Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A because I think behind the scenes Diggs has been just as much of a cancer as he was in Minnesota (as I’ve said I suspected for about a year now) AND he had a sharp decline in production. A day 2 pick from a bad Minnesota team is an absolute W.

The extension gets an F-, the trade gets an A.

You realize he gave up picks they needed too right? 

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

They need to take the 1st on WR for the low cap hit.

agreed.  IMO young wr this year and moving miller next year allows them to be aggressive and sign a difference maker or two on the defensive line/offensive line.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Some folks are poo pooing the 2025 2nd round pick but if you combine it with the Bills #28 pick this year it could enable them to move up in the 1st round or add it to this years #2 pick and maybe jump back into the 1st round.

And since it's actually the Vikings 2nd round pick it should be pretty high as Minnesota is looking to have a down season this year.

I've poo pooed a lot of things, but i agree with this.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Hilariously, we scored a TD on that first drive out of halftime while Diggs watched from the sidelines. We dialed up a deep shot to him on the first play of the next drive to try and get his head back in the game, but Allen overthrew him.

Wow! See that’s why I like this trade. No more diva wide receivers. Just draft smart young guys who are willing to do whatever and run good routes. Just let Josh distribute. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

A likely top 40 pick next year isn’t “little” return for an aging player 

I don’t think diggs plus the picks is worth a “likely” 40 pick next year.  

Edited by cgang

Bottom line(could be one or all)….

1 - He had hit the wall.

2 - He had become a major problem in the locker room.

3 - There was an unfixable problem between Diggs & Allen, one had to go, and it wasn’t going to be Allen.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

We’re we winning with Diggs with his last two seasons playoff performances? 

I mean really, it was time, especially with the abundance of WR talent available.  

Were we winning with McDermott with the last four playoff performancesby his defense? 

I mean really it is past time especially with Belichick available. 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

A 2nd in 2025? Is that right? That's equivalent to a 3rd this year. Ouch we got fleeced!

A *Minnesota 2nd in 2025.

Minnesota, being one of the worst teams in the league. Their QB will either be a Rookie or Sam Darnold. Terrible Defense and the Offensive Line and RB are terrible too.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oh come on. The defense is the cause of the loss to Chiefs x 2 and the Texans.  It was not Diggs. 

Yes Diggs did his part 8 targets 3 receptions 21 yards 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Hilariously, we scored a TD on that first drive out of halftime while Diggs watched from the sidelines. We dialed up a deep shot to him on the first play of the next drive to try and get his head back in the game, but Allen overthrew him.

Thanks for sharing the inside info.

Diggs' ego was definitely being coddled/forced fed passes, during LY.

Not saying we're better now at WR, but after the draft..perhaps we're at least even/younger/faster.  This is the Greenbay model.  Get 2-3 young, solid options that can all win on any down.

At least Josh won't have the headache of listening to Diggs rants, on/off the field anymore

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Reposting this because it's going to get lost in the thread:

The Bills kept the issues under wraps for the most part. But anyone who knew someone close to the team was aware of his constant distractions, both in public and behind the scenes.

Really ? So when McDermott found out about this he didn't bench Diggs for the rest of the game ?

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

This season's performance is going to let us know what's going on, 7 Beane seasons in.  

The division sucks monkey nuts, we literally own Miami, they literally cannot beat us barring 100-degree temps with our players sitting in extreme heat, and even then couldn't outplay us.  A division win is expected, and if we cannot advance beyond the wild-card round again, that theory is going to be quite seriously challenged.  

As always, we'll see.  Hopefully we'll win a Super Bowl with this ragtag WR corps without a distinguished WR in the group.  Hopefully we'll bolster it with a WR in the 1st round.  

But it should be of concern, because we've been lectured for a full year now by both head coach and Allen how there's absolutely nothing to any of this Diggs's stuff.  That's not going to age well.  

That's fair.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

The more I sit here the more I am happy riding out the WR with a pick at 28. Draft OL, DL, LB, and S... Retool this year.

Next year in a healthy cap, 2 picks inside 40, another at 55-65ish we can move up if we want or draft 2 more WRs and more firepower.

Stay at 28. For the love of God. 

I'm cool w/ this.  But I trust Beane on it - if they really like a guy & want to trade up, I won't complain.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oh come on. The defense is the cause of the loss to Chiefs x 2 and the Texans.  It was not Diggs. 

Agreed.

And gone are Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde, White, Settle etc..

That doesn't absolve Diggs.  He's a WR1 making big money.  He hasn't stepped up when it matters.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

confident the D had nothing to do with the last 2 mins of throwing the ball into the turf and giving it back to the chiefs.

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

EVERY douchebag on the other Diggs thread saying he wasn't posturing to be moved can kiss my ass. 

Anyone with half a brain knew there was tension here. 

Minnesots, Buffalo, now Houston, let's see how long utopis lasts for Diggs this time.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

My attempt to convince myself the sky isn't falling:

• A lot of people believe Kincaid will turn into a go-to receiver.
  • A lot of people believe Shakir is blossoming into a good starter.
  • A lot of people believe Curtis Samuel is a good starter.
  • It's still a very deep WR class with a ton of guys that project as starting caliber WRs.
  • The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl in which their top receivers were a declining (albeit still very good) Travis Kelce, Rashee Rice, and Marques Valdes-Scantling.

If all of that stuff is true, we should still have a pretty good group of receivers even without trading up in the draft and probably a better group than some of the other contenders have had recently.

I don't know how much of that I actually believe though lol.

Samuel takes over Diggs routes. I saw his highlight film and i was-those are Diggs' routes, this won't work. now i get it. The questions for me is who will stretch the field? Shakir or a rookie maybe unless they expect Kincaid to be Kelce.

• Agree 2

Can hardly wait 'til McD starts touting the running game and complimentary football and further sabotages Allen.  I'm happy to move on from Diggs, but not a high powered passing offense.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

The more I sit here the more I am happy riding out the WR with a pick at 28. Draft OL, DL, LB, and S... Retool this year.

Next year in a healthy cap, 2 picks inside 40, another at 55-65ish we can move up if we want or draft 2 more WRs and more firepower.

Stay at 28. For the love of God. 

I can potentially get on board with this. No matter what, I won't quite know how to feel until the summer

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

A *Minnesota 2nd in 2025.

Minnesota, being one of the worst teams in the league. Their QB will either be a Rookie or Sam Darnold. Terrible Defense and the Offensive Line and RB are terrible too.

So it's equivalent to a high 3rd. Still not good enough imo

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Some folks are poo pooing the 2025 2nd round pick but if you combine it with the Bills #28 pick this year it could enable them to move up in the 1st round or add it to this years #2 pick and maybe jump back into the 1st round.

And since it's actually the Vikings 2nd round pick it should be pretty high as Minnesota is looking to have a down season this year.

I think they’ll use this year’s 1 and next year’s one plus the #2 from the trade and move into the top 5-10.  They walk away with one of the top 3 WRs in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

A little birdie has told me that One Bills Drive is partying today.  They could not wait another second to get that Diva out the door.  Every single person in the organization is happy.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

We’re we winning with Diggs with his last two seasons playoff performances? 

I mean really, it was time, especially with the abundance of WR talent available.  

Diggs is better than any rookie until proven otherwise, which is a complete unknown.  With 30 mil dead cap next season.  It was a bad decision. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

I would say a 2nd rounder is good compensation at this point in his career. The bad part of the trade is all the dead cap space. Who knows, maybe Beane is about to swing for the fences and trade up for a receiver in the draft.

Do folks just not understand that we won 6 straight games at the end of the year with Diggs pretty much being a non-factor?

The whole "we just gave up on 2024" narrative is just ridiculous given the weapons that we still have (and still have a draft and FA to acquire), plus another year of prime Josh Allen on the team

Frankly, I'm super glad that Beane made the hard decision NOW rather than go through another season of declining production, and off-field drama, while taking targets away from a younger receiving crew

• Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Diggs was a better teammate this year than I thought he would be. He had some outbursts in the past. But I also think part of that was him being a good soldier to get out. 

I think the hope is for the offense to be more in line with the the old NE and current KC offenses that feature the TE, pass catching RB's, and slot receivers. 

That said, I think they want Shakir on the outside, but I won't be shocked if he takes over for Samuel inside. I am pretty high on KS. 

Oh yea I don’t mean he’s gonna have public outbursts, it seems like his fire is gone and he’s just goin through the motions when someone else is featured in the offensive gameplan.  He just seemed less willing to fight through jams/make contested catches whenever I’d be watching him…could be anecdotal/wishful thinking now that he’s gone for sure though 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Wow!! Just saw this online and came here.

First thing for me is that I said again and again that it wouldn't happen, that there were way too many negatives for the Bills to cut him. But also that trading was at least possible, but really unlikely, unless he forced his way out.

So, first, I was wrong. I did put in the caveat, but I just didn't think it would happen. So, how wrong I was isn't possible to say exactly yet, but wrong. Significantly wrong.

Second, I have to fight my confirmation bias. Because I added the caveat, I have to fight an automatic belief that I know why this happened, that he did force his way out. I will try, for that reason, not to comment too much on the reasons it happened. My opinion is compromised.

It still seems like the most likely reason for this. But perhaps it wasn't quite that he forced his way out, but that it just began to look like if we kept going with him, it was going to become uncomfortable.

Just hear Anthony Prohaska from Cover1 say this, "Because of the financial implications, you don't make a move like this unless it's absolutely necessary from a roster perspective. from a team perspective, from a culture perspective."

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lK64gxxwMU

He continued, "The Bills right now, without Stefon Diggs on the field, are not a better football team than they were in 2023. Even a diminished version of Stefon Diggs is still a very very very good football player, and as we talked about, early in the season he was on a historic pace, another record-setting year for a #1 WR who had previous record-setting years here."

And, "No matter how you slice it, the Bills are not a better football team for moving Stefon Diggs, jettisoning him to the Houston Texans. And especially considering what they got back in that package, also having to give some picks themselves, it really just seems like a 'we've gotta get rid of this guy' kind of move, even though schematically and on the field it hurts you, in addition to the financial implications."

Yeah, that. Jettisoning appears to be the right word. Jeez. And I'm so depressed that that second rounder is from 2025, although I've seen at least one source say it was 2024. But nearly everyone says 2025. Man, depressing.

They have taken a major step back for this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

With two 2nd's next year, a high pick from next year is being used this year... I believe that to be the calculus.

We currently have Shakir and Samuel... We're getting two WR's in the Top 100 picks this year. 

Because this staff has shown a propensity to stock the O side?

I know they did last year but two years in a row?

Couple that with the fact with our S and LB situation and if I’m a betting person ( which I’m not) my money is on a S or LB in the first two picks this year. 
    Also, I know scared money don’t make money but after Sammy I’m reticent of trading a first to move up for a “ Sure fire, can’t miss” rookie WR.