Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

i’m gonna come out and say it. This charity giving is dumb. Do people here actually think Damar Hamlin has a staff handling his toys for kids charity? Who do these people think is handling this money?  While I don’t have a definitive answer,  it is most assuredly Damar himself who, quite frankly, is a little busy at the moment.

maybe people could just wait a hot second and let things settle down.

I also never give to player charities. They hire shady 3rd party PR firms to run their charities that skim off the top. There are news stories out about them. Some take 50-60% off the top. 

I know people like to give in times of need, but give smart. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

i’m gonna come out and say it. This charity giving is dumb. Do people here actually think Damar Hamlin has a staff handling his toys for kids charity? Who do these people think is handling this money?  While I don’t have a definitive answer,  it is most assuredly Damar himself who, quite frankly, is a little busy at the moment.

People react in different ways. The over-powering feeling is helplessness and wanting to do something. It was this emotion which led Diggs to find an Uber, travel to the hospital and sweet talk his way past security. Obviously, the majority cannot do this and want to show love and support - donating is a way of doing this. And it doesn’t matter when the money will be spent; the important thing is it eventually will be.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They aren't changing the whole NFL schedule for one game.  They likely had contingency plans from COVID for a team that could not play all its games. They will reference that and just play 16 games.  

Interesting.. So the only game next weekend would be the Bengals vs the Bills?  Am I understanding what you’re saying?  

3 minutes ago, NUT said:

He's probably a gambler.

However, if they can't reschedule, I think the only fair way to choose a winner is a coin toss. I know that may seem very unfair to the Bengals but I think forcing the Bills to take a loss is more unfair.

there’s no reason they have to choose a winner 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It’s one of the ways people are praying, putting resources into something Damar Hamlin cares about.  Maybe there’s an irrationality to it but it’s about emotion.  People have to put their emotions somewhere.  Who cares about how the money is processed right now?

The money will do good in a way that Damar Hamlin wanted.  I can't think of a more rational act.

• Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Agreed. I fully understand people wanting to do something tangible to express their concern. That's human nature, and I'm glad it is. But Hamlin and his family may have some big needs of their own in the upcoming days/months/years. It might be best to wait a bit and see if we can help in a way more specific to his situation rather than his charity. I don't know his family's financial situation, but he's a second year player who I think spend time on the practice squad last year. That won't make you financially secure, even if healthy. So again ... I appreciate the intention, but I'm not jumping on the charity website - I'll keep paying attention to whether there's other monetary ways people can help as we get more information on the situation.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

$1.1M and counting will help pay for a staff, don’t worry.  Maybe you could wait a hot second and settle down.

He’s got an agent and friends as well. It’ll be fine.  

meanwhile, when Damar sees those donations, he’ll know that a lot of people were supporting him during his time of need, and hopefully take strength from that. 

Beauty begets beauty 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

I also never give to player charities. They hire shady 3rd party PR firms to run their charities that skim off the top. There are news stories out about them. Some take 50-60% off the top. 

I know people like to give in times of need, but give smart. 

Wow you guys are embarrassing. Ripping people for emotionally trying to do something useful. Yikes 😳 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Your reading skills are to be commended. 🙄

Do you know if anyone is actually able to receive this money? If people want to express their concern and it had to be done this very minute there are countless places to donate money where their ability to handle such influx is known.

This occurred to me so I bought a Hamlin jersey.

But also gave his charity $30, it’s not a huge deal.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This isn't the thread for this IMO, but the NFL gave them 5 minutes to get back on the field. It was Zac Taylor coming over to to talk to Sean. The NFL then said said temporarily suspended until further notice....don't stick up for the NFL

you’re right, this is not the tread for this.  Perhaps you should have not have started the discussion by bashing people (it is people making the call at the NFL).  Everyone is trying to do their best in this situation which was my point (the people at the league lacked the context of those on the field), it’s a shame some feel the need to try to get angry at others.   

Edited by RyanC883

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Do you know if anyone is actually able to receive this money? If people want to express their concern and it had to be done this very minute there are countless places to donate money where their ability to handle such influx is known.

Do you want to go read Go Fund Me's terms of service? Their Qs+As?

Maybe that would be better than calling it stupid here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Playoffs? said:

Interesting.. So the only game next weekend would be the Bengals vs the Bills?  Am I understanding what you’re saying?  

I'm saying we do it like my rec kickball league. Move it to the last game. We play the Bengals the weekend after the super bowl 

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already.  I wish I had DVR'd the game, but I swear, when Taron Johnson went down to injury (a dirty head blow by Hayden Hurst in my opinion, shocked that they didn't at least look at it) for some reason, when Joe Buck said that Hamlin was coming in, they briefly showed him coming off the sideline, putting his helmet on...he looked uncomfortable to me then. At the time, I just thought it was perhaps concern for Johnson..or knowing that he has become sort of a fan whipping boy over the last 6 weeks or so....I didn't think it was that unusual...but I noticed it immediately.  It's not the kind of thing I would normally notice, it was just a brief shot.  Maybe it was nothing.Did anyone else see this?

I felt that he looked out of sorts on that long reception to Hurst on the first drive. a weird mistake we usually don’t see him make— was just sort of lost out there. I don’t know though— maybe unrelated.

5 minutes ago, NUT said:

He's probably a gambler.

However, if they can't reschedule, I think the only fair way to choose a winner is a coin toss. I know that may seem very unfair to the Bengals but I think forcing the Bills to take a loss is more unfair.

Apologies for the facetiousness but with our record on coin tosses, the Bengals would probably win it anyway.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is this really an appropriate time for an argument? Come on man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Mango said:

This occurred to me so I bought a Hamlin jersey.

But also gave his charity $30, it’s not a huge deal.

The $30 will go to his annual fundraiser. I believe the jersey money goes to the NFL/Bills.

Unless they also decide to donate a portion of jersey sales.

Edited by LeGOATski

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

your right, this is not the tread for this.  Perhaps you should have not started the discussion and tried to bash people working at a job in the NFL that you don’t know.  Everyone is trying to do their best in this situation which was my point, it’s a shame some feel the need to try to get angry at others.   

This thread is about Damar - keep it to him

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the low moral character coaches we have to put up with from the other teams in the AFC East, I will forever remember the absolute class displayed by both Sean McDermott and Zac Taylor under unbelievably devastating circumstances.

Unbelievably high moral character shown by both of those guys.

What a gut-wrenching night.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I'm saying we do it like my rec kickball league. Move it to the last game. We play the Bengals the weekend after the super bowl 

They push the probowl out and play the game the weekend the week after the last game of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thank you but you're not understanding my thoughts.

Based on the discussion here with the Scott and Simon, I think I'm going to wait to see if a fund is established for Damar. It's quite possible one will be established.

Be generous, give to both.  

6 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Siran Neal came in for Johnson.

Siran always gets torched whenever he’s on the field. You’d think with a first round CB on the bench, the Bills would’ve found a way to get Elam out there when Johnson went out. If none of White, Jackson, or Elam have the versatility to move inside to nickel, then shame on the coaches for not cross training.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Really worried. Seeing on Twitter that there really hasn’t been any positive updates even though a “friend” tweeted something out.  

From responses made by MDs based on the friend/agent tweet, there won’t be any further updates for at least a day. He’s in a medically induced coma and they are now following standard protocol for bringing him back round from it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.