Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

Outside of Jamal Adams, the Jets secondary is quite poor, and this is where we could expect some good matchups. As long as Allen gets enough time to throw more than five yards beyond the LOS, I think we could see a lot of production from Zay, and McKensie, (and hopefully Foster!) with the assumption that Adams is going to be covering Brown. There are a lot more intelligent posters on there than me, and I'd be interested in hearing what they think is going to be the Jets basic D scheme. Cover 2 with Adams playing man?

I think their offense is going to be tough, actually. My best hope is that Bell has plenty of rust to knock off, because he could really be the difference maker. I hope we pressure Darnold early, and often. We have a truly great secondary, but they're not going to get a lot of help from out linebackers if they have to work too hard to contain Bell. And the Jets' WRs are decent. Just my thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Outside of Jamal Adams, the Jets secondary is quite poor, and this is where we could expect some good matchups. As long as Allen gets enough time to throw more than five yards beyond the LOS, I think we could see a lot of production from Zay, and McKensie, (and hopefully Foster!) with the assumption that Adams is going to be covering Brown. There are a lot more intelligent posters on there than me, and I'd be interested in hearing what they think is going to be the Jets basic D scheme. Cover 2 with Adams playing man?

I think their offense is going to be tough, actually. My best hope is that Bell has plenty of rust to knock off, because he could really be the difference maker. I hope we pressure Darnold early, and often. We have a truly great secondary, but they're not going to get a lot of help from out linebackers if they have to work too hard to contain Bell. And the Jets' WRs are decent. Just my thoughts.

The matchups I'm going to be watching are the QB/MikeLB...Allen v Mosley and Darnold v Edmunds. Winner of those is going to be the difference in the game imo. Rest of the rosters are a wash for me unless either Bell goes off or our dline dominates.

Fug it, guys.  This is going to be the coming out party for YOUR 2019 BUFFALO BILLS.  Everyone "scared" by the Jets' offense and their overrated coaching staff will have their fears put to rest.  Darnold is a nice player but he's going to have Ed Oliver in his grill from the get go.  Bell doesn't realize how good he had it in Pittsburgh...no dancing around waiting for holes to open here.  Bills win in a game that is not as close as the final score indicates...Buffalo 23, New Jersey (A) 13.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Adams is a S, the only guys hed man up on are TEs.

Adams is so good not because he can man up on WR but because he can do EVERYTHING well. He can line up 5 yards from the LoS and play the run like a LB or blitz. They move him all around and Allen will have to account form his whereabouts before every snap,

The Bills dream of Adams lining up outside with Brown all game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, BarleyNY said:

Two fan bases are going to learn a lot about their teams in 2019 in this one. 

Maybe.  In the last 10 seasons the Bills won their opening games in:

2017 -- won opener against Jets, were 5-2, and finished 9-7

2015 -- won opener, finished 8-8

2014 -- won first 2, finished 9-7

2011 -- won first 3,  were 4-1 and then 5-2 before they collapsed to finish 6-10

7 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

we'll find out soon enough who the better QB is, now wont we. to say either is better then the other right now, is only basing it on maybe some past stats. those past stats are just that, past. we are in the now, present, and one can not say with certainty who the better QB is, but we're sure going to find out come sunday.

Not necessarily.  We may find out which QB is better in that one game.  We might also find out which QB is less incompetent in that game.  We could also find out that they're about equal, whether for the good or the bad.  The thing is that 1 game isn't going to tell us much about either QB long term.

6 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

The Bills are actually underdogs on the road.  I expect the Bills Defense to win the first 3 games against 3 very bad football teams.  The offense will do what it needs to do and gain some confidence. Bills will be very tough second half of  season once that offense begins to gel.

Why do you assume that the Jets are a "very bad" team?  Everything that I've heard or read about the Jets suggests that they're about at the same level as the Bills.  Opening the season against a division rival is always dicey.   Sometimes the future Super Bowl champ takes it on the chin from a divisional rival that wins only 3 or 4 games the rest of the season.

6 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Bills have best defense in the NFL. Sure the Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, and Jacksonville are elite defenses, but Oliver is the game-changer. I am not a Ravens defense believer.  The Bills defense will get turnovers this year. Lots of them.

Until they prove it, the Bills are hardly "the best defense in the NFL".  They were ranked #2 in yardage and #1 in passing yards but only #7 in interceptions, #16 in rushing yards, #18 in scoring defense, and  #26 in sacks.  Their red zone defense sucked, and they couldn't get off the field late in games because they didn't have much of a pass rush and were susceptible to the run. 

Edited by SoTier

1 hour ago, eball said:

Fug it, guys.  This is going to be the coming out party for YOUR 2019 BUFFALO BILLS.  Everyone "scared" by the Jets' offense and their overrated coaching staff will have their fears put to rest.  Darnold is a nice player but he's going to have Ed Oliver in his grill from the get go.  Bell doesn't realize how good he had it in Pittsburgh...no dancing around waiting for holes to open here.  Bills win in a game that is not as close as the final score indicates...Buffalo 23, New Jersey (A) 13.

I’ll be surprised if Bell does much on Sunday. I don’t see how a running back can go 19 months without playing in the NFL and being very effective his first time out. I don’t care how many practice reps he gets, it’s just not the same speed and intensity. 

Im still more concerned with Bell than I am Gregg “manboobs” Williams, though. All due respect to Jamal Adams, he’s  got a crap back seven given his corners and LBs. But I suspect he’s aware of that, too, which is why I think he will be more conservative than everyone is thinking. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ll be surprised if Bell does much on Sunday. I don’t see how a running back can go 19 months without playing in the NFL and being very effective his first time out. I don’t care how many practice reps he gets, it’s just not the same speed and intensity. 

Im still more concerned with Bell than I am Gregg “manboobs” Williams, though. All due respect to Jamal Adams, he’s  got a crap back seven given his corners and LBs. But I suspect he’s aware of that, too, which is why I think he will be more conservative than everyone is thinking. 

My concern about G Williams is how he asks his players to play each down and being borderline illegal with hands etc.
This will show up in the trenches.
Punch their faces in early and the Bills will own the game.

and we have the Boys to get that done. 

Run the heavy package and punish them up front with Gore 

Then let Singletary do his thang. then Foster and Brown can get crazy

Edited by 3rdand12

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Not necessarily.  We may find out which QB is better in that one game.  We might also find out which QB is less incompetent in that game.  We could also find out that they're about equal, whether for the good or the bad.  The thing is that 1 game isn't going to tell us much about either QB long term.

it'll be a start. my point was who will be the better QB game 1. my initial post was responding to the one that claimed darold was the better QB between the two, presently.

I'm well aware it will take the season to see who comes out the better QB, in 2019. both are only in their 2nd year and both have some work ahead of them.

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

My concern about G Williams is how he asks his players to play each down and being borderline illegal with hands etc.
This will show up in the trenches.
Punch their faces in early and the Bills will own the game.

and we have the Boys to get that done. 

Run the heavy package and punish them up front with Gore 

Then let Singletary do his thang. then Foster and Brown can get crazy

That’s a legit worry, especially with the Morse concussion concerns. But this retooled OL is full of guys who don’t take any crap, too. 

I look for Beasley and the TEs to have big days since Manboobs will have to cheat safety help to his CBs outside and the Jest LBs are nothing to write home about in pass coverage. And that includes Mosley.

This game is a complete unknown. We are better defensively as they have weakness at the corners. Both teams have a lot of open questions on offense and we may have more. I say 22-19 final. Jets tie it with a TD with under 2 to play and we win it with a last second 37 yard FG.  Turnovers and return games will decide this one.  God we need this game.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills begin prep for Jets: Sean McDermott on Sam Darnold, LeVeon Bell

Bills quarterback Josh Allen and Jets quarterback Sam Darnold meet for the second time and Buffalo coach Sean McDermott is expecting a tough test for his defense.

“(Darnold) looks like he’s composed. I don’t think that’s different. I think we’re seeing a good, solid quarterback that’s young but progressing and developing,”

McDermott said Monday before the team’s first practice since the initial 53-man roster was finalized over the weekend.

Darnold only played in one game against the Bills in 2018 because of a foot injury that sidelined him on Nov. 11. Allen missed the game too with an elbow injury. Both played in the second game on Dec. 9, a 27-23 win for New York.

Darnold threw for just 170 yards on 16 of 24 passing. He threw a touchdown pass in the win while Allen threw just two interceptions.

McDermott said the Jets’ offense under Darnold is formidable.

· Former Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams was in attendance and working with the defensive linemen.

On one rep in one-on-one drills against the offensive line, rookie defensive tackle Ed Oliver slipped and fell on a rep against left guard Quinton Spain.

He immediately went back to the defensive huddle and took in some words of wisdom from Williams.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

He had those rushing yards because he couldn’t make the right reads. I can tell you really don’t watch games around the league. Yes Josh is a nice talent but he is far from the greatest mobile quarterback ever trust me. Forget ever I can name at least 5 qb in the league who if they wanted to run could run  like Josh could. 

Now again don’t get it twisted long term again Josh Allen I feel will be better than Darnold. He just needs to be more consistent reading defense and making great passes.

BTW What makes Allen tough to defend is he can run plus he has rocket arm. Most QB don’t have both. That’s why Allen’s running lanes are so hugh

Do you ( you’re self ) even believe the ??  that’s coming out of your mouth ??? 

19 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I see a house defensive game ahead. 3 turnovers for us with 2 Darnold picks. Bills win 17-13

If we get 3 turnovers I sure as hell hope we score MORE then 17 points 

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Maybe.  In the last 10 seasons the Bills won their opening games in:

2017 -- won opener against Jets, were 5-2, and finished 9-7

2015 -- won opener, finished 8-8

2014 -- won first 2, finished 9-7

2011 -- won first 3,  were 4-1 and then 5-2 before they collapsed to finish 6-10

It’s not just about the W or L.  For the Bills it’s about seeing if Allen has progressed over the offseason, about how much improvements truly have been made to the WR corps and OL, etc., etc.  It’s about how we look relative to another AFCE team that’s also trying to contend.  Of course the W or L matters a lot, but there’s more here that matters - and it matters more than if we were playing the Texans or Vikings.  

• Like (+1) 1

Haven’t look through the whole thread, so this has probably already been posted -

I just watched both press conferences back to back and was struck by the difference. 

Maybe I'm just a Bills homer but McDermott just inspired a lot more confidence vs Gase with the way both handle press conferences. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Haven’t look through the whole thread, so this has probably already been posted -

I just watched both press conferences back to back and was struck by the difference. 

Maybe I'm just a Bills homer but McDermott just inspired a lot more confidence vs Gase with the way both handle press conferences. 

That occurred to me too, but then again, I'm sure you've seen Bill Bellichick* press conferences?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Why do you assume that the Jets are a "very bad" team?  Everything that I've heard or read about the Jets suggests that they're about at the same level as the Bills.  Opening the season against a division rival is always dicey.   Sometimes the future Super Bowl champ takes it on the chin from a divisional rival that wins only 3 or 4 games the rest of the season.

Until they prove it, the Bills are hardly "the best defense in the NFL".  They were ranked #2 in yardage and #1 in passing yards but only #7 in interceptions, #16 in rushing yards, #18 in scoring defense, and  #26 in sacks.  Their red zone defense sucked, and they couldn't get off the field late in games because they didn't have much of a pass rush and were susceptible to the run. 

The Jets Defense is bad. With WIlliamson now gone with torn ACL and Copeland suspended for PED's, they are now AWFUL.

As for the Bills, the Bills addressed the problem by drafting a future Pro Bowler with their first pick. Their defense is elite. It looked that way in the preseason too.

19 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was only covered in snippets. Thanks for the links to the full pressers 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Just a whole lot of reaching going on from some fans with McBeane.... but we see this every year. I remember last year many in here thought the team could win at least 9 with the combo of Peterman/McCarron/Allen.?

You really are the Grinch, aren't you?

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean comparing press conferences between the two coaches demeanor as a way to predict the outcome of a game/status of a team? Seriously? 

Just saying. It's a bit ridiculous. 

Just a major difference in demeanor.

who do you want to play for after watching both.

sorry that some of get amped up about the Season. But i for one would not change a thing

Senator always had the best attitude.

Lets Go Buff a lo

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Just a whole lot of reaching going on from some fans with McBeane.... but we see this every year. I remember last year many in here thought the team could win at least 9 with the combo of Peterman/McCarron/Allen.?

Thank god you’re here to keep us grounded.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s not just about the W or L.  For the Bills it’s about seeing if Allen has progressed over the offseason, about how much improvements truly have been made to the WR corps and OL, etc., etc.  It’s about how we look relative to another AFCE team that’s also trying to contend.  Of course the W or L matters a lot, but there’s more here that matters - and it matters more than if we were playing the Texans or Vikings.  

Really? The seasons’ 1st 30 minutes of offense will tell you everything you’ll need to know, Win or lose? Josh looked great against the Vikings for his 1st start. That -in no way- foreshadowed the next few games. There are far too many variables in every nfl game to make hard and fast determinations of anything going forward. He’ll be one of TEN new players on offense from the 11 who started last season, 9 of which are brand new to the team. Your standards are tad too high, imo. I’ll be happy solely with the W, however it’s delivered, should it come to pass.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What?  The majority by far would have been shocked if the bills won 4 games. Fans were predicting it to be a historically bad team. 

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean comparing press conferences between the two coaches demeanor as a way to predict the outcome of a game/status of a team? Seriously? 

Just saying. It's a bit ridiculous. 

Where did I use it to predict the outcome of the game?  I was just addressing their public speaking and said McDermott inspires more confidence. And I even said I may be being s bit of a homer.

Man you just look for any chance to B word about the Bills or their fans, huh? 

You know it’s funny... I was actually going to put a disclaimer, saying “I obviously don’t think this means we will win on Sunday” but then I thought, nah it’s not necessary. No one would actually think I was saying that...  ?

• Haha (+1) 1