Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

I expect the Bills to come out throwing and attack the perimeter of thee Jets defense  Jets are missing some pieces and Bills have advantage in continuity retaining their coaching staff  Think Bills sneak one out

Yep our game plan should be pass the ball as much as possible. Adams is their only DB that scares me. Their LBs are decent at stopping the run but can't cover.  Keep the pocket clean and pass like crazy. Should be a win IF we get the good Josh Allen. I think our defense will have a tougher time than people think. Darnold to Anderson is going to be a tough connection to stop. They're going to get their points. Offense will need to keep the pedal to the floor.

Edited by HappyDays

I can't wait to see this game...two teams that went QB in the 2018 Draft...both kind of projected in that same middle of the pack zone...I'm really looking forward to watching Josh Allen....I want to see what the whole operation looks like with the roster moves made to give Josh a better chance to perform.  I'm hoping he does well and I'll be rooting for a Bills win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Our defense is too good. Bell has a decent day but our pressure forces a few Darnold ints. Offense is balanced and safe. 24-13 Buffalo 

bell fumbles twice. first from a hard hit from poyer. 2nd time from the beast himself, mr edmunds

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Nice, you contained your inner ####### until your second post of the season. That's pretty good restraint for a jests fan.

Who are you?

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, same here. Hopefully we will be fighting for division titles again starting this year.  I am so ready for the end of the Patriots* reign. Time to let those fair weather fans wallow in the division cellar where they belong. I can’t wait to see all the fake fans abandon ship once the losing begins.

Respect

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, if you're gonna hang here, please read the TOS and understand our traditions:
https://tinyurl.com/78s7vh

Trust me, I do, might want to talk with some.of your posters, I havent violated the tos at all

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, if you're gonna hang here, please read the TOS and understand our traditions:
https://tinyurl.com/78s7vh

Lol, sorry, responded without clicking the link

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I’ll admit I’m nervous about this one for a few reasons...

1) Divisional Road game to open the season

2) I think Darnold is going to be very good.

3) Bell but also their other weapons. Enunwa, Anderson, and Crowder is a good trio of receivers.

4A) Our offensive line having enough chemistry and providing Allen with time to throw.

4B) Gregg Williams’ Defensive system putting pressure on Allen.

Reasons for Hope:

1) Our organization as a whole looks a lot more structurally sound. McDemott’s 3rd year, Allen has Daboll for 2nd year in a row. Defense returning 10-11 starters.

2) Jets cut a good kicker and then looking for a new kicker

3) Jets signed their starting center half way through camp, out of retirement.

4) Jets cut their 3rd Round Pick before the season starts,

5) Jets lost one of their key players to injury (Williamson) for the season to injury

6) Jets lost two players to suspension Copeland and Herndon. 

Overall I'm hopeful for a victory and think they’ve done a solid job putting together a competent, competitive roster. But I won’t be TOO disappointed if we lose week 1. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MassHog said:

Personally, I think it's hard to say Darnold is better than Allen. When you account for what Allen can do on the feet, i'd say based off last years numbers they're pretty even. 

Darnold had 18 touchdowns (including rushing) and 15 interceptions last year in 13 games. Josh Allen had 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 12 games. 

I really only see them being convincingly better than us at RB and Punter? WRs seem like a pretty even match up, as does Offensive Line since both teams have completely retooled their lines.  Jamal Adams may be a better player than Hyde and Poyer, but the tandem of Hyde and Poyer is better than Adams and Maye. Tre'Day is infinitely better than any corner on their team, our Linebackers are definitely better, and I think I would take Jerry Hughes over any pass rusher on their team. 

Right now Sam Darnold is better than Josh Allen. Sam is just as mobile as Allen he just doesn’t do it as often. Allen is bigger and he can get you the TD rushing in the red zone better than Darnold but right now as pure passer Darnold is better as he should be due to better private coaching up to this point. Long term Allen hopefully will be the better player

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Right now Sam Darnold is better than Josh Allen. Sam is just as mobile as Allen he just doesn’t do it as often. Allen is bigger and he can get you the TD rushing in the red zone better than Darnold but right now as pure passer Darnold is better as he should be due to better private coaching up to this point. Long term Allen hopefully will be the better player

I'd say right now it's statistically insignificant in their differences. The one area, maybe, is decision making, maybe. You've got to frame every comment about Allen last year by reminding people just how poor the o-line play was, and how deficient we were in skilled offensive positions. All that has changed now, so Allen will not need to play "hero" ball. Thus, this year will be a much better indicator of his mental processing.

As for him versus Darnold, I'd say it's a draw after one season, both have areas to improve upon, and both had some highlight reel things as well.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yep our game plan should be pass the ball as much as possible. Adams is their only DB that scares me. Their LBs are decent at stopping the run but can't cover.  Keep the pocket clean and pass like crazy. Should be a win IF we get the good Josh Allen. I think our defense will have a tougher time than people think. Darnold to Anderson is going to be a tough connection to stop. They're going to get their points. Offense will need to keep the pedal to the floor.

...and from NFLN...

Terrell Davis-JETS; Wiiliam's pressure D is too much for Allen to handle (Davis called Bills QB situation as "potentially disastrous")

MJD-JETS; gut feel (maybe gas?)

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Again, maybe at reading defenses, but neither calls their own plays... Josh can fit it tight windows better... and it looks even with the tight ends the Bills have give Josh a better group of receivers to work with.  So to me Josh's athleticism, arm and then we will see about consistency of both.  I think it really is hard to tell right now and both play different styles...

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

This is the Andre Roberts revenge game.  Andre will make the Jets pay.  He is the main reason they won Bills-Jets part II last year and now he is ours. 

I think STs could be what decide an ugly, low scoring-ish game. I like that the Jets have been looking everywhere for a kicker, and only just recently settled (again)--maybe they miss a FG that makes the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MassHog said:

I am really curious.... What positions do you guys honestly think that the Jets actually are better than the Bills?

Perhaps a more productive question is where are the matchups? I really don’t know much about the new Jets. 

Edited by Max Fischer

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

That boy is good !   Those Dolphins are tough 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

we'll find out soon enough who the better QB is, now wont we. to say either is better then the other right now, is only basing it on maybe some past stats. those past stats are just that, past. we are in the now, present, and one can not say with certainty who the better QB is, but we're sure going to find out come sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

we'll find out soon enough who the better QB is, now wont we. to say either is better then the other right now, is only basing it on maybe some past stats. those past stats are just that, past. we are in the now, present, and one can not say with certainty who the better QB is, but we're sure going to find out come sunday.

I don't think one game will determine who is better?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nucci said:

I don't think one game will determine who is better?

it will determine who the best QB is, in that game, on sunday. unless of course you're going to excuse the QB of either team as any reason they win or lose. my point is, we will see who the better QB is, come SUNDAY!

I think it has the potential to be a very competitive game.

The Jets have a lot of talent at the skill positions (TE excluded). By now you all know that I was a Robby Anderson guy from his Temple days (the bowl game in which he handled then-Houston corner William Jackson sold me for good). Enunwa can make plays down the field, and Crowder is a shifty inside slot guy. Their top 2 RBs are as good a tandem as you'll find outside of Cleveland.

We've studied Darnold enough to know him well. He can make any throw and he's athletic. The key with him is taking advantage of his mistakes with the football and committing to covering longer on broken plays.

Their OL can be had. The OTs aren't great pass protectors, and who knows how much Osemele (who I loved by the way) and Kalil have left in the tank.

Defensively, they're on year 184 in a row without anything resembling an EDGE threat (or at least it feels that way). The front 3 are solid, but the corner group is lackluster for my taste.

Buffalo will need to be very effective at pressuring Darnold and staying sticky in the secondary. Offensively, Allen needs to stay in rhythm and let his WRs win their 1-on-1 matchups.

My biggest concern is that the game could come down to special teams. Because our coverage units are generally terrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it has the potential to be a very competitive game.

The Jets have a lot of talent at the skill positions (TE excluded). By now you all know that I was a Robby Anderson guy from his Temple days (the bowl game in which he handled then-Houston corner William Jackson sold me for good). Enunwa can make plays down the field, and Crowder is a shifty inside slot guy. Their top 2 RBs are as good a tandem as you'll find outside of Cleveland.

We've studied Darnold enough to know him well. He can make any throw and he's athletic. The key with him is taking advantage of his mistakes with the football and committing to covering longer on broken plays.

Their OL can be had. The OTs aren't great pass protectors, and who knows how much Osemele (who I loved by the way) and Kalil have left in the tank.

Defensively, they're on year 184 in a row without anything resembling an EDGE threat (or at least it feels that way). The front 3 are solid, but the corner group is lackluster for my taste.

Buffalo will need to be very effective at pressuring Darnold and staying sticky in the secondary. Offensively, Allen needs to stay in rhythm and let his WRs win their 1-on-1 matchups.

My biggest concern is that the game could come down to special teams. Because our coverage units are generally terrible.

....equally important IMO is the "brand new" OL being up to the task of protecting Allen......pretty sure Greggy will dial up multiple blitz packages....

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....equally important IMO is the "brand new" OL being up to the task of protecting Allen......pretty sure Greggy will dial up multiple blitz packages....

I don't worry as much about the OL because Greggo's teams have often been flummoxed by QBs that can get the ball out quickly to shifty WRs. But if Allen isn't in rhythm, then yeah, the importance of the OL holding up gets magnified.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills are actually underdogs on the road.  I expect the Bills Defense to win the first 3 games against 3 very bad football teams.  The offense will do what it needs to do and gain some confidence. Bills will be very tough second half of  season once that offense begins to gel.