Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think it’s about not catching a break…. They didn’t address the mediocre offensive line last off-season… this is the result of that.

No, they didn't, not adequately. I don't blame Beane for assuming Feliciano, Dawkins and Williams would play at the same level, but he appeared to be counting on a third-round draft pick from a small college (Brown) to play swing tackle in a year of COVID uncertainty. He also seemed to assume Ford would be a starting guard, at least after Lamp went off. If the Bills lose Sunday or otherwise go south, it will be almost entirely due to those two missteps. 

To put it another way, if Beane had secured a Ty Nsekhe-caliber swing tackle and found a starting (not replacement) caliber guard, the Bills could have gone undefeated. They're that good in all other positions--yes, including running back. 

4 minutes ago, finn said:

No, they didn't, not adequately. I don't blame Beane for assuming Feliciano, Dawkins and Williams would play at the same level, but he appeared to be counting on a third-round draft pick from a small college (Brown) to play swing tackle in a year of COVID uncertainty. He also seemed to assume Ford would be a starting guard, at least after Lamp went off. If the Bills lose Sunday or otherwise go south, it will be almost entirely due to those two missteps. 

To put it another way, if Beane had secured a Ty Nsekhe-caliber swing tackle and found a starting (not replacement) caliber guard, the Bills could have gone undefeated. They're that good in all other positions--yes, including running back. 

I like that idea (going undefeated).

I have zero doubt that Beane will take care of the line in the offseason.  It's far & away the top priority to make this team a contender.  I think he'll get a RB - but you're right. It's not as much of a need as we think.

12 minutes ago, finn said:

2bff0140-f3ec-4bb2-a1a4-ab226d4e1bda_tex

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

I don't believe his team threw 3 passes because he was "afraid" of the weather. If they needed to they would have opened things up like the Bills tried to do. They scored 14 because 14 is what it took. As I said earlier, no, I am not saying they could score at will. Just enough to beat the Bills that specific day.

I disagree. If you remember that first pass that sailed high and if not for a spectacular catch may have been picked off BB was not going to let Jones beat them.  Can you imagine how effective play action should have been in the 2nd half?  That they didn't try it tells me BB was terrified at what might happen had Jones been asked to throw the football.

And as far as 14 being enough points, two trips into the red zone in the 4th quarter including a 1st & goal at the 7 argue that the Pats were lucky that 14 points was enough to win the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I think it this point we jave to take alternate measures. It's time to meet up outside the Judon house around 11pm Saturday night. We will loudly sing Christmas Carols all night long (and maybe spill some water on his front steps).

Doesn't the Hoodie make them sleep at a hotel the night before the game?  I can't think he'd change just because of Christmas.

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

I don't believe his team threw 3 passes because he was "afraid" of the weather. If they needed to they would have opened things up like the Bills tried to do. They scored 14 because 14 is what it took. As I said earlier, no, I am not saying they could score at will. Just enough to beat the Bills that specific day.

So you think bellicheck was fine with them basically holding on for dear life and bills being in position with a 1st and 10 at the 15 late in the game to most likely win the game if they score? 

…. Ya ok 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

I actually have this thought that the Pats try to throw all over us this week.  Bill Belichick likes his weird revenge stuff.  Remember that year we beat them like 31-0 then the next game he made sure he beat us 31-0.  Last year the first game we ran the ball all day and won by the skin of our teeth.  The next game we passed all day and torched them.  This year they ran all over us and won by the skin of their teeth.  Maybe they try to torch us now.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I actually have this thought that the Pats try to throw all over us this week.  Bill Belichick likes his weird revenge stuff.  Remember that year we beat them like 31-0 then the next game he made sure he beat us 31-0.  Last year the first game we ran the ball all day and won by the skin of our teeth.  The next game we passed all day and torched them.  This year they ran all over us and won by the skin of their teeth.  Maybe they try to torch us now.

I think that would be a big mistake on his part…. By all means, though. Let it rip, Bill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

I like that idea (going undefeated).

I have zero doubt that Beane will take care of the line in the offseason.  It's far & away the top priority to make this team a contender.  I think he'll get a RB - but you're right. It's not as much of a need as we think.

If they fix the line they could get by with right change of pace guy to compliment Singletary, who is not currently on the roster. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think it’s about not catching a break…. They didn’t address the mediocre offensive line last off-season… this is the result of that.

They knew full well early last season their OL was weak especially run blocking. They rode Josh and relied on his stupid athleticism while ignoring the obvious OL issues. Now those same issues are glaring as JA runs for his life. The brain trust I'm sure knew they blew it and will over compensate toward OL support.  Frankly I'm ok with that. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can we all agree that they need to keep G. Davis on the field even if Sanders returns?

Maybe Sanders slides inside to the slot so Davis can stay where he's proven to be more effective as our WR2. 

Yes the cute little Sanders experiment is over. Don't you dare let Gabe fall any lower than WR2 for the remainder of this season and well into next year. He's a perfect compliment to Diggs. And he can give you alot more than toe drag swag.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes the cute little Sanders experiment is over. Don't you dare let Gabe fall any lower than WR2 for the remainder of this season and well into next year. He's a perfect compliment to Diggs. And he can give you alot more than toe drag swag.

Gabe’s play on 4th & 4 versus Tampa was a thing of beauty.  Catches short of the sticks going the wrong way, turns around with a defender wrapping him up and then drags him upfield to secure first down yardage.  Don’t know if there’s another WR on the roster that could make that play after contact.

So yes, more than toe drag swag.

The lack of Dawkins news is disconcerting. If Dawkins wasn’t asymptomatic, I wonder if he could get in game shape even if cleared today. Hopefully the team created a better option than Brown at LT. I had hoped Bates could play an even slightly below average LT to keep the rest of the line in tact. 

17 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

predictions (dah)

1) Never a “pocket” for Josh 

2) NE will play action our D to death

3) Our coach/players will take too long to adjust and react. 

Alway love your positive perspective. And, Merry Christmas, Ebenezer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I am an optimist and feel the strength in this team.   I believe they can beat anybody in the league at any time.

I love Spencer Brown and think he will be a core player for the Bills for the next 8-10 years.

However, the thought of Matthew Judon going against Rookie Spence, with Cody Ford on the same O-Line does have me slightly concerned.

Let's see how things go. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

predictions (dah)

1) Never a “pocket” for Josh 

2) NE will play action our D to death

3) Our coach/players will take too long to adjust and react. 

You forgot:

4) We get more penalties, some at just the right moment for NE

In the end it will be close enough for our Homers to go nuts about how we shoulda won and we're better (too many 'reasons' to even speculate). 

This game is a 50/50 proposition. 

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I am an optimist and feel the strength in this team.   I believe they can beat anybody in the league at any time.

I love Spencer Brown and think he will be a core player for the Bills for the next 8-10 years.

However, the thought of Matthew Judon going against Rookie Spence, with Cody Ford on the same O-Line does have me slightly concerned.

Let's see how things go. 

Feel better.  Cody won’t be out there.

51 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Merry Christmas, to all on TBD. What we need today is a Christmas miracle: News that Dawkins and Feliciano have been cleared and are off the COVID naughty list. Come on Santa, get it done!

Instead….we lose our wr2 and RG

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Bourne. Which honestly is sort of a hit to them… but judging by how this week is going I fully expect they’ll get him back in time.

…. Because Patriots. 

Bourne is their only receiver worth worrying about. The Bills need to just now be able to cover Henry, and there’s otherwise not much to their offensive passing weapons. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bourne is their only receiver worth worrying about. The Bills need to just now be able to cover Henry, and there’s otherwise not much to their offensive passing weapons. 

Well I disagree. Meyers is probably the next best option after Bourne amongst wr’s. Harry has 10 catches all year. He’s garbage 

EDIT: You said HENRY not Harry. My bad. Yes. I agree. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I know BB will have his team prepared but I get the feeling that the Pats have already played their best ball. Clappy will not stand to be humiliated by a Bradyless Pats twice in the same season. Then there is the small matter of needing the win to maintain our postseason berth. This is a must win on many levels and I think we're up to the task.

14 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So you think bellicheck was fine with them basically holding on for dear life and bills being in position with a 1st and 10 at the 15 late in the game to most likely win the game if they score? 

…. Ya ok 

I think you are making the moment more dere than it really was. Given this is the nfl, it's harder to win games, blow teams out and keep them from scoring more often than not.

I am sure he wasn't surprised the bills offense was moving again. And I think he just wanted the win than than margin of victory.

Edited by Ghost_002!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.