11/14/21 Postgame Thread: Bills at Jets

Hapless Bills Fan

11 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

That's the way I used to think of it. But those plays have been blown up repeatedly in recent weeks and the issue is that they often end with Josh getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. If he doesn't escape, that's a sack. Also, if you were watching this game, the RPOs were rarely used if at all. Also, it's very clear, the play calling was much different in this game. I admit that the design of the RPO is how you describe, but it is still a pass option. And if nobody is crossing the line of scrimmage, what do you think the OL is belatedly going to try to do? Continue to run block? Every play has it's benefits and flaws. The point is that it was far over used and new play calls were needed.

I would agree.

I wasn’t arguing any of your other points, but instead clarifying the design of most RPOs as I know them. 

I also never called into question the use of frequency of RPOs in todays game (which I did watch btw). I was simply disagreeing with your point that the design of the RPOs were to blame. It was the execution of the running game that has held them back, and today they executed at a higher level. 

Go Bills 

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Appreciate this post, brother.  I remember seeing him do this in the Chefs game right after that long halftime.  Ed is such a good dude.  He's not perfect, but he's turning out to be a real force at this level, which is a far cry from the competition he saw at Houston in college.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

A few things I noticed today:

1. D line was in White's face and hitting him all day.  They didn't get the sacks but they were laying the heat down after down.  Ed got loose over the NYJ guard and just pounded White on what look like a fumble.  Watch the replay on that one and look at Mike White after Ed completely dumped him.  That's a guy in pain right there.  Oliver has really come on this season.  Not "worthy" of a draft pick as high as he was taken?  Who gives a rats behind?  This season, he's showing exactly why the Bills brass wanted him so much and today was a perfect example.  He's a monster.

2. Josh was IN THE BLEEPING ZONE today!  75% completion % and hitting the deep balls all day.  I'm sure everyone noticed how little air he puts under his long passes when he's on.  No rainbows.  You can tell he has to take an extra step or wait just a bit longer because his arm is so strong.  If he keeps it up, his long-ball confidence will skyrocket. 

3. Diggs:  162 (!) yards receiving at 20.2 (!) yard average reception.  Yikes!  Diggs is just unbelievable to say the least.  We got him and he ain't going nowhere else.  Gonna be one of the best Bills receivers ever, if not the best, by the time he retires.  History in the making and we all get front row seats!

Man, it is DEFINITELY a great time to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills!!!!!!!!!

That was 100% an incomplete pass-no way that ball travels forward from where he was hit of his arm wasn’t going forward. As much as I wanted that to be a fumble, that was definitely the correct call

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

That was 100% an incomplete pass-no way that ball travels forward from where he was hit of his arm wasn’t going forward. As much as I wanted that to be a fumble, that was definitely the correct call

Definitely?  So I guess you saw the frame-by-frame that the rest of us didn't?

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I would agree.

I wasn’t arguing any of your other points, but instead clarifying the design of most RPOs as I know them. 

I also never called into question the use of frequency of RPOs in todays game (which I did watch btw). I was simply disagreeing with your point that the design of the RPOs were to blame. It was the execution of the running game that has held them back, and today they executed at a higher level. 

Go Bills 

I'm not disagreeing or arguing. I've just been on a bit of rant over RPOs lately that started before this game. One of the things that was really irking me is that it was effecting the run game and the RBs in particular. Josh would take the snap, stick the ball in a RBs gut while keeping both hands tight on the ball, trying to decide whether the hand it off or keep it himself. The poor running back has no choice but to stop, wait for Josh to let go of the ball so he could start running again. That's what got me paying attention to the RPOs more closely in the 1st place and the more I watched it just seemed to snowball in to even more distaste. Sorry if I came off a little strong. No disrespect intended. I'm just not a big fan of that play call. At least not if it's being used too often. Last year it was working very well. This year not so much.

25 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Definitely?  So I guess you saw the frame-by-frame that the rest of us didn't?

Fine genius, explain to me how the ball went forward then-he wasn’t hit from behind, so the only way that ball went forward is if his arm went forward. Simple physics 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Jets took Darnold over Allen and Q Williams over Oliver - I like Q but Oliver almost single-handedly wrecked the Jets’ offense today.

Can’t be fun being a Jets fan right now.

Josh keeps shoving it in their face with the whole MVP candidate run, Oliver has the decency to not have the gaudy stats despite wrecking peoples *****.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Who was the idiot that wanted to waive Gabriel Davis last week and try and “sneak him on to the practice squad.” ?

That sounds OBJ related.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow, that’s a pretty incredible offensive stat. Besides the players and coaches we have, it’s these kind of things that make me know that our team will be OK.

It’s kind of crazy. We’re watching history in the making but people want to say our offense is struggling too much. I get it, there are flaws and ups/downs, but what a torrid pace we’re on.

Enjoy the ride, fellas!

5 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Wow, that’s a pretty incredible offensive stat. Besides the players and coaches we have, it’s these kind of things that make me know that our team will be OK.

It’s kind of crazy. We’re watching history in the making but people want to say our offense is struggling too much. I get it, there are flaws and ups/downs, but what a torrid pace we’re on.

Enjoy the ride, fellas!

Ya man it is amazing. Happy they are working on there weakness while building there strengths. This is a amazing team.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are so many piping hot takes during and after a bad game that no sane human could possibly keep track

image.gif.f25f94ae0e8ebedf25cc57930947b8a9.gif

Basically how I handle this board after any ugly loss. Knowing full well, in that moment, I’m capable of spewing plenty of hot garbage.  Haha. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

-Allen under center. 

-The use of Breida. 

-Variety of run plays.  

-Tons of PA.  

-The return of McKenzie/Davis.  

The Offense looked A LOT different. 

Yes, it was like the Bills coaching staff got on TBD for suggestions.

The return of the WR runs.  Moss in backfield on passing downs.  Gilliam playing and also in on passing downs to support pass protection.

Diggs and Davis made some big catches.  Anybody know if Beasley was dinged?  I was wondering why Davis saw more action finally. 

Total team win.  Wonder how often a team’s secondary, with 5 starters, all get a turnover.  Plus, 4 different players scoring a rushing TD.  

With a win, we can laugh that right after Spero  Dedes says “Tommy Doyle in at tackle” that his man blasts past him to sack Josh.

9 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

The return of the WR runs.  Moss in backfield on passing downs.  Gilliam playing and also in on passing downs to support pass protection.

Diggs and Davis made some big catches.  Anybody know if Beasley was dinged?  I was wondering why Davis saw more action finally. 

Total team win.  Wonder how often a team’s secondary, with 5 starters, all get a turnover.  Plus, 4 different players scoring a rushing TD.  

With a win, we can laugh that right after Spero  Dedes says “Tommy Doyle in at tackle” that his man blasts past him to sack Josh.

Right lol. Lots of people post interesting helpful things here. We all love the Bills. Lots take it far to understand the whole game, schemes and stuff. Good to learn everything.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Davis got more reps after they sat Sanders. Not sure if he got dinged up on that amazing diving catch that was nullified. Or it may have just been veteran rest. Beasley got his targets too. They played more heavy formations with Sweeney, Knox, and Bates but still passed out of those set several times.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A lot of that "Buffalo style" or it's crap thing comes from people who grew up with it.......not people who grew up in the 1960's like Pullman.   Wings really didn't "take off" all over the entirety of WNY until the 80's and that was mainly because they were dirt cheap byproduct for bars to peddle to increase beer sales.    

My bad.  I did grow up in the 80’s so it’s always been around for me.  Remember the family driving to Disney as a kid and me ordering chicken wings in Georgia at a rest stop, totally oblivious to the fact it wasn’t a national thing at that time.    “You just want the wing?” the waitress asked in confusion.   I didn’t comprehend wing history then and am discovering I still don’t now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will say it's somewhat unusual that team would lose by 28 points, but lead time of possession and have run more total plays and have almost as many first downs.

I suppose it's due to the Bills having some many long plays so didn't take many plays or time to score a TD.  I suppose averaging 9.1 yards per play helps

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A couple of things stood out to me as "peculiar".  1 The Jets had like 22 1st downs! I thought we dominated them & you don't usually give up 22 1st downs then.  2) We only had 1 3rd down attempt in the 2nd half (3-6 conversions in 1st 1/2, 1-1 in 2nd)!!  That much success results in poor ball control, which was the reason the Jets were so "successful" on Offense.  Much like our Defense of the SB era, they were much more successful/good than stats would indicate.

Unless I'm mistaken, we had 4 rushing TDs from 4 different players, and none of them were Allen?  Is that even legal?

So not only did every starting DB have a turnover, but every RB had a rushing TD...

2 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

A couple of things stood out to me as "peculiar".  1 The Jets had like 22 1st downs! I thought we dominated them & you don't usually give up 22 1st downs then.  2) We only had 1 3rd down attempt in the 2nd half (3-6 conversions in 1st 1/2, 1-1 in 2nd)!!  That much success results in poor ball control, which was the reason the Jets were so "successful" on Offense.  Much like our Defense of the SB era, they were much more successful/good than stats would indicate.

It's called garbage time, no need to over analyze it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I will say it's somewhat unusual that team would lose by 28 points, but lead time of possession and have run more total plays and have almost as many first downs.

I suppose it's due to the Bills having some many long plays so didn't take many plays or time to score a TD.  I suppose averaging 9.1 yards per play helps

Turnovers, big plays on offense, and the Jets getting yards and time of possession in garbage time

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Lotta garbage yards by Jets. 

52 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

BTW, to my untrained eye, I thought this was Obada’s best game.

He had the one sack (negated by the AJE late hit), and I think he may have been credited with another one on a force out of White. But I saw him have a number of decent run stops and pressures (including one that the announcers highlighted). 

Tarons int. was all Obada disrupting. He's been solid this season and I see him sticking around next season if Mario & Jerry are gone.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

You know what really irks me is draft day he looked all sad the bills took him. Which would have been OK if he wasn't mediocre.

But he is so far.

I mean I'm pretty sure that's because he'd already gotten the call and we just got to see the second reaction to hearing it on T.V.

• Like (+1) 1

A fantastic game for the Bills. The first half up until that last TD drive was a bit shaky. But once they got that Diggs TD to end the first half and the fumble to keep the Jets from getting a field goal or more it was over. The Bills cashed in early in the second half and put it away quickly in the third quarter. The defense was spectacular as was the Special Teams unit who may have had their best game of the season arguably. 

Now that being said the Jets are not a very good team. They are one of the worst teams in the NFL and playing with a backup QB. You have to beat the Jets going away that's nothing to sneeze at. But I am very curious to see how they hold up against a solid Indy team as a true temperature check for this team. Indy has a fantastic running back, a very good defense, solid special teams unit and a decent QB. They have some weaknesses but they are a tough matchup against the Bills. 

Hopefully Star comes back and that solidifies the run defense and the offense finds a good gameplan in the first half. Good to pile up this win but next week we will really see what this Bills team can do. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

The Bills were clearly the better team on both sides of the ball. They came out focused and took care of business. I'm not reading too much into this game. I think Brieda should get more touches. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

A fantastic game for the Bills. The first half up until that last TD drive was a bit shaky. But once they got that Diggs TD to end the first half and the fumble to keep the Jets from getting a field goal or more it was over. The Bills cashed in early in the second half and put it away quickly in the third quarter. The defense was spectacular as was the Special Teams unit who may have had their best game of the season arguably. 

Now that being said the Jets are not a very good team. They are one of the worst teams in the NFL and playing with a backup QB. You have to beat the Jets going away that's nothing to sneeze at. But I am very curious to see how they hold up against a solid Indy team as a true temperature check for this team. Indy has a fantastic running back, a very good defense, solid special teams unit and a decent QB. They have some weaknesses but they are a tough matchup against the Bills. 

Hopefully Star comes back and that solidifies the run defense and the offense finds a good gameplan in the first half. Good to pile up this win but next week we will really see what this Bills team can do. 

Very nice post. Jonathan Taylor is a beast. He will be difficult to contain. 

The glimpses of a more dynamic running back were very evident on what a difference it makes in this offense.  I’m not saying Breida is the guy going forward but a priority this coming offseason should be finding a dynamic running back.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.