in medical experts sharing insights on possible explanations to what could have happened given the extreme circumstances and rarity of what we witnessed tonight.

All good

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have never seen anything like that in my life…not even any of the really awful neck injuries where you weren’t sure if the players would even walk again.  The whole bills team thought they were watching their friend die on the field it was absolutely awful 

I thought it was a heart attack. A bad one. 

So many prayers willing it to not be true.

16 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

They ain't good...

Hope our guy makes a bunch of liars

No one knows how much damage may have occurred due to lack of oxygen to his brain.  As well the actual locations that were deprived long enough to die matter in that they may be areas that did not contain control of vital functions.  He may wake up with no noticeable problems,  or he could wake up and have a bad case of amnesia.  We have to wait till he's conscious to ask him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Time is critical for the brain. Each passing min is critical for saving heart and most importantly ,brain function and neural tissue.  He was resuscitated immediately with the critical factor being the defibrillator used so fast.  He was intubated quickly as well so oxygen delivery was recovered as quickly as could be expected. There is no exact way to tell from tv how long his oxygen levels dropped as basic cpr was being done.  He got the quickest care and resuscitation possible , now it will be a matter of time to determine if he sustained any cns (central nervous system ) Or brain injury in that time.

It’s a waiting game now to see how he responds once they begin taking him off sedating meds.  They are used to rest the brain so it requires less oxygen as they suppress its activity and to rest muscle tissue to lower oxygen requirements and prevent agitation on the ventilator.  They will eventually begin withdrawing the sedation to determine his responses like pupillary and other  reflexes, and ultimately to determine if his breathing center in the brain responds and he begins breathing on his own. Right now the ventilator delivers each breath at a determined interval so currently he is on life support. As meds are weaned hopefully his own breathing center takes over and he can be weaned from the ventilator.  So no way to exactly know prognosis right now. We can still hope for the best , but need time to assess how brain function was preserved. He may eventually  have neurologists involved helping with those decisions. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I just wanna say… As somebody who has lived the game of football their entire life

Damar Hamlin is bigger than the game of football

If the bills didn’t play another football game this entire season I would understand

This young man is bigger than our Super Bowl aspirations… and he is apart of Buffalo bills family 

prayers 🙏🙏

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

People paralyzed after a traumatic hit don’t usually get back up to their feet and then collapse . Again, catch up

When a head or neck injury is suspected a neck brace is used to make sure the head doesn’t move. Paralysis can occur later since just the slightest movement can worsen the injury. That being said this clearly was a heart issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Dam, has been a very agonizing night and heartbreaking. My heart goes out the Demar and his loved ones and to all his teammates and staff on both sidelines. Can’t imagine going through that and being that up close to it all. So devastating. But am glad to see the incredible outreach from this brotherhood of players and coaches and most definitely Bills Mafia and all nfl fans ! Prayers continue and stay strong3!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

The defibrillator is used to shock the heart back into a rhythmic beating , so it can effectively pump blood with oxygen to the brain, heart, and all organs.  It is only used when the heart is beating in a non life sustaining rhythm or if it already stopped as in asystole.  It does not stop the heart but synchronizes the electrical impulses so the heart chambers all contract as they do normally to be an effective pump.  The heart has two types of tissue, muscle and electrical conducting tissues., but simply put , it is a pump and had to contract in synchrony to work as a good pump.  Hope that helps

Helped me, and also helps explain how a how a perfectly timed blow to the heart with the heart chamber going in the opposite direction  might knock the heart out of rhythmic beating. Or even stop it IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s just it though, I’m not arguing his opinion.  I’m not even arguing any opinion.  He isn’t even arguing an opinion, he just shared a possible cause based on what was known at that time.

All I am saying is I don’t see the harm in medical experts sharing insights on possible explanations to what could have happened given the extreme circumstances and rarity of what we witnessed tonight.

All good

Dawg, you’re a Rabble-Rouser. Always rousing rabble. 😉

95A54D92-D1B8-4B18-B709-962F233D127D.jpeg

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Haha (+1) 1

Getting ready for work. Emotions flooding through me probably like most everyone here.

We need to rally. That’s who we are. Rally around Damar. Rally around his teammates and everyone in our organization. pick each other up here the best we can. Let people talk. Support each other. Not bicker. Maybe talk like we our face to face.

This is our team and one of our own. God bless Damar Hamlin, the Buffalo Bills and all of you guys and girls.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Best wishes to Damar and all associated with the Buffalo Bills - get well soon.

I just want to ask how did the WGR/Buffalo Bills Radio Network manage the unprecedented situation last night?

Did they offer rolling updates through the night?

Once the game was officially postponed, in the UK, we didn't see the Ryan Clark -SVP studio analysis but we did see Booger and his other two colleagues for a while (before the announcement).

I think certain players and coaches will need counselling/mental health support after witnessing the events last night literally first hand.

• Agree 1

We had a player on my soccer team collapse and die from a heart attack on the field in front of his family, team mates and fans. 

I’m not a religious man so hope all the prayers given by those who are work and Damar recovers and is able to live a good life again. 

Not again, please. 

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, quincy said:

I just want to ask how did the WGR/Buffalo Bills Radio Network manage the unprecedented situation last night?

Once the game was officially postponed, in the UK, we didn't see the Ryan Clark -SVP studio analysis but we did see Booger and his other two colleagues for a while (before the announcement).

I think certain players and coaches will need counselling/mental health support after witnessing the events last night literally first hand.

No. There were no updates made available by UC Hospital . WGR signed off on Bills coverage and went to a nationally syndicated sports talk show 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, quincy said:

A game being stopped and postponed (at least as of now) or a player going into cardiac arrest and needing CPR on the  field is unfortunately not unprecedented.  Maybe it was for the NFL specifically.

And as was mentioned, NO, WGR didn't do anything special after their post-game show signed off last night.

They did, obviously, talk almost exclusively abut the injury for the entirety of the post game show.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

9 minutes is a long time to be dead. Even if he pulls through it's a real possibility he would have long-term brain damage. 

He did get CPR as well as oxygen so his brain wasn’t without oxygen for nine minutes. His brain probably wasn’t without oxygen for very long at all. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its crazy how much trauma Buffalo sports fans had to endure over the years regarding player horrific injuries. From Kevin Everett, to Clint Malarchuk to Damar Hamlin. Good thing about it is those players ( Hamlin looks like he is going to be ok) that they were able to recover from their injuries and live productive lives. #PrayersforHamlin

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Its crazy how much trauma Buffalo sports fans had to endure over the years regarding player horrific injuries. From Kevin Everett, to Clint Malarchuk to Damar Hamlin. Good thing about it is those players ( Hamlin looks like he is going to be ok) that they were able to recover from their injuries and live productive lives. #PrayersforHamlin

Not our player, but Richard Zednik as well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

On an unimportant side note, this team has had to overcome so much adversity this year, you can’t help but think this is the year they win it all 

I’m almost positive no NFL team has ever had the amount of adversity that the Bills have had this year. All the injuries, the November storm, two games in Detroit in a week, Christmas storm, 3 nights in Chicago, and now Hamlin. I believe it’s unprecedented. If someone knows of a NFL team dealing with more in one season, please feel free to correct me. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.