Peterman pros and cons...

ChicagoRic

30 minutes ago, cd1 said:

HOPEFULLY - Our NEW OC will game plan to avoid THOSE THROWS.

DUH - Peterman was a ROOKIE and Tyrod was in his 6th year in NFL - could THAT be the reason????

How many points will we need? - THAT is the big question.

How well will our defense perform this year? Will they be able to keep the scores low enough that, even if our offense struggles, we will have a slight chance to stay in the game.

If our defense sucks - when do we start talking about the 2019 draft?

No the reason was because tyrod was better. Plain and simple. And still will be this year in my opinion 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

Yeah,they used the same rationalization  about TB....he went in the 6th!

Statistically speaking, TB was an outlier, an anomaly. Saying "This 6th round draft pick could become a superstar because Brady did it" is the equivalent of saying "This lottery ticket might get me the Mega Millions Jackpot because it happened to some other guy." Sure, it could be the winner, but don't quit your job on the incredibly slim chance that it might.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Peterman is all pros and no cons. He gives Allen at least a few games to develop NFL game speed, he might turn out to be good, or at worst he tanks and we get a high pick next year which we turn into a blue chip pass rusher. There is no downside.

Do you consider unwatchable, pick-filled offensive football a downside?  Asking for a friend...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Statistically speaking, TB was an outlier, an anomaly. Saying "This 6th round draft pick could become a superstar because Brady did it" is the equivalent of saying "This lottery ticket might get me the Mega Millions Jackpot because it happened to some other guy." Sure, it could be the winner, but don't quit your job on the incredibly slim chance that it might.

Oh,I agreed with you,I just find it perplexing when people throw out absolutes when handicapping the human spirit! 

4 minutes ago, transient said:

Do you consider unwatchable, pick-filled offensive football a downside?  Asking for a friend...

Not this year. I have no expectations. Part of me just wants to get a top 3 pick so we can get an elite pass rusher on the team. Of course every Sunday that eternal optimism will make me sure that we are going to win, but right now thinking logically our record is meaningless. If Peterman craps the bed we get to watch Josh Allen develop for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

He acknowledges wide receivers and he is decisive.

I don't anticipate yelling, "throw the !@#$ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/game anymore, like I have the past three years.

Nope you'll be yelling just take the sack instead of hopelessly heaving a ball off his back foot when the line gets pushed into his face.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Peterman is all pros and no cons. He gives Allen at least a few games to develop NFL game speed, he might turn out to be good, or at worst he tanks and we get a high pick next year which we turn into a blue chip pass rusher. There is no downside.

That's only because your expectations are so low. Losing is a downside, you're just expecting it. In my opinion, am I wrong in my assessment of your views? I don't see how there is no downside. 

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If he had Fitzy's arm, which is weak, he could be Fitz. But it's weaker than Fitz. That's his problem. Fitz could wind up and get it there sometimes. Nate unfortunately can't. 

It sucks because if he did have slightly better arm strength he could be pretty good. 

Peterman's velocity ranking at the combine was 49. DeShaun Watson's was 45. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

He's kinda like Fitz, let's see if he can recognize his limitations unlike Fitz. 

Valid. I'd say he should just avoid out patterns to the right. 

38 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That's only because your expectations are so low. Losing is a downside, you're just expecting it. In my opinion, am I wrong in my assessment of your views? I don't see how there is no downside. 

Pretty much. I expect to lose if Josh Allen is in there too. We don't have the talent to win consistently yet. One thing we still desperately need is an elite pass rusher. It's hard to find them outside the top 5 of the draft. So if we're really bad this year that's not a downside. Like any young team at the beginning of a rebuild i just want to see our franchise players develop over the course of the season. I won't be rooting against the Bills or anything but my expectations couldn't be much lower.

5 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Decicive on throwing bad throws. Every d coordinator is salivating at the idea. We are not only going to not block the front four. We'll won't pick up the blitzes at all. Tape is out on Peterman. 

We saw the picks and said "well it wasn't his fault". D coordinators saw the picks and said wouldn't it be hilarious if he starts next year??

Are you a Bills fan? This is a serious question, by the way. I’ve never seen a username highlight something so negative like yours.

If he's to have any kind of career in the NFL Peterman has a lot to prove and, in the circumstances, the odds are stacked against him. He's a second year player with almost no in season experience. His O line and WR group are, until proven otherwise, sub par. The jury is still out on whether his arm is adequate (at best) or something less. 

These early season games will be a daunting test not only of Peterman but of his OC. If they can extend some of what we've seen in preseason to the regular season it will be a major accomplishment. If Peterman actually consistently plays well it will be very good news for the Bills. 

Lots of people predicted he wouldn't make the 53 at the start of camp...

He seems to have improved from last year which seems a difficult concept for people here to get their heads around...

Young players can actually improve...

We do need to see him in a proper game or two though to be sure..

95% chance that he is at best a 5-6 game placeholder for JA but maybe that will be enough to cement him as a cheap backup for the last two and a half years of his rookie deal..

5 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I really like Peterman. 

Unlike many of you I like the WGR crew. But Schoop made a comment last year on Peterman that I found soooo stupid. I tweeted him that I like Peterman because I think he's a Chad Pennington type and while he'll probably always be a backup, I think he'll have a long career as a backup, like a Colt McCoy type. Schoop said if that's all you predict for a players future then what's the point in drafting him? I was blown away by that logic. I mean, to me backup QB is a position on the team, and you want the best one you can get. And yes, I believe in drafting and developing QB's even if you think the most you can get out of them is backup material. 

I loved when the Jets had Pennington.

Yeah.......the Bills sucked and Pennington was able to beat those bad Bills teams despite his ridiculously poor arm.........but with Pennington the Jets had a low ceiling and he was just so remarkably accurate that you knew they would be stuck in purgatory with him forever.

But he hurt his shoulder.   Fortunately the Jets never really found another answer at QB either.

Peterman has a stronger arm than Pennington by a good measure.........but he's not even been close to the consistent accuracy of Pennington.

The mistake you are making is seeing Nate drill a few passes in there but then omitting the dangerously off-target throw he makes every 4th or 5th arm rotation.

His specialty is feeding corners soft-tossed potential pic-6's but he's also good at those "the receiver's gotta' catch that" throws that are wild high and behind receivers and leave the six-packs swearing at the receiver while poor Nate looks like he's getting no support.

That inconsistency combined with his feeble arm is why he wasn't drafted a lot earlier.

Now he's looked A LOT better this preseason than last and we can hope he's evolved into a serviceable starting QB but based on past history it seems unlikely.

• Like (+1) 5

18 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Peterman's velocity ranking at the combine was 49. DeShaun Watson's was 45. 

Valid. I'd say he should just avoid out patterns to the right. 

I loved that Fitz had that hero in his blood and wanted nothing more than to make a play when needed but more often than not it'd end up in a turnover or incompletion.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

I think np2's biggest strength is throwing guys open. It's something we haven't seen alot of since probably Fitz was starting, and even then was limited. If Peterman starts most of the season, I actually think he'll rack up alot of yards per game and his stats will look really good, win or lose. I know allen is the long term answer, but as of now, I'm excited for Peterman to prove the doubters wrong 

I love Deuce Peterman, and I agree that he throws guys open... Sadly, some of those guys are opposing DB's who take it back for six...

There's a fair chance Deuce sets a record for INT's this Sunday, but it doesn't matter... What matters is, -he's not Tyrod.  For that, I am grateful.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Ive thought about this (not that it means much). So far my impression is that Kirk has a stronger arm. If I'm wrong then it certainly bodes well (or at least better than I expected) for NP.

cousins actually has a really strong arm...petermans arm compares moreso to chad pennington

9 hours ago, Big C said:

You work with a much smaller field with Nate. But it can't be any worse than last time, right?

If the QB knows where the throw should go, pre-snap, even a small field plenty big enough.

Reading a D and accurately delivering a 7 yard pass is all you need to do to win in this league...if you can do it consistently and reliably.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Velocity at the combine means next to nothing. Dalton was tied with Cam Newton and ahead of Joe Flacco. Who has the strong arms and who has the mediocre arm?

Arm talent is more than velocity, but velocity means more than next to nothing. I'll take velocity on the out pattern, thank you much. The three quarterbacks you mention all have good arms. Cam has the cannon however.

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I loved that Fitz had that hero in his blood and wanted nothing more than to make a play when needed but more of than not it'd end up in a turnover or incompletion.

And the turnovers came just when the game was on the line.

• Like (+1) 2

Peterman is the kind of players Bills fans should be behind 100%.  If it doesn't work out there is Allen but Peterman could be a Rich Gannon type QB with the right OC and you can win with players like that.  He's smart and he's still learning his limitations.  If you throw sideline routes late at all any QB can get picked off.  McCarron threw a pick six.  I don't like those routes in general because there's little YAC anyway.  I prefer screens and wheel routes where the receiver is moving upfield when they get the ball and they are generally safer throws.

Anyway, Buffalo is a blue collar city who should be all about the underdog.  I'm impressed Peterman didn't let one half game and one snow game destroy his confidence.  He's been doing all you can ask of him and trying to make the most of his talent.  That's a player I hope surprises everyone for a very long time.  He's a starter now until he proves he is a backup.  It's in our best interest if that isn't any time soon.  I wish "fans" would get off his back.

Edited by timtebow15

He's the perfect stalking horse for the coaching staff. He's just good enough to win some games and help evaluate the rest of the offense in a transition year, but won't win enough to prevent Allen a chance to play later in the year. This way even if Allen comes in and sucks McBeane can use the excuse that he needs more reps, and they'll get another year to develop their boy.

Edited by VW82