Josh Allen - Nicknames?

MJS

Pro Football Reference is a great website for looking up stats on players and teams. They also keep track of nicknames for the players, which they list in parentheses right after their real name (I have no idea what sources they use).

For instance, Patrick Mahomes has the following nicknames associated with him: Grim Reaper, Showtime, Magic Man, The Musician, Fatrick, The Gunslinger, or Mahomeboy.

For Ryan Fitzpatrick they list "Amish Rifle" and "Fitzmagic".

Here is Tom Brady's nicknames: TB12, Tom Terrific, Touchdown Tom, GOAT, The Pharaoh, Comeback Kid, or Sir.

For Josh Allen they only list one, and it's not one I even see being used anywhere: "General"

I see people use others like The Unicorn, JA17, and even The Winter Soldier has been thrown around a few times. Where did they get "General" from? Does that stem from college or something?

I found this reddit poll, which was interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/scf6j0/josh_allens_nickname/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Edited by MJS

No manufactured Nick names, if it happens it must be organic 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

we were watching a game a year or two ago and Josh took off running. my stepson who was maybe 6 at the time goes "josh is a really fast critter." he said this with full twang country (which is odd because he has no twang in his regular voice). where that came from, learning the term critter and all - i can only guess.

ever since then we just call him the fast critter.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pro Football Reference is a great website for looking up stats on players and teams. They also keep track of nicknames for the players, which they list in parentheses right after their real name (I have no idea what sources they use).

For instance, Patrick Mahomes has the following nicknames associated with him: Grim Reaper, Showtime, Magic Man, The Musician, Fatrick, The Gunslinger, or Mahomeboy.

Here is Tom Brady's nicknames: TB12, Tom Terrific, Touchdown Tom, GOAT, The Pharaoh, Comeback Kid, or Sir.

For Josh Allen they only list one, and it's not one I even see being used anywhere: "General"

I see people use others like The Unicorn, JA17, and even The Winter Soldier has been thrown around a few times. Where did they get "General" from? Does that stem from college or something?

I found this reddit poll, which was interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/scf6j0/josh_allens_nickname/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

There is only one Tom Terrific and that is Mr. Tom Seaver, goddammit!!!

The only other name I've heard Josh called besides General is Alien.  But I think that's more of a description than a nickname.

He'll always be Josh or Joshy to me.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I believe the Winter Soldier started with the NFL youtube account and it’s perfect considering his right arm is not human and y’know, everyone thinks Buffalo is all year winter

https://youtu.be/Cn3lx2KWIlk

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No manufactured Nick names, if it happens it must be organic 

I'm not proposing us manufacturing any. I was more curious where "General" came from and what others people are hearing.

I like Mandalorian…really who he reminds me of…however I can get why it isn’t the best nickname.

I like the one namers….GOATS don’t really go by nicknames for the most part. Even the MJ nick name was Air Jordan…who really calls him that? 

My vote would be “Josh”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I've always been surprised by General on that site too.  I've heard Winter Soilder, JA17, The Firebaugh Kid, the Mandalorian, The King in the Fourth and most recently the Freak from Firebaugh from Mark Sanchez.

I am partial to the King in the Fourth for obvious reasons.

Winter Soldier is pretty awesome. I forgot about the Mandalorian. Freak from Firebaugh is interesting.

5 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I believe the Winter Soldier started with the NFL youtube account and it’s perfect considering his right arm is not human and y’know, everyone thinks Buffalo is all year winter

https://youtu.be/Cn3lx2KWIlk

Only problem is the winter soldier has a mechanical left arm.

I'm still a fan of the mandalorian nickname but would never actually call him that.

I would likely call him the winter soldier first but he does look good as Mando.

Esq-3zQXMAAXNEb.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

I like Mandalorian…really who he reminds me of…however I can get why it isn’t the best nickname.

I like the one namers….GOATS don’t really go by nicknames for the most part. Even the MJ nick name was Air Jordan…who really calls him that? 

My vote would be “Josh”

I'm less interested in voting and more interested in what has organically been happening. For instance, I see people use "JA17" all the time. I think that came into existence organically, similar to TB12 for Tom Brady.

I usually just say "Josh Allen" myself, but I also find myself saying "Joshy Boy" for some reason, sometimes.

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I've always been surprised by General on that site too.  I've heard Winter Soilder, JA17, The Firebaugh Kid, the Mandalorian, The King in the Fourth and most recently the Freak from Firebaugh from Mark Sanchez.

I am partial to the King in the Fourth for obvious reasons.

I like the Mandalorian!! Rich Eisen was the first person I heard use it on air. I thought of it when watching the series because of their stature

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm not proposing us manufacturing any. I was more curious where "General" came from and what others people are hearing.

Not fond of non military folk with that sort of nickname, not warranted, if Josh ever gets a nickname that sticks it should be something that agrees with his personality,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Only problem is the winter soldier has a mechanical left arm.

I'm still a fan of the mandalorian nickname but would never actually call him that.

I would likely call him the winter soldier first but he does look good as Mando.

Esq-3zQXMAAXNEb.jpg

Whichever one came with that monologue from Rich Eisen talking about him coming for your souls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.