Why do some Bills fans refuse to have confidence in this team?

BillsFan619

The gameday thread is not a serious thread I know I don't always treat it as a place for considered nuanced views and I am sure others don't either. So you can ignore that one. 

Otherwise the answer to your question is simple, some people talk down expectation as a defense mechanism so that if it doesn't happen (the Bills don't win the Superbowl) they hope the loss will feel less painful. It's a technique sports fans have used down the generations. Nothing new about it or unique to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Most people on this board are fanatics and tend to think like coaches.  They see all the possible things that could go wrong even though we're heavy favorites.  The casual Bills who can name maybe half of the starters (let alone the 53 man roster) are just expecting a blowout this Sunday.  Ignorance is bliss is a better way of putting it.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I honestly do not understand why this is even a topic. Doesn't everyone have the right to feel how they wish to feel? who are we as fans to tell another fan how to feel. Maybe they feel they have been bitten one to many times?

SMH

Yes. 100% this. There has always been a bit of a sense of a need to police fandom on this site. There are various forms of fandom, none more "valid" than the other. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

no serious fans are doing this and White is obviously making a forced, bad joke. Which is understandable from his point of view since he’s in the position of taking calls from Bills “fans” that call in at 7:00am drunk and spewing this nonsense.

Have you not seen Einstein and RunJoshRun post?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I honestly do not understand why this is even a topic. Doesn't everyone have the right to feel how they wish to feel? who are we as fans to tell another fan how to feel. Maybe they feel they have been bitten one to many times?

SMH

Because the overly negative people tend to spam threads encouraging negativity in other people. In short, they're killjoys.

If they're sooooo worked about it, maybe keep it to themselves.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's BBFS (battered Buffalo Bills fan syndrome)

We're afraid to hope lest our hopes, once again, get trompled upon

This. I've been a fan since 1972. It's been a rollercoaster ride and the drops have been steep.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not buying any of this.

If you think Bills fans are not confident then check the weekly  prediction threads. 

Nice little post but the predictions say the opposite. 

Next thread should be,  WHY ARE BILLS FANS OVERCONFIDENT ?

Edited by HOUSE

Just look back to the Jacksonville game last year…..  obviously we know we are the better team, but that means nothing.

They have some studs on both sides of the ball…. Much more talented than Jacksonville last year.

With Green Bay, they are backed into a corner right now, that’s the point fans are making.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's BBFS (battered Buffalo Bills fan syndrome)

We're afraid to hope lest our hopes, once again, get trompled upon

To some degree.  I think some people are just miserable and want to drag other people into their misery. Some others love the role of contrarian because that way, if the worst happens, they can say they were right.  As for me, I have been a fan of the Bills for 60 years.  This is easily the best team and the best organization I have seen in all that time. They have not been perfect and I do not expect perfection in the future, but what they have already accomplished, and what they are capable of accomplishing, is very exciting.

It may not work out the way we want. There are no guarantees and anything can happen, but I intend to enjoy this ride, however long it lasts and however it ends.  That is after all what we boarded this Bills train for.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, teef said:

Everyone in this thread is correct. 

Haha I was literally about to post something similar.  Everybody has their own story of why they feel as they do.  Up until midway through the 2020 season I had BBFS big time.  Now it’s gone.  I don’t “worry” about any game because I know what our opponents are doing — worrying about us.  I have faith in the front office, the coaching, and above all else, 17.

Bad bounces are going to happen.  Injuries are going to happen.  We will probably lose a game we shouldn’t (well, we already have, but I left that Miami game completely unconcerned).  But the Bills are a juggernaut, make no mistake.

Nobody in the Buffalo locker room is “underestimating” Aaron freaking Rodgers.  Fans underestimate teams, but players and coaches rarely do.  They know the fine line between winning and losing.

What I typically do now is I stay out of the “worry” threads, unless it is to throw a joke in there.

We are just at the beginning of a wonderful era for Bills football, and I’m enjoying all of it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

I’ve been holding off on this post for a couple days but this facetious Twitter post got me off the fence. I know it’s hard to tell tone in a post so please know this isn’t an angry or demeaning rant, it’s more of a curious rant.

Why do some fans choose not to have confidence in this team?

We’re the best team in the league and there’s still posts about “remember the Jags game”, “any given Sunday”, “this will be the game this team gets out of their  slump”, “we don’t have tape on this rookie QB so he could torch us”, etc., etc., etc.

Or, there may be posts that pick out one strength from the opposing team or one weakness from us and they’re worried about that instead of choosing to be confident in the nine strengths we do have going into that game.

I’ll only mention this one thing about the game day posts because many times that’s when the worst comes out. There’s posts on there where we’ll have a rough start or a stalled drive or two and people are calling for the coaches’ heads.

I think most fans get that we’re not gonna win every game and that the jags game or any given Sunday game could happen once or possibly twice a year. Why not go into some games (I say some games because I get being nervous going into a game like the Chiefs, Ravens or another good team but against teams like the Steelers, Jets or another middling team?) confident and then if there is an “any given Sunday” or “Jags game” outcome then just chalk it up as such. We’re at a level where we can enjoy this team without having to worry about every negative, weakness or game.

We get critique but calling for the coach’s head when he’s the winningest coach in our history?

-We’re the best team in football (we know there may be a game or two where it’s any given Sunday)

-Someone in another post mentioned this already but we’ve beaten the #2 seed, #3 seed and #4 in our conference

-JA is one of the best, if not the best, QBs in the league right now

-We have the #1 defense and a top-three offense

-Our point differential is the highest in the league and the next team isn’t even close

-The average points we’ve beaten the Rams, the Titans, the Ravens and the Chiefs by is 15 points

-We’ve blown people out and have won close games

-We’re the #1 seed in the AFC, and again, the best team in football

What more do you need to be confident going into games? If you’re one of these fans, I’d love to hear from you. Do you just find something to be nervous about, do you just not have enough confidence in this team, are you just trolling or…?

I’d love to hear from a lot of Bills Mafia as well. Curious rant over.

Go Bills!

If you have been a fan as long as I have (the mid 1970's) then you would know why many Bills like myself have that "Charlie Brown trying to kick the football from Lucy" moment with this team. I think this will be the year. It is looking good but until they actually win one there will always be some doubt for many Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Anyone who is not nervous must be new here...

Welcome! Please research the 4 Falls of Buffalo, the Music City Miracle, skate in the crease, and 13 seconds, among others.

Surgeon general's warning: being a Bills fan is bad for your health.

Spot on.  I'm pretty confident the Bills are going to win handily against the Packers Sunday night and I'll go one step further and say this 2022 version of the Bills will win the Super Bowl and end up being regarded as the best Bills roster of all time.  Better than the 1990's SB era teams of Kelly, Smith, and Thomas.  But after so many game ending disappointments and impossible disasters and just 1 in a million type things, I still have that little voice in my head warning me not to get too confident.  Its going to take a couple more good seasons and some therapy sessions to finally get over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. 100% this. There has always been a bit of a sense of a need to police fandom on this site. There are various forms of fandom, none more "valid" than the other. 

Awesome. 

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Because the overly negative people tend to spam threads encouraging negativity in other people. In short, they're killjoys.

If they're sooooo worked about it, maybe keep it to themselves.

Who cares? who made it your job to deal with Negative Nancy's, Karen's and Darren's of this board? Let them be negative and get 20 pukes, eye rolls, laughs and so on making their post look as bad as it is. This is how we police ourselves. The community does it automatically 

BUT

I would like to also quote how Gunner put this so perfectly in the quote above. "There are various forms of fandom, none more Valid than the other"

I will list.

You have the fans that no matter the team in front of you will be positive. 

You have long time fans that got bit way to often and need time or proof of point to become more and more of a believer (and there is nothing wrong with this)

You have your " sunny day fan that just come on when the team does well"

You have your all-day fan that is on these forums complaining when we are good or bad.

The Die Hard Fan

The Fan that has only missed maybe 10 games in their adult life.

Everyone has the right to express themselves how they wish. On some points they may get laughed off the board, but it is their right unless it's obvious troll.

In short? I will say one problem we have on these boards at times... People have to learn to just drop it and "Agree to disagree". Put your point out and if they do not get it oh well. We have posters on these boards, no matter how right or wrong they are they will fight you to the death lol. Until I experienced a life changing event even I was and still am to a small extent. Its our right to express with respect.

and if people can't handle the bolded, then they need to get over themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its like if your girlfriend or wife (or other), cooked crappy meals, cheated on you a lot, but you can’t leave her because you believe in marriage or don’t want to be alone. That’s like being a Bills fan.

honestly for the last 2 years, I have zero worries. These are the best teams since the Super Bowl. I am extremely confident in them. Now if you ask me what are the odds the Bills losing the SB on a last second Hail Mary, I’d say it’s pretty high. But I’m very confident we’ll get there!

• Like (+1) 1

Eh, count me in as someone who respects the opponents.   

A couple friends of mine, who are older like me,,, still blab on and on... "we're gonna beat Green Bay by 30" or "Miami sucks, Bills will destroy the Fins"...and then we go on to lose, lol.

I mean, get excited and have confidence but c'mon, too many people think this is like College football and Buffalo is Alabama. 

It's just not like that in the NFL.  These are pro football players.  Any given day...turnovers, penalties, bad red zone play,...it could all sink the Bills on any given day.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Losing a playoff game with 13 seconds left will have a lifelong impact on some people's confidence.

100% agree as it is their respectful right. Some will reply to this post and say well "they need to get over it blah blah blah" This was of my opinion till we proved that we can beat the team with a minute left. Look at what KC did to us with 16 seconds left to tie a game. KC has a rabbit foot in their pockets and a horseshoe up ther ....

we have the right to express with respect. 

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Eh, count me in as someone who respects the opponents.   

A couple friends of mine, who are older like me,,, still blab on and on... "we're gonna beat Green Bay by 30" or "Miami sucks, Bills will destroy the Fins"...and then we go on to lose, lol.

I mean, get excited and have confidence but c'mon, too many people think this is like College football and Buffalo is Alabama. 

It's just not like that in the NFL.  These are pro football players.  Any given day...turnovers, penalties, bad red zone play,...it could all sink the Bills on any given day.

I do agree some bills have gotten pretty cocky and ahead of ourselves. That said, top to bottom, we are the best team in the nfl. However, it takes one injury (knock on wood) or a freak play to change things. But if everyone is healthy (which I hope for), it will be extremely difficult for us to lose.

A couple of my friends who i've watched games with are just miserable the entire time.  Zack moss has a 1 yard carry and they lose it for 10 minutes - "Terrible playcalling" "Moss is terrible" "the line sucks" "were going to lose this game".  By the time hes done he doesn't realize were all high fiving because we scored.  I get it to an extent?  But i have to be like, they are trying to get another guy going at RB be it cook or moss - they'd like DS to be healthy and 100% for playoffs.  

I was sitting in front of a guy who was complaining about allen the entire time - during a blowout win against pittsburgh.  My buddy literally said "do you even like this team? why are you here?".

• Like (+1) 1

Have you ever been FAT?  If you once were, you probably still see yourself as overweight.

Did you cheer on the Bills in the 70's?  Then you probably see your team as perennial losers and worry that any good fortune can end at any moment.

None of this means they don't enjoy being healthier or winning more often - it just means they are nervous about it ending!!

13 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

I’ve been holding off on this post for a couple days but this facetious Twitter post got me off the fence. I know it’s hard to tell tone in a post so please know this isn’t an angry or demeaning rant, it’s more of a curious rant.

Why do some fans choose not to have confidence in this team?

We’re the best team in the league and there’s still posts about “remember the Jags game”, “any given Sunday”, “this will be the game this team gets out of their  slump”, “we don’t have tape on this rookie QB so he could torch us”, etc., etc., etc.

Or, there may be posts that pick out one strength from the opposing team or one weakness from us and they’re worried about that instead of choosing to be confident in the nine strengths we do have going into that game.

I’ll only mention this one thing about the game day posts because many times that’s when the worst comes out. There’s posts on there where we’ll have a rough start or a stalled drive or two and people are calling for the coaches’ heads.

I think most fans get that we’re not gonna win every game and that the jags game or any given Sunday game could happen once or possibly twice a year. Why not go into some games (I say some games because I get being nervous going into a game like the Chiefs, Ravens or another good team but against teams like the Steelers, Jets or another middling team?) confident and then if there is an “any given Sunday” or “Jags game” outcome then just chalk it up as such. We’re at a level where we can enjoy this team without having to worry about every negative, weakness or game.

We get critique but calling for the coach’s head when he’s the winningest coach in our history?

-We’re the best team in football (we know there may be a game or two where it’s any given Sunday)

-Someone in another post mentioned this already but we’ve beaten the #2 seed, #3 seed and #4 in our conference

-JA is one of the best, if not the best, QBs in the league right now

-We have the #1 defense and a top-three offense

-Our point differential is the highest in the league and the next team isn’t even close

-The average points we’ve beaten the Rams, the Titans, the Ravens and the Chiefs by is 15 points

-We’ve blown people out and have won close games

-We’re the #1 seed in the AFC, and again, the best team in football

What more do you need to be confident going into games? If you’re one of these fans, I’d love to hear from you. Do you just find something to be nervous about, do you just not have enough confidence in this team, are you just trolling or…?

I’d love to hear from a lot of Bills Mafia as well. Curious rant over.

Go Bills!

Hmm well I do have confidence that they are a SB caliber team. That doesn’t mean I think they will win every game. I think they will probably lose on Sunday. It’s a bad matchup imo. It doesn’t mean anything as it relates to the outcome of their season. Or the jags last year, or anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

Other than being a failure to varying degrees of heart-breaking catastrophe, the team hasn't proven anything. Getting buy-in from older fans requires more than a few regular season blowouts. That being said, most fans have confidence...albeit the cautious and balanced kind.

Because Bills fans have been burned for so long. If you completely buy in, it will be that much more disappointing if the Bills fail.

That's why fans are ready to jump ship at the very first signs of things going bad. You see it in the game day threads. Allen throws an incompletion and fans become convinced Josh is having and off day and the offense is going to play badly. The defense gives up a single first down and fans claim the defense is playing badly. They are waiting for any sign that they should jump ship and avoid more disappointment.

Only winning a superbowl is going to really change that. Even then, at the end of Allen's career, fans will be convinced that the Bills will be going into another 17 year drought.

It's not a big deal, really. But the swinging pendulum of minute-by-minute reactions can be annoying, sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

Gee I wonder....

Zero championships since the merger

Four consecutive Super Bowl losses, three in embarrassing fashion

17 year playoff draught thrown in for good measure

Wide right

13 seconds

How's that for a start?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

Losing a playoff game with 13 seconds left will have a lifelong impact on some people's confidence.

Also add wide right, MCM, 1980 playoff game when Fouts threw a 50-yard TD with about 2 minutes left to give the Chargers a 20-14 win. Even the Bills playoff win over the Jets in 1981 ended up being nervous time. The Bills had a 31-13 lead with about 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Of course, the Jets cut it to 31-27 and then Bill Simpson has to save the day with an interception at the goal line in the final 10 seconds to preserve the win. To many nervous moments with this team over the years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.