We are not the best team but we can beat anyone

My favorite thing of this whole season may be most important. McDermott is no longer uber-conservative.

It could be he evolved. It could be he just listened and changed. It could be he figured we couldn't do stuff before and now he believes we can. But it's a huge difference. He doesn't just sit on the ball.

We HAD to pass in the fourth quarter and I thought we wouldn't. But McDermott allowed it. Daboll calls all the plays but McD is directly involved in important circumstances. And it won the game. If McDermott evolved into this he could be a great coach. 

He was not this guy before. Obviously Josh’s ascension mirrors McDermott’s. But some ultra-conservative guys stay that way. Great coaches don’t. I can’t wait to see what happens. I wasn’t confident before but am now. 

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My favorite thing of this whole season may be most important. McDermott is no longer uber-conservative.

It could be he evolved. It could be he just listened and changed. It could be he figured we couldn't do stuff before and now he believes we can. But it's a huge difference. He doesn't just sit on the ball.

We HAD to pass in the fourth quarter and I thought we wouldn't. But McDermott allowed it. Daboll calls all the plays but McD is directly involved in important circumstances. And it won the game. If McDermott evolved into this he could be a great coach. 

He was not this guy before. Obviously Josh’s ascension mirrors McDermott’s. But some ultra-conservative guys stay that way. Great coaches don’t. I can’t wait to see what happens. I wasn’t confident before but am now. 

Yeah I had the same thought. Could be he's transitioning from top shelf DC to a true HC. Hope so anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only team that finds ways to win and makes up for errors better than the Bills is the Chiefs. They are legitimately the only team I have doubts we can beat. I mean, we obviously could, but I think they would win it 7 out of 10 times against us.

There are other teams that are probably better than the Bills as well, but it's really close, and you know of the Bills come out and fire on all cylinders they could beat anyone.

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Last year he dives the ball 3 times up the gut before the half. Tonight, he got 3 points.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Allen has an uncanny ability to make people believe in him. Which sounds really schmaltzy on the face of it, but it's true. He showed up to Buffalo with most fans hating the pick and in a matter of 4 games the whole city was ready to die on a hill for him.

My point is that McDermott feels comfortable being aggressive because he genuinely believes that Allen will get the job done. Allen is as responsible for McDermott's growth as McDermott is for his.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think Allen has an uncanny ability to make people believe in him. Which sounds really schmaltzy on the face of it, but it's true. He showed up to Buffalo with most fans hating the pick and in a matter of 4 games the whole city was ready to die on a hill for him.

My point is that McDermott feels comfortable being aggressive because he genuinely believes that Allen will get the job done. Allen is as responsible for McDermott's growth as McDermott is for his.

That is because Allen might be the most clutch QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Not the best team but a damn good one. Even on nights we aren't that great we still move the ball. 12th straight game with 20+ first downs and we punt less than any team in the NFL with only 29 on the entire season.

Bills seem to be able to really shut teams down in the first half and build big leads and then kind of back off a little in the 2nd and trade scores. In fact, the Bills are tied with the Dolphins for allowing the fewest first half points with an average of only 9.3.

Would be nice to see them finish a little better but a lot of times the other teams are doing nothing other than putting up garbage time points and stats.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's starting to regularly go for it on 4th & short. That pleases me greatly.....I'd just like to see more urgency from our defense when we have a double digit lead. 

One thing that I liked is the Bills played to win. They didn't play conservative. Look at the play calling and the 4th down tries. This kind of attitude and experience should bode well in the playoffs. Play to win. Last year vs the Texans I didn't think we had that kind of attitude especially Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe he has ever been "ultra conservative" but his aggression in going for 4th downs has increased in direct correlation with his confidence in his Quarterback. And that is precisely how it should be. You go for lots of 4th downs with Tyrod Taylor you are just giving up field position. That has always been the flaw with the 4th down percentages argument that people make. Those numbers about them being made fail to take into account they are normally attempted by the teams with the better Quarterbacks they believe in to make them. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Right now.....rankings updated:

1. Chiefs 

2. Saints

3. Steelers

4. Packers 

5. Bills

6. Rams 

7. Colts 

8. Seahawks 

9. Browns

10. Tampa

Edit:  Dropping the Titans out  

Still think the Titans are better than the Colts. They are just a bit bipolar. For an "elite coach" Vrabel certainly churns out a few clunkers per season. 

If the Bills played the Packers straight up today I think the Bills win. We will see against the Steelers next week. The only two teams I think are decidedly above us at this stage are the Saints who are so good all around they can survive some well below average QB play and the Chiefs who are the reigning champs. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it is largely two factors:

1. He now has confidence in the offense in critical situations due to Allen’s growth and the WR talent infusion.

2. He is growing in the job.

Very encouraging all around.  

On any Given Sunday.

The NFC Least knocked off Seattle and the undefeated Steelers.  

The Chiefs struggled against Denver and Vegas.  As division rivals this happens.

Saints look pretty damn good.

Colts - Remaining schedule: at Raiders, vs. Texans, at Steelers, vs. Jaguars

Titans - Remaining schedule: at Jaguars, vs. Lions, at Packers, at Texans - from 5-0 to 8-4.  Are ya sure they are for real? 

Rams over Seattle?  Goff or Wilson? 

I Billieve!! 

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

On any Given Sunday.

The NFC Least knocked off Seattle and the undefeated Steelers.  

The Chiefs struggled against Denver and Vegas.  As division rivals this happens.

Saints look pretty damn good.

Colts - Remaining schedule: at Raiders, vs. Texans, at Steelers, vs. Jaguars

Titans - Remaining schedule: at Jaguars, vs. Lions, at Packers, at Texans - from 5-0 to 8-4.  Are ya sure they are for real? 

Rams over Seattle?  Goff or Wilson? 

Depends what "for real" means with Tennessee. Do I trust them? No. Do I think when they are on they are a handful? Yes. And I still think they take the division. If the Texans center could snap the ball Indy loses on Sunday to Deshaun Watson throwing to practice squad receivers - only one of their remaining 3 is a sure win IMO. I'd really like to play Indy in a wildcard game. They are a solid football team. But they don't scare me. Don't think anything about them is elite. When Tennessee is rolling their run game is elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea... also didn't look like they were sure they wanted to go for more points before the half with that run on first down until Josh made an excellent play. 

They handles that right, except for the 2nd timeout.... still not sure what happened there. Did they not stop the clock for Diggs going out or was there just confusion? Josh seemed to signal that something was on him but I wasn't sure that happened. Your first priority there up 7 is that the 49ers who are getting the ball to start the 2nd half don't get another shot before HT. So you start with a low risk play, a run, maybe a screen. When you then convert a 1st down on the throw to Beas you call your first timeout. They had 30 odd seconds left at that point and had they not seemed to waste the second time out they were in position to have 1 shot at the endzone and then kick the FG. Because they lost that time out though that chance disappeared. 

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

1. Chiefs 

2. Saints

3. Steelers

4. Packers 

5. Bills

6. Rams 

7. Colts 

8. Seahawks 

9. Browns

10. Tampa

Nah

1. Chiefs

2. Packers

3. Bills

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Its neither of those things, it’s what I said years ago when everyone was crying about how “conservative” his play calling was which was that the level of talent and trust in his players dictates the aggressiveness of the play calls. 

When he had a top 5 defense and a below average OL, putrid wide receivers and a very green QB you will naturally get a more “conservative” offense and play calling.   As the talent level has increased and QB play have improved his trust in his players have gone up and not coincidentally the aggressiveness in play calling has mirrored that.

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This shows why having a franchise QB is so important in todays NFL! The level of trust between staff and Josh opens the play book up, especially at critical moments.

How I THINK the Bills stack against other AFC playoff teams:

Chiefs — that O is the best in the NFL and the D is average but all they usually have to do is make 1 or 2 stops. (Bills could win but odds against it)

Steelers — their O is average but their D is amazing.  They would make it tough on Allen be interesting to see if he would make mistakes from the pressure. (This is more of a toss up, IMO depends on how well the Bills O line protects) Toss up

Colts — Great D and an average O. I would say the Bills should handle them easily. My only concern would be a slow start and allowing the Colts D focus on pass rushing.   But odds in bills favor.

Titans — is there a harder team get a read on than the Titans? Their secondary is trash but man they never give up no matter how much they are down by! (Should have made that huge comeback against the Steelers but were robbed by a bad PI, and another amazing comeback just short Sunday!) this should be a blowout, but don’t take your foot off the gas or they could bite you in the butt! I dare say one of the better coached teams in the NFL.  (Odds in Bills favor)

Raiders — inconsistent and come on should have lost to the (snicker) Jets! (Be a huge upset if Bills loss to them!)

Miami — very good D, very good Special Teams and meh Offense.  Fact I am talking about them as a playoff team one year after tanking for Tua is amazing! But the Bills should smash them too. They will be scary next year after they get more weapons for Tua. Also IMO a well coached team (huge upset if Bills loss )

so outside of KC and Pitt you should be favored against anyone else you face in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

1. Chiefs 

2. Saints

3. Steelers

4. Packers 

5. Bills

6. Rams 

7. Colts 

8. Seahawks 

9. Browns

10. Tampa

We are as good as the Packers.  Their defense is not stopping us.   And the Steelers are frauds.  They barely beat the Cowboys a few weeks ago.  And they put up 36 pts combined against the Ravens and Redskins.  If we give Josh time against the Steelers pass rush, we will win by at least 10 next Sunday nite.  Only two teams that are better then us right now are the Chiefs and Saints.  But we can play w them too.  Still need better play from the D Line.  Although was nice to see Vernon Butler play well last nite.  Our offense is as good as any in football.   

I think some of the fanbase needs to realize there's no "perfect" Championship contending team.   Every team is covering holes.  But this team can beat any team in the league and win games in multiple different ways.  That's the mark of a championship contender.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think this is it. We weren't good enough to do it. Now, we are. But it does also show that he is growing as a head coach.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My bad.  Didn't see that this was primarily Mcd thread.  I started one too.  Dude was super aggressive and has trust now in josh.   

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends what "for real" means with Tennessee. Do I trust them? No. Do I think when they are on they are a handful? Yes. And I still think they take the division. If the Texans center could snap the ball Indy loses on Sunday to Deshaun Watson throwing to practice squad receivers - only one of their remaining 3 is a sure win IMO. I'd really like to play Indy in a wildcard game. They are a solid football team. But they don't scare me. Don't think anything about them is elite. When Tennessee is rolling their run game is elite. 

They're a bit like buffalo in that they flipped from being a run first play defense team to a top 10 offense.  But while buffalos defense seems to have improved in recent weeks, the titans may have somehow gotten worse.  No pass rush at all, still a historically bad 3rd down defense. 

Their offense is legit, and they won't turn it over 3 times very often (like they did against cleveland).  

A cleaner game against tennessee would be a great game either way - I do think our Bills would want to prove that they're capable of beating them.

30 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think some of the fanbase needs to realize there's no "perfect" Championship contending team.   Every team is covering holes.  But this team can beat any team in the league and win games in multiple different ways.  That's the mark of a championship contender.

Indeed. In fact other than KC and New Orleans I am not sure any other team has as many different ways to win as the Bills do. Green Bay wins basically one way, Pittsburgh similarly. Tennessee when they win usually one way, Seattle can only win throwing all over the yard.... the Bills are more versatile than a lot of teams. 

Riverboat Ron 2.0? Rivera was known as a conservative defensive-minded coach for a few years and then morphed into a more successful and aggressive leader who was an asset on gamedays rather than a hindrance. Who was his DC? Sean McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Riverboat Ron 2.0? Rivera was known as a conservative defensive-minded coach for a few years and then morphed into a more successful and aggressive leader who was an asset on gamedays rather than a hindrance. Who was his DC? Sean McDermott. 

You know when he turned into "Riverboat Ron"? Cam Newton's 3rd year. When he could trust his Quarterback. This is Josh Allen's 3rd year. 

• Like (+1) 2

Arguably my favorite play of the game:

5:00 left with a 17 pt lead and a 1st down inside our own 20.

Do we jam it up inside for no gain just to make SF cook off a timeout?

No!

With a 17 pt lead and 5:00 to play, Allen drops into the pocket on 1st down looking to attack a defense that is crowding the LOS.

That was just a beautiful moment that underscored how far this team has come and how dangerous they may turn out to be.

• Like (+1) 5