Things Matt Millen said today without context (not that it would help)

Don't forget the time he tried to explain Moss's play via Einstein, Archimedes, and the laws of physics mass in motion.

At times he was funny, like a kooky old uncle. At other times, he was groan-worthy. Really bad.

Thing that drove me really nuts was that he kept pronouncing Gesicki's name with soft G, like "Jesicki". HE HAS A PRONUNCIATION KEY IN FRONT OF HIM!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

That was the worst time I've ever had watching the Bills beat down an opponent. If he said "good player" one more time, I was going to cry. How the Lions won 31 out of the 128 games that he was in charge of that franchise during is beyond me. I now have a new found sympathy for the Lions fans for enduring him through those years, and now have to face their abuser on national TV on a weekly basis. I think they have suffered enough, time to send this guy to the dog food factory. Get in the truck, Matt, we're going for a ride...

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

"That's stupid football"

"sometimes you have to play well......eventually"

"Do they even make fly paper anymore?"

"There's two ways to use speed. One is up and the other is across"

"Bills are trying to stick it right in there and end the game"

Called himself fat

asked if a dolphin had forward progress after it was clear they fumbled and 

bills recovered so it didn't matter anymore.

said the word "hip" or "hips"  a lot

Any thoughts?

He was so awful.  There was another time when Epinesa almost sacked Brisette and Rosseau got credit.  He used some weird acronym like “JOP” jumped on the pile.  

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He said some stuff that people will say is obvious or whatever.   Like they stopped them on every play….except busted coverages

I know it sounded stupid, but I knew exactly what he meant and he wasn't wrong.

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

What he wanted to say was "Let's see if the refs called him down due to his forward progress being stopped".  After I wtf'd, I figured it out and thought it was an insightful comment, inartfully expressed, given the refs propensity to bone us on turnover calls.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I mean he bumbled a bit, but I think it was so much better than listening to Collinsworth's ball-washing or just a plain boring commentator like Gannon.

When I start to get agitated by a guy like Millen, dierdorf, or booger... I stop and think about this point.  

These guys aren't polished... but they seem to love the sport and being there.  It comes across and is 100x more genuine than collinsworth polished "phoniness" which ends up boring and unremarkable.

I always remember goofy things millen/dierdorf/booger says long after the game and laugh.  I don't think that has to be a negative thing

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I always crack my kids up yelling “sprinkles” during that commercial.  That was genuine. 

That was part of why I enjoyed the broadcast.  I actually said "I like the sprinkles at the end" to my friend at the same time he did.  Then, no lie, I said "that's funny" at the same time he did when I noticed we said the same thing.  It was so bizarre I had to smile.

4 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

"That's stupid football"

"sometimes you have to play well......eventually"

"Do they even make fly paper anymore?"

"There's two ways to use speed. One is up and the other is across"

"Bills are trying to stick it right in there and end the game"

Called himself fat

said the word "hip" or "hips"  a lot

Any thoughts?

He was terrible.

The physics lesson was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from a football announcer. (I've heard dumber science "lessons" from politicians, but I won't go there.) First of all, it's Newton, not Einstein. Secondly, he said "It's mass, not weight." Dude, mass and weight are directly proportional; more mass means more weight. And the concept isn't relativity, it's momentum. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was one point where he was talking about good refs vs. bad refs (lol) and the way he started the discussion fell so flat, he was then clearly talking to himself and had no plan. It was awkward air...but then Matt just hard charged into it and made some point about how good refs watch the game or something.

I'd listen to him again, it was entertaining.

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He was so awful.  There was another time when Epinesa almost sacked Brisette and Rosseau got credit.  He used some weird acronym like “JOP” jumped on the pile.  

Wait you didn't like the JOP line lol it was gold. AJ missed the sack Groot got it and AJ jumped on late. He then said AJ is gonna fill the statline JOP on that play jumped on pile😂😂

I just found Matt to be useless.  It seemed obvious that both commentators were completely unfamiliar with both AFC teams and had nothing really relevant to add to the broadcast.

Millen was interesting in the fact that he talked and talked about unrelated things like an old school meathead and at many points was just rambling on about utter non-sense.  

At least he did not take himself to serious - he sounded more like a fan doing this for the first time than an actual long time NFL veteran with playing and front office experience.  If you just listened to him speak - I would have thought he maxed out at high school football and barely understood the NFL game.

The physics comments were just so out of left field, then the fart comment, dissing his fellow commentators yellow tie was another highlight, and then he got totally lost trying to explain a good referee versus a bad referee.  I was interested until once again about half way through the ref speech - he lost his point and was like a bad referee let’s the players decide the game.

He certainly wasn’t cliche’ and that is good, but he also was just talking to talk and gave little insight or even strong input. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

If you just listened to him speak - I would have thought he maxed out at high school football and barely understood the NFL game.

His performance as a GM leads to the same conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

also a physics lesson due to Zach Moss being an unstoppable object.

His physics was argle-bargle. He somehow got the speed of light into the equation for momentum. 

It was actually pretty funny, if you know any physics.