Kyler Murray being lambasted for lack of leadership by Bart Scott making him sound Jay Cutler-esque

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

As good as Allen plays on the field, his intangibles and what he does off the field are even better. Have you ever heard anything lile that about Allen? People rave about his leadership skills...Murray it seems like only is a good leader when times are good but disappears when the team actually NEEDS his leadership ability during tough times. Not a good sign.

This sounds pretty Jay Cutler like. Murray has all the talent in the world but he isn't going to do much if he doesn't learn how to be a better leader.

Quote from Bart Scott:

“This isn’t a one-off,” said Scott. “If you listen to some of his other interviews after they’ve lost, especially last year after a tough season, he doesn’t come off to me as a leader of men.”

Scott added, “I think he’s all about me because he doesn’t put the onus on himself. He puts it on ‘We have to do something better’ when the team struggles.

“That tells me he’s a finger pointer and not a thumb pointer. Listen, I said it first — Kyler Murray is not a leader of men and if this team hits adversity, they lose Fitzgerald, they ever have an injury to Hopkins, he’s going to come apart at the seams. He’s going to be one of those guys that goes out and spazzes out on a reporter. He’s going to be one of those guys. I know what I know and I know what I’m watching.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-leadership-struggles/

The kid looks like a spoiled brat when things are not going his way.  He pouts like a little kid.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would be skeptical of reading a guy's facial expressions and body language. Yes, sometimes it can tell a story but other time guys are just different.

I mean, Lamar Jackson smacks himself in the helmet and yells at himself out loud when something goes wrong! LOL

It's ok for players to have different personalities. We just saw our OL rock our WR to sleep as a TD celebration! 

People were skeptical of the same thing about Jay Cutler throughout his career but at the end of the day what did he win?

27 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Did Scott mention that he (Bart Scott) is one of those guys that goes out and spazzes on a reporter?  Why would you take character assessment from him, especially about a guy he doesn't seem to have any real personal knowledge of?

Maybe that is how he knows it.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

People were skeptical of the same thing about Jay Cutler throughout his career but at the end of the day what did he win?

Maybe that is how he knows it.

Maybe he's right, but I just question these types of stories. Time will tell, either way. 

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

I mean, is Tom Brady any different? He has verbally accosted coaches and teammates on the sidelines MANY times, and sulks into the locker room after losses. Yeah, he usually keeps his cool with the media, but Brady is not a likable teammate at all. Seemed to not deter him much through his career.

Big Ben has called out his own teammates over the years and seems pretty selfish and me first. He isn't much of a leader.

If Murray is good at playing football it doesn't really matter all that much. Yeah, it would be nice if he was a leader and boy scout, but not necessary.

He did that after winning 5 Super Bowls and proving himself over and over again on the biggest stage. He also would get after guys at practice and make sure they kept repeating something until they got it exactly right no matter how many reps it took.

But to a man players say Brady is an amazing leader. Getting in someone's face sometimes is part of it. 

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

That does not mean he is a leader.  It means the Bills did not play the hail mary properly.

Or... The Cards just got lucky.  

How have the Cards been playing since.  Obviously,  the three other teams watched film of that Bills game.  They shut him down last 3 games.  

2 hours ago, ALF said:

That perfect hail Mary pass in a win or lose pressure tells me he's the real deal.

It was luck

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Murray it seems like only is a good leader when times are good but disappears when the team actually NEEDS his leadership ability during tough times. Not a good sign.

This is how I’ve always described Cam Newton as well.....he sulks around like a five year old when things aren’t going well, but has no problem dancing around like a fool screaming “look at me” when he scores a meaningless TD.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

As good as Allen plays on the field, his intangibles and what he does off the field are even better. Have you ever heard anything lile that about Allen? People rave about his leadership skills...Murray it seems like only is a good leader when times are good but disappears when the team actually NEEDS his leadership ability during tough times. Not a good sign.

This sounds pretty Jay Cutler like. Murray has all the talent in the world but he isn't going to do much if he doesn't learn how to be a better leader.

Quote from Bart Scott:

“This isn’t a one-off,” said Scott. “If you listen to some of his other interviews after they’ve lost, especially last year after a tough season, he doesn’t come off to me as a leader of men.”

Scott added, “I think he’s all about me because he doesn’t put the onus on himself. He puts it on ‘We have to do something better’ when the team struggles.

“That tells me he’s a finger pointer and not a thumb pointer. Listen, I said it first — Kyler Murray is not a leader of men and if this team hits adversity, they lose Fitzgerald, they ever have an injury to Hopkins, he’s going to come apart at the seams. He’s going to be one of those guys that goes out and spazzes out on a reporter. He’s going to be one of those guys. I know what I know and I know what I’m watching.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-leadership-struggles/

These guys live under a microscope.  Any flaw gets exposed.  I'm not defending him, simply stating reality.  I actually cringe every time Josh or any other of our players get behind a mic.  The local media is pretty good but the national media always seems to toss in a couple of gotcha questions that one really needs to be thoughtful about answering.

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Sounds like a character assassination piece to me. He didn't cry when he was 6 down to Buffalo with under a minute to go. I can't speak to whether his character is douchey or not but he's only young and to be fair a large percentage of NFL players are probably douchey 

I would disagree. Bart Scott is known to say exactly what he thinks. Pre draft this was a very hot topic about KM. As of yet he’s not shown the type of leadership that is required to lead a SB caliber team. His body language is not good. He did an interview pre draft with Dan Patrick and it was really really bad. Guy is talented but not sure he has it. Good point on being young and immature I just agree with BS. I could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

I would disagree. Bart Scott is known to say exactly what he thinks. Pre draft this was a very hot topic about KM. As of yet he’s not shown the type of leadership that is required to lead a SB caliber team. His body language is not good. He did an interview pre draft with Dan Patrick and it was really really bad. Guy is talented but not sure he has it. Good point on being young and immature I just agree with BS. I could be wrong. 

Out of curiosity I looked up his pre-draft scouting report and arrogance and lack of leadership skills were mentioned.  I hate to criticize someone's personality without knowing them, but just watching them on the sidelines he comes across very pouty.

Here's the link to the report:  https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019kmurray.php

5 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

If you look close enough anyone's behaviour can be critiqued. If your point is to bathe in the reflected glory of the comparible culture of the two teams then yes I expect Buffalo is much better than Arizona under Kingsbury- see Spain, Quinton, for keeping things quiet  But human beings generally are flawed. I ask myself what is the motive behind this article. I am however pleased that Josh is likeable.

Seoul, well done sir. Nicely expressed. You are, like, a balanced-introspective- philosopher-king.

This board never ceases to amaze.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He seems so nice in the heisman commercials 

I can't understand why Tebow signed up to get crapped on like that does he need the money? does he have something in common with OBJ?

Overall this article comes across as looking for chinks in the armor during a bad stretch/sharks circling the raft.

6 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Sounds like a character assassination piece to me. He didn't cry when he was 6 down to Buffalo with under a minute to go. I can't speak to whether his character is douchey or not but he's only young and to be fair a large percentage of NFL players are probably douchey 

It's opinions like this that never get it!  That never have been part of top notch organizations.

These intangibles matter, we've had these sort of arguments on this board for years, it's this sort of view that is the same sort of view of not believing in "Process".  

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Wasn’t Bart Scott a known douche canoe who flipped fans the bird, got in fights with coaches, threatened reporters and taught teammates how to get costly unsportsmanlike conduct penalties?

So your sayin he knows how not to be a leader of men...😁

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He did that after winning 5 Super Bowls and proving himself over and over again on the biggest stage. He also would get after guys at practice and make sure they kept repeating something until they got it exactly right no matter how many reps it took.

But to a man players say Brady is an amazing leader. Getting in someone's face sometimes is part of it. 

There are different types of leaders. Brady can get away with getting in a guy's face and getting after them about putting in work because he is the hardest working guy on the team. If Kyler is the hardest working guy on the team, he will be okay. 

Not going to comment on Kyler Murray's character because honestly none of us know.  I do think that the Cardinals are basically following in the Browns footprints the last couple seasons of being anointed the hot new contenders before really proving anything.  As if NFL defenses were going to go "OH NO, NOT THE AIR RAID" and collapse.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Wasn’t Bart Scott a known douche canoe who flipped fans the bird, got in fights with coaches, threatened reporters and taught teammates how to get costly unsportsmanlike conduct penalties?

Think he was known as a really tough LB. As a broadcaster in an era where 90% want to be pals and or don’t want to lose player access. He doesn’t care. His opinion on KA is not wildly off base. 

1 hour ago, CardinalScotts said:

i have noticed the facial expressions towards other guys this season, but he seems to be well liked

That could just be gas?    🤷‍♂️

I won’t leap to judgment. 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

11 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

His pre-draft process where he spurned the A's and continued to stay vague as towards what sport he was committed towards rubbed me the wrong way from the start

He had an interview W/Dan Patrick that was so incredibly uncomfortable regarding what sport he was going to play, he also rubbed me the wrong way after that interview. He is incredibly fun to watch, but I wouldn't want him as my QB.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I could tell he was a "me first" type of guy just by his actions of baseball vs football.  When he was drafted by the A's in the first round (7th I believe, maybe?) he guaranteed them that he wasn't going to be playing football professionally.  The A's then let him play for a season after they had already signed him after the baseball draft and he does fantastic and then changes his tune.  Went from I guarantee I'm playing baseball to, oh, now I'm having a good football season I will completely shift gears and screw over the A's (who just lost that pick with no compensation since he actually signed a contract) because he saw greener pastures in the NFL.  B.S. move in my opinion (yes, I am an A's fan, full disclosure).  Show's me that he is 100% for himself and not a "team" mentality.

Plus, he just comes off as awkward to me in general.  Not sure what it is.  In all the interviews I see of him I just get a bad vibe from him every time.

There was also that interview where he just sat there and wouldn’t answer questions to commit to a sport and his dad was in the background answering the questions.

• Like (+1) 1