Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I think Jersey has us on RB bud. We dont have a Le'Veon Bell.

I agree with the rest, though and think our D is overall better than them. In fact, best in AFC East.

Bills have best defense in the NFL. Sure the Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, and Jacksonville are elite defenses, but Oliver is the game-changer. I am not a Ravens defense believer.  The Bills defense will get turnovers this year. Lots of them.

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

This is the Andre Roberts revenge game.  Andre will make the Jets pay.  He is the main reason they won Bills-Jets part II last year and now he is ours. 

Andre Roberts is still a damn good player. I would love to see him exact some revenge.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Very similar teams.  

Will come down to Allen showing growth in his second year for us to win this game, unless the Defense/ST’s make some big plays. 

On paper, our OL is better, but they have the better RB’s and slightly better WR’s (until Zay or Foster decide they want to be consistent).  

On paper, our defense is much better -  Continuity, talent and depth across the board. The Jets have some nice players but are very thin at linebacker and in the secondary after Mosley and Adams. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Bills have best defense in the NFL. Sure the Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, and Jacksonville are elite defenses, but Oliver is the game-changer. I am not a Ravens defense believer.  The Bills defense will get turnovers this year. Lots of them.

I sure hope you are right. The ONLY reason i am skeptical of labeling them No. 1 is pass rush. I think Seattle has turned the corner and will be the no 1 D in league. We will be not that far behind though.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I sure hope you are right. The ONLY reason i am skeptical of labeling them No. 1 is pass rush. I think Seattle has turned the corner and will be the no 1 D in league. We will be not that far behind though.

This is where I’m at as well.  

We have talent at every level of the defense and we have depth at every level of the defense.   We have continuity with these guys in the system.   

We’re one of Shaq/Murphy/Johnson providing a legitimate pass rush opposite Hughes away from being elite.   Not saying they can’t, but as of now, it’s an unknown. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he will have some extra juice for this one, because he mentioned that he didn’t appreciate how he was treated there at FA time 

Good. Looking back, he is probably relieved now to be out of that mad house. Now he can show the Jets his appreciation by returning the favor.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have talent at every level of the defense and we have depth at every level of the defense.   We have continuity with these guys in the system.   

We’re one of Shaq/Murphy/Johnson providing a legitimate pass rush opposite Hughes away from being elite.   Not saying they can’t, but as of now, it’s an unknown. 

I would say they are still elite, like top 5 overall. They were no 2 against the pass last year, and will be better with ed up front pressuring the qb on passing downs up the middle. People talk about how you have to pressure brady to win, and that is true. But they leave out HOW to pressure him. He cannot take pressure up the middle. He can get the ball out quickly if pressure is coming from the edge, but does struggle if he is forced to escape the pocket from pressure up the gut.

The more i think about it, the more i think this is where McDermott and Frasier were going with the moves they made this offseason. Only time will tell if they were correct.

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518
Added content

18 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

What we need to see is Allen make the plays and SOMEBODY on the defense get in Darnold's mug in late game passing downs.

Last years game was a tale of two halves. Bills dominating the first half and Jets dominating the second. Just play Darnold tough the whole game. The D was great against him the first half last year and then the second half they allowed too many completions. They also don't have Andre Roberts anymore so that should help. Need more consistency in this game from both sides.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed. Perhaps it was Preseason Smokescreen, but Frazier dialed up more blitz packages in 4 games than he has in 2 seasons. I believe it can be attributed to his faith in the young LB core and strong CB play -to effectively cover areas left unmanned by sending the house.

When they called it, it was successful.

M. Levy: Once you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep ‘til noon.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

tough call. you want to see JA and the new offense get out there and score points but I have the feeling it will be a defensive battle. low scoring.

Greg Williams worries me a little bit. Personnel wise I don't the Jets are really stacked on defense. But JA better be ready to play going against Greg Williams.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I would say they are still elite, like top 5 overall. They were no 2 against the pass last year, and will be better with ed up front pressuring the qb on passing downs up the middle. People talk about how you have to pressure brady to win, and that is true. But they leave out HOW to pressure him. He cannot take pressure up the middle. He can get the ball out quickly if pressure is coming from the edge, but does struggle if he is forced to escape the pocket from pressure up the gut.

The more i think about it, the more i think this is where McDermott and Frasier were going with the moves they made this offseason. Only time will tell if they were correct.

Until we fix our red zone defense, which we were awful with last year, we wont be elite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Right now Sam Darnold is better than Josh Allen. Sam is just as mobile as Allen he just doesn’t do it as often. Allen is bigger and he can get you the TD rushing in the red zone better than Darnold but right now as pure passer Darnold is better as he should be due to better private coaching up to this point. Long term Allen hopefully will be the better player

I can't agree with this. Allen wasn't just some mobile QB last year. Allen, for a six game stretch, was the best mobile QB the league has ever seen. Right there with a stretch that Mike Vick put together. Darnold's talents as a runner are nowhere near Allen's level.

Will Allen pick up where he left off last year in his final six games? Maybe not. But we know he at least has the talent and skills and can use them at any point of a game. Also, if we figure he rushes less this year then we should figure he passes more and with better efficiency this year in his second season with a better receiving core. Lower rushing numbers, but not necessarily efficiency should hopefully correlate with greater passing numbers and passing efficiency in his second year.

It's a wash for me. I do like Darnold's intangibles but Allen has skills that no other QB in the league has shown yet.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Greg Williams worries me a little bit. Personnel wise I don't the Jets are really stacked on defense. But JA better be ready to play going against Greg Williams.

We are still almost a week  away from kickoff and I already have butterflies in my stomach 

25 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The dreaded must win game right out of the gate. What is it the 20th straight year we have drawn that game to start the season?

If you want to make the playoffs, you can afford to lose 6 games, and still have a chance.  Pretty much every NFL game is a must win.  If we use up 1/6 of our losses to a Jets game, it really does not bode well for the season. 

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If you want to make the playoffs, you can afford to lose 6 games, and still have a chance.  Pretty much every NFL game is a must win.  If we use up 1/6 of our losses to a Jets game, it really does not bode well for the season. 

Well you have been a Bills fan for a while then you know we sometimes lose the games we should win , and sometimes win games we have no business winning!! 

Just now, Putin said:

Well you have been a Bills fan for a while then you know we sometimes lose the games we should win , and sometimes win games we have no business winning!! 

I think winning teams think every game is "one they should win".  If you think there are some "we should lose", it another way of saying, we will miss the playoffs again.

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

I think winning teams think every game is "one they should win".  If you think there are some "we should lose", it another way of saying, we will miss the playoffs again.

Well we are not a winning team YET , hopefully it starts by beating the jets !!

Gooo Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Sure but the reality is it's only a must win if you are close to elimination. The Patriots lose far more games out the gate then they do down the stretch. That is what the Bills need to be doing. Just win 80% of your games as a whole. Season isn't over after one or two losses in September.

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sure but the reality is it's only a must win if you are close to elimination. The Patriots lose far more games out the gate then they do down the stretch. That is what the Bills need to be doing. Just win 80% of your games as a whole. Season isn't over after one or two losses in September.

They all count the same, until you clinch a playoff spot.  Each loss puts you one step closer to elimination. Obviously mathematically, nothing is a must win  until it is a win or go home game, but dropping a full game behind a division rival week one is a terrible start to a season.  It usually ends up with not making the playoffs. 

Just now, Putin said:

Last year Colts ?

You do realize that 25% is not zero percent I assume. Maybe not.  But your chances are more than twice as great if you win week one. 

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

This is a Bills fans myth.  We want to think the Patriots have owned us for some reason beyond having better talent and coaching. 

How the defensive line uses extensive film study to gain an edge with their pass rush

Much like quarterbacks make pre-snap checks or changes at the line of scrimmage to get to a better play or protection, Kyle Williams took it upon himself to have counter moves at the ready for certain passing downs that would put Buffalo’s defensive line in the best position to succeed.

Now Alexander and Phillips will be entrusted to put Buffalo’s pass rushers in the best position to win on key downs in games.

The defensive staff broke things down in the spring for the new players added to the roster in the offseason, knowing this isn’t a common practice for most NFL defenses. Having great player attendance during the OTAs in May and early June, enabled every defensive player on the roster to get up to speed on how the calls are made week to week and executed.

“So much of it gets put together on Wednesday or Thursday,” said Phillips of installing pass rush strategy during a regular season game week.

“That’s where you learn what you want to do. Are you facing a scarecrow back there, who is going to stay in the pocket or are you facing someone who is going to scramble? When the quarterbacks do scramble, because they all will, where do they escape to? A gap? B gap? Or do they roll out to their right for their throwing arm?

What type of protections are we going to get? Are we getting max protection, are they sliding four-man one way or the other? So just encompassing all that together and then not getting too cute.

“We have Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy, Ed (Oliver), Lorenzo (Alexander) and Shaq (Lawson) and some other guys who will roll in there. We don’t have to get too cute and spin and wrap.

If I see Jerry one-on-one, I’m going to say, ‘Hey take that, you’re going to win nine out of 10.’”

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

You do realize that 25% is not zero percent I assume. Maybe not.  But your chances are more than twice as great if you win week one. 

Hey I agree with you that this is a BIG game and could very well have ( down the road) playoff implications, and more then anything I HATE the jets so I really want a W here , all I’m saying if we do lose the season is not over