Kyler Murray being lambasted for lack of leadership by Bart Scott making him sound Jay Cutler-esque

Big Turk

Like others, his pre-draft process rubbed me the wrong way. That included the actions of his dad, trying to basically be his agent and manipulate the whole situation, kinda indicates a bad influence/poor upbringing. At least, as far as it contributes to being a leader of a football team.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Not defending him, but Kyler is young and could grow.  However, he does convey a sense of entitlement and arrogance.  As does his coach.  I am honestly not impressed with either.

I can roll with you on the first point.  How many young guys make some mistakes.  I’ll table judgement.  I don’t take a lot of stake in ex players as many have an agenda.  He may be a self centered son of a gun, amd maybe his coach is not guiding him well, but it could also be a lot of other things.

nothing against the op as a good topic of conversation.  I just don’t know.

I always felt like the body language narrative on Jay Cutler was unfair, and this notion that Murray isn't a leader has no basis in reality other than Bart Scott largely trying to get clicks.

Yeah, his pre-draft situation was very unique because he was so good at two sports that he was going to be a great prospect either way and wanted to wait until both drafts played out for deciding what to do.  But this is year two he is a good player. 

Arizona just didn't put it all together this year fast enough. They had an opportunity earlier in the year to stack wins, but ended up losing to a Carolina team that didn't have McCafferty then lost to Detroit. 

45 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Sounds like a character assassination piece to me. He didn't cry when he was 6 down to Buffalo with under a minute to go. I can't speak to whether his character is douchey or not but he's only young and to be fair a large percentage of NFL players are probably douchey 

He did get a little pouty when fitzgerald bounced that ball up in the air for the INT though...

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He kinda reminds of The Weeknd in the way he acts...

Not a good look when your Franchise QB is being compared to a moody, coked-out pop star.

That said, in my own opinion...

I've noticed the same thing Bart Scott has. There have been a couple of post game interviews after losses where I noticed a few red flags. Trying to dig up the videos. But it's there. Folks arent just making this up to hate on this kid.

Might not be a huge problem, but he doesnt seem to have the same charisma that makes the entire team want to rally around him like Josh does.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I would be skeptical of reading a guy's facial expressions and body language. Yes, sometimes it can tell a story but other time guys are just different.

I mean, Lamar Jackson smacks himself in the helmet and yells at himself out loud when something goes wrong! LOL

It's ok for players to have different personalities. We just saw our OL rock our WR to sleep as a TD celebration! 

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, is Tom Brady any different? He has verbally accosted coaches and teammates on the sidelines MANY times, and sulks into the locker room after losses. Yeah, he usually keeps his cool with the media, but Brady is not a likable teammate at all. Seemed to not deter him much through his career.

Big Ben has called out his own teammates over the years and seems pretty selfish and me first. He isn't much of a leader.

If Murray is good at playing football it doesn't really matter all that much. Yeah, it would be nice if he was a leader and boy scout, but not necessary.

Living in AZ I watch the Cards fairly closely and I have noticed that when things aren't going well he does walk around with his head down or has a down look on his face. He always reminds me of Joe Ferguson after something goes wrong.  I'm sure he can adjust, but I think it's a legitimate criticism now. It was interesting to see Hopkins body language this past weekend, now that was one unhappy player.

54 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Not defending him, but Kyler is young and could grow.  However, he does convey a sense of entitlement and arrogance.  As does his coach.  I am honestly not impressed with either.

How does he convey a sense of entitlement?

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Quote from Bart Scott:

He’s going to be one of those guys that goes out and spazzes out on a reporter. He’s going to be one of those guys. I know what I know and I know what I’m watching.”

Did Scott mention that he (Bart Scott) is one of those guys that goes out and spazzes on a reporter?  Why would you take character assessment from him, especially about a guy he doesn't seem to have any real personal knowledge of?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's worth remembering that sometimes young star players have literally never experienced much losing, especially if they came from big college programs.

Young players?  Even ancient players experience the problem when they are turned into losers... If you get my drift. 😉 

He’s the antithesis of Josh Allen. All we need to know about Allen’s leadership was on full display during his postgame interview on ESPN when a steady stream of teammates busted his chops on the way to the locker room. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1