AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Basically,   Settle would have to stay at 1T.     Phillips can't play any 1T.    Turrible, turrible at it.    Might be a disservice to the up and coming Settle.   Doesn't feel like a Beane move but I knew this was coming and thought maybe Phillips and Zimmer might end up as the 3T's.   Jordan Phillips is a $1M-$2M player right now, IMO.

Heh.  I don't think Phillips believes he's a $1M-2M/year player right now.

What do you know about how Settle plays?  My impression is that he could play 1T, but it really wasn't his gig, better as a 3T who can play at 1T on passing downs.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t hate a DL room of Groot, Boogie, AJ, Shaq, Eddy, Settle, Jones, and Phillips. 

I think Groot and Boogie will be your volume sack guys, with Lawson and Epenesa being your “no run zone” guys.

If Phillips really does come you can add Oliver and Phillips as your "get sack" guys in the middle......that is one thing Phillips seems to be able to do

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I find it hard to believe he was just cut and immediately agreed to terms with the Bills. I'm guessing this is a Shaq Lawson-esque desperation move.

So be it. If a guy wants to play with you and he adds something we lack bring him in and see what he has left. It's telling they want to come back here, it shows me McDermott can build a locker room. 

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Settle seems like he could move to 1T tho

We've played both Ed and Jordan at 1T, but I'd prefer to use them at 3T, and slide Settle to 1.

Oliver can play 1T DT but it's a waste of his talents

Phillips looks like he should be able to play 1T DT but he's terrible at it.  I think it must be a mindset, and Phillips has his mind set not to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t hate a DL room of Groot, Boogie, AJ, Shaq, Eddy, Settle, Jones, and Phillips. 

I think Groot and Boogie will be your volume sack guys, with Lawson and Epenesa being your “no run zone” guys.

Groot does well at setting the edge too. 

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Phillips would have to be a depth signing at a very low contract to make any sense. 

Yeah the guy had a career year here in Buffalo but it felt really flukey honestly, even though he's a scheme fit. 

If he'll take $1.5M or less you pull the trigger and then cut Star.

From what I've watched Settle can play 5 if he needed to.  I'd love to see a big 4 of Lawson, Jones, Oliver, and Settle.  We could definitely mix and match.  Seems like a pretty versatile group and finally some interior line guys that can really be disruptive.  No offense to Harry but he got out muscled a lot.  I can see this years group having more power to it.

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Phillips would have to be a depth signing at a very low contract to make any sense. 

Yeah the guy had a career year here in Buffalo but it felt really flukey honestly, even though he's a scheme fit. 

He played well in 2018 his first year here

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If he'll take $1.5M or less you pull the trigger and then cut Star.

I'm all for cutting Star but it's gotta be one of those post June 1 cuts right?

I mean what's best for the Bills is if they can just convince Star to retire.

Phillips as a back-up to Oliver would be fine with me.  Rolling with Settle, Jones, Oliver, and Phillips as the 4 DT's would be fine with me.  Designate Star a post June 1 cut.  To me that gives you one true 1 tech(Jones), one guy that can probably play either(Settle), and two that are inside pass rushers.  All four of them are better than Zimmer and H. Phillips so I think the position group would be an upgrade over last year.  

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm all for cutting Star but it's gotta be one of those post June 1 cuts right?

I mean what's best for the Bills is if they can just convince Star to retire.

I guess. I dont know what the difference is. I just know we can save $1.5M cutting Star at some point. If we can get Jordan for that amount, then I'd take that wash.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  I don't think Phillips believes he's a $1M-2M/year player right now.

What do you know about how Settle plays?  My impression is that he could play 1T, but it really wasn't his gig, better as a 3T who can play at 1T on passing downs.

Oliver and Settle will start - 3T and 1T - and play on passing downs most often IMHO.  I think Jones plays more the short yardage and obvious rushing downs at the 1T.  If Phillips signs, he likely rotates in to spell Oliver when needed.  And both Settle and Phillips are versatile enough to go into either the 3T or 1T if needed at times.  

But my expectation is that...3T:  Oliver and Phillips.  1T:  Settle and Jones.  The rotation I expect will be frequent to keep guys fresh and all will see a good amount of snaps.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.