Cover 1: AJ Epenesa Rookie year transformation

I'm not kidding when I say that his continual development over the next couple years might be the most important factor in whether or not we win a super bowl in this era.

Interesting that he dropped so many LBs, given the initial commentary about him playing inside and out... Sounds like that might've been turd polishing and they dropped it pretty quickly...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Am I the only one that thought during some games he seriously flashed? There were a few sequences late in the season where I felt like he was always around the ball or making a play... I know he caught a lot of flack for not being an impact guy early on from some of the resident posters who believe your 7th round pick need to be elite or the draft is a bust... 

I felt like he showed a lot of promise later in the season. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 17

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Am I the only one that thought during some games he seriously flashed? There were a few sequences late in the season where I felt like he was always around the ball or making a play... I know he caught a lot of flack for not being an impact guy early on from some of the resident posters who believe your 7th round pick need to be elite or the draft is a bust... 

No, you weren't the only one. 

• Like (+1) 2

But but but... I read here that AJE was...  😁

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, TPS said:

No, you weren't the only one. 

Glad I’m not the only one... I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to get across the point that development is NOT LINEAR. Glad Cover1 said it here... same rule applies to Tremaine Edmunds. 

Yes, we need more consistency but development is not linear and does not happen the same for every player. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I'm not kidding when I say that his continual development over the next couple years might be the most important factor in whether or not we win a super bowl in this era.

Interesting that he dropped so many LBs, given the initial commentary about him playing inside and out... Sounds like that might've been turd polishing and they dropped it pretty quickly...

AJ is a key player, if he can develop into a quality edge rusher the future of the D-line is a lot brighter. I still think a pick in the first two rounds gets put into the D-line but AJ developing sets things up for the D-line nicely. 

He seemed to be on the cusp of really making an impact. My favorite aspect was he looks like he’s going to just be one of those guys who gets his hands up and bats some passes. Anytime I watched him and he wasn’t going to get to the quarterback he was right there with hands in the air. My favorite kinda interceptions are those tipped passes. 

And I agree with the glazed duck above, Epenesa and his development might be the biggest impact to a super bowl run for our defense 

3 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I mean. This is a bit dramatic.

I don't know what to think of AJ.  I guess I don't understand the weight loss.  Don't know if it was his decision or the teams either. 

He excelled in college as a bull rusher and disruption using his size and strength.   He's not athletic as his combine results showed that glaringly.   The thought was he's not going to be able to push around NFL offensive lineman like he did to the smaller college players. 

But hey it was his strength so I was interested to see if he could push the pocket in the NFL getting moved around the line.

Then the weight loss happened.   Now he's not big enough to do what he excelled at and he's still not athletic enough to be an edge rusher. 

Very interested to see how his career plays out because I agree that he got better.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mc1320 said:

He totally crashed and failed to set the edge on the big reverse to Tyreek Hill in the AFC Championship Game.

The whole damn team crashed and burned in that game. Do you have a point?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Thought he was excellent v the Chargers and his snap counts were pretty consistently up after that. Played well the last two weeks of the regular season too. By no means a guarantee that he kicks on in 2021 but his performances definitely ticked upwards down the stretch. The biggest thing for AJ is getting his body right. They asked him to drop weight, he dropped too much and then couldn't put a but back on in a sustainable way according to Beane. Get that right, maximise his functional strength and get a more normal training camp and pre-season behind him and he has a chance to take a big step.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

Don't know if it was his decision or the teams either.

Beane said in the video they asked him to drop down to 260 and he dropped to 250-255, I was confused about it myself because I thought he looked great as a bull rush guy. But he definitely progressed through the season, so hopefully after a year playing lighter he has a better idea of what his new body type can do. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t have a strong opinion on him other than I thought he was drafted higher than expected, but then again some of the prognosticators thought he was a steal.  He did improve throughout the year.

You’d think he should improve in year 2.  Part of the problem for all rookies is trying to have an impact with a training program like never before.

The final verdict on AJE as an NFL player has yet to be determined. I’m giving him a chance. I’ll admit to being a little confused why you draft a guy who needs to change to fit the mold of what the team wants. This franchise made AJE’s transition to the NFL more difficult than it already is for most players. He might be the guy who can do it, he’s just a bit of a project. 

Edited by SirAndrew

7 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Glad I’m not the only one... I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to get across the point that development is NOT LINEAR. Glad Cover1 said it here... same rule applies to Tremaine Edmunds. 

Yes, we need more consistency but development is not linear and does not happen the same for every player. 

I posted that right after the year ended. I think the kid has something.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

AND, let's remember Edmunds has been in the league 3 years AND HE'S ONLY 22 FREAKIN' YEAS OLD!! He turns 23 in a couple months....that's just absurd. To that end, like with Josh, I think the Bills Drafted Edmunds not for who he was, or even is, but for who he will become - seeing the raw, uncultivated talent he had in college and what they could do to get him to be an elite MLB. He played with an injured shoulder, we all know that, and he does need to get better - but thinking about how young he is and how he still has so much potential, despite playing well periodically, shows that he could be a terrific to all-time great Bills LBer if he makes some strong gains.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

AND, let's remember Edmunds has been in the league 3 years AND HE'S ONLY 22 FREAKIN' YEAS OLD!! He turns 23 in a couple months....that's just absurd. To that end, like with Josh, I think the Bills Drafted Edmunds not for who he was, or even is, but for who he will become - seeing the raw, uncultivated talent he had in college and what they could do to get him to be an elite MLB. He played with an injured shoulder, we all know that, and he does need to get better - but thinking about how young he is and how he still has so much potential, despite playing well periodically, shows that he could be a terrific to all-time great Bills LBer if he makes some strong gains.

The problem with Tremaine Edmunds is that Buffalo may never get the full return on his development.

By the time he finally blossoms into a true Pro-Bowl player and difference maker, he may be playing for a different team.

You ideally need your draft picks to start making an impact by late in Year 2 or early Year 3.  Especially those guys drafted in the 1st Round.

The front office has until May 3 to make the decision on picking up Edmunds 5th Year Option.  Which is a financial commitment they may not want to make, considering all of his ups and downs.

If the team decides to decline the options on Edmunds (very possible), then he's a free agent in 2022.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, glazeduck said:

The Bills have reached the place where they MUST start getting strong returns on their draft picks.

Otherwise, we aren't going to be a true contender in this league for long.

Jerry Hughes is getting older, and could see a drop-off at any time.  Mario Addison is already there, and is highly overpaid.  We probably don't have the cap space to make a huge splash in free agency for a pass rusher.  We absolutely NEED to get something from AJ Epenesa on the D-Line.  Next to him in the middle, this is the time for Ed Oliver to start playing like an impact Top 10 pick at defensive tackle.  On the other side of the ball, it's highly unlikely that we can keep both Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams.  Which means it's time for Cody Ford to step up and become a valuable part of the starting unit.

One of the marks of truly great teams... is the ability to let starters walk in free agency, and then replace them with a younger option... with little to no drop-off in play.

• Like (+1) 1

The most startling thing I saw on that that video is how much smaller Epenesa was last year versus in college.  Transitioning from college to the NFL is tough enough, but transitioning your body type at the same time has to be incredibly tough. 

25 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The problem with Tremaine Edmunds is that Buffalo may never get the full return on his development.

By the time he finally blossoms into a true Pro-Bowl player and difference maker, he may be playing for a different team.

You ideally need your draft picks to start making an impact by late in Year 2 or early Year 3.  Especially those guys drafted in the 1st Round.

The front office has until May 3 to make the decision on picking up Edmunds 5th Year Option.  Which is a financial commitment they may not want to make, considering all of his ups and downs.

If the team decides to decline the options on Edmunds (very possible), then he's a free agent in 2022.  

Very well said, as is your other post right below it. An NFL roster has significant turnover year to year. Player’s careers are typically short. The Bills need more than a couple of their draft picks to step it up. The guys they’re slated to replace are not immortal. It’s either that or with a franchise quarterback to pay you’re left to go fishing for other team’s cast offs. 

Yes, we have seen flashes from Epenesa, and I think that Johnson is another who shows promise as a defensive end.  Edge players are so expensive (either in draft capital or actual cash as a free agent) that it would be nice to develop one of our own.   I think the better move might be getting a stud one technique (Star back will help, but would like to see better and younger).  It would allow Oliver to play his natural position and also take pressure off the ends...and maybe one of these young guys will take the next step.  Of course, the best scenario might be the stud interior lineman PLUS a veteran DE on a one year prove it deal.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills have reached the place where they MUST start getting strong returns on their draft picks.

Otherwise, we aren't going to be a true contender in this league for long.

Jerry Hughes is getting older, and could see a drop-off at any time.  Mario Addison is already there, and is highly overpaid.  We probably don't have the cap space to make a huge splash in free agency for a pass rusher.  We absolutely NEED to get something from AJ Epenesa on the D-Line.  Next to him in the middle, this is the time for Ed Oliver to start playing like an impact Top 10 pick at defensive tackle.  On the other side of the ball, it's highly unlikely that we can keep both Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams.  Which means it's time for Cody Ford to step up and become a valuable part of the starting unit.

One of the marks of truly great teams... is the ability to let starters walk in free agency, and then replace them with a younger option... with little to no drop-off in play.

This doesnt make sense to me.  Now we need our draft picks to start giving returns???  Why not when we were 8-8, 9-7, 6-10...? 

That mark, of truly great teams that lets starters walk, is a franchise QB.  You have one of those (we do) you can let players walk, you can have draft picks not hit.  If your draft picks do hit then youre talking about super bowl and not just a playoff team because you have a franchise QB.

Edited by YattaOkasan

9 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

He totally crashed and failed to set the edge on the big reverse to Tyreek Hill in the AFC Championship Game.

Almost as if he was a rookie?

His strength and top-line speed was actually markedly subpar for his size heading into the draft, that's how he dropped to the bottom of round 2. Yet he still made impact plays consistently for Iowa with superior leverage and motor. The coaches had to tear him down to build his speed, and next comes building the strength. His development will be like Allen, I hope. Overwhelmed at times as a rookie, flashes and progression year 2, impact year 3.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Would be nice if Oliver, Ford, Epenesa, Knox and Moss take a step up this year.  

I’ll give the 3rd round guys a little bit of a pass, but the others have to show up, like right now. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just can’t believe he can’t gain a bunch of weight just living in Buffalo for a year. I’ve seen many a cute girl suffer that fate. 😞

Huh?  Who says he can't gain weight?