Bills sign DT Tim Settle, formally of Washington Commanders.

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually quite like this signing, Tim Settle is a talented guy, but I still feel that we should be focusing on 1 or 2 difference makers not a lot of role players.

Can't neglect the trenches!  

Need Harry back and the D line is set.  

This seems like it could be a sneaky good signing. The guy didn't see many snaps in Washington because he had dudes like Allen and Payne ahead of him. He definitely fits the Bills in terms of what they're looking for in free agents (players on the younger side with untapped potential and just need a chance to shine) as well as in terms of players overall. His scouting report said he plays with "infectious energy" and takes well to coaching. As they've been telling new acquisitions in the McBeane era, come be the best Tim Settle you can be. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I see him as more of a big 3T...........he's an effective interior pass rusher.

God I hate when I agree with you.

He's Jordan Phillips-esque. His body type and weight suggests he should be a run-stopping 1T, but he's been much more effective as a pass rusher in his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually quite like this signing, Tim Settle is a talented guy, but I still feel that we should be focusing on 1 or 2 difference makers not a lot of role players.

Yep it's a matchup league.

At times I've wondered if Beane thinks that way.............they've had some easy schedules for more years than not in the McBeane era.........so not being able to dominate on the edges and islands hasn't been a week to week problem...........but it's been magnified when they face SB contenders.

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

He's 6'3 and 308. 

Why are we never interested in a true run stopper? 

If you want an actual answer, it is primarily because of how powerful our Offense is.  We focus on a Defense designed to limit our opponents passing game. For the most part, if a team tries to grind it out and run against us, we are confident enough in Josh Allen’s ability to score quickly, which gives us a huge advantage. 

It doesn’t always work, so we get the occasional clunker, like the Jags game last year, but in general, it is a recipe for success.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, but we do need players like this as well, and this doesn't mean that we aren't focusing on one or two players.

Let's wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

I like this signing ok, but I want Phillips to stay until he reaches his peak. He's just getting going. We don't want him to end like Wyatt Teller. Both he and Settle have shown flashes and Star is useless. I don't care if we have to eat some deas money. Star is a liability when he's on the field.

16 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Sounds like a good signing. I bet Harry is coming back as well. We need both, Star acted like he was already retired at the end of the season to me.

I still believe one way or another that Star will be gone before the season starts.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Had his best season as a pro in 2020. 5 sacks. Last year he had none. Looks like a definite depth signing.

I don't think the Bills do "depth signings," not at this time of year.   They do that to fill out the roster in June and July.   Instead, they sign guys who the Bills think can play the best football of their lives.   Essentially, what Beane and McDermott want is for their coaches to take raw material and shape into something to realize potential they see in the player.  

So, although I don't know anything about this guy, and although his stats are underwhelming, I'd say the Bills signed him because they think that they can find a way to make him a serious contributor to the defense.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, DJB said:

He's 6'3 and 308. 

Why are we never interested in a true run stopper? 

He actually is around 320 and even though PFF has him rated as a better pass rusher he can also obliterate Doubleteams with power

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cue all the folks who just found out this guy existed to start gushing about his potential.

I live in DC area , I subscribe to the Wash Post, read the sports everyday,I know every lineman on the team..except one...now I glady accept that one,

its a talented D-line here, all first rounders start and the backups are good,

Settle had a down year in comparison to year before, I just hope he replaces Butler and not Harry, and yes I am am hairy about Harry.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This seems like it could be a sneaky good signing. The guy didn't see many snaps in Washington because he had dudes like Allen and Payne ahead of him. He definitely fits the Bills in terms of what they're looking for in free agents (players on the younger side with untapped potential and just need a chance to shine) as well as in terms of players overall. His scouting report said he plays with "infectious energy" and takes well to coaching. As they've been telling new acquisitions in the McBeane era, come be the best Tim Settle you can be. 

Thank you for not saying "flashes".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.