11/14/21 Postgame Thread: Bills at Jets

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Exactly. Brieda produced and brings something different when he's in there.

If you're going to send a message and bench a guy for a lost fumble after not being on the field all year...well, I just don't know.

I’m not advocating that we bench him for a lost fumble, but he has to clean up his game.

• Agree 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

was that really a missed block by Breida? He went out and ran a short route— wasn’t sure if it is on him to adjust or what? 

I agree with you. It’s tough to know exactly who is suppose to pick that up, definitely seemed like Breida had a route to run. Part of me thinks that if you see that defender you need to chip before releasing. Again, doubt we will ever really know, but you bring up a valid point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No one blocking for the Bills this season has been flawless, but the other backs (and McKenzie, for that matter) are competent when asked.

He needs to work on his blocking chops if he wants to have a regular role.

Was it really a missed block by Brieda as Miyagi pointed out he went hot route?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One more whiff on a block like that could take Allen out for the season.  We can’t have that.  If he’s in as a back, he’s gotta be able to block.  You don’t have to level the guy, just get in his way and slow him down some

I'm not sure he was supposed to block there. On a play where the RB and TE both run routes instead of chipping or blocking, someone's probably standing hot in the area the blitzer vacated. Josh has to see that one and go to his hot read.

1 minute ago, y2zipper said:

I'm not sure he was supposed to block there. On a play where the RB and TE both run routes instead of chipping or blocking, someone's probably standing hot in the area the blitzer vacated. Josh has to see that one and go to his hot read.

He can still chip the guy, even if he wasn’t in pass pro. Dude literally  brushed shoulders with Breida as they passed in the backfield.

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Was it really a missed block by Brieda as Miyagi pointed out he went hot route?

But could he be the hot read if Josh never even looked his way? Would have been a good call if he had been. I suspect miscommunication.Josh also held on to the ball too long again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He was running an angle route so I doubt it was a hot but as a vet he should recognize the free rusher and at least throw a quick chip block.

My guess is that it was making a mistake in the protections based on the defense the Jets showed.

Erik Turner did some stuff about how complex it is, even for a running back.  They have to recognize what the D is showing and understand what that means for them as a blocking assignment.

40 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Big question is if Breida fumbled away his chance to participate more in this offense, would be kind of sad if he did.

I hope not.  I still think he can bring a different speed dimension to our backfield that we will need moving forward.

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

-Allen under center. 

-The use of Breida. 

-Variety of run plays.  

-Tons of PA.  

-The return of McKenzie/Davis.  

The Offense looked A LOT different. 

So am wondering, was that just because they decided to change things up or were Sanders and Beasley hurt, or game just out of hand by then so they sat?  It was kind of all at end of game, only a little scattered throughout, so that makes me wonder about injury?

Not as many dumb penalties, couple of the holding calls on Dawkins are bit concerning.  Just don't think he's 100%

Have no idea on the personal foul call against AJ, didn't see anything that looked bad on replay??

A fair amount of long pass completions too by Jets on 3rd and 4th downs that kept drives alive.

Also many long passes by Bills too for a change.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess is that it was making a mistake in the protections based on the defense the Jets showed.

Erik Turner did some stuff about how complex it is, even for a running back.  They have to recognize what the D is showing and understand what that means for them as a blocking assignment.

Yes. i don’t want to pile on Breida since it was clear to me he was on an angle route on that play I’m just suggesting he could have done something to slow the guy down at least. 

Other things could have gone wrong on that play, including things that were Josh Allen’s fault (possibly) including not adjusting protection, or audible into pass pro, etc…I think the color guy even mentioned after that play it was mostly on Josh not recognizing the rush from that side.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So am wondering, was that just because they decided to change things up or were Sanders and Beasley hurt, or game just out of hand by then so they sat?  It was kind of all at end of game, only a little scattered throughout, so that makes me wonder about injury?

Not as many dumb penalties, couple of the holding calls on Dawkins are bit concerning.  Just don't think he's 100%

Have no idea on the personal foul call against AJ, didn't see anything that looked bad on replay??

A fair amount of long pass completions too by Jets on 3rd and 4th downs that kept drives alive.

Also many long passes by Bills too for a change.

Well sanders had about 50 yards called back on penalties. So there’s that. They were out there plenty. Ball goes to the open man. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm worried that we will leave Breida inactive because of his fumble at the end. I hope not. He gives our run offense a new dimension.

Basically they activated Breida today in place of Kumarow.    Think Breida gets at least one more week

44 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Why is Singletary chopped liver?  Why aren't more people crying for him just to get more carries?  The guy isn't a bruiser but neither is Moss or Breida.  Every time he gets carries he produces.  He doesn't fumble.  I just don't understand why the guy isn't getting more than 7 carries a game.

He fumbled today, and recovered his own fumble fortunately.  At a point when the score was still close too.

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yes. i don’t want to pile on Breida since it was clear to me he was on an angle route on that play I’m just suggesting he could have done something to slow the guy down at least. 

Other things could have gone wrong on that play, including things that were Josh Allen’s fault (possibly) including not adjusting protection, or audible into pass pro, etc…I think the color guy even mentioned after that play it was mostly on Josh not recognizing the rush from that side.

I agree on not piling on Breida, but my point is that for a given called protection, it’s usually “on” the RB to recognize what the D is showing and what that means for what he’s supposed to do.  It’s entirely possible he was supposed to abandon his route and block, or chip then release and run the route.  When you get into it deeply it’s fascinating stuff, and the RBs have a lot on their plate to figure out.

It’s also possible it was the wrong protection call.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I also don’t think Singletary or Moss are fast enough on that TD reception by Breida to reach that opening in the D. 

I thought the exact same thing as the play was unfolding in real time!  A lot of the success was timing--getting down the field to critical points at critical times--and a slower guy wouldn't have done it.  Or at least it would have been harder to do.

As always, in all sports, there is so substitute for speed.

• Agree 1

Speaking about the offense only - The O clicked and got back on track because the O line showed up and wasn’t a friggin sieve. Jets have some good DTs and our line did it’s job in both path protection and running the ball. The running game with the backs is exactly what we need. Not ridiculous yards, but effective running which the Jets had to respect and it opens up the play action game and the entire offense. 

Everyone blaming Brieda on the Josh sack, we have no idea what the responsibilities are for him on that play. Josh obviously didn’t account for him and didn’t see him coming. Glad he wasn’t hurt and held onto the ball.

Daboll getting everyone involved in this game and featuring Diggs is exactly what we need. We have too many weapons not to spread the wealth but you have to feed your all pro WR. When Josh has a little time he more often than not makes the right throw. Against Jax he had zero time and like any QB, his clock got ticking faster and the game sped up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I like how the postgame thread is struggling for six pages after a blowout win. Last week I think we hit six pages in five minutes. 

And none of those posters are here.  I swear there are those who root for the Bills to lose just so they can complain and come out with their pitchforks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Can we get Moss a helmet that won’t pop off his head?

Almost for sure, his helmet is not sized (or fitted) correctly.  

No way in the world should it pop off like that.  It's HIS head in there; you would think he would want it to work as engineered.

A lot of NFL players have helmets that come off way too easily.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Excluding QB, 20 rushes for 139 yds is a capable run game.  Big difference between 28 passes, 20 rushes other than Allen vs. 47 passes, 9 rushes other than Allen.

Big difference between getting 139 yds rushing by backs and 4 rushing TD  as well as 366 yds passing and 2 passing TD vs. (in the MIA victory) no TD that didn’t involve JA and 47 rush yards by other players.

I agree. There's a lot to like. But between the first drive and last of the 1st half it was still a lot on Josh and not as run tough as I thought it was going to be. I'm not complaining here... just not fully what I expected. 

This defense showed me they are a lot tougher this year, even down Star. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.