Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The decision should be based on what he did, not the role on the team. If he was a rookie first round QB it’d be “ah well, let’s see if he’s actually guilty first”.

His role isn’t significant for the success of our season and I don’t think keeping him while the civil suit and criminal investigation are both pending is worth the backlash this team is taking. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Hes absolutely livid. 

Agreed

He made a point that he was "trying to be solution oriented right now" and "trying to get the truth" and "that's what keeps going through my mind - try to do the right thing".

But it seemed pretty clear to me, despite him deflecting questions, that he feels he was misled and not given complete information and perhaps maybe let down

Candidates for that "let down" would be whoever was charged with investigating and vetting Araiza pre-draft, whoever on the Bills was charged with investigating after the LA Times article came out and Matt Araiza hired a lawyer (and allegedly communicated with the Bills -but with whom on the Bills), and possibly Matt Araiza himself.

16 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

He feels let out to dry. Rightfully so.

He shouldn’t be the first person to speak to the press live regarding this situation.  Beane should be.

16 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

“Do you feel like you were mis-led by any of the parties at any point in the process?”

”I’m not gonna get into that.”

Hooo boy

Beane and Terry need to be in front of a mic ASAP. 

From a human perspective, I want Araiza  gone. 

From a football perspective, let McD get back to work, and refocus the team on football. Let the front of house people manage the front of house. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

She was a 17 year old girl.

Did you see the choke marks all over her throat?

Did you see the bloodstains all over her clothes?

Will you say just one more thing so I can get me some satisfaction?

Yea why wasn’t he arrested and charged…. Can anyone answer that

Bills really F'd up with their statement yesterday.  All they had to say was "We are aware the serious allegations involving one of our players and are actively investigating it.  In the meantime Araiza will not be suiting up."    They worded the their as though they've known for some time and have basically brushed it aside but you can clearly tell from McD's presser that he just found out about this as we all did.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The decision should be based on what he did, not the role on the team. If he was a rookie first round QB it’d be “ah well, let’s see if he’s actually guilty first”.

It should be. But whatever the position of player (unless it is a star player eg franchise QB) he will be off the team for sure due to the effect on the place that the news brings.

2 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

Yea why wasn’t he arrested and charged…. Can anyone answer that

How about a deal?

If anybody is arrested and charged for raping that teenage girl, I toss you out of here.

If a bloodied, bruised, gang-raped teenage girl turns out to be the B word you claim, you can stay.

Deal?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Bills really F'd up with their statement yesterday.  All they had to say was "We are aware the serious allegations involving one of our players and are actively investigating it.  In the meantime Araiza will not be suiting up."    They worded the their as though they've known for some time and have basically brushed it aside but you can clearly tell from McD's presser that he just found out about this as we all did.  

Massive eff up.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Beane and Terry need to be in front of a mic ASAP. 

From a human perspective, I want Araiza  gone. 

From a football perspective, let McD get back to work, and refocus the team on football. Let the front of house people manage the front of house. 

Better chance of the Bills going 0-17 than Terry talking publicly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Lost said:

That's the impression I got that someone knew about potential stuff but he didn't. I'm just guessing obvs

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Agreed

He made a point that he was "trying to be solution oriented right now" and "trying to get the truth" and "that's what keeps going through my mind - try to do the right thing".

But it seemed pretty clear to me, despite him deflecting questions, that he feels he was misled and not given complete information and perhaps maybe let down

Candidates for that "let down" would be whoever was charged with investigating and vetting Araiza pre-draft, whoever on the Bills was charged with investigating after the LA Times article came out and Matt Araiza hired a lawyer (and allegedly communicated with the Bills -but with whom on the Bills), and possibly Matt Araiza himself.

I highly doubt we properly vetted pre-draft though it’s interesting that Warwow indicated that some teams were aware of the allegations at that point. I imagine the biggest cloud is what has happened after 30th July. 

Also, who cut Haack? If it was McDermott, what information dud he have on Araiza prior to making that decision and what did he find out in the last 24 hours?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ManCrushPassRush said:

Kind of ***** to make Sean go out there by himself to address the media. I'd have to imagine Beane and others within the Bills know much more about the situation and should be the ones addressing it. Not the coach.

It's kind of just how things lined up this came up yesterday as they were traveling to a preseason game that he'd be speaking after.

3 hours ago, Delusional Bills Optimist said:

As a lawyer who prosecutes civil/administrative sex abuse cases against minors (and thus is privy to the frequent companion criminal cases), my thoughts are as follows:

1. Of the alleged perpetrators, he is obviously the candidate with the deepest pockets (or at least the highest potential earning capacity at present).  The entity with the deepest pockets in the situation would be the state university. The university no doubt carries a significant insurance policy. It is noteworthy to me that it is not more of a focus, especially if there are allegations that they slow-walked or obfuscated the investigation.  Leads me to believe there must be a big impediment to pursuing a case against it. 

2. I infer that there aren’t going to be charges forthcoming against MA, which is interesting because so-called statutory rape is practically a strict liability crime, and the proffering of an affirmative defense doesn’t usually dissuade a prosecutor from levying charges. The accuser’s/victim’s attorney would be in the loop regarding the charging decision, and the likely decision not to charge resulted in the filing of the civil suit. In a case like this, a prosecutor is not going to want to expose their complainant to adverse examination in a civil arena, either at trial or in depositions. You don’t want your witness pinned down under oath in advance of your trial, especially given the much higher criminal burden of proof.

3. If the accuser’s attorney was practicing in WNY, he’d be a pariah within the legal community immediately. You don’t ever publicly disclose settlement discussions. They are inadmissible in court for a reason. The ONLY reason you would do that would’ve to prejudice a lay audience, to whom the desire to settle a case usually implies guilt or liability.  Also, the specificity of the allegations are noteworthy to me. Usually, in civil matters, you plead broadly, as it gives you the most leeway when it comes down to proving up your case.  In my experience, when I am drafting an accusatory instrument, if I lather up the allegations more than necessary to provide the defendant with notice of the claims, it’s usually because I am intending to force a resolution short of a trial.  To me, in a contest where money damages are the relief sought, that tells me that the instrument is designed to bring a swift settlement. Just my opinion.

Situation is not a good look for the Bills, but there’s only so much the team can do. Hiring an investigator was a solid move. The accuser is not going to be allowed to talk with the team. You gather the information you can and act prudently. There is a lot here that is concerning to me and most of it is driven by the lack of criminal charges and the…unusual…tactics of the woman’s lawyer.

If anyone has a copy of the pleadings, I’d love to take a look. Enjoy the game everyone, as best you can with this day’s developments. 

I provided this in PM while the thread was locked, and it's up thread but for anyone interested who does not want to wade:

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/player-suit.pdf

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

Your first part is true.

There seems to be only one option. 

Do you think that one option is cutting the accused player? 

I agree with that option as an immediate move in the event the accused player has misled the team in any way or withheld salient information from them, which certainly seems likely from the early reporting we're getting. It becomes an easy decision in that event. 

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

It should be. But whatever the position of player (unless it is a star player eg franchise QB) he will be off the team for sure due to the effect on the place that the news brings.

Exactly. Star players get treated with kid gloves no matter what they do whilst others are cast to the wolves.

Just now, Lost said:

The PR staff needs to be fired. It is what you pay them for. Get in front. Cut bait early. It's been said by so many, but it is a punter. A rookie at that. Even if he nets 60 yards for his entire career, it is not worth the cancer. Even if they slept on it last night and cut him this morning, we would at least look like we took it seriously.

How dare they send McD out there alone to explain hesitation and incompetence above his pay grade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Do you think that one option is cutting the accused player? 

I agree with that option as an immediate move in the event the accused player has misled the team in any way or withheld salient information from them, which certainly seems likely from the early reporting we're getting. It becomes an easy decision in that event. 

Yes, I just think he's off the team whatever happens now.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

How about a deal?

If anybody is arrested and charged for raping that teenage girl, I toss you out of here.

If a bloodied, bruised, gang-raped teenage girl turns out to be the B word you claim, you can stay.

Deal?

You are on quite the power trip here arnt you? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, benderbender said:

The PR staff needs to be fired. It is what you pay them for. Get in front. Cut bait early. It's been said by so many, but it is a punter. A rookie at that. Even if he nets 60 yards for his entire career, it is not worth the cancer. Even if they slept on it last night and cut him this morning, we would at least look like we took it seriously.

How dare they send McD out there alone to explain hesitation and incompetence above his pay grade.

Correct, especially after that idiotic statement yesterday that makes coach look worse. Get rid of them. 

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Did you all see the McD press conference in the game day thread ?

One of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen

Which is why I was advocating for them to cut him yesterday so they wouldn't be put in this position.  The Bills BOTCHED this big time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The PR staff needs to be fired. It is what you pay them for. Get in front. Cut bait early. It's been said by so many, but it is a punter.

Wtf?

Cutting bait early is the GMs job not the PR team's.

The GM had a chance to cut bait early but cut Haack instead.

The PR team does not make roster decisions smdh

Edited by 716er
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Cutting bait is the job of the GM and HC. Surely you’re not saying you want them fired right?

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, 716er said:

Again all of this could have been avoided if they didn't draft a GD punter - the least important position in the NFL.

I'm trying to understand your point of view. Is punter the only position that would result in a situation like this? Did the situation arise because punter is "the least important position in the NFL? 

I think your take is utter BS. "Again all of this could have been avoided if they didn't draft anyone" seems more accurate to me.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

You are on quite the power trip here arnt you? 

If you think I'm going ot let this turn into a forum for attacking gang-raped teenage girls, you got another thing coming.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Matt araiza is a rookie punter, he is young and AT BEST put himself in a terrible position and made some dumb decisions that could have derailed his professional career

With that said why are fans/people so upset he might get cut because of this? being cut might be the best out come for the guy

I think Coach McDermott handled this as honestly, as real, and as transparent as he can be considering the circumstances. And the position this debacle has placed on his team And himself as a man of character. Im proud of him. well done Coach. You answered as succinctly as was necessary imo. He's not going to spout off any clickbait headlines that is for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This thread shouldn't be 172 pages long... Araiza isn't worth it. He's a scumbag who should have been cut today. Anyone defending him or coming with this "innocent until proven guilty" crap is probably willing to condone all sorts of crimes.

Most ridiculous generalization post I have seen. Sounds like projection imo.  Of course he should be judged immediately based on your vast investigation of the case.  The NFL has no jurisdiction in this and a true scum bag in Watson is still furthering his career with a guaranteed 230 million $ payout and his owners are supporting him while he still refuses to admit any guilt.   Yet you want a 21 yo college kid to be judged and prohibited from any future without any trial or ruling just based on your emotional reaction. I have extensive training in DV, abuse , child abuse, etc , and have Been involved in cases in court and because IMO he deserves all the facts to come out and his day in court , that makes me someone who condones all sports of crimes in your words. 

what makes your opinion any more worthwhile than anyone else suggesting he deserves his day in court?  Very  narcissistic of you and actually very delusional , immature , and narrow minded.   I guess our constitution and our country is also guilty of condoning criminal behavior thenas that’s what you are putting forth!a!?    Funny , I am originally from south eastern Ohio ( around Steubenville) , and when I grew up there , people were open minded , intelligent , hard working , kind people who practiced fairness.  You want to live in some realm of absolutes I guess and unless this is just sarcasm ,  you may have missed out on attending one of the great universities available in the state as this type of analysis is more in line with someone lacking in finishing their primary education. But you know he is a scumbag yet probably know nothing of his family , background , and couldn’t pick him out of a lineup if you were pressed.  At worst , if he would even settle and no criminal charges are filed , then he deserves the consequences and if met , he would deserve a second chance in life because basically he is still barely an adult.   You know there are tons of examples of worse in the NFL ( Ray Lewis involved in mirder ring a bell as just one example, who is in the Hof ). No one is condoning sexual assault, but let’s not condone lynching and vigilantism as normal behavior that is any more desirable.   If you have such great conviction, go to law school , become a judge, become a police officer , do some actual good than just being a virtue signaling internet troll. Throwing a blanket judgement On those who believe in our system of the rule of law just makes your  thought process suspect and irrelevant.  Funny, I usually expect more from the great people of eastern Ohio who are great Steel workers , miners, and some of the best people I have met and roots I am usually proud of.  Hey , OU is in that area , check out some courses after you finish your primary education.  😀😉. Thank God there are many more level headed people from the area that brought us Dean Martin !   Haha!   Good luck with being such a worldly, analytical thinking person in your future endeavors.  Go Bills and go Buckeyes ( and bobcats and my Toledo Rockets and Wittenberg tigers !).  

( please don’t get me wrong, if proven to have done this he is a scumbag and no argument.  All I am saying is it’s simplistic and wrongful to label people who just are arguing for letting the legal process to be allowed to move forward. That’s how we have a society and how our great country , the Best in the world if you ask someone like a wnba player imprisoned in Russia right now, handles things.  Just because someone argues for fair process does not make them a scumbag by association. If proven by those responsible given that responsibility to investigate and judge, it is vile and I agree not someone I would want on the team. Just saying we have to let our system work; it looks bad right now but it is not IMPOSSIBLE there is more to the story, and trying to be impartial should not result in character assassination.   BEST  wishes during this highly emotional situation. Again, prayers fir all families DIRECTLY involved and I hope these young lives are not permanently ruined ). 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Did you all see the McD press conference in the game day thread ?

One of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen

It is not embarrassing for McDermott to be upset and to take a serious matter seriously, in public. The team's non-handling of this up until that press conference IS an embarrassment, though, for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2