Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, Bills2022 said:

There is not a DA alive who will pass on charging someone in a high profile case. They make careers out of this type of case. It is wrong, but that is how DA offices work. 

It has been months since he supposedly admitted to having sex with her and the DA has not brought those charges against him.

4 minutes ago, Daniel from az said:

I keep things simple...let the process play out

Why are you so simple minded?  You need to blow this out of proportion from every angle you can think of because you don't have any real facts.  😝

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The Pegulas have a daughter on the professional women's tennis tour. And a couple other daughters. Terry Pegula is not going to allow this guy to remain on the team.  

Pretty confident Pegula would get rid of him based on the statutory rape claim alone. The guy admitted to having sex with her. He can't survive that even if it was consensual. I am not sure how the guy gets around the 17yr old girl issue even if everything else is false.

I'm pretty sure the notion of her actually telling people she was a college student/legal age might have something to do with defending a stat rape charge.  This part isn't a he said/she said case that needs a long investigation, he already admitted to having sex with her.  The fact that he wasn't charged with stat rape long ago is likely proof that there's something there with the claims she was lying about making it known she was underage.

• Agree 1

Again...there's two different things at work here.  The criminal investigation, going back to October, which the Bills seem to have investigated.  And the civil suit, which this @$$h@l& ambulance-chasing lawyer seems to have blindsided everyone with, including the Bills.  

Not doing due diligence on a civil suit filed yesterday by a sh*tbag attorney trying his case on Twitter isn't even an excusable lapse, since it's not a lapse at all. 

And there's rightly a dearth of information released concerning the criminal investigation.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

With him not playing tonight, the Bills have a few more days to investigate all options before final cuts are made.  My guess is not disclosing these potential charges to the Bills before the draft will be his ultimate undoing and he will be cut.  The Bills just need more time first, despite what their statement said.

I wonder what the alleged victim's attorney fascination with Araiza is? There are two others who have been named in the gang rape, who I think have had civil charges brought against them too but not a sound. I can think of three possibilities:

1) The attorney is playing off Araiza being a rising 'star' in the NFL for attention

2) He thinks that the DA may not press criminal charges against Araiza, so wants to court public opinion for the civil case, whereas it's looking more likely that the other two will be charged

3) He dislikes Araiza's attorney and that is driving him as much as the case is. The other two defendants have different attorney's

Perhaps it's a bit of all three.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

It has been months since he supposedly admitted to having sex with her and the DA has not brought those charges against him.

DA's always sit on these cases until they are told to bring them. My guess is right after Labor Day. Election season. 

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Again...there's two different things at work here.  The criminal investigation, going back to October, which the Bills seem to have investigated.  And the civil suit, which this @$$h@l& ambulance-chasing lawyer seems to have blindsided everyone with, including the Bills.  

Not doing due diligence on a civil suit filed yesterday by a sh*tbag attorney trying his case on Twitter isn't even an excusable lapse, since it's not a lapse at all. 

And there's rightly a dearth of information released concerning the criminal investigation.

If the Bills' front office serioulsy thought there was no risk of a civil case being brought then they need their collective heads testing.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Tell ya what, I’ll watch the Bills, you go watch court tv, and we can give each other updates later.

Says the guy posting in the Matt Araiza rape allegation thread. 

Please do spare us your horrid takes.

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, Shake_My_Head said:

That headline seems designed to generate clicks and cast aspersions on the Bills.    Why would they ever talk to the plaintiff's lawyer?   

Talk to law enforcement, talk to private investigators.   Just like in the McCoy case that's been cited a few times in this thread...

Wawrow for ya, I'm shocked 🙄

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

There is not a DA alive who will pass on charging someone in a high profile case. They make careers out of this type of case. It is wrong, but that is how DA offices work. 

Well..... the DA did "pass" on charging Shady McCoy in the Philly nightclub case.  That woulda been pretty high profile.

Not saying you're wrong, but I do think other factors play into it, such as whether they'll be successful.   From what I understand DA's thrive on high conviction rates, too.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If the Bills' front office serioulsy thought there was no risk of a civil case being brought then they need their collective heads testing.

plaintiffs attorney has apparently been hounding them so pretty sure that’s not the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Huh? They were told on 7/30 that a civil case was pending 

I read the OP as saying there was no lapse of judgement from the Bills as the civil case blindsided them. I disagree, partly for the reason you say.

Edited by UKBillFan

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm pretty sure the notion of her actually telling people she was a college student/legal age might have something to do with defending a stat rape charge.  This part isn't a he said/she said case that needs a long investigation, he already admitted to having sex with her.  The fact that he wasn't charged with stat rape long ago is likely proof that there's something there with the claims she was lying about making it known she was underage.

He is going to get charged. My guess is all this national attention is being coordinated with some ambitious DA and somebody running for office.  This case will be brought right in middle of election season. 

He likely has a great defense but he is going to get charged.

Edited by Bills2022
  • Like (+1) 1

First off, I don't know how the NFL commissioners exempt list works, but this seemed like the perfect situation for Beane and Goodell to get ahead of this whole fiasco. I love what Beane has done for this organization so far but either the NFL and/or Beane dropped the ball a little here. Putting my GM hat on, if I were Beane and both the NFL and my organization knew about this a few weeks ago, the moment I knew about it, I would've called Matt into my office to see if he did this. If the answer was no and I believed him, I call the commissioner and do everything possible to get him and my team protected by putting him on the exempt list. If the answer was yes, he would've been cut immediately. I am all for letting things play out, but I believe this to now be a distraction that didn't need to happen if done the right way. This stuff, true or not, always gets leaked to the public so no need to hide it. Protect your players and team the right way. Hopefully Matt wasn't a part of this, and the situation blows over. I like Beane and company standing behind players they believe are innocent and I trust that he must have some valid reason to have kept Matt when he had another punter on the roster. I don't think he would've chanced this outpour if he believed Matt was even a little guilty, I just wish it was done in a smarter way instead of this lets all just keep quiet and maybe it'll blow over nonsense. 

Just now, Bills2022 said:

He is going to get charged. My guess is all this national attention is being coordinated with some ambitious DA and somebody running for office.  This case will be brought right in middle of election season. 

Hey look, something we actually kind of agree with.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

No, what I wanted to hear was about position battles and depth charts. I certainly did not hear any of that.

I agree.  They talked about the lightning delay and Araiza.  Nothing more.  On all the NFL shows etc throughout the day on ESPN and NFL network, they mentioned the allegations and moved on without comment.  As they should since there is no more known today than last night.  Let it play out in the legal system.  If the Bills take any action before then, it's there decision.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

First off, I don't know how the NFL commissioners exempt list works, but this seemed like the perfect situation for Beane and Goodell to get ahead of this whole fiasco. I love what Beane has done for this organization so far but either the NFL and/or Beane dropped the ball a little here. Putting my GM hat on, if I were Beane and both the NFL and my organization knew about this a few weeks ago, the moment I knew about it, I would've called Matt into my office to see if he did this. If the answer was no and I believed him, I call the commissioner and do everything possible to get him and my team protected by putting him on the exempt list. If the answer was yes, he would've been cut immediately. I am all for letting things play out, but I believe this to now be a distraction that didn't need to happen if done the right way. This stuff, true or not, always gets leaked to the public so no need to hide it. Protect your players and team the right way. Hopefully Matt wasn't a part of this, and the situation blows over. I like Beane and company standing behind players they believe are innocent and I trust that he must have some valid reason to have kept Matt when he had another punter on the roster. I don't think he would've chanced this outpour if he believed Matt was even a little guilty, I just wish it was done in a smarter way instead of this lets all just keep quiet and maybe it'll blow over nonsense. 

Nfl can't take any action since it happened in college and not while he was an employee of the NFL. They were talking about it on WGR earlier. 

18 minutes ago, fridge said:

As I've stated earlier in this thread -- the focus I have on this issue is related to how the Buffalo Bills should handle it. I still believe that they should cut this player.

That being said... this lawyer is losing his mind.

He released an unprompted statement and dropped "Punt God" in his first paragraph. He cited Court TV. It reads like a 9th grader scrambling to finish the essay the night before it's due.

He wants the Bills to release Araiza and is putting pressure on them to do so because the Bills doing that would presume his guilt and assist his case.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, doing so would also open them up to a Civil Case from Araiza's attorney's for hindering his case if he were to be found guilty.

While I understand the sentiment behind fans saying "cut him now", it's not that simple. Atm I think their only recourse would be to place him on a Team Leave Suspension until the case has settled itself and then go from there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

First off, I don't know how the NFL commissioners exempt list works, but this seemed like the perfect situation for Beane and Goodell to get ahead of this whole fiasco.

Word is that the NFL can't act against a player for actions that occurred before he was drafted.

But here is the actual wording about the Commissioner's Exempt List:

Here's a full description of the Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List directly from the NFL Player Personnel Policy Manual:

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.

I do wonder if, given this vague wording, the Bills might be talking with the NFL about whether this would qualify as an "unusual circumstance" that should allow Araiza to be on it until the situation with possible criminal charges and the civil lawsuit play out.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Beast said:

And? Do you have something actually relevant to add?

So you'd prefer these men are in jail for something they didn't do, because it looked bad before? That's justice to you? 

The flip side of 'if this was your daughter', is If this was your son/brother/friend, would you believe they have no right to be heard? Would it be, 'he's just a burger King worker'?

You're not arguing in good faith here obviously 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

It happened in college...the NFL has no jurisdiction over this as per the NFLPA contract

9 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Or, they knew it was a possibility and heard his side of the story and believed they could back him because they thought that the allegations were false. 

Crazy how that works, right?

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He can't.  Because no lawyer would let him. 

Which is good - let the public reach a verdict first.  

They already have.  Guilty or not, he’s the sacrificial lamb for NFL’s Deshaun Watson fiasco.  He’s nothing right now but an entitled white boy punter who gang raped a minor.  

On a side note, I can’t believe the Bills put themselves in this position.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Hey look, something we actually kind of agree with.

The San Diego DA, Summer Stephan, was once the Chief of the Sex Crimes Division. She is bringing charges. Likely will never get a conviction, but she is going to get tremendous pressure from media.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Or, they knew it was a possibility and heard his side of the story and believed they could back him because they thought that the allegations were false. 

Yes, I agree. I was responding to the post which said the civil case would have blindsided them. It wouldn't have done. I could have just phrased my response better.

7 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

If it is confirmed true they will cut him super fast. They are just waiting to see which is a reasonable response. As an example if you were a member of their Administration i would think they would not fire you if you were a solid employee and somebody made an allegation about you until more facts were known that showed you were guilty

I guess OJ would still be employed.  Don't need a criminal conviction to fire an employee.  Most companies won't wait for it either.  He's a rookie he has no record of being a solid employee.  The article is pretty credible.  

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

What? Who cares what his side of the story was. There was ZERO chance of this not eventually becoming a major distraction. And for what? A punter. Even if he did nothing, why would the super bowl favorite, a team that rarely punts, put itself in this position. Insanity.  

Let some 4-13 team with no media exposure take that risk. This is the Prime Time Bills.  We now live on the national stage. You need to act like that.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1