Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

What’s good, gents? What’s good? YE OLE would like to extend a thank you to all of those posting updates from the media. Does anyone know of any stations with any live coverage today? I realize it’s Labor Day, but given the fact that this is day 1 of a normal game week, I thought WGR would have something. Obviously YE OLE was mistaken. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You do realize that 25% is not zero percent I assume. Maybe not.  But your chances are more than twice as great if you win week one. 

This is a Bills fans myth.  We want to think the Patriots have owned us for some reason beyond having better talent and coaching. 

Great coaching, excellent talent and proclivity to break rules to get further advantage is truly a recipe to build and maintain a dynasty.  It really has been a combination of all 3. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I expect the Bills to come out throwing and attack the perimeter of thee Jets defense  Jets are missing some pieces and Bills have advantage in continuity retaining their coaching staff  Think Bills sneak one out

I’m anticipating the same thing. What little we saw of Allen in the preseason was a commitment to the short passing game. With the Jets vulnerable Secondary, this is a good way to get tempo up and then intermix runs. Bell is(was?) a game breaking back and worthy of respect. I’m counting more on their perceived weak OL that they’ll struggle running early, which is the surprise I think they want to spring. Still, our OL continues to be a struggling work in progress and crossing the goal line vs. FG’s will determine the winner, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Greg Williams worries me a little bit. Personnel wise I don't the Jets are really stacked on defense. But JA better be ready to play going against Greg Williams.

His method worries me as well.

good thing we have some Bad Boys up front to look after Josh (who is no slouch )

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I can't agree with this. Allen wasn't just some mobile QB last year. Allen, for a six game stretch, was the best mobile QB the league has ever seen. Right there with a stretch that Mike Vick put together. Darnold's talents as a runner are nowhere near Allen's level.

Will Allen pick up where he left off last year in his final six games? Maybe not. But we know he at least has the talent and skills and can use them at any point of a game. Also, if we figure he rushes less this year then we should figure he passes more and with better efficiency this year in his second season with a better receiving core. Lower rushing numbers, but not necessarily efficiency should hopefully correlate with greater passing numbers and passing efficiency in his second year.

It's a wash for me. I do like Darnold's intangibles but Allen has skills that no other QB in the league has shown yet.

He had those rushing yards because he couldn’t make the right reads. I can tell you really don’t watch games around the league. Yes Josh is a nice talent but he is far from the greatest mobile quarterback ever trust me. Forget ever I can name at least 5 qb in the league who if they wanted to run could run  like Josh could. 

Now again don’t get it twisted long term again Josh Allen I feel will be better than Darnold. He just needs to be more consistent reading defense and making great passes.

BTW What makes Allen tough to defend is he can run plus he has rocket arm. Most QB don’t have both. That’s why Allen’s running lanes are so hugh

Edited by Protocal69

59 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

What’s good, gents? What’s good? YE OLE would like to extend a thank you to all of those posting updates from the media. Does anyone know of any stations with any live coverage today? I realize it’s Labor Day, but given the fact that this is day 1 of a normal game week, I thought WGR would have something. Obviously YE OLE was mistaken. 

Getting in line for the rollercoaster ride that is named Buffalo Bills

Hang on Pops !!

16 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

He had those rushing yards because he couldn’t make the right reads. I can tell you really don’t watch games around the league. Yes Josh is a nice talent but he is far from the greatest mobile quarterback ever trust me. Forget ever I can name at least 5 qb in the league who if they wanted to run could run  like Josh could. 

Now again don’t get it twisted long term again Josh Allen I feel will be better than Darnold. He just needs to be more consistent reading defense and making great passes.

BTW What makes Allen tough to defend is he can run plus he has rocket arm. Most QB don’t have both. That’s why Allen’s running lanes are so hugh

No you can't.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Two fan bases are going to learn a lot about their teams in 2019 in this one. 

Right.  This is a HUGE game for both teams.  They both hope to challenge the Patriots this year.  They both want the playoffs.  It's important because it's the first game.  It's important because it's an important division rival.  It's important to see your young QB can deliver.  Winner has a big leg up over the loser in the division race and the playoff race.   

Big game.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I think this is right.   Not necessarily about the right reads; I'm sure there were times when he made the right reads and no one was open.   And he was taught that if the D was man to man in certain plays, he should take advantage of the opportunity - sort of a pass-run option.  

But whatever the reason, he is not a gifted ball carrier, not like Tyrod or like some others around the league.   I think his rushing yards will be way down this season.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.  This is a HUGE game for both teams.  They both hope to challenge the Patriots this year.  They both want the playoffs.  It's important because it's the first game.  It's important because it's an important division rival.  It's important to see your young QB can deliver.  Winner has a big leg up over the loser in the division race and the playoff race.   

Big game.  

I hear this narrative but I think the Bills have a much stronger claim on being in position to challenge for division/wildcard than the Jets tbh. Buffalo one season removed from playoffs after a down year w/rookie QB injuries that finished 6-10...Jets same story w/rookie QB injuries but two years running last place in AFCE, 5-11 in 2017 and 4-12 in 2018. No legit reason to think Jets' future is any brighter than Buffalo's that I can see, there isn't enough Darnold>Allen evidence to make that the only factor.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I think this is right.   Not necessarily about the right reads; I'm sure there were times when he made the right reads and no one was open.   And he was taught that if the D was man to man in certain plays, he should take advantage of the opportunity - sort of a pass-run option.  

But whatever the reason, he is not a gifted ball carrier, not like Tyrod or like some others around the league.   I think his rushing yards will be way down this season.  

Are you talking about Allen? 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's hard to imagine what Devin is going thru today.  The first practice after the roster cut down must be very strange for all of the rookies.

I would bet the mood is so different and hopefully the vets (Gore/Yeldon/DiMarco, for Devin) set a proper tone on the eve of a new season.

The top rookies (Oliver/Ford/Devin/Knox) will be getting a lot of snaps and their thoughts must be going thru a myriad of scenarios.

As for Devin and the RB position in particular, I am very interested on how he will be used the first game.  I don't know if Dabol and McD want

him to come out as the #1 RB right out of the gate OR will they start Frank on the 1st snap and bring in Devin a little slower.

I for one prefer to start him out with a little patience.  Gore is a vets vet and has seen it all.  He over performed on 1st down with the Fish last year.

The line is new and needs to "get together" themselves and throwing Devin out there too soon risking a few TFLs and messing with his

confidence is a little risky in my mind.  It's a long 16 game season for rookies!

These are the days that try "rookies" souls.  Good Luck to all the young guys.

Go Bills!