Diggs traded to Texans for picks

10 minutes ago, BBFL said:

100% they’re taking a WR. Seems like there’s little other option. My concern isn’t that, my concern is immediately replacing the production that’s being sent out the door. 

Love him or hate him, over the course of a whole season he far and above facilitated the QB more than the guys we have on the books right now. 

Hope whoever this rookie is that they are the real deal. 

counter is if the bills think he was healthy last year the offense was productive without him being a focal point down the stretch 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This kind of stuff always makes me chuckle when I read it.  Chiefs defense stepping up in the playoffs is as responsible for their superbowl wins as their offense is.

Where is this supposed superstar receiver we just traded whenever we play the chiefs in the playoffs?  oh yea….locked down by the chiefs secondary lol 

Chiefs also traded the guy who always locks him down too 🙂

25 minutes ago, DJB said:

If that's the best they could get that alot of us on TBD value Diggs more than NFL GMs.  Even though, obviously most posters here ARE NFL GMs... :D :beer: 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can absolutely see something like that. I think the Bills trading into the top 10 just became possible. 

Sounds like a lot of dreaming, but anything is possible.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Cash said:

FWIW, I was fully on board with those trades at the time, even though I was bummed to lose Darby. Thought we got a good haul for both, and didn’t think Watkins would be much of a loss. (He wasn’t.)

I wasn’t happy about the Dareus trade, but that one was mostly wishful thinking on my part. Dareus was so good until he lost his motivation. 

As for this trade? I’m not raging out or crying doom & gloom, but I’m not happy either. Just feels like we’re gonna be told that a 2nd next year is just as good as a 1st, when the Bills trade way up to get a guy who’s not as good as Diggs in 2024. Now, if we keep next year’s #1 and hit on our top WR pick anyway? That’ll change my tune a bit. Also if Diggs does nothing in Houston, that would recalibrate this trade for me. 

I think the ‘dareus was so good until he lost his motivation’ is exactly what happened to diggs honestly.  The guy likes being a star but just doesn’t like playing the game anymore it seems like.  When other players start becoming the focal point of the offense it likely doesn’t sit well with him.  Felt like his effort level dropped right when Kincaid started makin a name for himself 

Just now, appoo said:

Bills absolutely need someone to win deep routes.  But they didn’t have that with Diggs.

They have 3 guys who can win routes underneath and intermediate now 

He was.  This year was the first time where those situations flipped.  Combination of relationship and maybe possibly projected decline. 

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I love it!!!!.......finally got rid of that dead weight boat anchor

Calling the best receiver we’ve had in 20 years a “boat anchor” is an impossibly shallow take 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One other clarification - no trade "costs" the team dead money. That money was already paid and always had to be accounted for against the cap, whether the player remained on the team or not. Trading (or releasing) the player just changes the "when" of the accounting. We were always going to eat that money against the cap - now we're just eating it all this year instead of spreading it out.

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This kind of stuff always makes me chuckle when I read it.  Chiefs defense stepping up in the playoffs is as responsible for their superbowl wins as their offense is.

Where is this supposed superstar receiver we just traded whenever we play the chiefs in the playoffs?  oh yea….locked down by the chiefs secondary lol 

Every damn time

• Thank you (+1) 1

The same guys crying about his tweets are crying about the trade?    The last 9 games of last season the guy averaged 4 for 48 with 0 touchdowns.   The Bills went 6-3.   The Bills have Josh Allen, they will be just fine.

Glad to see this look at me malcontent gone.    Maybe he shows out in Houston before he gets bored there too.  I couldnt care less.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

When you look at the Chiefs snap count on the field, Kelce led the “weapons” by being on the field 68.5% of the time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2023-snap-counts.htm

When you look at the Bills, we had Davis and Diggs over 80% of the time and Kinciad over 60%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2023-snap-counts.htm

Maybe, just maybe, the  Bills are going to have a complete change in philosophy on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

This season's performance is going to let us know what's going on, 7 Beane seasons in.  

The division sucks monkey nuts, we literally own Miami, they literally cannot beat us barring 100-degree temps with our players sitting in extreme heat, and even then couldn't outplay us.  A division win is expected, and if we cannot advance beyond the wild-card round again, that theory is going to be quite seriously challenged.  

As always, we'll see.  Hopefully we'll win a Super Bowl with this ragtag WR corps without a distinguished WR in the group.  Hopefully we'll bolster it with a WR in the 1st round.  

But it should be of concern, because we've been lectured for a full year now by both head coach and Allen how there's absolutely nothing to any of this Diggs's stuff.  That's not going to age well.  

The Bills offense will look different. Brady was already transitioning to more of a short passing game. We have two very good tight ends and a good pass catching running back. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bills go defense in this draft, trying to catch up with the Chiefs. 

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yup.  The extension was a reaction to pressure from Diggs and now the trade is a reaction to pressure from Diggs (Houston was his preferred destination) and so Beane has just put a “kick me” sign on his own nuts.  All of the agents know now that Beane is easy to manipulate.

Doesn't help Beane that his HC is wound tighter than a 1920s baseball and never wrong.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

I’m not sure about capital. They got a 2025 second, gave up a 6th this year and a 5th next year to move him. Feels like Beane got beat up on this one 

Beane didn’t do this trade and not have a plan, the guy doesn’t take a dump without a plan.  
   Fans always think there guys are worth more than they are, Diggs has been for the most part a non entity in in the playoffs for two seasons in a row now, on top of his whinny BS, this sort of performance gets people fired in the real world,  or in this case traded.
  Frankly I’m not concerned in the slightest over this, my bet is that the offense becomes less predictable and more dynamic. Chill out and watch what transpires between now and training camp, it’s all good. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

We have truly reached a trust the process moment with Beane and McDermott I have a hard time doing this but we are getting absolutely trashed in the national media over this trade right now. They must have some other move in mind cause if they’ve done this at face value man this Is rough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

If I'm reading it correctly, this trade appears to have opened up about $27M in 2025 cap space. I'm not mad at that at all.

And we will have a top 5 pick because we are not winning this year.... 🤦‍♂️ 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can absolutely see something like that. I think the Bills trading into the top 10 just became possible. 

DB taken at 28 confirmed

• Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I actually think getting a 2nd for Diggs (although it's 2025) is pretty good.

His contract is a mess, he's showing signs of decline, and he's on the wrong side of 30.

Oh and he's a pre madonna 

I would agree if it was a 2024 2nd... I know Rick Spielman is saying this may be the best WR Draft, heck even the best Draft overall in NFL history. It's the perfect storm of the covid and NIL fallout... This is a crazy good Draft year. 

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

Was a hell of a run. I'll still think of Diggs' time here fondly. 

Can anyone explain what this does to next year's cap?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this makes Diggs have 0 effect on the cap next year. All the dead money is pushed to this season. 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Calling the best receiver we’ve had in 20 years a “boat anchor” is an impossibly shallow take 

Yeah?!?.....we've only been relevant for the past 5 years and Diggs has only been with us for the past 4 years, so what else you got?

I like Curtis Samuel, I expect alot of the underneath and intermediate stuff Diggs was getting to go his way. I'm also looking forward to some exciting YAC plays too, that will be a nice change. If we draft one of the stud WR's this year, we'll be more explosive than last year. +1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Sounds like a lot of dreaming, but anything is possible.

I'm not sure it is dreaming. They now have the sort of ammunition you need to make it possible without completely mortgaging the future. It is going to take two ones and a two. They can't give up this year's #2 because they don't have a #3. They couldn't before give up next year's #1 and #2 without hollowing out their draft. They now are in a position where they can give up next year's 1 and one of their #2s and still have a 2nd, a 3rd and two 4s (comp formula allowing). That is still 4 picks in the top 130 or so. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane didn’t do this trade and not have a plan, the guy doesn’t take a dump without a plan.  
   Fans always think there guys are worth more than they are, Diggs has been for the most part a non entity in in the playoffs for two seasons in a row now, on top of his whinny BS, this sort of performance gets people fired in the real world,  or in this case traded.
  Frankly I’m not concerned in the slightest over this, my bet is that the offense becomes less predictable and more dynamic. Chill out and watch what transpires between now and training camp, it’s all good. 

Agree 100%. Also be interesting to see how Diggs performs in Houston.

• Thank you (+1) 1