Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If these are all lies, Araiza needs to publicly come out and explain what did or didn’t happen like immediately.  Gang rape and minor and NFL player.  The story is taking on a life if it’s own.  He needs to defend himself in media immediately.  

You don’t “defend yourself in the media” if there is a criminal investigation. That could go really bad. But, you’re not concerned about that. You only want to continue trying this in the media. Much more fun on social media than a court of law, right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If these are all lies, Araiza needs to publicly come out and explain what did or didn’t happen like immediately.  Gang rape and minor and NFL player.  The story is taking on a life if it’s own.  He needs to defend himself in media immediately.  

He needs to listen to his legal counsel and not the demands of outraged fans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

He admitted to having sex with her. She was 17. That is all the Bills need to know. Cut him.  He may not have raped her, she may be a crazy person, but this is not the Duke lacrosse team situation.

Hopefully it all works out for him. If it does Cleveland will find a spot for him. 

Did he know she was 17? Did she tell him she was 18 or in College? Does that change your point? I’ve seen conflicting information. I’m guessing Brandon Beene knows more about it than we do. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He can't.  Because no lawyer would let him. 

Which is good - let the public reach a verdict first.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am hoping that some evidence is presented that backs up the accusation, if it is true. I don't believe the SDPD just sat on the case due to the fact that he was a football player but whatever investigation has been done I would like to see the evidence. I highly doubt he sees any criminal liability, but if he is guilty I hope he does not play for us, and if he is innocent I hope this dies quickly. I don't know what evidence the police can share with the public because it is a very serious accusation.

Do you honestly see this occuring over the "next couple of days"?  Even if the DA files charges, they are not going to reveal their evidence in the next couple of days.

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

He admitted to having sex with her. She was 17. That is all the Bills need to know. Cut him.  He may not have raped her, she may be a crazy person, but this is not the Duke lacrosse team situation.

Hopefully it all works out for him. If it does Cleveland will find a spot for him. 

How many times can you post the same thing? Where did he admit he had sex with her? The only place I have seen it mentioned is from the phone calls, which are only bits and pieces of the conversation. Those are not fact at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The Pegulas have a daughter on the professional women's tennis tour. And a couple other daughters. Terry Pegula is not going to allow this guy to remain on the team.  

Pretty confident Pegula would get rid of him based on the statutory rape claim alone. The guy admitted to having sex with her. He can't survive that even if it was consensual. I am not sure how the guy gets around the 17yr old girl issue even if everything else is false.

That’s not necessarily true as California has a “mistake of facts” defense which allows defendants to present evidence that there was “a reasonable and actual belief” that the victim was 18 or older.

5 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

So glad that this issue inspired you to join the forum 6 hours ago..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Well, for one, we can hear the accounts of other people who were at the party.

Again, this isn't just speculation, like "Well, I don't know, maybe another accuser or a mystery witness will come forward."  We know with 100% certainty that there were other people there, some of whom were friends with the plaintiff.  I would like to hear from them before making any decisions.

I think we've reached the point where I should note that I can tell you exactly what would convince me that Araiza should be released: corroborating testimony from one or more witnesses.  What could happen that would convince you that Araiza should stay, and why are you so eager to make a snap decision now instead of waiting to see if that comes to pass?

The Buffalo Bills in their own statement stated that the have conducted (PAST TENSE) an investigation. Are you suggesting that in the next 2-5 days the team re-open it's investigation and attempt to contact additional people pertinent to the case? Because that begs for some follow ups, namely:

Why would the team state publicly that they did a thorough investigation only to re-open an investiation?

Also, while your burdeon of proof seems to be simply witness testimony, I feel that even that is pretty light. Some people here are suggesting that the team needs to wait for the DA to indict or not. Some are claiming the team needs to wait for the civil suit to be conducted (settlement or otherwise).

Basically what I am getting at is -- unfortunately for this punter if he is later found to be innocent -- it's in the best interest for the team to simply move on. There are so many factors at play, but essentially this allegation is too difficult for such a public facing corporation to simply wait out. It's just ugly and the brownie points of moving away from an alleged rapist are too important for the team to ignore.

We can argue ethically what the team should do (stand by the player or not) forever. It's just that I took specific note of you claiming "a few days" because I do think this isn't as rushed a decision as you're assuming.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Ariza on NBC news now…. Ugh

The losers at NBC lied about the Duke lacrosse case. This case actually has some merit. Even if it didn't NBC would still lie. Remember the awful people at NBC covered for Weinstein and Lauer. NBC is worse news out there. Apparently everyone including the fake crying clown Savannah Guthrie helped cover for Lauer and Weinstein. My friend interned there. He claimed everyone there is a cocaine and booze fiend. That is not exactly unusual in corporate news world.

Edited by Bills2022
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

thats why I think there’s more to this story we haven’t heard. McD called him a good kid just this past week, I can’t imagine he’d say that if he thought the guy gang raped someone but who knows who had what information and when throughout this thing. We’ll see I guess. 

I doubt McD did a lot of research into it by which I mean he trusts the info he is getting from others, the article said the bills investigated it thoroughly but also said there she reported it the day after and has a ton of evidence, so it looks to me like whoever the Bills put in charge of investigating this situation seriously dropped the ball unless all her evidence/claims turn out bogus.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JD333 said:

This guy criticizing another lawyer’s professionalism after being a total clown on Twitter is hilarious. 

I literally do not care if Araiza is cut immediately. He’s a punter on a team that punts the least in the league. I certainly hope the allegations are false for everyone’s sake but I won’t lose any sleep for dumping this kid just to avoid anymore scrutiny.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The guy admitted to having sex with her. He can't survive that even if it was consensual. I am not sure how the guy gets around the 17yr old girl issue even if everything else is false.

1) There is a mistaken age defense. If he reasonably believed she was 18 or older that is a mitigating factor.

2) In most states, including New York, 17 is the age of consent. One state's version of statutory rape is not a cuttable offense in the NFL.

The mere act of him having sex with her will not and should not cost him his career. If it turns out he had anything to do with the gang rape, or even knew it was going on, his career is over.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Funny, that seems very close to what the poster to whom I was responding was saying:

"I take MASSIVE ethical/moral issues with your #1.  It should not be so easy to turn someone's life upside down on a whim, just because you can afford the consequences without regard to the human life you are destroying.  Only highly paid QBs and the like deserve fundamental rights and respect now?"

Now mind you, the Constitution wasn't mentioned, but moral and ethical issues, respect, and "fundamental rights" were - which kinda seem bigger then just our constitutution

I hate to tell you, but you should know, one “oh crap moment” can erase a thousand thattaboys, but it’s the truth. Henry Ruggs, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, etc.

As far as defamation goes, you should get sued for that if you do cause damages.

Ariaza not playing today is a 100% tell that he will be jettisoned in less than 24 hours max.  The Bills are not going to fight this battle in the court of public opinion for him, a 6th round rookie punter.

An experienced, NFL caliber punter (and holder!) will be signed from the coming roster cut down.  McD and Beane will rightfully have to answer some tough questions for a few days given their weak statement on the matter thus far, and then it'll be on to Los Angeles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, fridge said:

The Buffalo Bills in their own statement stated that the have conducted (PAST TENSE) an investigation. Are you suggesting that in the next 2-5 days the team re-open it's investigation and attempt to contact additional people pertinent to the case?

My personal guess (it's just a guess) is that the Bills have already spoken with other people who were there.  I assume any competent PI would do that as his or her first or second order of business.  In other words, I think this is probably information that the Bills already have.

Also, while your burdeon of proof seems to be simply witness testimony, I feel that even that is pretty light. Some people here are suggesting that the team needs to wait for the DA to indict or not. Some are claiming the team needs to wait for the civil suit to be conducted (settlement or otherwise).

To be clear, that is not my position.  My personal burden of proof for things like this in an employment contest is something like "clear and convincing evidence," not "beyond a reasonable doubt."  I can imagine a scenario in which Araiza is found not guilty by a jury and I'd still want him cut anyway.  Maybe not the most likely scenario, but it's plausible.

1 minute ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

Ariaza not playing today is a 100% tell that he will be jettisoned in less than 24 hours max.  The Bills are not going to fight this battle in the court of public opinion for him, a 6th round rookie punter.

An experienced, NFL caliber punter (and holder!) will be signed from the coming roster cut down.  McD and Beane will rightfully have to answer some tough questions for a few days given their weak statement on the matter thus far, and then it'll be on to Los Angeles.

Given that the alleged incident occured Pre-Draft, he can't be placed on the NFL Exempt list. And to release him now before the case plays out will presume guilt and hinder his case - which could open the Bills to lawsuits themselves.

We're kind of stuck. Maybe they can place him on some sort of Team Leave until the process plays out. Maybe they can release him and specifically state it's only for not making them aware of the issue Pre-Draft. But it's tricky.

It's not as cut and dry to simply release him as many are suggesting.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I hate to tell you, but you should know, one “oh crap moment” can erase a thousand thattaboys, but it’s the truth. Henry Ruggs, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, etc.

As far as defamation goes, you should get sued for that if you do cause damages.

Ruggs was an "oh crap" moment that killed someone, brought on by a serious lack of judgement. The only "oh crap" moment that Cosby and R.Kelly had was when they got caught. It would be interesting to know which moment this most closely resembles....

Dont think there are any winners here... not gonna say much... young woman was hurt horribly, but Araiza is screwed either way, and the Bills least of all are gonna lose a punter and look bad in public opinion. So be it... they need to get out til the dust settles and legal stuff runs its course.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

I agree. They were going to boot Hack regardless of the situation. Doubt anyone will notice the difference.

7 minutes ago, JD333 said:

As I've stated earlier in this thread -- the focus I have on this issue is related to how the Buffalo Bills should handle it. I still believe that they should cut this player.

That being said... this lawyer is losing his mind.

He released an unprompted statement and dropped "Punt God" in his first paragraph. He cited Court TV. It reads like a 9th grader scrambling to finish the essay the night before it's due.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Bills kickoff live: “There’s a lot of pieces that don’t fit, there’s only one side of the story here.”

Proceeds to talk about NOTHING ELSE for the first 15 minutes.

I had to turn it off with Graham touting that Bills fans are universally against Araiza due to social media and radio call ins.  That just means the folks on that side are more vocal.  It means nothing more.

• Like (+1) 2

These two idiot talking heads on kickoff live thinking they can dictate to the Bills what they MUST do in this situation. Who the ***** are you anyway? “Well let me just commend you for being a woman in Buffalo media. There are so many women in the Buffalo media” What the actual? I don’t care at all about your speculation about accusions from 3000 ***** miles away, Shut the ***** up!

Also 20 minutes now talking about stuff you don’t know ***** about, instead of the game. You tools.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

1) There is a mistaken age defense. If he reasonably believed she was 18 or older that is a mitigating factor.

It is true that is a defense, but it never keeps prosecutors from bringing the charges. He is going to get charged. The jury will decide if that defense is a worthy defense. 

Just now, Bills2022 said:

It is true that is a defense, but it never keeps prosecutors from bringing the charges. He is going to get charged. The jury will decide if that defense is a worthy defense. 

It is up to the DA. Personally I would be surprised if a DA charged a 21 year old with statutory rape for having sex with a 17 year old at a college party when the 17 year old admitted that she lied about being in college, especially several months after the alleged act.

Has there been on any official update on Kim Pegula's health.  And has she made any recent public appearances or statements?  

As co-owner of the team, I doubt she will want to have this guy playing for the Bills.

Edited by Reks Ryan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

These two idiot talking heads on kickoff live thinking they can dictate to the Bills what they MUST do in this situation. Who the ***** are you anyway? “Well let me just commend you for being a woman in Buffalo media. There are so many women in the Buffalo media” What the actual? I don’t care at all about your speculation about accusions from 3000 ***** miles away, Shut the ***** up!

Also 20 minutes now talking about stuff you don’t know ***** about, instead of the game. You tools.

You seem to have heard what you wanted to hear. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

It is up to the DA. Personally I would be surprised if a DA charged a 21 year old with statutory rape for having sex with a 17 year old at a college party when the 17 year old admitted that she lied about being in college, especially several months after the alleged act.

There is not a DA alive who will pass on charging someone in a high profile case. They make careers out of this type of case. It is wrong, but that is how DA offices work. 

1 minute ago, Bills2022 said:

Your opinion has been noted and filed as "opinion #5478".  I will proceed to store these claims until actual facts are provided in the case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1