How Do you Feel about the State of The Buffalo Bills-just a little offseason discussion

With the recent quick Turn around of 4-11-1 last season Bengals to 10-7 this year and a SuperBowl Berth, I am just curious to how many of you view

the state of this team and where we are headed. Clearly quick turn arounds for whatever reasons can happen.

We are now having that sustained Playoff success the Coach and GM  promised but yet we still can't get over that final hump. I thought once KC was Dethroned that We would be the team to do it. 

What is even crazier going into Free Agency is that the Bengals have found their Star QB, WR and have almost 60 million in Cap space. 

MCD AND Beane now are into Year 5. We have our own star QB, WR and a host of offensive weapons to score points at will. .What's funny is for the past few years we seemed to have one or the other. When The D was awesome, Josh was learning. When the Offense exploded Our D wasn't as crazy good.

Nothing would make me happier than Seeing Poyer and Hyde have their shot in the Big game. The two of them have been here from the Start. But Both are getting up there in football age and I am not sure how much longer they will be around together. 

So Beane has stated we possibly we won't be Big spenders. Can this team with a few moves here and there  keep up with  the Chargers, Bengals, Chiefs, maybe Broncos if they could reel in Rodgers?

Should there be a sense of Urgency this offseason to address certain areas of this team in Free Agency as opposed to the Draft?

The Bengals won't be in a good cap situation for very long. They've got 2 more years of a good cap situation before Burrow, Hendrickson, Mixon, Higgins and Boyd are all due. In all likelihood, they'll have to extend most of them after next season. If I had to pick 1 team to regress next year, it would be them. They're playing very hot right now, and that's the most important trait in the playoffs, but it wouldn't shock me if they missed the tournament entirely next season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Burrow seems to be a cocky S.O.B. judging from some of the things he has said to the media in recent weeks.

He seems like a prime candidate to believe his off season hype and regress next year.....if he wins the SB this year, it might make the odds of regression higher, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

We’re as much a super bowl contender as any team in the league.  

We have the most electrifying man in football entertainment.  

What more can we ask for to begin the offseason.

i hope that:  

-we can solidify our OL and have a top 5 OL for the next 10+ seasons.  I don’t care how we do it, draft or FA.  Whatever gets it done.  

-we can add another electrifying WR.  Jameson Williams please. 

-we don’t pay Edmunds more than 13M a year (and even that’s too much).  If we pay him anything at all, I hope that we have flexibility to get out of the contract. After 1-2 years.  I’d be happy if we can get a draft pick or two for him and avoid his cap hit.  He’s good….just not MLB making 13M+ aav good.

-cb2:  If we invest highly (rd 1-3 or over 6M aav) in a CB, I hope that player has better than average speed for a corner.

-resign Harrison Phillips and draft another big body DT in rd 4-7.  

-resign Jerry.  We need a vet in the DE room and he can still play. Those of you that hope we go with 4-5 youngsters @ DE are likely going to be upset.

-add another solid TE.  Running more 2TE sets and becoming more multiple on O.  Knox may become too expensive to keep.  Having a possible replacement in the pipelines would be smart imo.  

-we can get over that loss and keep the locker room focused 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We’re as much a super bowl contender as any team in the league.  

We have the most electrifying man in football entertainment.  

What more can we ask for to begin the offseason.

i hope that:  

-we can solidify our OL and have a top 5 OL for the next 10+ seasons.  I don’t care how we do it, draft or FA.  Whatever gets it done.  

-we can add another electrifying WR.  Jameson Williams please. 

-we don’t pay Edmunds more than 13M a year (and even that’s too much).  If we pay him anything at all, I hope that we have flexibility to get out of the contract. After 1-2 years.  I’d be happy if we can get a draft pick or two for him and avoid his cap hit.  He’s good….just not MLB making 13M+ aav good.

-cb2:  If we invest highly (rd 1-3 or over 6M aav) in a CB, I hope that player has better than average speed for a corner.

-resign Harrison Phillips and draft another big body DT in rd 4-7.  

-resign Jerry.  We need a vet in the DE room and he can still play. Those of you that hope we go with 4-5 youngsters @ DE are likely going to be upset.

-add another solid TE.  Running more 2TE sets and becoming more multiple on O.  Knox may become too expensive to keep.  Having a possible replacement in the pipelines would be smart imo.  

-we can get over that loss and keep the locker room focused 

I agree. I am pretty pumped we were able to Keep Dorsey. I think He will lead this offense in an exciting direction. 

• Like (+1) 2

Best QB in the league. Rest of the roster is league average.  Head coach is about 10th best overall.  Bottom half in clock management.  This is the formula we used for a 12-7 season, with 1-1 record in the playoffs.  Shocking if we were to miss the playoffs next year. Equally shocking if we win the Super Bowl next year.  There are four other teams in the AFC with similar chances to the Bills. 

As an aside the 13 second debacle only serves to reinforce other teams that when its the Bills their is always a chance they will blow it.  Hated this particular reinforcement. 

55 minutes ago, Special K said:

Burrow seems to be a cocky S.O.B. judging from some of the things he has said to the media in recent weeks.

He seems like a prime candidate to believe his off season hype and regress next year.....if he wins the SB this year, it might make the odds of regression higher, IMO.

Which is a quality you want in your QB

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Rams are going to beat the Bengals in the SB, possibly by quite a bit.  Both the Bengals and Chiefs could have a bit of a hangover next season.

I don't think we're missing much - but the lack of consistent pass rush is glaring to me.  Focus on that & further adding to the O-line.

Next year is the Bills year. I know we thought this year was, but I don't think this year's Rams were a good match-up for us.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Do you recall how cocky the '90s Bills were?

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

Do you recall how cocky the '90s Bills were?

How many SB’s did that cockiness get them?

Same reason the Chiefs are a “dynasty of one” too much cockiness on that team.

I prefer players who do their talking  on the field....a silent assassin like Josh Allen over a cocky loudmouth like Cam Newton....just my preference....to each their own.

Edited by Special K
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wouldn’t say average. It’s a solid roster missing some elite players to really get it over the top…. Unfortunately gotta hope we find a couple via the draft because this regime group won’t spend for one.

And gotta hope McD improves on game day and they learn to make adjustments throughout the game when their game plan isn’t working…. Wondering if that ever will change since it has been a common theme with McDs/Frazier’s defense.

14 Teams made the playoffs.  Put Josh on any of those teams, and they are as much a contender as the Bills are.  Put Josh on the Colts and they go from no playoffs to super bowl favorites. In other words, you put Josh on at least half the NFL teams, and the likelyhood of them making the playoffs is the same as the Bills. 

• Agree 4

If you had told me the Bills would enter the playoffs as the #1 Defense and Josh would basically play 2 perfect games, I'd say we're SB bound if not Champions.

We still have to hurdle a gauntlet of elite qbs in the AFC, especially if Rodgers joins Denver. Obviously we have to strive for home field #1 seed. No more losses to teams like the Jags, ever. 

We need better pass rushers. We need a CB2 next to Tre. We need to replace 49 with a more "all around" MLB.  Maybe an upgrade to Star? We need YAC from our wrs and a run scheme that pulls the Guards. A fast RB2 and a good TE2 combo.  We don't have alot of cap so Beane will have to do some magic. And finally McD has to stop making critical in-game mistakes. I wish Jordan Palmer had a summer coaching clinic.......🤪

• Agree 3

Looks like Frazier's not getting hired away, and I think that's a big problem no matter who is playing defense next year. I'm sure McD will stick with Frazier and his D staff.... Sean Payton was analyzing the Bills D for ESPN yesterday and didn't mince words, in a way most coaches seldom do -  The former Saints head coach referred the Bills late game defensive schemes as - "As the crime that was committed by Buffalo late in the game". 

The defensive crime came at 13 seconds - Payton- “We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left!! —they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively at the most critical time was flawed". This wasn't rocket science.

I think most high school coaches would have provided a better defensive scheme then what the Bills allegedly #1 defense put together at the moment of truth for the entire season. Frazier needs to go, or the Bills will find themselves in similar circumstances at critical times next year. As the Chiefs game proves. The Bills offense, and Josh can play a near perfect game, and still lose because of critical coaching mistakes. Bills were near the bottom in the league in winning games decided by 7 points or less. With Frazier, that trend will likely continue. This is the Bills biggest problem heading into next year.       

• Like (+1) 3

I think we're still easily the best team in the division, amongst the 3-8 best in the conference and league assuming the offense doesn't slip with Dorsey. 

We still need help at #2 CB where I could see taking a high draft pick on as I'm done with Levi, also need to draft an eventual replacement for Edmunds on the defense, also may need to replace Hughes, Addison and Butler as could see all leaving. On offense we need depth at WR as think next year's our last year with Beasley and think McKenzie walks. Knox stepped up but we have nothing behind him, backup QB could be a worry if Trubisky leaves and always nice to add depth on the Oline. I'd also a speedy back that can compete with Singletary as the top RB as Moss showed nothing this season. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I look at it this way. They're showing consistency and the ability to produce sustained success, and I hope that in the 10 to 15 years that Josh Allen is in all pro quarterback that they win the Super Bowl at some point, which is much closer to the normal rate than the obvious outlier.

Obviously the big if for the short term is how the offensive coaching changes are going to work out. My opinion is that Josh Allen is so good it hardly matters that buffalo and Kansas City going into next season are still going to be the two best teams in the AFC.

The big picture of the team is that the culture is excellent and the bills have a proven Superstar quarterback. It's what the very beginning of a long run like the ones the Packers, Saints Steelers and Seahawks have had recently looks like and we know that Allen can play well in the postseason because we've seen it now.

Fans don't like to talk about it or hear about it, but the luck factors worked out so poorly for the bills this season that even with the slate of tougher opponents, I probably hammer there over when total if they stay healthy. The first two indicators of progression or regression for any team our record in one score games in an over or under abundance of fourth quarter comebacks. Buffalo didn't win a one score game didn't have a fourth quarter come back, and that's mostly luck. Unless they don't stay healthy or Dorsey really really flops, they're going to be a better team next year than they were this year even though the slate of opponents looks harder now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Brand new OC who has never called plays. There will be growing pains.

Questions about the direction and philosophy of the offense with Dorsey and OLine coach TBD.

Obvious and deserved questions about the lack of speed in the secondary.

Questions about the defense and it's philosophy in general.

Questions about the interior OLine.

There is a lot we don't know and frankly a lot to fix. Even if the defense had managed to play for 13 seconds could they have stopped Jamarr Chase and Joe Mixon? I have doubts. I think the Rams would shred this team so I don't think the team is as close as some would like to believe and as close as the team likes to tell itself.

• Like (+1) 1

We were a legit Super Bowl contender this year.  In fact, if not for the infamous 13 seconds, I think we'd be heading to beautiful SoFi as the favorites.  We have a good squad and a good coaching staff.  But there's always room for improvement.

Concerns:

*  OC.  From everything I hear, Ken Dorsey was the right choice.   Nonetheless, he's never been an OC before so I have some anxiety.

*  Our defense was good mostly because of excellent teamwork, discipline and scheme.  We don't have great playmakers who match up well with the best of the NFL.  

*  Josh may be the most valuable player in the NFL - regardless of what the voters say.  He needs better bodyguards. 

Needs:

*  The OL played poorly most of this year and now our OL Coach is gone.  We need to find his replacement - a good one.

*  Interior OL.  

*  Speedy deep threat to complement Diggs, Beas and Davis.

*  Good, fast DB

*  An elite edge rusher

*  RB.  Motor is serviceable but if a true playmaker becomes available, we should pursue him.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The good

1. Allen is as good as it gets

2. G. Davis' growth

3. Poyer and Hyde

4. Tre White returning

5. Ken Dorsey Continuity

6. Taron Johnson and some CB Depth in Place

7. Oliver trending upward 

8. Singletary might be a decent #2

The Bad

1. Our DL (old guys are done, young guys need to grow up quick)

2. Our OL improved but it still needs a lot of work

3. Punter has to go

4. LB's need an overhaul

5. Not much cap space

6. Allen is worth the money, yet surrounding him with talent gets harder

7. Schedule gets tougher.

The Ugly

1. McDermott's clock management and situational awareness has cost games, including a legit shot at being the team to beat in the Super Bowl.

2. No one wants Leslie Frazier. He is decent enough not to be fired but bad enough that no one wants him. And, given other situations, letting go of a minority coach is bad business and optics.

3. The ability to draft and develop OL/DL players the last 10 years.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Success said:

I think the Rams are going to beat the Bengals in the SB, possibly by quite a bit.  Both the Bengals and Chiefs could have a bit of a hangover next season.

I don't think we're missing much - but the lack of consistent pass rush is glaring to me.  Focus on that & further adding to the O-line.

Next year is the Bills year. I know we thought this year was, but I don't think this year's Rams were a good match-up for us.

Good points.  Need LB and CB game speed and IQ then we’re looking at 13-4 and 1 seed. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

With the 13 second debacle still an open wound, I’d still say I feel very good about the state of the Bills. They have the best ( or 2nd best depending who you ask) QB in the AFC. WRs are very good, Gabriel Davis just had a 200 yard playoff game. I definitely believe they’d be preparing for the Super Bowl now if not for that inexplicable sequence at the end of regulation in KC. They will have a few departures and holes to fill but that’s the league now. Some restructuring of contracts will probably be in order. Still, I expect this team to be in the AFC championship game next season. 

• Like (+1) 3

I love where we are at Offensively. The past couple Games Josh just took it to a another level. I have a feeling we won’t see any more debacles like Jax next season considering the quality of opponents . I think the schedule will be great for us.. it will really Battle Test us. Singletary came on strong when given the opportunities late so I’m not sure if I put  much resources at this point into a new back  as a priority.

Which leads back to the number One Defense. We need some playmakers out there.  Addison is too old, Star is unreliable and hopefully both should be gone.

Harry gave an incredible effort this season and Oliver really finally was living to draft status. I’d like for Groot to be the man on the one side. Epenesa was Mia after week 2 for the most part. But if he could really step up his game then our two ends would essentially be relatively cheap deals for a bit. 

I would like to see address

Cb -1 or 2 Guys depending  on what happens with Levi. We need to know we have solid depth behind Tre. 

Resign Harry. Him and Oliver can be the staple for the next two years. 

We may have to think Lb depending on what our long term plan is with Tremaine.

There is some Guys  I’n Free Agency like Dante  Fowler, Chandler Jones, Ingram..  I just wonder if they are going to cost too much. Do you think we bring back Hughes? 

Oline- I think we got to try and keep Bates. When he was put into the lineup he did an incredible job. Haven’t heard much on Mitch but would love for him to stick around a bit longer. 

Wr- not sure if Beane will be interested in bringing in another veteran presence. I’m fine if Beasley wants to play one more year, but there seems to be some interesting options in Free agency or the draft as well. If we lose McKenzie can we utilize Stevenson with his speed In That role? 

Beane has some work to do. If he can solidify this roster with a few tweaks here and there we have as good a chance as any.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

The former Saints head coach referred the Bills late game defensive schemes as - "As the crime that was committed by Buffalo late in the game". 

Glass houses Sean...  Sean Peyton's playoff record since McDermott was hired in Buffalo is 3-4, with one unsuccessful trip to conference championship game, same as McDermott.  And Peyton had one the all time greats at QB for 4 of those years while McDermott worked with Tyrod Taylor and the first two "training wheels" seasons of Josh.  Oh yeah, Peyton also has on his resume, a divisional round meltdown of equal measure to 13 seconds against Minnesota in 2018, when his D inexplicably left the deep sideline free for Diggs to author the "Minneapolis Miracle".   How many people demanded his firing after that game?

• Thank you (+1) 1

We have STABILITY across the Owner/GM/HC/QB like never before! 

We are a top destination for FA's especially offensive skill players  

Would love to see some cap wizardry to shed, restructure, and fit in some quality pieces in FA

We are in a position in the draft to snipe a top WR in the 1st, would trade up in 2 to get a 1st level CB that fell, OL/LB after

If there is something available FA/Trade that makes us significantly better (Edge/RB), no matter the cost, we take it. 

We are "all-in" for that prize

Despite the #1 ranking the defense needs to be improved. Lack of pass rush and the inability to stop the run when facing good rushing teams needs to improve. The Titans, Colts, Chiefs, Pats (1st game) embarrassed our D. I think the offense is fine although I would like to see them to improve the OL with an upgrade in talent and depth. Maybe have to get younger at WR, will Beasley and Sanders be back? McDermott needs to do a better job with game management. Some of things he does is questionable and it goes beyond 13 seconds. Overall I think the Bills are in good shape to make another run next year.

• Like (+1) 1

after 20+ years of enduring bleeding mediocrity and "hoping" for wins, frankly I am still wallowing in the joyous pool of knowing my team can compete and win against any team in the league on any Sunday (or Saturday or Thursday or Monday) and that the team is built for many years of this. 

right now, that is good enough for me

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

With the recent quick Turn around of 4-11-1 last season Bengals to 10-7 this year and a SuperBowl Berth, I am just curious to how many of you view

the state of this team and where we are headed. Clearly quick turn arounds for whatever reasons can happen.

We are now having that sustained Playoff success the Coach and GM  promised but yet we still can't get over that final hump. I thought once KC was Dethroned that We would be the team to do it. 

What is even crazier going into Free Agency is that the Bengals have found their Star QB, WR and have almost 60 million in Cap space. 

MCD AND Beane now are into Year 5. We have our own star QB, WR and a host of offensive weapons to score points at will. .What's funny is for the past few years we seemed to have one or the other. When The D was awesome, Josh was learning. When the Offense exploded Our D wasn't as crazy good.

Nothing would make me happier than Seeing Poyer and Hyde have their shot in the Big game. The two of them have been here from the Start. But Both are getting up there in football age and I am not sure how much longer they will be around together. 

So Beane has stated we possibly we won't be Big spenders. Can this team with a few moves here and there  keep up with  the Chargers, Bengals, Chiefs, maybe Broncos if they could reel in Rodgers?

Should there be a sense of Urgency this offseason to address certain areas of this team in Free Agency as opposed to the Draft?

I think the Bills will be in a good spot again next season.  Yes, there’s a new OC but Josh really seemed to be coming into his own as an elite passer last season.  Josh isn’t Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.  

If you can’t get elite QB play, it really doesn’t matter who your OC is.  Offense will be fine and I see Josh having a big year.

Defense could be another story.  They’ll certainly drop in rankings like most #1 defenses do.  I see the DL being very much in question and the Bills will need to add a few new CB’s.  Plus Tremaine Edmunds needs to step up which is very much question.  I see the defense dropping but I’m hoping they can be more opportunistic and make the big play when it matters like Cincinnati did last week

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Which is a quality you want in your QB

On the field, not towards fans and the general public. 

The comment he made about his chains saying "Of course they're real, I make too much money for them not to be"  paraphrasing was kinda pompous. 

JA makes 250 million but you won't hear that crap from him.

Ideally a team maximizes QB production on his rookie deal so they can afford to surround him with a supporting cast. Bills window is closing as Josh's big $$$ starts to kick in. This should have  been their year but Beane should manage 2022 cap and maintain championship caliber roster. After 2022,I'm not so sure. 

OK, since you asked. "The Process" has created a team that if managed well can be a perennial playoff contender. With a healthy Josh Allen all things are possible. To get over the hump and reach the SB may require mortgaging the future some to obtain a couple more proven "elite" players. The time is now.

IMO the defensive philosophy has failed this year and could not win them a game when needed on multiple occasions. A change may be needed but I don't know if that will happen. Is this Frazier's Defense or is this McD's Defense? Hopefully they can do an honest end of year evaluation and take the needed steps.

Sensational.

They still need to keep trying to improve, as does every team. But this is a great GM with a great coach and an elite QB. That's major-league terrific!!

Doesn't make me feel any better right now. Still feels awful. But we came through the drought. This is vastly, massively better.

Overall I feel good about the Bills. Every year 31 teams are disappointed with how their season ends and only one is happy. Even when you are good most years you will be sad with a loss. The core of the team is set and just will need some minor tweaks and polish to keep moving forward. Daboll is a lost but I am excited to see what Dorsey can do. I honestly wish Frazier was gone I think for as successful as his D has been, the post season it has failed numerous times now and a different voice and style could help. My biggest question this year was how Josh would do after such a great 2020 and new contract. He answered the bell and won the big games when crunch time came and he was the reason they won those games. Moving forward any small doubt I may have had is gone and its just win baby I could care less about his stats.

For this season itself I would call it a successful failure. They failed to close the game at KC and have a great opportunity to return to the SB. They failed to get home field advantage because they wasted three very winnable games JAX/TEN/PIT that would've given them the #1 seed or 2 seed. The season was much more of a dog fight something I think they now understand will be yearly affair and you rarely run rough shot the way they did in 2020 with little resistance. They succeeded though in winning the division again, pushing in division competition back, and winning in the playoffs. All of that matters in raising the standard and culture as proof 2020 wasn't a fluke and the AFC East is Buffalo's until further notice. Josh finished has evolution into a complete QB and the results were sparkling to see come the postseason. So they failed in the two big goals Sb and homefield, but success was still present and most importantly our QB finished his emergence is one of the best players in the league that people legitimately fear. Trust me that matters more then we realize right now.

The AFC is wide open and tough at the same time given the great crop of young QBs. Be ready every post season for thrilling tight games and just hope we get a little lucky.

In the offseason I would like to see some change at DE and a new face. I really think they need a true #2 CB in FA. Levi did well but I would like a new face also so Tre can recover as needed. The offense is set even with attrition to Sanders and maybe Cole and I expect some additions will happen to balance that.

• Like (+1) 1

This is year three for the Bengals with their current head coach. They had two really bad years. They had a lucky run this year. But they have their QB and some pieces around him now. Their oline is not that good so they need to address that. 

It's the nature of single elimination football in the playoffs. Davids and beat Goliaths which is what happened with the Bengals beating the Chiefs. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are. Any team can beat any team once. And I really like that about football.

The Bills are in really good shape. They can continue to add talent in the draft and some free agents. They have a great team and a great QB. They have good coaches. Fans should not be pushing the panic button.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.