AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

They’ll have the option to vs certain matchups and insurance in case a huge massive dude gets hurt.  Not having a viable backup 1T can be a huge issue if jones goes down for any time.  

What teams carry two viable cap hit 1T DT’s.. let alone cap strapped ones with elite QB contracts.  

What happened to Tampa without Vita Vea during their SB year..  They didn’t stop the run at an elite level until he came back.  … because who can afford two legit 1T’s?

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What teams carry two viable cap hit 1T DT’s.. let alone cap strapped ones with elite QB contracts.  

What happened to Tampa without Vita Vea during their SB year..  They didn’t stop the run at an elite level until he came back.  … because who can afford two legit 1T’s?

Good point. I didn’t say I expected them to do so….just spitballing ideas.  I said I hoped they would cut star, but you never know with this regime. They love the guys they love.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

As it stands right now, the Bills have:

1T: Daquan Jones, Star Lotulelei, Eli Ankou (practice squad)
3T: Ed Oliver, Tim Settle

I feel like they normally roll with just 4 DTs on the roster, particularly now that they have Basham, who they like to kick inside on third downs.

That said, unless they decide to roll with 5 DTs this year, I'm not sure where Jordan Phillips fits on the roster.

They had 5 last year - Oliver, Butler, Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, and Justin Zimmer, with both Obada and Basham able to swing inside.

6 DE - Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, Obada

They had 5 DT in 2020 as well, and that was not accounting for Lotulelei sitting out - Oliver, Butler, Jefferson, Phillips, Zimmer

DE in 2021 included Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson, and Murphy

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't know what you mean by "viable cap hit 1TDTs", but McDermott loves him his DL rotation so he wants 2 1TDTs on the roster.

If they can draft someone they like, they may well cut Star, but he doesn't appear to have a New League Year roster bonus this season just a per-game active roster bonus.  So there's not much motivation to send the Turk immediately.

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Neither this nor the Settle deal have been made official. I wonder if one has to do with the other…?

Tim Settle is definitely a done deal, I'm wondering if the hold up is needing to clear additional cap space? I haven't checked where we're at officially, following the Von signing.

Exact dline transformation that we needed. Setting up to be a draft focused on getting "speed"

• Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - returning to Bills per source
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.