Peterman pros and cons...

ChicagoRic

He acknowledges wide receivers and he is decisive.

I don't anticipate yelling, "throw the !@#$ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/game anymore, like I have the past three years.

I agree NP acknowledges WR's but he seems to NOT acknowledge the DB squatting on the route either...

Your yelling each game may go from, " throw the (expletive) ball 20 times" to "DON"T throw that (expletive) ball/pass NP"  20 times a game.

PETERMAN.jpg

HILARIOUS !!!!

Edited by pimp on da' net

the 5 interceptions didnt bother me...the thing that bothered me was the lack of anything that resembled talented QBing. and he looked like a mutt at the end of the Jax playoff game. havent seen him this yr--so hopefully a miracle happened and he grew some talent.

I’m no qb guru, but last year to this preseason he has the look of a totally different qb in my opinion. He’s decisive and gets the ball out, knows where it’s going. 

I think probably the best part is he’s in and out of the huddle super fast. Plenty of time to get to the line and get a read of the defense and make adjustments. Can’t say that translates to regular season yet but he did have a real command of the offense in preseason 

If he had Fitzy's arm, which is weak, he could be Fitz. But it's weaker than Fitz. That's his problem. Fitz could wind up and get it there sometimes. Nate unfortunately can't. 

It sucks because if he did have slightly better arm strength he could be pretty good. 

His arm looked a lot better this preseason, still not josh Allen and still is a problem on throws to the sidelines, but I think it has improved quite a bit over the last year.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m no qb guru, but last year to this preseason he has the look of a totally different qb in my opinion. He’s decisive and gets the ball out, knows where it’s going. 

I think probably the best part is he’s in and out of the huddle super fast. Plenty of time to get to the line and get a read of the defense and make adjustments. Can’t say that translates to regular season yet but he did have a real command of the offense in preseason 

He always did that. The problem is he telegraphs it, he's a one read guy for the most part, and doesn't have the zip to get it there fast enough against starting defensive when the game is played at full speed. And doesn't handle the rush well. 

I really like Peterman. 

Unlike many of you I like the WGR crew. But Schoop made a comment last year on Peterman that I found soooo stupid. I tweeted him that I like Peterman because I think he's a Chad Pennington type and while he'll probably always be a backup, I think he'll have a long career as a backup, like a Colt McCoy type. Schoop said if that's all you predict for a players future then what's the point in drafting him? I was blown away by that logic. I mean, to me backup QB is a position on the team, and you want the best one you can get. And yes, I believe in drafting and developing QB's even if you think the most you can get out of them is backup material. 

Especially when its a late round pick most players don't work out very well.  If NFL agreed with Schoop then the draft could largely be cut down to about 3 to 4 rounds.

He always did that. The problem is he telegraphs it, he's a one read guy for the most part, and doesn't have the zip to get it there fast enough against starting defensive when the game is played at full speed. And doesn't handle the rush well. 

Well to be fair, he hasn’t played a regular season game this year, in a new offense Daboll brought over. Nobody is saying he’s the next TB12 or anything here. Gotta think the coaches know/see what you’re talking about and have a plan. 

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

I predict you will be correct, and I fear that it may be sooner than later. I’d be looking for a QB3 for the practice squad. How’s THAT for some rosey optimism? 

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

It's his second year. We don't yet know what he is, and while some of your negatives are very reasonable, others are only based on his behavior as a rookie, and he has improved a lot since then. Every QB looks different under pressure, which is why most of the emphasis on stopping the passing game comes down to pressuring the QB. Whether Peterman will look worse than any other QB under pressure will be something we'll see over the course of his career.

I don't expect an injury, though it's certainly possible. My guess is that the OL improves over the course of the year as they gel, though I don't expect them ever to be good this year.

Well to be fair, he hasn’t played a regular season game this year, in a new offense Daboll brought over. Nobody is saying he’s the next TB12 or anything here. Gotta think the coaches know/see what you’re talking about and have a plan. 

They didn't last year. The coach let the OC talk him into playing Nate because of what he saw in preseason and practice and then it was a disaster because of the exact reasons he was a fifth round pick.

Then they did little to add weapons or protection for the offense.  He succeeded in preseason and training camp becaus guys like that CAN excel in that situation with rubber bullets and three-quarters speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

there is something to be said about getting out of the huddle quickly. cant stand those lazy QBs who saunter up to the line.They remind me of Donovan McNabb going into hypnotic mode in that superbowl.

They didn't last year. The coach let the OC talk him into playing Nate because of what he saw in preseason and practice and then it was a disaster because of the exact reasons he was a fifth round pick.

Then they did little to add weapons or protection for the offense.  He succeeded in preseason and training camp becaus guys like that CAN excel in that situation with rubber bullets and three-quarters speed. 

Well it sounds like your mind is made up.

so enjoy the season.

Rather he’s good or bad this year just not in my DNA to root against bills players and search for all the negatives and predict the future. 

Well it sounds like your mind is made up.

so enjoy the season.

Rather he’s good or bad this year just not in my DNA to root against bills players and search for all the negatives and predict the future. 

No, I hope he does great. I am just saying what I see. 

Last year i feared that he didnt have the arm strength to do well. If you have it it doesn't mean you are good of course. But if you don't have it you cannot succeed in the longboard run under any circumstance. I didn't know for sure if his arm was too weak but what I had seen of him never disproved that. There were a lot of people that said he has adequate, and if that is true, I believe he can succeed. 

Then when I watched him in preseason and regular season last year, to me, my worst fears were shown. He couldn't do it. Yes he can complete some passes, of course he can, but he had a rag arm and I was down on him. Then they started him, I couldn't believe it and it was the worst half in NFL history. 

The snow game doesnt count for anything of course because it was in that weather and arm strength was thrown out the window, although we won the game because Joe Webb threw a deep ball. But I don't count that game. In the playoff game the weak arm reared its ugly head again. 

This year, in the preseason he has played great. There is no denying it. Fantastic. And we were told he has more zip on the ball.  BUT, and it is a big BUT, he didn't really throw one pass that negated his death knell or allayed my fears. He completed out patterns but he didn't show me the lowest requisite amount. I have been watching NFL football for 50 years. He threw one pass in game three that showed a little zip but I'm not sure enough. I need to see more to be convinced. 

Some guys improve arm strength. Brady did substantially. Most guys can't. If Nate CAN, which is an unknown, then he has a chance to be pretty decent because there is a lot to like about other parts of his game. I like the guy a lot. I like his attitude. He just hasn't shown he can throw well enough. We're going to find out soon. 

Oh, and he doesn't handle the rush well or throw slant patterns well. So there is that. 

How is he an upgrade over Tyrod out of curiosity?

I actually think this is a really good question.

Tyrod threw a better deep ball and had mad scrambling skills - which can be useful behind a porous OL.

Peterman makes better pre snap reads, throws over the middle better, and gets the ball out quicker.  

I don't feel like we know yet how this all adds up.  I'm still undecided on the question if Peterman is an upgrade or not.  

And even if Peterman is an upgrade, the OL still scares me.  I worry about this offense scoring enough points to win games.  

• Like (+1) 1

No.  Ball in the turf Fitzy (as a Bill) was an inaccurate passer who couldn't move the chains to save his life.  Peterman has been better than that in P/S.  

Preseason doesn’t mean a thing. The Bills would do well to have Peterman turn out close to a Fitzpatrick level QB. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloSol said:

His arm looked a lot better this preseason, still not josh Allen and still is a problem on throws to the sidelines, but I think it has improved quite a bit over the last year.

HOPEFULLY - Our NEW OC will game plan to avoid THOSE THROWS.

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Not really lol. There is a reason why he was a backup to Tyrod

DUH - Peterman was a ROOKIE and Tyrod was in his 6th year in NFL - could THAT be the reason????

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Tyrod threw a better deep ball and had mad scrambling skills - which can be useful behind a porous OL.

Peterman makes better pre snap reads, throws over the middle better, and gets the ball out quicker.  

I don't feel like we know yet how this all adds up.  I'm still undecided on the question if Peterman is an upgrade or not.  

And even if Peterman is an upgrade, the OL still scares me.  I worry about this offense scoring enough points to win games.  

How many points will we need? - THAT is the big question.

How well will our defense perform this year? Will they be able to keep the scores low enough that, even if our offense struggles, we will have a slight chance to stay in the game.

If our defense sucks - when do we start talking about the 2019 draft?

Edited by cd1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

He acknowledges wide receivers and he is decisive.

I don't anticipate yelling, "throw the !@#$ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/game anymore, like I have the past three years.

Did you watch the Chargers game?  Did you see the dropped pick six in third preseason game against second string DB?  How many INTs do you think this team can withstand and still win?  

• Haha (+1) 1

That's a legitimate question to ask about a player who was drafted in the first round. When you draft him in the fifth, like they did Peterman, then you expect him to be a career backup at best, barring a miracle.

Yeah,they used the same rationalization  about TB....he went in the 6th!

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Well said reasonable post.   With this O-line quick decisions and size trump scrambling ability.  Even TT couldn't escape the rush that this o-line will give up.  Need a quick decision maker with enough size to see the entire field and stay in the pocket and deliver throws downfield.  That guy will be Allen by game 5 if not sooner.

Hes basically Fitz 

Peterman is NOT Fitz!  

Fitz learned to survive on some bad teams and in doing so has great escapability with an outstanding ability to run when needed. In 2010 Fitz's run average was as good as Mike Vick.

Peterman doesn't have that Fitz type escapability so when he is under great pressure he makes great mistakes... takes the sack, throws the INT. Fitz didn't always make the right choice either. 

Anyone else notice that the only start Peterman saw in preseason was week one against Carolina and the Panthers didn't blitz much. Besides their vaunted D line didn't really pressure the QB like I've seen them do in the past. Something I doubt the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings will do.

It's my take the Bills FO/coaches took it easy on Peterman so he could gain confidence heading into the season. I suspect we will see Allen before too long. 

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Did you watch the Chargers game?  Did you see the dropped pick six in third preseason game against second string DB?  How many INTs do you think this team can withstand and still win?  

I think people put too much stock in that Charger game. If he played the entire game, up to four of his ten interceptions may not have been his fault. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Can the O line hold up and offense pay mistake free ball?  Peterman doesn't strike me as a big play type QB.  With this offense is he going to be able to dink and dunk and assemble long drives?  I just don't see it. Ravens dbs are going to be squatting on everything short and gambling for picks. He has to make them pay early over the top.  Were going to find out quick just how good of a playcaller Dabol is.  Gailey made Fitz and a bunch of scrubs work, anything is possible

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think people put too much stock in that Charger game. If he played the entire game, up to four of his ten interceptions may not have been his fault. 

Great post. 

I’m willing to give him a pass on that game. He had a week to work with a team that supported TT. 

Still, I’d keep him on a short leash. 

5 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He threw two outside gifts in the pre season

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

Can the O line hold up and offense pay mistake free ball?  Peterman doesn't strike me as a big play type QB.  With this offense is he going to be able to dink and dunk and assemble long drives?  I just don't see it. Ravens dbs are going to be squatting on everything short and gambling for picks. He has to make them pay early over the top.  Were going to find out quick just how good of a playcaller Dabol is.  Gailey made Fitz and a bunch of scrubs work, anything is possible

Gailey used smoke and Mirrors to make his offense work with 5 WR sets and only one decent WR in Stevie Johnson. Plus he would run the ball out of the shotgun so opponents weren't 100% certain of what they would get on each play.

Once teams figured out that bumping the Bills receivers on the line to disrupt the quick timing throws and stacking the box to stop the run... Gailey's offense was done.   

Smoke and Mirrors only works for a limited time and real talent is needed to win consistently. 

2 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

During the draft Petermen arm was compared to Kirk Cousins who just signed a Huge deal.

Maybe so, but only one of the Petermen can be under center at a time, and in the singular Peterman’s arm is cause for concern.