Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

The problem is, I’m not convinced that the NFL made it. I am wondering if this was a case where the players were just refusing to come back out on the field

I'm sure the players made it clear to all around them that they wouldn't be playing tonight, but I'd need strong evidence to believe that there exists someone with the NFL who was urging them to do so. I've seen nothing even remotely hinting at this

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Life is more important than a kids game. 

I'd suggest that recent concussion research has started to make this no longer a kids game and that tonight's nightmare is going to move it even further. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I would be very happy if this is true…even SVP and the ESPN commentators were saying the 5 minute announcement was made though so I’m curious who that all is getting sourced from.  I admittedly can’t remember if they said they were seeing it from tweets or not though. 

Scott Van Pelt asked about that several times, but never got an answer.  He was assuming as that is what the broadcast stated.

The sidelined reporters said the Bills huddled up and Diggs gave a speech, but the coaches and the Refs were still in discussion.

Then word came to clear the field.

The timing suggests the players and the on field Refs discussed a restart with the coaches - the coaches talked and made sure the league was aware the players were not ready.

They cleared the field to allow time for the coaches to better get a feel and then the coaches and the league talked and came to a proper decision.

There should be no blame - The league got it right - they consulted with the coaches who said it was a no go and they suspended the game.

The league should make that decision in consultation with the teams and did just that.  The five minute thing was just standard post big injury timing.

Yes the league could have announced the suspension sooner, but it was obvious the Bills and Bengal players knew well before the announcement.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

People have been way to quick to criticize the league's handling of an unprecedented situation. In fact all of the NFL's preparedness and on-field protocols for a situation like this may have saved Hamlin's life tonight. I choose to focus on that, instead of how many minutes they waited to announce the game was postponed.

The medical response was absolutely without a doubt top notch and that is the only important thing at the end of the day.  

I have no interest in vilifying the nfl when I talk about what happened behind the scenes with the decision to suspend the game but if it was in fact a coaches decision I really want to see Zac Taylor and McDermott get their due.  

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, saundena said:

No.  If we lost / lose / forfeit to the Bengals, we could still end up with the number one seed if both the Chiefs and Bengals lose next week and we win.

I don't think you can fairly use win percentages in such a small sample size of games, letting the other 30 teams play 17 games and the Bills and Bengals 16.  Assuming the Chiefs and Bills all win next week, the Chiefs would have a higher win percentage than Buffalo 14-3 versus our assumed 13-3.  I suppose the league could also consider our head to head victory over the Chiefs since we didn't get a chance to play 17 games. 

In light of what happened, I think the simplest thing to do would be a coin flip to determine the "winner" of tonight's game (since it was likely to be a close game anyway) solely for playoff seeding.  In other words, the Bills and Bengals final regular season record will be based on 16 games, but playoff seeding will be based on the results of the coin flip.

All that said. Prayers to Hamlin.  We have a tough team and they are family to each other. Don't underestimate prayer and positive thoughts.  We will come out of this stronger, sometimes it just hard to see the forest through the trees. 

You are right, but I wasn't saying both teams losing would give us 2nd seed. I was saying we arent locked into 3rd seed and gave an example of how we can get 2nd seed. Even 1st seed would still be possible but improbable that both Cinci and KC lose.

Bills lose against Cinci then:

Week 18:

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 1st seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC win, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

You are right, but I wasn't saying both teams losing would give us 2nd seed. I was saying we arent locked into 3rd seed and gave an example of how we can get 2nd seed. Even 1st seed would still be possible but improbable that both Cinci and KC lose.

Week 18:

Ah ok gotcha!  No worries 

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

Look at the replay. He got hit in the throat / neck area not the chest. Not saying you are wrong but look at what he got hit. My explanation makes perfect sense based on the location of the hit. Rupture or clock the airway would allow the air in your lounge enough air for you to stand and move a big before you pass out. Then lack of more oxygen flow would give you cardiac arrest. So they would need to get you airflow first and then cpr. We’ll see what they say but the hit location was not the chest or you would think we would be seeing them all the time. 

I replayed it multiple times and it did not look like he got hit in the throat to me.  Also - when he stood up, he did not put his hands to his throat at all, which is what you would assume would be an instinctive reaction if you were hit there and couldn't breathe

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd suggest that recent concussion research has started to make this no longer a kids game and that tonight's nightmare is going to move it even further. 

The human brain is fully developed around age 24. Shouldn’t be banging heads at 12 and under. I’d recommend flag football at 12 and under and slowly build it up to tackle football at varsity level. Also need to consider protective gear and padding of helmets, body etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

His gofundme just went over $1.5 million. Given by over 62,800 donors. God I LOVE our fans!!!

I have a feeling that fans from other NFL cities are giving also.  I'm getting texts from all over the country sending thoughts and prayers.  Some of them not even football fans. It just shows me the level of concern and interest out there .  This story has received major publicity  across the media spectrum

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

Too soon for anyone to give "opinions" on what they saw.

Someone always has to try to be the first person to be right to get done cred.

He was simply giving out a plausible cause.  He was not making a definitive statement, and tons of doctors have echoed the same theory all over Twitter too and tons of comments from people who are in medical field all saying they felt this was very possible reason too.

So sorry, don’t really see the harm in shedding some light on something that is a legitimate possibility to what might have happened.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Week 18:

Surely there’s an option / outcome that the powers that be can look factoring in the head to head records of Cincy, KC and the Bills if they cannot continue the postponed game?  With uneven games played, and considering the only three teams in the mix for seeds 1-3 are KC, Buffalo and the Bengals, we play the last week and assuming all three teams win, take the final win % but then adjust for head to head for KC v Bengals and KC v Bengals to work out seedlings.  So in that example the fact the KC lost both head to head matches would mean they can’t be given the #1 seed. 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The problem is, I’m not convinced that the NFL made it. I am wondering if this was a case where the players were just refusing to come back out on the field

On what basis aren’t you convinced? Scott Van Pelt and CNN weren’t convinced either, but what does it matter? Perhaps the reflexive move was to re-start the game per SOP for prolonged stoppages, but upon further assessment and consult with the teams, they properly determined a delay/postponement was appropriate. And there were surely numerous levels of coordination throughout the process. And so what now? More virtue signaling? It’s far-fetched to assume the NFL was telling the players to play without regard to Hamlin’s condition.

So as a PSU alum/fanatic I remember Damar as a recruit in I think 2016. It’s James Franklin and Urban Meyer trying to pull this kid out of Pittsburgh. Both schools wanted him. But nah, Damar wanted to lift up his hometown. Just the kind of kid he was. He knew he would have had more big moments with OSU or PSU, but he just didn’t care about that as much as he cared about his city. You read nothing but great things about him too. You didn’t want him just because he was a stud safety, but because you knew he’d represent the program really well and he’d add big value to the locker room.

So glad he ended up with the Bills. Get better, and get back to that brotherhood and family, Damar.

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Can we please use a different thread to discuss playoff seeding and what not? I’m constantly refreshing hoping and praying to see positive news about Damar. 

There is not going to be any update tonight. The hospital and medical professionals have made that clear. He will be going through cardiac care which is 24-48 hours of tests. He is in induced coma where they will slowly take him off of sedation and see what happens. Those tests will not start until tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Uggh just when I started to believe it.  If Zac Taylor and McDermott stood up to the nfl wanting to resume the game I really think we deserve to know that. 

an announcer slipping up once not using the best words to describe something I could buy .

the evidence though likely points to the announcement being made or a series of really crazy coincidences…it was repeated by the announcers quite a few times and burrow was warming up and McDermott and Taylor had a long conversation before the players were pulled from the field 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was simply giving out a plausible cause.  He was not making a definitive statement, and tons of doctors have echoed the same theory all over Twitter too and tons of comments from people who are in medical field all saying they felt this was very possible reason too.

So sorry, don’t really see the harm in shedding some light on something that is a legitimate possibility to what might have happened.

Yea no one knows what happened other than he stopped breathing and they had to perform cpr. Seems like they have him stabilized and he is undergoing tests to try to establish possible damage and then take steps that may be needed.  When he awakens again they will have ability to access if he suffered any loss of memory, simple knowledge etc. And take the appropriate course of his rehab.  He may have little issue coming back from this while any of the players that witnessed it may be more impacted going forward.   

One thing I noticed watching the replay was when Hamlin went down - the only player to see it completely from standing to collapse was Dane Jackson - who immediately ran over to him while other players either missed the fall entirely or turned only after he hit the ground.  It was striking to see that it was Jackson - who is like a brother to Hamlin (grew up in same town and played at Pitt together) - who was the one person on the field to see it all and be the first one to his side.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Two Emergency Doctors are on CNN now. They both agreed that the most likely cause is Commotio Cordis. 

The lady ER Dr Renney is a Bills fan and was watching the game.  That is so crazy.

I take great hope in their observations for a good chance for recovery for Damar.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

There's some strong opinions on this one!

If he didn’t say ‘that’s the word we got from down on the field but nobody is moving’ I could’ve chalked it all up to aikman/buck just assuming the standard protocol was being followed and not even thought about it twice. 
that’s a really specific thing to say though.  

it was like everything changed after McDermott and Taylor talked.  If they were instructed to clear the field before that a lot of what the bengals player's were doing doesn’t make a lot of sense 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The lady ER Dr Renney is a Bills fan and was watching the game.  That is so crazy.

I take great hope in their observations for a good chance for recovery for Damar.

Imagine a Bills fan watching a Bills game... nutso!

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Uggh just when I started to believe it.  If Zac Taylor and McDermott stood up to the nfl wanting to resume the game I really think we deserve to know that. 

an announcer slipping up once not using the best words to describe something I could buy .

Again was Joe Buck getting his info directly from the NFL?

More likely Buck and Aikman were getting info from the Referee assigned to them who stated the standard SOP is a five minute warm up and play resumes.

People quoting Buck or Van Pelt as the NFL directed teams that the game would resume with a five minute break is stupid.  They were not in contact with the league.

Who was in contact with the league - it appears the Refs and the HC of each team and after their discussion the players were sent to the locker room.

Following additional discussion - the game was suspended pending further discussion.

I am not saying the NFL is 100% clear, but the decision to suspend a game needed league, both team, and NFLPA input and was not something that was decided in the time Hamlin was injured. Hence getting the players off and having time to discuss the entirety of the situation.

Again - in the end the correct decision was made and the five minute thing was announced by people covering the game with no input or discussion with the league.  It was based entirely on normal SOP for an abnormal situation.

Edit:

Honestly I believe Aikman and Buck had really no idea what to say and the 5 minute warmup was really them filling time as they couldn’t really talk about what was happening.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again was Joe Buck getting his info directly from the NFL?

More likely Buck and Aikman were getting info from the Referee assigned to them who stated the standard SOP is a five minute warm up and play resumes.

People quoting Buck or Van Pelt as the NFL directed teams that the game would resume with a five minute break is stupid.  They were not in contact with the league.

Who was in contact with the league - it appears the Refs and the HC of each team and after their discussion the players were sent to the locker room.

Following additional discussion - the game was suspended pending further discussion.

I am not saying the NFL is 100% clear, but the decision to suspend a game needed league, both team, and NFLPA input and was not something that was decided in the time Hamlin was injured. Hence getting the players off and having time to discuss the entirety of the situation.

Again - in the end the correct decision was made and the five minute thing was announced by people covering the game with no input or discussion with the league.  It was based entirely on normal SOP for an abnormal situation.

Are we to believe that nobody from the network covering the game was in contact with the league? Come on you don't believe that do you?

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, appoo said:

saved Damar’s life in the moment. I know it’s their job, but it’s not to be taken for granted.

they did wonderfully tonight

As did the doctor and team that saved Kevin Everett from permanent paralysis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.