Peterman pros and cons...

ChicagoRic

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Peterman is all pros and no cons. He gives Allen at least a few games to develop NFL game speed, he might turn out to be good, or at worst he tanks and we get a high pick next year which we turn into a blue chip pass rusher. There is no downside.

losing is not a downside? ?

12 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

We turn him into Case Keenum and trade him for a 1st :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, vincec said:

Fitz was tougher physically and a better runner. If Peterman turns out to be as good as Fitz then I'll be impressed to be honest.

Fitz could also throw a bomb.

nasty Nate I assume cannot since through approx 1game and 7 pre season games he hasn't even attempted one.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If the QB knows where the throw should go, pre-snap, even a small field plenty big enough.

Reading a D and accurately delivering a 7 yard pass is all you need to do to win in this league...if you can do it consistently and reliably.

and them they bump and lean on the 7 yard receivers and they bring a rush and hide a few coverages and it's over. Just as it was for Trent.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I loved when the Jets had Pennington.

Yeah.......the Bills sucked and Pennington was able to beat those bad Bills teams despite his ridiculously poor arm.........but with Pennington the Jets had a low ceiling and he was just so remarkably accurate that you knew they would be stuck in purgatory with him forever.

But he hurt his shoulder.   Fortunately the Jets never really found another answer at QB either.

Peterman has a stronger arm than Pennington by a good measure.........but he's not even been close to the consistent accuracy of Pennington.

The mistake you are making is seeing Nate drill a few passes in there but then omitting the dangerously off-target throw he makes every 4th or 5th arm rotation.

His specialty is feeding corners soft-tossed potential pic-6's but he's also good at those "the receiver's gotta' catch that" throws that are wild high and behind receivers and leave the six-packs swearing at the receiver while poor Nate looks like he's getting no support.

That inconsistency combined with his feeble arm is why he wasn't drafted a lot earlier.

Now he's looked A LOT better this preseason than last and we can hope he's evolved into a serviceable starting QB but based on past history it seems unlikely.

The Jets made the playoffs three times in Pennington's five years of starting*. Granted they never advanced past the divisional round, I still think that's pretty solid to make the playoffs for at least 2/3rds of your years starting with a team. Moreover, in 2005 the Jets were awful (4-12,) without Pennington, only see him win comeback player of the year in 2006 leading them to a 10-6 record. 

In 2008 Pennington was a big part of the Dolphins going 11-5. Won comeback player of the year for a second time and actually received some MVP votes. Manning won the award, but still fairly impressive.

So, I guess you loved watching the Jets make the playoffs for the aforementioned 2/3rds of his career starting with them. 

* Pennington was drafted in 2000, but didnt see full time starting duty until 2002.

Edited by BillsFan17

14 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

I agree with your entire breakdown, though the one thing I actually disagree with is one con. Peterman can run.

Problem is those cons seem almost insurmountable to me with this OL. And that route route is a very basic NFL route and the idea of him throwing it is terrifying.

I think Dabol will find a way, though :thumbsup:

This article has been posted before, but probably worth digging up again in regards to arm strength. It’s not impossible to improve arm strength. There is hope for Nate and the dude works his tail off.  Odds are against him, but who knows???

Fill in in the blank and read the article.

“I was at a Purdue practice during ______________ final year and he struggled to complete a 12-yard out in windy conditions

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/03/13/greg-gabriel-is-a-quarterbacks-velocity-an-indicator-of-how-good-he-will-be-in-the-nfl/a93ef5p/

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, fridge said:

Are you a Bills fan? This is a serious question, by the way. I’ve never seen a username highlight something so negative like yours.

A username that had a stat? Lmao.

I'm blackout rn so I'll apologize tomorrow. But Peterman threw 5 picks in one half. It Happened.. saying otherwise is being a flat earther you branwashed idiot

I'm a pissed off bills fan because we have pick6 Pete. Until he stops throwing interceptions every average 5 drop backs.. he's probably the best quarterback we have. And that's why I miss Tyrod lol. He averaged a lot less picks per snap. But nope. Not a bills fan you got me. I haven't bought the process because we are horrible.

Btw you should be a guest on our podcast seriously. We need Peterman defenders to laugh at

You suck fridge. Everybody says you're overrated

Fridge please give me an argument that is solid and doesn't say the friggin process. And we can. Proceed to civilized conversation. Because if pick 6 Pete is the process.. we're going to have a bad time

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

Pro:  He's not Tyrod Taylor.

Upgrade.

NO BECAUSE HE THROWS A STATISTICALLY IMPROBABLE NUMBER OF PICKS WITH AN EVEN CRAPPIER OFFENSE. HOW ABOUT WR BRING BACK JEFF TUEL. TOTAL PROCESS PLAYER RIGHT???

10 hours ago, fridge said:

Are you a Bills fan? This is a serious question, by the way. I’ve never seen a username highlight something so negative like yours.

I could coordinate against Peterman. They want the Bills to start him because he David fales.. Bills version

16 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Cons

Picks

10 hours ago, fridge said:

I mean Levi Brown and Jeff TUEL are process players.. and they threw less picks. BRING THEM BACK

17 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

Small sample size. 

The small sample size is for a good reason. 

I’m not buying into Peterman after a decent preseason. Starting a quarter in the 1st game and finishing two others. I think his preseason could of been a lot different had he started against Browns or Bengals. If I do remember correctly, a lot of people on this board were gushing about how well the oline played against Carolina and it’s been the polar opposite since. Bills players and coaches had a lot of good things to say about him heading into the Chargers game last year too. Curious to see what happens, but I have a lot of doubts. 

Edited by BananaB

16 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The small sample size is for a good reason. 

I’m not buying into Peterman after a decent preseason. Starting a quarter in the 1st game and finishing two others. I think his preseason could of been a lot different had he started against Browns or Bengals. If I do remember correctly, a lot of people on this board were gushing about how well the oline played against Carolina and it’s been the polar opposite since. Bills players and coaches had a lot of good things to say about him heading into the Chargers game last year too. Curious to see what happens, but I have a lot of doubts. 

Or maybe the online looked better in front of him because he gets rid of the ball quick.

19 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Or maybe the online looked better in front of him because he gets rid of the ball quick.

We’re about to see I guess. Like I said, I have my doubts. Heard all these good things about Peterman before, and it all came from the same mouths we are hearing now.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

The OP is a hater with an agenda.

I guess it takes one to know one.  

Personally, I hope the kid comes out and lights it up, like every other Bills fan.  And if he doesn't pan out, we go with the rookie.  

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

NO BECAUSE HE THROWS A STATISTICALLY IMPROBABLE NUMBER OF PICKS WITH AN EVEN CRAPPIER OFFENSE. HOW ABOUT WR BRING BACK JEFF TUEL. TOTAL PROCESS PLAYER RIGHT???

I could coordinate against Peterman. They want the Bills to start him because he David fales.. Bills version

Picks

I mean Levi Brown and Jeff TUEL are process players.. and they threw less picks. BRING THEM BACK

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but imagine if your entire career was judged by your first 30 minutes on the job.

Doesn't seem fair, does it?  Or smart.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Picks

Give the kid a shot at redemption.  

Thats what the Bills FO is doing 

If you don’t like it ......  that's on you

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
Inappropriate (nonverbal) language

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or he wasn't facing any team's starting front 7 except for a sliver of preseason game 1.

Pay attention because that's what was said about the online looking good only against Carolina with Peterman under center. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

He cant control who he goes up against. He was by the far the best QB during the preseason.

That misses the point that he was not challenged in the was JA was.  So he wasn't undergoing the same evaluation process.  He played 2 varsity series all preseason and hten he coasted the rest of the way against scrubs exclusively.  In the only meaningful preseason  game (week 3) they wouldn't let him into the huddle until the Bengals sat their starters.  Then he came in and Scrimmaged with the 2-3-4s and padded his stats.  He's faced no pressure since last season, when that pressure resulted in 5 picks.

My guess is that, if he had to play that first half against the Bengals starters, hw would not be the Bills starter coming this Sunday. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That misses the point that he was not challenged in the was JA was.  So he wasn't undergoing the same evaluation process.  He played 2 varsity series all preseason and hten he coasted the rest of the way against scrubs exclusively.  In the only meaningful preseason  game (week 3) they wouldn't let him into the huddle until the Bengals sat their starters.  Then he came in and Scrimmaged with the 2-3-4s and padded his stats.  He's faced no pressure since last season, when that pressure resulted in 5 picks.

My guess is that, if he had to play that first half against the Bengals starters, hw would not be the Bills starter coming this Sunday. 

What do you mean he wasn’t challenged the same way Allen was or didn’t go under the same evaluation process? That literally makes no sense.

Are you just sad Allen didn’t come out and clearly win the competition? He will get his shot eventually.

Allen also went up against backups just like Peterman did and still wasn’t able to consistently look as good or pad his stats like you’re bashing Peterman for. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

A username that had a stat? Lmao.

I'm blackout rn so I'll apologize tomorrow. But Peterman threw 5 picks in one half. It Happened.. saying otherwise is being a flat earther you branwashed idiot

I'm a pissed off bills fan because we have pick6 Pete. Until he stops throwing interceptions every average 5 drop backs.. he's probably the best quarterback we have. And that's why I miss Tyrod lol. He averaged a lot less picks per snap. But nope. Not a bills fan you got me. I haven't bought the process because we are horrible.

Btw you should be a guest on our podcast seriously. We need Peterman defenders to laugh at

You suck fridge. Everybody says you're overrated

Fridge please give me an argument that is solid and doesn't say the friggin process. And we can. Proceed to civilized conversation. Because if pick 6 Pete is the process.. we're going to have a bad time

Good luck with your podcast.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

What do you mean he wasn’t challenged the same way Allen was or didn’t go under the same evaluation process? That literally makes no sense.

Are you just sad Allen didn’t come out and clearly win the competition? He will get his shot eventually.

Allen also went up against backups just like Peterman did and still wasn’t able to consistently look as good or pad his stats like you’re bashing Peterman for. 

Bang,     Remember when EJ only got to practice with the 3's and it was called a fair competition?   

I do.  

(yes there is sarcasm there and not directed at you) 

-----------------------------

imo from what I have witnessed 

McDermott isn't one to play a rookie QB unless he's sure (or has outside pressure - more than that of an OC) 

Josh started out as the 3 as the FO intended and had to clearly earn the start.

He got the start in week 3 of the PS and while he played admirable, but he under performed.

I will apologize in advance if I have the wronging wrong 

and Josh admitted that he wasn't quite ready for what he faced in that  semi-real NFL game. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Good luck with your podcast.

Touche. I was blackout drunk. Sorry. Peterman threw 5 picks tho. That's all the name means. Trust me I'll change it to PetermanThrew5TDs when it happens lol

I seriously wanna have a crappy Peterman debate episode Stephen A Smith style. And I'll be civilized lol, ask Buffaloenthusiast. He's on the show more than anyone and we always start arguing Peterman

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I don't think Peterman is nearly as bad as he is perceived to be.  He would probably have a W under his belt if he completed the Indy snow game.  He was throwing well in that game, much better than the Indy QB...and had the Bills up 7-0.  

This Ravens game will be tough.  I hope the coaching staff keeps it simple and Nate can get through the game without having it turn into a nightmare.  If he can manage the game, keep the chains moving, stay out of trouble, that will go a long way towards confidence.   Because of his past, The Ravens will be looking to jump every out route.  Those DB's are going to try and feed off the LA Chargers film.  Maybe our OC can dial up some plays where Peterman can burn the DB's, knowing they will be looking to jump up.  Maybe some hitch and go routes or something...