Ken Dorsey Promoted to OC

Mopreme

22 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I hardly think they promoted Dorsey simply because Allen was an advocate. If you know anything about McDermott and Beane, you have to know they have been anticiapating this for the last two years and, I'm sure, evaluated all their options and made the decision they felt was best for the team. 

Agree 100%.  Most businesses have succession plans in place for important positions.  Its the nature of the world...people move on, quit, get promoted, etc.  I'm certain they have a running list of coaches, staff, and players in the event there are openings.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

He gotta get creative! Can’t just do the same ole Daboll offense. Push to elevate the concept scheme and to design player personnel packages to have defenses heads spin!!!! 

I think Daboll had his infamously criticized playcalling  moments in his tenure with the Bills. Wasn't it the end run and playoffs run that propelled he to his new job as Head Coach?  Plus having #17 as your QB we all know does Not suck.  Anyway mr Dorsey has a clean slate it's up to HIM what changes he would implement in the offense and create synergy there..not just hero worship...know what I mean?  Screen game hell yes. Lets wait nd see what happens

............First poster that calls for his firing in his first season  Im gonna throw a cyber rotten tomato at his head....word. Patience grasshoppers.

GO BILLS

haha

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 5

The familiarity he and Josh have with one another is the key dynamic here. Dorsey doesn't have to come in and learn anything about Josh, not as a new OC would have, because he already knows. I think this bodes well for the offense and team as a whole. It was the most obvious, but also the right move to make in this instance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couple of points...

1. You should be banned for even mentioning Eichel in the same sentence as Allen, let alone comparing them. :nana:

2. When we need crucial yards, you put the ball in the hands of your best player on the field. That is JFA.

3. YAC was low, but Josh's Air Yards per Pass was high. It's a trade off. Teams with high YAC often throw low yardage bubble screens.

4. Absolutely did not use Davis enough. And then blew our cover for next year in the last game of the season so we wont have the ability to "surprise" anyone with him.

Welp, online he will now have no other moniker than "JFA"! Lets make this a thing

• Haha (+1) 1

I hope Dorsey fights to keep McKenzie in a Bills uniform. I suspect that Daboll might have been McKenzies biggest supporter in Buffalo. A lot of hay has been made about how McKenzie really emerged in the latter part of the season. But, a lot of those plays were things that McK was running in 2019, before we acquired Diggs-- those jet sweeps, and end-arounds, etc. Especially with the likely departure of Sanders, and possibly Beasly, McKensie's role on offense seems as important as ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We may need to pay him big bucks as well to Leave!

frazier Frazier FRAZIER.....mr frazier has not been given nor received any offers yet whatsoever......hmmmm. Not to go off topic but he and Dorsey are copadres meaning like knitted family in the Process... meh I wonder if Frazier does end up staying now.......

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Can we hire Palmer as the new QBs coach?

Can we, yes.  Should we, no.  

The off-season is the only time that Josh has to fine tune his game without any of the coaching staff.  Having Palmer available to him during that time is more important.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

My initial reaction was "this is good."

I like the continuity and this should have the least impact on Josh, which is good.

Having said that, Dorsey has zero experience as an OC or play calling at the NFL level (or maybe any level?) and that scares the crap out of me.

I wanted a guy with play calling experience.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is Frazier fired yet? 

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I like the continuity and this should have the least impact on Josh, which is good.

Having said that, Dorsey has zero experience as an OC or play calling at the NFL level (or maybe any level?) and that scares the crap out of me.

Perhaps Josh is ready to call his own plays?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

If Dorsey really was being courted by so many teams, I'm guessing that the Bills stepped up financially.  Obviously having #17 was a draw, but at some point money talks.

No more "Ralph is cheap!"

I'm sure they kicked in some extra money to sweeten the pot. Last week Cowherd mentioned on his show that many insiders he knows said Dorsey will be the next great coordinator.  This is a good day!

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He has Josh Allen. He'll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would be shocked if Dorsey hasn't been practicing or preparing to call plays for years. I'm sure Josh and him are already talking about how to work together. Josh and this entire organization doesn't strike me as the kind of place that was just blindsided with this moment and doesn't have a plan in place going forward.

They literally satisfied the Rooney Rule and announced Dorsey as OC the next day. This was a done deal.

We'll be fine.

Edited by uninja
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like that McKenzie is excited.  One more hint he signs a 3 year contract with the Bills soon.

47 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

If Dorsey really was being courted by so many teams, I'm guessing that the Bills stepped up financially.  Obviously having #17 was a draw, but at some point money talks.

That is so true.  That old cliche needs to be update to "Terry spends like a drunken sailor"!

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Well that is something you will have to deal with.

I'm fairly sure that Ken Dorsey has been working on his own putting schemes and plays together for the team for the last couple of years.

Daboll took everything into consideration (which was a good thing).  If players could bring plays to Daboll I'm sure the "Passing Coordinator"

had a significant input.  

If your meaning is a concern about what play will Dorsey call on a 3rd and 4 on the opposing 44 yard line we will all have to see what 

happens there.  In some ways a "stranger" would have to learn Josh Allen's skills and Ken Dorsey has been through all the learning curve

with Allen.

No one can say with certainty how Dorsey will perform, and he will have a learning curve himself, but I see no reason to panic.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s been like that all year. Must have been a typo. 

I didn't notice it before someone pointed it out a few days ago.  But it was an incredibly odd typo.

46 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

That's what I'm thinking.

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably Frazier with the most pressure… He’d be the first guy fired if the Bills defense is a sieve for the third year in a row in the playoffs next year. 

I still want to know who called the defense during the last 13 seconds.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was in a meeting 😭

Was it a "high level" meeting? :)

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Great!

But, Ken, you should know, I'm giving you until the end of preseason game number 2 to convince me I was right to be behind this move. 

Otherwise I will be creating a petition and sending it to Terry

I send my letters to Kim :)

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Does he have any experience with the run game and run blocking schemes

Would love for Dorsey to get with Gailey in the off-season to study the art of the screen game. Then I’d like him to get with Roman to pick his brain about run blocking schemes - assuming coaches are open to helping out one another.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.