RIP Sam Wyche

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

RIP Great offensive mind too bad could never get it done with the Bengals or coach up JP Losman to his athletic abilities. 

certainly agree.....Donohole rushed Wacky Sm and his development to CYA for what Tom Terrific gave up for the Losman pick.....RIP Sam...WAY too young.......

I always had the upmost respect for Sam.  Innovative offensive mind.  Buffalo fans often think we started the no huddle game as was done so well in those days, but Sam was doing it Cincy in the 80’s, and I believe although they lost, think they made it two SB.  Wasn’t easy to beat SF and Montana back then.

RIP Sam.

• Like (+1) 1

December 18th, 1989.  Bengals vs. Oilers, 21 seconds left in the game.  Bengals line up and kick a last-second field goal, winning the game by a score of 61-7.  This is after, in the third quarter, having scored a TD to take a lead of 45-0, on the ensuing kickoff the Bengals recover the onside kick.  

When asked why he ran up the score, Sam Wyche replied "I just don't like Jerry Glanville."

EDIT: Onside kick.  Preceded by the wonderfully pithy observation "You can't look much worse than this."  :lol:

The final field goal.  After which, the play-by-play announcer says "This would be the perfect time for an onside kick."  Which is followed by...the Bengals kicking an onside kick.

RIP, you magnificent bastard.  :lol:

Edited by DC Tom
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

I always had the upmost respect for Sam.  Innovative offensive mind.  Buffalo fans often think we started the no huddle game as was done so well in those days, but Sam was doing it Cincy in the 80’s, and I believe although they lost, think they made it two SB.  Wasn’t easy to beat SF and Montana back then.

RIP Sam.

Well said, but just to clarify one of your points I believe Forrest Greg wascoach of the Bengals for their first Super Bowl, against the Niners in 1981.

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

RIP.

Wyche was an entertaining coach, sure was fun back in the day when he and Glanville were butting heads.

I miss the old AFC Central with its colorful Head Coaches.  It was just worth it to watch the end of a game and see if Noll would shake hands or give dirty stares to Wyche or Glanville.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember him flipping out and running onto the field during a MNF game against the Bills at Rich Stadium. It was the game where Kelly had 3 INT’s to start the game and then the Bills turned it on and whipped Cincy.

Loved the guys fire and seemed like a nice man. RIP, Mr. Wyche. You will be missed.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Dang RIP.  Crazy he died from cancer - after living through degenerative heart disease for years and getting successful heart transplant a few years ago

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/11/24/sam-wyche-nfl-coach-heart-transplant-thanksgiving